PDA

View Full Version : TX/OK panhandle ryders

txknight67
01-15-2010, 08:51 PM
How many TX and OK panhandle ryders read this forum? Trying to pull together an eat and ryde or just a ryde some weekend....dependent on weather of course. I know not everyone is as insane as I am.:roflblack:

vwatso
01-15-2010, 10:11 PM
San Antonio

bikeguy
01-16-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm in Bronte. About thirty miles north of San Angelo. Have an RT ordered but I don't look for it before March 1 at the earliest and probably later. I spent a lot of time working all over the panhandle and western Oklahoma back a long time ago, but I never worked in Groom. Wife has kinfolks in Canyon so we still get up that way fairly often. When the RT comes in, we might get together for a meet and eat.

Cotton

Hamie
01-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Austin.....

txknight67
01-16-2010, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=bikeguy;172670]I'm in Bronte. About thirty miles north of San Angelo. Have an RT ordered but I don't look for it before March 1 at the earliest and probably later. I spent a lot of time working all over the panhandle and western Oklahoma back a long time ago, but I never worked in Groom. Wife has kinfolks in Canyon so we still get up that way fairly often. When the RT comes in, we might get together for a meet and eat.

Cotton[/QUOTE

I'm not surprised you didn't ever work in Groom. It's a small town of 500 something, not much goes on, but that can be a good thing.:D

March or so is probably the earliest the weather would turn nice enoughfor us to do something. Although this week is supposed to be "nice". In the high 50's to low 60's all week....and I am going to be in Philly all week.:( Sounds like a plan though. It's kind of hard pulling something together up here just because of the distances involved. I work in Amarillo and My Lady and I make the trip all the time, so meeting up there wouldn't be a big deal.

Good luck on getting your RT soonest. Are deliveries of the RT that slow?

Speaking of, even without the RT, if you're in the area sometime give us a shout. Like I said, My Lady and I are in Amarillo all the time. Canyons nothing from there.

bikeguy
01-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Yep, I've been through Groom and it's even smaller than Bronte, I think. Neither one is very big. But that's just the way I like it. But I've worked in a lot of small towns not much bigger than Groom. I was an unlocated cable splicer for General Telephone/GTE/Verizon many years ago in that part of the country. Probably the biggest town we worked in was Guymon, Ok.

I don't really expect the RT to be in much before the end of March but, who knows. I ordered a base RT, the cheapest model, so I'm sure they will fill all the orders for the more expensive models before beginning to build the cheaper ones. But the major difference between the models was audio equipment and I just don't listen to music or the radio when I'm riding, so I didn't spend the money for the audio equipment. I did order the heated passenger grips option so my wif'e hands would be warm.

Yeah, everything's far apart in west Texas but we're used to that. Maybe sometime this spring or summer, we will come up to Canyon to visit kinfolks and give you a holler.

Cotton

txknight67
01-18-2010, 03:02 AM
Yep, I've been through Groom and it's even smaller than Bronte, I think. Neither one is very big. But that's just the way I like it. But I've worked in a lot of small towns not much bigger than Groom. I was an unlocated cable splicer for General Telephone/GTE/Verizon many years ago in that part of the country. Probably the biggest town we worked in was Guymon, Ok.

I don't really expect the RT to be in much before the end of March but, who knows. I ordered a base RT, the cheapest model, so I'm sure they will fill all the orders for the more expensive models before beginning to build the cheaper ones. But the major difference between the models was audio equipment and I just don't listen to music or the radio when I'm riding, so I didn't spend the money for the audio equipment. I did order the heated passenger grips option so my wif'e hands would be warm.

Yeah, everything's far apart in west Texas but we're used to that. Maybe sometime this spring or summer, we will come up to Canyon to visit kinfolks and give you a holler.

Cotton

"General Telephone"....that tells me how long ago it was.:D

My Lady and I like small towns too. Life is just so different in small towns. I mean, where else would the school bus stop at the grocery store and let all 5 of the kids out to get soda's and some snacks before they get run home? Also where the grocery store owner bakes cookies every Friday and has them out for the kids to grab a few?

Do you have a deposit down on the RT already? It might be worth your while to check with the Spyder dealer here in Amarillo. The owner of Amarillo Outdoor & Sports gets stuff from BRP pretty quick. He got my GPS in about 2 - 3 weeks and there are people on the board that have been waiting 10 weeks. I wonder if he couldn't pull in an RT quicker than most as well. The only thing he had trouble getting for me was a set of shoulder/elbow/knee pads when I first bought my :spyder:. It took four months to come in, but that wasn't his fault....they just plain didn't have any made.

Yeah, we're used to the distances as well. My mom came up to Lubbock with some group she belonged to and she asked if we would want to come pick her up for the weekend. We said sure, no problem. While we were driving back she made some comment about if she'd known it was that far she wouldn't have asked. We told her this is West TX/Panhandle distances, Lubbock is "close". She just shook her head.

bikeguy
01-20-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't really remember when General Telephone became GTE but I went to work for them in 1959. I've worked in Clarendon, Hedley, Memphis, Panhandle, and a lot more. It was common for us to drive 80 or 90 miles from Dalhart to Amarillo just to eat supper or go see a movie, then drive back home.

Groom sounds like a nice place. For sure you've got a good grocery store that takes care of kids. Seems like people in small towns are always good about taking care of kids. They don't have much trouble with kids either.

Yes, I've already paid a deposit on the Spyder. I don't know but I kinda doubt that BRP has even begun building the base model RT, yet. Nobdy on here has mentioned seeing one except the pre-production model that Lamonster saw when he picked up his RT5 loaner. They didn't have one at the International Trade Show in Dallas and they had everything else. So I just don't think they are ready, yet. I'm hoping for the first of March but not really expecting to see it before the first of April.

Cotton

speedster200
02-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I would like to join you for a ride. Let me know when and I will post it on our shops facebook page to get more riders to join in.

Ghost_Ryder
02-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I live in San Antonio but if you give me enough lead time and pick a 3-day weekend I'm open to coming up for a ride. I made the trip from San Antonio to Shamrock, TX to start my Rt. 66 ride in June 2009. Went through Groom and Amarillo on my way west. Did a detour through Palo Duro Canyon SP and of course I had to stop at the Big Texan and Cadillac Ranch.