PDA

View Full Version : Gave up my RT today

Lamonster
01-14-2010, 09:50 PM
My dealer (East TN ATV) delivered my RS to me today. They got my DPS back in shape and while they were here they picked up my RT to bring back to their shop and BRP will be taking it back to CA for some more updates. I'm not sure when I'll get it back or if it will be a different unit but I hope they bring it back with a trailer too. :doorag:

I will say that East TN ATV went out of their way to take care of me. When I picked up my RS the first time it through a code about 10 miles from the shop. They sent a truck to pick it up and said they would bring it to me when it was fixed. That was pretty cool seeing it's over 80 miles round trip. So far I really like these guys. :thumbup:

NancysToy
01-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Sorry to hear you had to bid your RT goodbye. Hope you get a replacement. Nice to hear your RS is fixed, though...and nice to hear about any dealer that goes above and beyond.

Derwin
01-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Sad that you had to give the RT back, but I bet your really happy to be back in the saddle of your RS. I mean, don't you have something like 50,000 miles on it? I"m sure you must have missed it!

Derwin

redspyderlady
01-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I agree. We have been very happy with our dealing with East TN ATV as well.

groundeffect
01-15-2010, 06:05 AM
My dealer (East TN ATV) delivered my RS to me today. They got my DPS back in shape and while they were here they picked up my RT to bring back to their shop and BRP will be taking it back to CA for some more updates. I'm not sure when I'll get it back or if it will be a different unit but I hope they bring it back with a trailer too. :doorag:

I will say that East TN ATV went out of their way to take care of me. When I picked up my RS the first time it through a code about 10 miles from the shop. They sent a truck to pick it up and said they would bring it to me when it was fixed. That was pretty cool seeing it's over 80 miles round trip. So far I really like these guys. :thumbup:

Glad to hear of good dealers out there.

So, why did you give up your RT, today? Was it a temporary loan for testing from BRP, or was there something wrong with it and you're letting it go in for diagnostics or repair?

Glad you got your RS back to ride. Do you think you'll miss the RT? Maybe you'll ride the RS in a more sporty fashion then the RT?

Cheers and all the best.

tatt2r
01-15-2010, 09:59 AM
sometimes the best things in life are RS .....:2thumbs:

Lamonster
01-15-2010, 10:23 AM
sometimes the best things in life are RS .....:2thumbs:
When I got on the RS it just felt right to me. Seems like all I can think of now is a Spyabusa though. :D

WizardMaster
01-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Seems like all I can think of now is a Spyabusa though. :D

Me too, Me too. Can I be the first test pilot????? Please?????:2thumbs:

Lamonster
01-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Me too, Me too. Can I be the first test pilot????? Please?????:2thumbs:
I don't know about the first but you can leave a carbon footprint if you like. :2thumbs:

Some Guy
01-15-2010, 10:43 AM
At least this way you didn't have to give up the RT on your birthday! :D

M2Wild
01-15-2010, 11:32 AM
When I got on the RS it just felt right to me. Seems like all I can think of now is a Spyabusa though. :D

Something like this?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16588

Lamonster
01-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Something like this?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16588

Not really. Mine will look pretty much like a stock Spyder but will have a Busa powerplant. It will be a sleeper for sure. :doorag:

M2Wild
01-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Not really. Mine will look pretty much like a stock Spyder but will have a Busa powerplant. It will be a sleeper for sure. :doorag:

Only a sleeper until none of us can catch up to you on road trips.:D

Lamonster
01-15-2010, 11:54 AM
I got to figure out if I want to go jackshaft or extended sprocket / OSD. :popcorn:

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/busa-mods/157419d1252447419-jackshaft-conversion-osd-dscn1133.jpg

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/busa-mods/157436d1252447858-jackshaft-conversion-osd-dsc00361.jpg
http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/busa-mods/157438d1252447996-jackshaft-conversion-osd-dsc00364.jpg

WizardMaster
01-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Jackshaft! This way if you want to down the road make a wider swingarm to TRY and get some of the power to the ground. A nice 360mm would look cool:yes:.

Lamonster
01-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Jackshaft! This way if you want to down the road make a wider swingarm to TRY and get some of the power to the ground. A nice 360mm would look cool:yes:.
They both have good points and bad points. Right now I'm leaning toward the outside drive just because once it's setup for what you want it's done and is much easier to maintain.

barb36jack31
01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
If the rear wheel bearings are a problem with the current Spyder engine, what on earth will be the result with a Hyabusa engine?

Jack H.

Extracool
01-16-2010, 09:43 AM
East TN ATV is tops in my book, they act aas if you are their most important customer every time you come in, fast service, and when you make an appointment, they are very close on time,no 2 to 3 hr wait to get in.:agree::agree::clap:

Lamonster
01-16-2010, 09:46 AM
If the rear wheel bearings are a problem with the current Spyder engine, what on earth will be the result with a Hyabusa engine?

Jack H.
The thing that is hard on the wheel bearings is the pressure on the belt. With a chain drive you won't need that kind of pressure.

Lamonster
01-16-2010, 09:49 AM
East TN ATV is tops in my book, they act aas if you are their most important customer every time you come in, fast service, and when you make an appointment, they are very close on time,no 2 to 3 hr wait to get in.:agree::agree::clap:
Out of the two dealers near me East TN ATV have proven to be a better place to take my Spyder when I have to. :doorag:

RShrimp
01-16-2010, 10:57 AM
The thing that is hard on the wheel bearings is the pressure on the belt. With a chain drive you won't need that kind of pressure.

Thats not really 100% true. While the belt pressure is constant the HP is simply "yanking your chain" (pulling real hard on the top of the chain)

You can create a whole bunch of force trying to rip the sprocket off in a forward direction.
Having said that, you should be fine as the loads will be temporary (only under acceleration)

Sounds like a great idea but be careful!

The Jack shaft will use HP in the conversion (not that that should really be an issue!)

I have already given the Sypder thing a good deal of thought.
If I have steering issues then I will simply "eliminate the threat"
With the engine change you will eliminate the Canbus the ECM the Nanny and likely the DPS all in one shot.
I like it!
Keep your mesurements for all the brackets you build.
I see a kit coming!(some assembly required)

docdoru
01-17-2010, 08:50 AM
I see a kit coming!
The new SS Class: Spyder on Steroids! :D

WaltH
01-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Lamont:

Earlier you said you wanted to try your new Elka shocks on the RT. Did this ever happen, and how did it turn out? I hope the shocks are not on their way to California.

I am curious as to why you refer to your GS model as a RS model??? Is this what BRP wants? Are they trying to change the image of the GS?

NancysToy
01-17-2010, 09:30 AM
I am curious as to why you refer to your GS model as a RS model??? Is this what BRP wants? Are they trying to change the image of the GS?
The first model designation for the original Spyder was, indeed, the GS. For 2010 they changed the designation to RS, for Roadster Sport, to coincide with the new RT, or Roadster Touring. I don't think it is so much a change of image, as to try to coordinate the overall product line, and to bring some meaning to the names. For all practical purposes, the terms GS and RS are interchangeable.

tatt2r
01-17-2010, 09:53 AM

"LE BONSAI":thumbup:

Lamonster
01-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Lamont:

Earlier you said you wanted to try your new Elka shocks on the RT. Did this ever happen, and how did it turn out? I hope the shocks are not on their way to California.

Soon as I get an RT that I know I'm going to keep I'll be putting the Elkas on.

They did change the name of the GS, I'm just using the current name for the same Spyder.

WaltH
01-17-2010, 10:47 AM
The first model designation for the original Spyder was, indeed, the GS. For 2010 they changed the designation to RS, for Roadster Sport, to coincide with the new RT, or Roadster Touring. I don't think it is so much a change of image, as to try to coordinate the overall product line, and to bring some meaning to the names. For all practical purposes, the terms GS and RS are interchangeable.

I am fully aware of the facts underlying the model designations. My curiosity has to do with motivation, and particularly BRP's possible motivation to blur the distinction between model years.

The 2008 and 2009 Spyders will always be GS models. They will never be RS models. The GS designation has a time stamp on it. If I tell you that I had a great ride on my RS today, you would be entitled to think I have a 2010 model Spyder. This would not be correct. I have a 2009 Spyder. It would be better for BRP to draw a clear line between years, implying that the 2010 RS is somehow better than the old GS.

Obviously, this is not an important issue. I don't know how I got off on this tangent. If you want to call your GS a RS go right ahead. I will take RS to mean anything that isn't a RT.

NancysToy
01-17-2010, 11:18 AM
I am fully aware of the facts underlying the model designations. My curiosity has to do with motivation, and particularly BRP's possible motivation to blur the distinction between model years.

The 2008 and 2009 Spyders will always be GS models. They will never be RS models. The GS designation has a time stamp on it. If I tell you that I had a great ride on my RS today, you would be entitled to think I have a 2010 model Spyder. This would not be correct. I have a 2009 Spyder. It would be better for BRP to draw a clear line between years, implying that the 2010 RS is somehow better than the old GS.

Obviously, this is not an important issue. I don't know how I got off on this tangent. If you want to call your GS a RS go right ahead. I will take RS to mean anything that isn't a RT.
I was not party to what BRP did, and I certainly can't speak to their motivation, nor can anyone outside BRP. I merely ventured a guess. It certainly did not warrant having you jump down my throat. Call it what you please, ride what you please, but try to be tolerant of what other people wish to do or say.

To me it is a GS, since that's what we bought it as, but it does seem more meaningful to think of it as Roadster Sport, since GS has no apparent meaning. Of course to me RT means the BMW in my garage, so the second Spyder is the RT-S. Maybe they should have used numbers to keep from confusing old guys like me. :D

Your thoughts do bring up an interesting philosophical question. Following the same reasoning, is an owner of a modern Mustang or Camaro entitled to think they have a true, sixties auto...or vice versa? These advertising ploys are commonplace...and pretty much meaningless.

LDFIREWORKS
01-17-2010, 11:41 AM
very cool i LIKE that alot:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2excited:

WaltH
01-17-2010, 06:58 PM
I was not party to what BRP did, and I certainly can't speak to their motivation, nor can anyone outside BRP. I merely ventured a guess. It certainly did not warrant having you jump down my throat. Call it what you please, ride what you please, but try to be tolerant of what other people wish to do or say.

To me it is a GS, since that's what we bought it as, but it does seem more meaningful to think of it as Roadster Sport, since GS has no apparent meaning. Of course to me RT means the BMW in my garage, so the second Spyder is the RT-S. Maybe they should have used numbers to keep from confusing old guys like me. :D

Your thoughts do bring up an interesting philosophical question. Following the same reasoning, is an owner of a modern Mustang or Camaro entitled to think they have a true, sixties auto...or vice versa? These advertising ploys are commonplace...and pretty much meaningless.

Scotty: I apologize for giving offense when none was intended. I agree with you. It does not matter what someone calls their motorcycle. I just call mine a "Spyder".

NancysToy
01-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Scotty: I apologize for giving offense when none was intended. I agree with you. It does not matter what someone calls their motorcycle. I just call mine a "Spyder".
Hey, everything is cool! An interesting thought occured to me along this line. I realized that GS, RS, or RT do not appear anywhere on the Spyder except in the advertising. No emblems, nothing on the VIN plate, nothing. Does this seem odd to anyone but me, especially with the new model designations, like RS-S and RT-S? Ponder that for a while. :dontknow: Good, probing questions and commentary.

jwfranklin
01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Hey, everything is cool! An interesting thought occured to me along this line. I realized that GS, RS, or RT do not appear anywhere on the Spyder except in the advertising. No emblems, nothing on the VIN plate, nothing. Does this seem odd to anyone but me, especially with the new model designations, like RS-S and RT-S? Ponder that for a while. :dontknow: Good, probing questions and commentary.

I believe om the new RS-S there is a decal under Spyder, that says RS-S. I know my dealer had one a few weeks ago and I think I remember seeing it. Will probably be there Tue. and will see if they still have it.

bone crusher
01-17-2010, 11:20 PM

I think they're interchangeable. Scotty is I believe correct when he mentioned how BRP wanted the lines to sound similar...one for sport and one for touring...as far as saying you ride a GS vs. a RS, nobody is really gonna know the difference...I say I ride a SM5...as it is, there is little to no differences between years 2008-2010...the white and blue are good-looking though. They're all the same though...

BRP is still figuring out what to do with these things in terms of marketing, names, etc...they iron out the details as they go...they figure out what to do with the bikes as they hear our feedback.

GS/RS/SM5/SE5 are the same in regards to the bike type...the RT is clearly not, neither by appearance nor function...it's a good looking bike...saw one at the IMS in DC this weekend...