PDA

View Full Version : Got the Spyder back!

txknight67
01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Picked my Spyder up from the dealer this morning. The parts they were waiting on were for the canister vent tube mod. Also the ECM update was done as well as the GPS change out I dropped it off for.

Some quick observations on my 5 mile shakedown run to work, mostly highway. The throttle doesn't seem to be as "jumpy" as it was. I can roll on it from a stop and get a smooth take off where before the gas came on quick. Same for accelerating at highway speeds, before, the acceleration came on with small throttle movements; made maintaining speed on the highway a little difficult. I know it is a mechanical linkage, but did they change the fuel mapping? Not as much fuel as soon as the throttle opens or in response to throttle movement? Maybe it is tied to the GPS change out?:dontknow:

Almost positive (99.9% sure:D) it isn't just my mind playing tricks on me, the bike is definitely much easier to ride in the city than before all this maintenance. Before it was a fine line between stalling and jumping forward. Now it is very easy to operate in stop and go traffic.

Concerning the steering, I can tell DPS is definitely off at highway speeds now, before it felt like it was trying to provide artificial feedback or something? The initial input requires a little more effort than pre-GPS change out, but the response from the wheels is immediate, feels like I am directly connected to the wheels, not fighting with something like I was before. I never thought about it because it was that way from the day I got it, but now that I have something to compare it too....and that was even when I wasn't dealing with the catch.

In the little bit of city driving I did, didn't notice any difference with the DPS, but all my issues were at highway speeds.

Will keep everyone updated as I get more miles on it.

truck 85
01-13-2010, 09:27 PM
:congrats::congrats::2thumbs::2thumbs:

groundeffect
01-13-2010, 09:44 PM
:congrats: - good stuff.

Would like to hear more of your notes as you get a few more miles in. Glad you have your Spyder back.!:D

Ride Safe.

speedster200
01-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Please keep me informed about the performance. I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you when you picked it up. I'm curious to find out if it changed the fuel mileage. I think the gear position sensor change helped with it's cold idle. The canister vent tube change is a positive move. Now the canister is vented below the unit instead of venting right beside the hot cylinder head & exhaust. This will cut down on a possible fire danger.:clap:
Enjoy the ride.

txknight67
01-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Please keep me informed about the performance. I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you when you picked it up. I'm curious to find out if it changed the fuel mileage. I think the gear position sensor change helped with it's cold idle. The canister vent tube change is a positive move. Now the canister is vented below the unit instead of venting right beside the hot cylinder head & exhaust. This will cut down on a possible fire danger.:clap:
Enjoy the ride.

No worries, you were busy making money and I had an appointment I had to get to.:D

I'll keep you up to date and if I forget, just check this thread, I will probably do better at keeping it up to date.

Oh, and wanted to say "You DA MAN!" after reading about some of the people on here waiting 6 to 10 weeks for that sensor. Don't know who you know, but glad you are my dealer.:2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
01-14-2010, 09:28 PM
That Engine Performance Update should have corrected your rough running, and may also improve your fuel mileage now. I think if you would have paid close attention to it, you would have found that the lunging and roughness was happening between 3,000 and 4,000 RPMs.

:congrats: on getting your Spyder back on the road.

txknight67
01-14-2010, 10:53 PM
That Engine Performance Update should have corrected your rough running, and may also improve your fuel mileage now. I think if you would have paid close attention to it, you would have found that the lunging and roughness was happening between 3,000 and 4,000 RPMs.

:congrats: on getting your Spyder back on the road.

Didn't really have the time, I was busy making sure the guy behind wasn't about to crawl up my fender and that I didn't jump into the bumper of the guy in front of me.:yikes:. Going by ear though I would say you are right.

txknight67
01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Got another 160 miles on the bike and so far no more steering problem. Engine is also running smoother.

Just filled up the tank last night and unsure of the miles at pickup, so will be awhile before I can put up any MPG numbers as I am going to be in Philly on business all next week.

SpyderWolf
01-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Glad to hear your issues seem to be resolved.