PDA

View Full Version : DPS and passenger question

wyliec
01-08-2010, 10:43 AM
When Spring comes I plan on riding the Spyder whether or not BRP has resolved the DPS issue.

My questioin is- My g.f. enjoys riding passenger; but, I don't think it would be a good idea putting her safety at risk. Those who ride two up, am I right or wrong?

ameobe
01-08-2010, 11:02 AM
If you feel it would be unsafe for her to ryde, wouldn't it be fair to say it would be unsafe for you?:dontknow:

NancysToy
01-08-2010, 11:13 AM
This is a very personal decision...to be made by you and your girlfriend together. A lot depends on her feelings about the risks, your skills as a rider, and her skills and attentiveness as a passenger. The way your Spyder is equipped may enter into it, too. It is easier for a passenger to be stable if there is a backrest or footrest extensions. Your comfort level is a factor, too. You need to be honest with her if you are uneasy about taking her for a ride.

I personally don't feel the risk is too high for me, or my wife. Then again, I have raced about everything with a hull, tracks, or wheels, jumped out of perfectly good airplanes, and SCUBA dove with sharks and barracuda. Who the heck am I to judge risk? :dontknow: I have had two steering excursions, and they didn't bother me that much. A lot like wrestling an old Triumph through the dirt, or driving a sidecar rig. That is merely my reaction and opinion, and applies to nobody but me.

My wife has been made aware of the issues, and has thought about how to react. She has practiced the methods of recovery, although it is hard to do without an actual steering problem. She remains confident in her ability to recover, or to kill the engine, pull in the clutch, and coast to a stop, using body english if necessary to make the Spyder go where she wants, much like an ATV. She has practiced these maneuvers.

Talk to your girlfriend honestly. Search your heart and hers for an answer that will suit you both. Not everyone will make the same decision, and the only advice to listen to is that in your own heads. Nothing else counts.

SpyderWolf
01-08-2010, 05:48 PM
This is a very personal decision...to be made by you and your girlfriend together. A lot depends on her feelings about the risks, your skills as a rider, and her skills and attentiveness as a passenger. The way your Spyder is equipped may enter into it, too. It is easier for a passenger to be stable if there is a backrest or footrest extensions. Your comfort level is a factor, too. You need to be honest with her if you are uneasy about taking her for a ride.

I personally don't feel the risk is too high for me, or my wife. Then again, I have raced about everything with a hull, tracks, or wheels, jumped out of perfectly good airplanes, and SCUBA dove with sharks and barracuda. Who the heck am I to judge risk? :dontknow: I have had two steering excursions, and they didn't bother me that much. A lot like wrestling an old Triumph through the dirt, or driving a sidecar rig. That is merely my reac`tion and opinion, and applies to nobody but me.

My wife has been made aware of the issues, and has thought about how to react. She has practiced the methods of recovery, although it is hard to do without an actual steering problem. She remains confident in her ability to recover, or to kill the engine, pull in the clutch, and coast to a stop, using body english if necessary to make the Spyder go where she wants, much like an ATV. She has practiced these maneuvers.

Talk to your girlfriend honestly. Search your heart and hers for an answer that will suit you both. Not everyone will make the same decision, and the only advice to listen to is that in your own heads. Nothing else counts.

:agree: :agree: :agree: 1,000%

Very well stated Scotty.

D&J's#2
01-08-2010, 08:02 PM
:2thumbs:I also say very well put Scotty, but will also add that my wife and I have put almost 9,000 :yes::ohyea:mi. on ours and most of it has been two up. If I ever had a question as to whether or not the Spyder was safe to ryde with her on-I'd get rid of it, period:doorag:

Smylinacha
01-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Well, it depends. Depends if you can see how your g.f. feels once she knows fully about the steering issue and it also depends how confident you are in handling an emergency situation if it might happen. Put those both together and you'll have your answer :) Nobody else can tell you - it's what comes from your girl and you! Now once ryding season comes and if any of the kids want on the back of the bike with me, I would put them on w/ me. They would get the steering quirk thing explained to them. If they still wanna go on the back then I'd let them since I feel confident that I could get myself safe from an emergency situation. But there will always be that "nervous feeling" which sucks. But if you can handle that, then you can do it. AND if anything were to happen and you knew how to handle it, then after the fact march down to your attorney's office and take it from there.

When Spring comes I plan on riding the Spyder whether or not BRP has resolved the DPS issue.

My questioin is- My g.f. enjoys riding passenger; but, I don't think it would be a good idea putting her safety at risk. Those who ride two up, am I right or wrong?

Way2Fast
01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Most of my riding on the Spyder has been double up with my wife. I usually use a 2 wheel bike when I ride alone. My wife was with me on both occasions when the steering acted up. Now she would have to be forcefully placed on the rear seat if I wanted her to ride it with me. Decisions such as this are best left up to the individual as to what their perception of danger is. There is no simple answer.