PDA

View Full Version : New Windshield

Desert Spyder
01-08-2010, 07:32 AM
I just got through ordering the RoboBrkt & MadStad shield after some agonizing thought for months into what to get. I'm looking forward to see if I made a wise decision. Thoughts?

ameobe
01-08-2010, 08:55 AM
:congrats: Have seen posts in the past with that set up & not one complaint.:thumbup:

SpyderWolf
01-08-2010, 05:49 PM
:congrats: I have only heard good reports on them so far as well.

Please update this thread once you get the windscreen installed, and let us know if it meets your expectations.

Capt John
01-08-2010, 06:03 PM
This is going to be my next mod. I think you made a good choice.

Hamie
01-08-2010, 07:43 PM
I have this setup with a 22" smoke tinted shield...be careful when tightening the screws for the shield. I have got circle scratches around all my screws...guess must be my nails touching the windshield while tightening them. I have been removing the shield a lot to adjust the brackets.. trying to stop a noisy helmet when the visor is closed...

dltang
01-12-2010, 12:40 AM
I have this setup with a 22" smoke tinted shield...be careful when tightening the screws for the shield. I have got circle scratches around all my screws...guess must be my nails touching the windshield while tightening them. I have been removing the shield a lot to adjust the brackets.. trying to stop a noisy helmet when the visor is closed...

I just adjust it with the shield on. It is a bit of a pain but no more so than taking the shield on and off and this way I can see where the shield will be.

Hamie
01-12-2010, 07:31 AM
I just adjust it with the shield on. It is a bit of a pain but no more so than taking the shield on and off and this way I can see where the shield will be.

Thanks, I do it both ways depending on where the shield is positioned. Still trying to find that happy place where my helmet is quiet..

MarkLawson
01-12-2010, 08:17 AM
...trying to stop a noisy helmet when the visor is closed...

I was looking at my face shield (Shoei RF1000) the other day and noticed that 3 of the four screws that hold that mechanism together were loose. One was completely unthreaded, but still in place because the shield itself kept it from falling out. Anyway, I retightened all those screws and found my helmet to be quieter.

You might give it a try...

Desert Spyder
01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks, I do it both ways depending on where the shield is positioned. Still trying to find that happy place where my helmet is quiet..

Whats your height and inseam Hamie?

Hamie
01-12-2010, 09:12 AM

5" 11" with 30 inch inseam....

dltang
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Keep looking, you will find the sweet spot. I am 5' 6 1/2" tall with 30 inch inseam, but I am long waisted and my height is in my torso; and my husband is 6'4" with a 36 inch inseam. We both have the 20" Madstad Windshield and we have both found our sweet spot. Also, as was mentioned, consider testing it with a different helmet as well.

Tom in NM
01-12-2010, 01:02 PM

. . . . one thing I do to test out the adjustment of my RoboBrackets and Windshield is when I am riding I use my hands to feel where the 'rider envelope'. Sure, it looks stupid to anyone watching and you may get some 'waves' back, but I find it interesting to 'feel' where it is at different speeds.

Also, since my helmet is noisy and extremely sensitive to any turbulence, another thing that 'tests' out the adjustment is this simple exercise. At your 'usual' highway speed, slide forward on the seat while keeping your head at the same level. On some settings, in my normal rider position, my helmet is picking up some turbulence and noise - but if I slide forward about 6 inches, the noise suddenly stops. I then tweak the shield to get the 'Quiet Zone' in my natural position.

I was really surprised at how a few inches forward or back in my sitting position can make a world of difference.

Tom

SpyderGirl
01-12-2010, 02:32 PM
This is definitely one of my next mods. :2thumbs:

Desert Spyder
01-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Whats the estimated delivery time from these guys?

bjt
01-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Keep looking, you will find the sweet spot. I am 5' 6 1/2" tall with 30 inch inseam, but I am long waisted and my height is in my torso; and my husband is 6'4" with a 36 inch inseam. We both have the 20" Madstad Windshield and we have both found our sweet spot. Also, as was mentioned, consider testing it with a different helmet as well.

I found that I enjoy riding in clean air so my definition of sweet spot is potentially different than what others (or even what I used to) consider a sweet spot. I actually get a fair amount of air around my helmet and torso but it's much smoother than if I ride with the stock windshield.

musicarcade
01-12-2010, 09:42 PM
I originally purchased the robobrackets w/ the 20" screen and found wind buffeting the top of my head. I'm 6' and a 32"inseam. I had wanted one of these for so long that I had an old bookmark that I had ordered from. When I realized there was a 22" sheild I called them and Mark (?) told me he would ship me the 22" shield and to send the 20" back in the box the new one came in. The 22" works great. I am very happy w/ my purchase!:clap:

Hamie
01-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Whats the estimated delivery time from these guys?

UPS Ground was about 6 days I believe for mine...

lawdogg357
01-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Was just told mine is enroute. I ordered the 22" clear, hope it stops me from feeling like a bobble head on the freeway. I'm 6'6" with a 34" inseam.

Desert Spyder
01-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Was just told mine is enroute. I ordered the 22" clear, hope it stops me from feeling like a bobble head on the freeway. I'm 6'6" with a 34" inseam.

Wow! If it works for you that will be a great testimonial.

lawdogg357
01-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow! If it works for you that will be a great testimonial.
Now you have me worried that it won't do me any good.:dontknow:

bjt
01-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Now you have me worried that it won't do me any good.:dontknow:

It'll do you some good but how good is the question. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and I like mine just fine. Potentially, the top of your helmet will be 4" taller than mine is so I can't say for sure what your experience with the Madstad will be. Plus, everyone has their own ideas of what's an acceptable amount of airflow and what isn't.

Dragonrider
01-13-2010, 09:36 PM
I have the Robos & the 22" shield - I'm 6'4" and the Madstad is far better than my old 31" F-1, however, everyone has the right to their opinion... The bracket are really robust, and allow for mounting a GPS in a great location, over the instruments...

Desert Spyder
01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
I have the Robos & the 22" shield - I'm 6'4" and the Madstad is far better than my old 31" F-1, however, everyone has the right to their opinion... The bracket are really robust, and allow for mounting a GPS in a great location, over the instruments...

Another plus +.:2thumbs:

lawdogg357
01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Got my windshield and brackets yesterday.:yes: Will try and install tommorrow and test, everyone cross your fingers.

lawdogg357
01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
It'll do you some good but how good is the question. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and I like mine just fine. Potentially, the top of your helmet will be 4" taller than mine is so I can't say for sure what your experience with the Madstad will be. Plus, everyone has their own ideas of what's an acceptable amount of airflow and what isn't.
Only want to stop looking like I'm playing Rock-It Sock-It with the wind and losing.

lawdogg357
01-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Are the brackets suppose to be identical or is one desinated for the right and one for the left? The ones I recieved were identical and would not mount as per the directions. :gaah:

mrb
01-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Are the brackets suppose to be identical or is one desinated for the right and one for the left? The ones I recieved were identical and would not mount as per the directions. :gaah:
There is a left and a right. Sounds like an "OOps" Let Mark know I am sure he will fix ASAP.

spyderflyer
01-16-2010, 06:11 PM
:thumbup:if you need any help let me know

Desert Spyder
01-16-2010, 07:36 PM
:thumbup:if you need any help let me know

Will do neighbor

lawdogg357
01-17-2010, 01:39 PM
There is a left and a right. Sounds like an "OOps" Let Mark know I am sure he will fix ASAP.
Thanks, I'll call Monday.

Desert Spyder
01-20-2010, 07:50 AM
The windshield and brackets (rt & lt) arrived yesterday. :clap:
Looks simple enough to put together. Adjustment might be a pickle.
The good news: its raining in SouCal (we need it).
The bad news: I have no garage, just a carport. Hopefully the wind is blowing away from the open side.
I've never driven the Spyder in the rain (no rain). Whats it like?

SpyderWolf
01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
The Spyder handles pretty well in the rain. The main thing you need to look out for is standing water on the road, as it can hydroplane some if you get into deeper puddles. There was a time when I first got my Spyder that I had more miles on it in the rain than I did in nice weather.

Desert Spyder
01-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Finally was able to take my :spyder2: out for a spin with the new MadStad shield and RoboBrkts. My head wasn't bouncing around as usual even at 90 mph. Unfortunately there was a stiff cross wind going on so we can't protect ourselves from that. Installation was a breeze. I have to play around with the pitch and height as I go along but all in all I think it was a good buy. Oh, I can hear the music in my helmet better as well. :2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
01-22-2010, 09:10 PM
:congrats: Glad to hear it is doing the job for you.

spyderflyer
01-23-2010, 09:09 PM
i seen it i like it:f_spider:

Desert Spyder
01-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Your cruise control is pretty groovy too Danno. I still can't get over this "vibrating" vision with the new windshield. I don't know if its the wind turbulence going over the shield, my helmet going through v-fib, or so sort of optical illusion. Anybody else experience this "phenomona (sp)"?

PS...at the moment the shield is pretty much straight up.

dltang
01-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Your cruise control is pretty groovy too Danno. I still can't get over this "vibrating" vision with the new windshield. I don't know if its the wind turbulence going over the shield, my helmet going through v-fib, or so sort of optical illusion. Anybody else experience this "phenomona (sp)"?

PS...at the moment the shield is pretty much straight up.

Please explain "vibrating" vision. Are you trying to look through the shield vs. over it? I am not sure why any windshield, good or bad would cause you "vibrating" vision unless you were looking through the shield. Between you visor or glasses and the plastic of the shield, I could see where you could get some distortion.

jsmiley
01-24-2010, 05:35 PM

Same here, with so many positions available I adjust with the shield-on to see what I am dealing with.

This setup is great and was a big improvement over the stock. Just getting the wind off of my chest was enough for me during the winter.

It can go up higher, but I position it so my eyes are 1 inch above the top. I get a little wind noise, but not bad with my helmet.

I got the 20inch light smoke and am 5'11" w/30 inch inseam. Great product!

Desert Spyder
01-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Please explain "vibrating" vision. Are you trying to look through the shield vs. over it? I am not sure why any windshield, good or bad would cause you "vibrating" vision unless you were looking through the shield. Between you visor or glasses and the plastic of the shield, I could see where you could get some distortion.

Hi Donna, no, I'm not looking through the shield. It was really weird, I wasn't expecting it. I thought I was seeing things so I looked out the side and all was clear. I returned to the upright position and the "vibrating" vision returned. It may be because the shield was at a near 90 degree position. I'll have to reduce the pitch and find out. If anybody else has had this happen to them I'd like to hear about it. Otherwise, this shield is great!