PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed about Exhausts

Questions
01-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I recently bought a Spyder and want to get an aftermarket pipe(s). I was seriously considering the dual, carbon fiber Two Brothers exhaust until I heard the Micron on Youtube. I want it to sound good but I don't want it to be obnoxious either. I haven't heard any in person so any input would be helpful. Thanks!

docdoru
01-07-2010, 06:55 PM
welcome and :congrats: for your FL :spyder::thumbup:
Hindle.

txknight67
01-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I recently bought a Spyder and want to get an aftermarket pipe(s). I was seriously considering the dual, carbon fiber Two Brothers exhaust until I heard the Micron on Youtube. I want it to sound good but I don't want it to be obnoxious either. I haven't heard any in person so any input would be helpful. Thanks!

I like my Hindle, but then I am like you, I only had the stock exhaust to compare too and in My Lady's and my opinion almost anything has to sound better than that.

BajaRon
01-07-2010, 06:59 PM

If you don't want obnoxious then you don't want the 2 Bros dual setup. It's at about the top of the list for loud.

I've tried several setups including the Micron (which isn't as loud as the 2Bros. twins but still very loud). The Hindle is a big favorite and I would put that pipe on the, noticably louder than stock but not obnoxious, list.

I really like my Yoshimura carbon fiber can. It's a bit less loud than the Hindle with the DB reducion fitting in and probably about the same as the Hindle or maybe a bit louder with it out. I like the look of the Yosh better but that's a personal opinion.

I hear the HMF is a great option as well but I've not heard that setup.

The Spyder probably has more exhaust options than any other motorcycle out there. So good luck and enjoy!

Yazz
01-07-2010, 07:08 PM
welcome :congrats: on the new ryde.

I have Two Brothers dual exhaust. IMHO they have a great sound. They can get a bit loud if needs be... just depends on what you want.

hawkiii
01-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Got my Micron from Evan at ESI. I think they still have a few left. Give them a call, they are great folks. Their banner is on the Home page if I remember correctly. Love that Micron growl.

BajaRon
01-07-2010, 07:16 PM
welcome :congrats: on the new ryde.

I have Two Brothers dual exhaust. IMHO they have a great sound. They can get a bit loud if needs be... just depends on what you want.

They do sound good. But running a set across country...Man they are LOUD! I guess "Obnoxious" is in the ear of the beholder. But if the twin 2 Bros. does not constitute obnoxious then I'm not sure what would.

I loved my Micron but after awhile I just couldn't take the noise. Sounded great wicking the throttle in a parking lot. But long distance was way too much.

To each his (or of course, her) own. Ride what you like is always best.

SpyderSteve
01-07-2010, 07:54 PM
:agree: I HAVE THE MICRON IT IS LOUD, FRIENDS SAY THEY CAN HEAR ME COMING A COUPLE OF BLOCKS AWAY, THE HINDLE SOUNDS NICE, BUT I STILL LIKE MY MICRON!

brutus450
01-07-2010, 08:04 PM
i just got the 2 Bros single and all I have done is run it in the garage.

really nice sound and love it. I abvioulsy havent had it on the road yet but revving it in the garage , it certainly wasnt obnoxius in my opinion. We will see when I get to open her up on the road though!

Blackwidow74
01-07-2010, 08:21 PM
I would first check the maximum noise level for where you live. It's 90 here in California, so my Hindle is ok, and my friends say they can hear me coming. Two Brothers dual exhaust might get a ticket in some places here. A friend of mine bought a carbon fiber pipe and it cracked, I was told spyders have to much back pressure for carbon fiber. All after market pipes here in CA are illegal, but we can get away with it as long as we are under 90 dec. The best thing I like about the Hindle is it does say Can AM so it looks stock. Also be aware that any pipe you buy has to be repackaged after 15,000 miles, and manufactures do sell them.
Good Luck

Smylinacha
01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
I have the two bros single can - and yes it was loud so I put a powertip in it and it calmed it down a bit.

bone crusher
01-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Yeah, they are starting to institute noise ordinances all over the place...in MD, it's on its way. If you go too loud, you're gonna get a ticket sooner or later...not worth it..plus, you're gonna go deaf, literally...

I have a hindle...love it and wouldn't go any other way....looks stock...even has the Can-Am name on it...great sound...not so bad that my ears are ringing...I do wear earplugs with long trips...studies show that decibel levels can go up to 130 with a non full face shield and up to 110 with a full face shield...your exhaust only adds to this problem. The earplugs I wear drop the decibel level down by 30, reducing susceptibility to noise damage while I ride (I wear a full face shield). Consider this with any pipe as you likely want to keep your hearing...

adohring
01-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Dual Two Brothers exhaust with the power tips and had baffles put in by a chopper shop. Don't think it much louder than a hindle now but still sounds nice and gives the spyder the two can look.

boborgera
01-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Loud pipes don't make friends, just the opposite it makes enemies.
Why you would want to annnoy non bikers is beyond me.:dontknow:
When a bike with loud pipes drives bye most people look at the biker
and think what an A/hole. '' Loud pipes lose rights'' :lecturef_smilie:

txknight67
01-07-2010, 09:24 PM

Loud pipes is all in the ear of the beholder as is music.

To me, a loud exhaust going by is music to my ears (unless of course it is the little four cylinders with the "buuuundn - buuuudn" sound, but I digress), however loud thumping music pulsing from a car as it goes by annoys me.

To others it is the other way around. I have stood by people that comment "That sounds NICE!" when a loud "thumper" car drives by and then give the evil eye to a nice sounding muscle car or motorcycle driving by, complaining about how it needs a quieter exhaust. Same decibels, different likes and dislikes.:dontknow:

brutus450
01-07-2010, 09:24 PM

In my town with all the Harleys, even the two bros dual is mild!

BajaRon
01-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Now you need to ask what oil to use! :yikes: So we can continue :bdh: :roflblack:

bone crusher
01-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Now you need to ask what oil to use! :yikes: So we can continue :bdh: :roflblack:

Too funny...but true!!!!

GA-SPYDER
01-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Go Man! Beat that sucker!!!! :roflblack::roflblack:
(I still say it looks like a cow)

bone crusher
01-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Loud pipes is all in the ear of the beholder as is music.

To me, a loud exhaust going by is music to my ears (unless of course it is the little four cylinders with the "buuuundn - buuuudn" sound, but I digress), however loud thumping music pulsing from a car as it goes by annoys me.

To others it is the other way around. I have stood by people that comment "That sounds NICE!" when a loud "thumper" car drives by and then give the evil eye to a nice sounding muscle car or motorcycle driving by, complaining about how it needs a quieter exhaust. Same decibels, different likes and dislikes.:dontknow:

I hardly consider going deaf as 'music to my ears'. Then again, loud pipes are part of the mystique of having a bike...not for me though...I'll gladly stick with my hindle...good enough!

BajaRon
01-07-2010, 10:39 PM

A cow with a saddle??? :dontknow::hun:

But one thing is for sure, horse or cow, the animal doesn't care anymore. :ohyea:

pathfinderjoe
01-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Purchased a Venom exhaust kit off of E-Bay. Priced right - looks good - sounds great.:thumbup::thumbup:

brutus450
01-08-2010, 12:30 PM

ok..........I'll do it

what oil should I use if I run a 2 bros pipe as opposed to the stock pipe?

ohhh and I have no other perf mods:roflblack:

Dragonrider
01-08-2010, 01:40 PM
The other consideration is - no bags with the TBRs... The Hindle sounds good, meets the West's sound limits (OR is tougher than CA), looks stock (which generally keeps the sound meters in the car), and allows you to add GIVI bags.

Just my $0.02

NancysToy
01-08-2010, 01:41 PM
ok..........I'll do it

what oil should I use if I run a 2 bros pipe as opposed to the stock pipe?

ohhh and I have no other perf mods:roflblack:
93 octane. :joke:

Smylinacha
01-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Not necessarily. It's the way they ride. If they are womping on it just for sh*ts and giggles in a neighborhood with families and kids, then yeah, they are acting like A/holes. But it you're out in the middle of nowhere - I'd say WOMP away! Seriously though, loud pipes are good for deer, stupid drivers, and things that need to hear you coming before an accident could happen.

Sarge707
01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
:agree: Same thing with Loud jet skies, They always play in the same place near shore where some people are trying to have a quiet Picnic.

I don,t think people would punish their eyes the way they do their EARS BUT Sight and Hearing are 1 and 2 to most people!!

I,m sorry "What did you say?":hun: "I can,t hear you?" :hun:
"Could you say that again?" :hun: :shemademe_smilie:

SpyderSteve
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
is that why you're yelling?:D
PARDON ME :hun:

txknight67
01-08-2010, 07:31 PM
PARDON ME :hun:

I don't know if you know this, but on message boards and chat rooms, all caps is yelling.

SpyderSteve
01-08-2010, 08:05 PM
i do now thanks, i am fairly new to computers, and very new to message and chat boards. again thanks and sorry for yelling. :dontknow:

NEWARKSPYDER
01-08-2010, 08:22 PM
2 Bros Dual Can here and I love it! I need to get it repacked though! LOL:roflblack:

Smylinacha
01-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I don't know if you know this, but on message boards and chat rooms, all caps is yelling.

Yeah wish my mom would learn this. She YELLS at me all day when she emails me at work!

BajaRon
01-08-2010, 10:01 PM
93 octane. :joke:

Thanks Scotty! I think you've lobbed the final grenade!