PDA

View Full Version : RT-S Travel Cover

KNIGHTRIDER
01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
After watching a video on the use and care of the travel cover I decided to break out the one that came with my RT-S. It seemed kind of bulky and cumbersome compared to my Goldwing cover but I thought I had better try it anyway.
The cover they sent with the RT is very thick and hard to work with. I finally got it back into it's "bag" and the thing is so large it will just fit into a side cargo. The video shows it rolling into a ball smaller than a football (as did my GW cover). With their "travel cover" I will lose 1/4 of my cargo space. Not what I had in mind when packing for a trip.
I checked the packing and found that I had a "Outdoor Cover Kit" pn219400182. Checking the accessories page of the web site it indicates the "travel cover" is pn 219400199.
I brought this detail to the attention of my dealer and he called customer service at can-am. The short version of their response was if I didn't like it, I could always buy the other cover.
I will call customer service tomorrow and see what kind of response I get. More to follow, I'm sure.:gaah:

Ken5517 / Wish Again
01-06-2010, 11:33 PM
After watching a video on the use and care of the travel cover I decided to break out the one that came with my RT-S. It seemed kind of bulky and cumbersome compared to my Goldwing cover but I thought I had better try it anyway.
The cover they sent with the RT is very thick and hard to work with. I finally got it back into it's "bag" and the thing is so large it will just fit into a side cargo. The video shows it rolling into a ball smaller than a football (as did my GW cover). With their "travel cover" I will lose 1/4 of my cargo space. Not what I had in mind when packing for a trip.
I checked the packing and found that I had a "Outdoor Cover Kit" pn219400182. Checking the accessories page of the web site it indicates the "travel cover" is pn 219400199.
I brought this detail to the attention of my dealer and he called customer service at can-am. The short version of their response was if I didn't like it, I could always buy the other cover.
I will call customer service tomorrow and see what kind of response I get. More to follow, I'm sure.:gaah:

The Cover that you have sounds like a full body cover instead of the travel cover which is a 1/2 cover.

Here is the link for the travel cover that I tried and it was 2.5 min. on and 3 min off and bagged.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16219

NancysToy
01-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. I checked my cover, and it was the Outdoor Cover you described. It appears BRP has come up with a third RT-S cover. The large cover is the Custom Cover P/N 219400173, the Travel Cover is P/N 219400199. This intermediate cover is called the Outdoor Cover with P/N 219400182. I agree that it is too large for road use. We need the Travel Cover. That's what the specifications state. I hate it when they dream things up to change them without telling you. I was counting on not having to buy a separate cover this time. Wonder why they took a different approach without announcing it.

frank3
01-07-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm with Scotty on this one (as always, great source of information). I got the same cover and will be ordering the smaller one for travel. I should of expected the wrong cover anyway as my RT came without the owners manual (have downloaded off the web site) and there is a not plugged hole where the CB antena would go. My dealer has the manual and plug for the CB hole on order and I placed an order for the Service Manual as well as the travel cover. Not sure I'll ever use the large cover because I store mine in a heated garage and would be worried about scuffing the paint.

TicketBait
01-07-2010, 10:52 AM
please let us know, i haven't rec'd my RTS yet and was gonna order both covers from a different source that called
BRP yesterday for me. here are the replies I got;they put their answers to my questions in blue.

Also will you be carrying any covers for the 2010 Spyder RTs
they make two, one called the custom vehicle cover # 219400173 (estimated early February)

http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessories/Content/209/CanAmSpyder/neutral/images/catalogs/products/219400173_FT_TH.jpg

and one called the traavel cover
BRP part #'s 219400199 (available currently)

http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessories/Content/209/CanAmSpyder/neutral/images/catalogs/products/219400199_FT_TH.jpg

so if I understand this right we are to get one cover included?
but it might be the outdoor full cover :( this is california when am I gonna need that.

NancysToy
01-07-2010, 12:24 PM
[quote]
so if I understand this right we are to get one cover included?
but it might be the outdoor full cover :( this is california when am I gonna need that.
If you ordered the RT-S, you will receive a cover. Thestandard Rt and RT A&C do not have the cover. From what we have seen thus far, this will be an intermediate cover, larger than the travel cover, but smaller than the custom cover. They call it the outdoor cover. It seems to be nice, but will not cover as far as the full custom cover. It does have a windshield protector, unlike what was shown for the travel cover in the video which was posted. If you have the room for it, it seems like a nice cover.

KNIGHTRIDER
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Just talked to customer service rep Jonathan at Can-Am. He advised that all he could do was get the info and that someone would "investigate" and get back to me.

glynnk
01-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Just talked to customer service rep Jonathan at Can-Am. He advised that all he could do was get the info and that someone would "investigate" and get back to me.
Yeah, I've got the "Outdoor Cover" also. As already mentioned, it's too big to really carry on any long trip unless you've got the trailer. Since my RT is garage kept, I'd much prefer the travel cover. It'll be interesting to hear what BRP says.

Glynnk

ArmyJoe
01-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I'll be in Georgia from June through November for Army training. Rather than leaving the Spyder at home, I'm thinking of taking it with me, but I probably won't have garage storage.

The RT outdoor cover is the only thing I've seen that would fit my RS with CHAD windshield. Are there any other heavy-duty covers that might work?

Thanks,
Joe

NancysToy
01-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I'll be in Georgia from June through November for Army training. Rather than leaving the Spyder at home, I'm thinking of taking it with me, but I probably won't have garage storage.

The RT outdoor cover is the only thing I've seen that would fit my RS with CHAD windshield. Are there any other heavy-duty covers that might work?

Thanks,
Joe
The RS outdoor cover fits our RS with CHAD and BRP saddlebags. It does not fit quite as low, exposing a few inches of the nose spoiler and the bottom third of the front wheels, but it does as much as most motorcycle covers. The RT custom cover wouldn't be a vey good fit, but it would cover things more than adequately, possibly hanging on the ground, especially in the rear, where you have no topcase.

TicketBait
01-09-2010, 12:17 AM

Thanks,
Joe

The RS outdoor cover fits our RS with CHAD and BRP saddlebags. It does not fit quite as low, exposing a few inches of the nose spoiler and the bottom third of the front wheels, but it does as much as most motorcycle covers. The RT custom cover wouldn't be a vey good fit, but it would cover things more than adequately, possibly hanging on the ground, especially in the rear, where you have no topcase.

Scotty I think Joe is looking for an all weather cover. Isn't the custom vehicle cover for indoor use, and why isn't it a good custom fit?

NancysToy
01-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Scotty I think Joe is looking for an all weather cover. Isn't the custom vehicle cover for indoor use, and why isn't it a good custom fit?
The RT Custom Cover is a weather-proof cover. Here is BRP's description:

Description

Made of tough water repellant 300-denier polyester, that allows for breathability
This 2-tone cover provides maximum vehicle protection while trailering or outdoor storage
Includes integrated exhaust panel and protective flannel windshield liner
Easy attach system secures cover in all trailering conditions
GIJoe has an RS Spyder. He is thinking of fitting the RT cover. The RT cover is wider at the wheels and console, and it is taller at the rear, for the topcase on the RT. The mirrors are in a different place. It probably will fit, but will not hug the Spyder as designed...or like the RS Outdoor Cover. It will be large in places, which may allow it to pool water or hang on the ground. It may also be more difficult to secure tightly against the weather, as a result.

TicketBait
01-09-2010, 09:33 AM
The RT Custom Cover is a weather-proof cover. Here is BRP's description:

Description

Made of tough water repellant 300-denier polyester, that allows for breathability
This 2-tone cover provides maximum vehicle protection while trailering or outdoor storage
Includes integrated exhaust panel and protective flannel windshield liner
Easy attach system secures cover in all trailering conditions
GIJoe has an RS Spyder. He is thinking of fitting the RT cover. The RT cover is wider at the wheels and console, and it is taller at the rear, for the topcase on the RT. The mirrors are in a different place. It probably will fit, but will not hug the Spyder as designed...or like the RS Outdoor Cover. It will be large in places, which may allow it to pool water or hang on the ground. It may also be more difficult to secure tightly against the weather, as a result.
always a good answer. thank you!

wcc002
01-09-2010, 11:40 PM
If I get a travel cover in with my RT-S, I'll swap with one of you for the intermediate cover! We can work it out without complaining to BRP about giving us more than we thought we'd get.

glynnk
01-10-2010, 01:12 AM
If I get a travel cover in with my RT-S, I'll swap with one of you for the intermediate cover! We can work it out without complaining to BRP about giving us more than we thought we'd get.
I'd be interested in making a swap with you.

Glynnk

lawrenc454
01-10-2010, 11:28 PM
I have been buying lightweight half and full covers for use when traveling with my bikes and trailers for more many years,

E-Z touring makes several types and for they are light weight, pack small, and pricing is $125 for their full trike cover. They will make covers in a variety of colors and in combinations for extra charge. I will check if they do anything in a half cover for the Sypder RT

Check them out at http://eztouring.com/.

If we are getting the heavy cover I will look at theirs

Lonnie

MouthPiece
01-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Count me as being one who received the "outside" cover. I too was expecting the travel cover. I'm thinking about talking to my salesman tomorrow. Wish me luck.

KNIGHTRIDER
01-14-2010, 09:58 PM
I talked to Carlos at Can-Am yesterday. He suggested the dealer order a Travel Cover and then trade it to me for the Outdoor. He called my dealer and the dealer agreed to do that. I guess the dealer can buy the Travel for his cost and then return the Outdoor for more $$. My new cover should be here on Monday. That will solve my problem but don't know how many dealers are going to be willing to go that route. Good luck. Let us know what happens with your dealer.

glynnk
01-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Got the travel cover today from the dealer and turned in the outdoor cover. Fits nice. Got the 600 mile service done also....ouch....$313!

Glynnk