PDA

View Full Version : Drastic measures: Voluntary grounding?

DynamoBT
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Instead of waiting on BRP to announce a grounding of the "fleet". What would happen if individuals grounded their own individual Spyder? Maybe if one or two owners did this it wouldn't amount to much. But if a large number of owners did this, it sure would get BRP's attention.

I'm just about at this point. I can't in good conscience put hubby on the back and ryde off without a care. Not too sure I want to risk my life to a DPS caused accident either. So what's the alternative? Volunarily take my Spyder off the road for a year. If in that time BRP does not come up with a definitive diagnosis and fix for all the DPS failures, then I'll take my losses and get rid of my Spyder even if it's for scrap.

I don't have the choice of moving back to two wheels because off a nerve problem in my left leg. It's either the Spyder for me or nothing.

I am honestly to goodness fed up with this whole issue. I'll bet some of you are too. I got the Spyder because of its safety features. If the damned thing isn't safe, what's the point of having it?

spyryder
01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
NO WAY am I grounding my Spyder.:f_spider:

MarkLawson
01-06-2010, 01:10 PM
It would seem to me that those who are seriously concerned would certainly voluntarily park their Spyder now.

jgwoods
01-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Instead of waiting on BRP to announce a grounding of the "fleet". What would happen if individuals grounded their own individual Spyder? Maybe if one or two owners did this it wouldn't amount to much. But if a large number of owners did this, it sure would get BRP's attention.

I'm just about at this point. I can't in good conscience put hubby on the back and ryde off without a care. Not too sure I want to risk my life to a DPS caused accident either. So what's the alternative? Volunarily take my Spyder off the road for a year. If in that time BRP does not come up with a definitive diagnosis and fix for all the DPS failures, then I'll take my losses and get rid of my Spyder even if it's for scrap.

I don't have the choice of moving back to two wheels because off a nerve problem in my left leg. It's either the Spyder for me or nothing.

I am honestly to goodness fed up with this whole issue. I'll bet some of you are too. I got the Spyder because of its safety features. If the damned thing isn't safe, what's the point of having it?

Maybe you should remove "Happy Spyder owner" from the bottom of your posts.

DynamoBT
01-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Good idea. I have.

truck 85
01-06-2010, 02:14 PM
they still have your money and your warranty will run out who wins?

Way2Fast
01-06-2010, 02:30 PM
they still have your money and your warranty will run out who wins?

I have basically "grounded' my Spyder since having the steering take the vehicle control away from me. I have only used it for neighborhood jaunts, just to keep the fluids circulating. Even with both DPS fuses pulled., I just don't trust it because I think the problem goes beyond the power steering. BRP may have my money but at least I still have my life !! I have already discouraged others from purchasing a Spyder and will due my best to see that everyone I encounter "keeps there money" and doesn't purchase this POS !! If and when BRP finally fixes the issues, they will be repairing my Spyder for no cost, warranty or not even if it takes a lawsuit to force them to do so.

spyryder
01-06-2010, 02:37 PM
I have basically "grounded' my Spyder since having the steering take the vehicle control away from me. I have only used it for neighborhood jaunts, just to keep the fluids circulating. Even with both DPS fuses pulled., I just don't trust it because I think the problem goes beyond the power steering. BRP may have my money but at least I still have my life !! I have already discouraged others from purchasing a Spyder and will due my best to see that everyone I encounter "keeps there money" and doesn't purchase this POS !! If and when BRP finally fixes the issues, they will be repairing my Spyder for no cost, warranty or not even if it takes a lawsuit to force them to do so.
Just curious.....why did you buy a Spyder in the first place? Haven't you had issues with their other products?:dontknow:

DynamoBT
01-06-2010, 02:39 PM

Exactly. My life is worth more than the $15,000 I have wrapped up in the machine. If no fix is found, I'm prepared to take what I can get for it as scrap. But I'm also patient. I'm willing to wait this out to see where it goes.

Way2Fast
01-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Just curious.....why did you buy a Spyder in the first place? Haven't you had issues with their other products?:dontknow:

I have an older Sea-doo PWC, my wife has a newer GTX, both were relatively trouble free considering the problems many have had with the super charged Sea-doos. ( Based on my knowledge from owning a repair/performance shop devoted to PWC and a family member who was a BRP employee) The only close call we had with my wifes ski is when the fuel pump craped out during a high speed turn which caused the ski to loose steering and slide sidways into a marsh. Luckily there were no objects in the out of control skis path other than the mudbank it ended up on. I purchased the Spyder because I liked the principle behind it. If it performed as intended it would be a safer alternative to a 2 wheeled bike, especially for 2 up riding. Maybe the "IF" should be capitalized.

SpyderWolf
01-06-2010, 08:59 PM
I believe that anyone who does not feel safe on their Spyder should voluntarily park it, just like they would with any other vehicle. At the same time there are many of us who have not had any steering issues whatsoever and are not going to park ours for a just in case. I am aware that I could potentially have a problem, but I could also get run over by a bus tomorrow. That is my frame of mind, and not meant to belittle the seriousness of the problem you are having.

I don't think it will ever happen, but for the sake of argument let's say everyone did park their Spyders for a year. How would that have any negative impact on BRP, or get the problem fixed any faster?

I wish you the best in trying to figure out how you are going to handle this with BRP.

tatt2r
01-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Had my dps replaced works fine drive it 12
months out of year I will not stop riding till they rip my rotting dead hand from the grip ... Not riding it for a year .... A don't think so .... It's a motorcycle u could hit a deer a couple people have u gonna only ride in parking lots to avoid that then chance getting hit by a car dee almost got hit by a chockblock that bounced out of tow truck if she was on a regular bike she would not be here right now.... Stop riding for a year what do u really think brp would care if u did that . Keep an eye on it u feel a problem go to your dealer

Smylinacha
01-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Nah, I wouldn't stop riding my - I wouldn't ground it. Plain and simple. Come Spring I will ryde it. If it acts up again I will get rid of it. If it causes me any harm I have a very good lawyer.

tatt2r
01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Nah, I wouldn't stop riding my - I wouldn't ground it. Plain and simple. Come Spring I will ryde it. If it acts up again I will get rid of it. If it causes me any harm I have a very good lawyer.

I knew there was a reason besides your husband I liked you

Smylinacha
01-06-2010, 09:38 PM
:thumbup:

I knew there was a reason besides your husband I liked you

boborgera
01-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I believe that anyone who does not feel safe on their Spyder should voluntarily park it, just like they would with any other vehicle. At the same time there are many of us who have not had any steering issues whatsoever and are not going to park ours for a just in case. I am aware that I could potentially have a problem, but I could also get run over by a bus tomorrow. That is my frame of mind, and not meant to belittle the seriousness of the problem you are having.

I don't think it will ever happen, but for the sake of argument let's say everyone did park their Spyders for a year. How would that have any negative impact on BRP, or get the problem fixed any faster?

I wish you the best in trying to figure out how you are going to handle this with BRP.

I have steering issues, But i still ride every day i just stay aware, just like I'm aware of all hazards. When you're out on a bike you have to be ready for any thing and every thing. I've kissed pavement a few times. Bikes are dangerous. I'm sure you heard this from all your Friends and relatives. Especially from the ones that don't ride. But that's my thoughts only, every body has to do what they think is best for them self.
P/S getting back to the steering i still think it's electrical, wrong signal being sent though the wires.

bone crusher
01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Exactly. My life is worth more than the $15,000 I have wrapped up in the machine. If no fix is found, I'm prepared to take what I can get for it as scrap. But I'm also patient. I'm willing to wait this out to see where it goes.

Cut your losses and sell your bike now...if you are that concerned and don't trust the manufacturer, then get out before something can possibly go wrong.

I'm not one to bash BRP. I have been very happy with my Spyder and have not had any of the problems that some here have experienced. I am willing to bet that the vast majority of Spyder owners don't have any problems at all. The small sampling, here, on this forum does not translate to squat in regards to all the Spyders on the road...no assumptions can be made.

Find a good dealer and make sure they take care of your problem. If you cannot get a resolution that makes you content, then sell your bike and get something else. Live is too short to stress over a stinkin' motorcycle. It's a toy and if you feel as though it is unsafe, then get rid of it...there are many other options.

I think BRP has been doing a good job with being involved and getting issues resolved. There are always going to be problems, and with problems, complainers. Nothing is ever perfect and with a new class of vehicle, like the Spyder, there are gonna be problems. When I bought my Spyder, I knew that this might be a possibility, yet I still bought because this bike was the coolest on the road and I wanted one.

If you or anyone else is having regrets, cut your losses and get out now...no shame and you'll feel better...

For those telling everyone not to buy a Spyder, you are basing your bashing on YOUR experience only...not the 15,000 or so bikes that are ON THE ROAD!...pretty short-sighted, IMHO.

BillGargan
01-07-2010, 12:34 AM
So, cut off your nose to spite BRP!!!!!!

Seems a bit foolish.

Ride -- lots -- then write them a letter of concern when you are in a good mood.

boborgera
01-07-2010, 09:06 AM
So, cut off your nose to spite BRP!!!!!!

Seems a bit foolish.

Ride -- lots -- then write them a letter of concern when you are in a good mood.

:agree::agree:

Way2Fast
01-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Cut your losses and sell your bike now...if you are that concerned and don't trust the manufacturer, then get out before something can possibly go wrong.

I'm not one to bash BRP. I have been very happy with my Spyder and have not had any of the problems that some here have experienced. I am willing to bet that the vast majority of Spyder owners don't have any problems at all. The small sampling, here, on this forum does not translate to squat in regards to all the Spyders on the road...no assumptions can be made.

Find a good dealer and make sure they take care of your problem. If you cannot get a resolution that makes you content, then sell your bike and get something else. Live is too short to stress over a stinkin' motorcycle. It's a toy and if you feel as though it is unsafe, then get rid of it...there are many other options.

I think BRP has been doing a good job with being involved and getting issues resolved. There are always going to be problems, and with problems, complainers. Nothing is ever perfect and with a new class of vehicle, like the Spyder, there are gonna be problems. When I bought my Spyder, I knew that this might be a possibility, yet I still bought because this bike was the coolest on the road and I wanted one.

If you or anyone else is having regrets, cut your losses and get out now...no shame and you'll feel better...

For those telling everyone not to buy a Spyder, you are basing your bashing on YOUR experience only...not the 15,000 or so bikes that are ON THE ROAD!...pretty short-sighted, IMHO.

Sure...sell the POS Spyder to cut "your" losses and pass the buck onto some poor individual who probably knows nothing about it's dangerous steering problems. Is that is good advice ? :ohyea: What has happened to man's humanity to man and to the other creatures who inhabit this world? Has the quest for me...me...me along with the God Almighty Buck destroyed decency? People like you make me SICK !!!!

BajaRon
01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Ground my Spyder??? Well, sure! It's only been off the ground a few times anyway.

There is this drop-off hump in the road on a straightaway near my house. The speed limit is 45 but if you hit it at around 65 you can get some reasonable air....

So whether grounded or flying I'm having a GREAT TIME! :ohyea:

GaryTheBadger
01-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I did the coil wires update, does that mean my Spyder is grounded?

Seriously, rather than try to make a political statement by getting a bunch of Spyder owners to stop ryding (doen't seem favorable based on the replies), either relentlessly escalate your specific issues up the BRP chain of command, or sell it and move on.

SpydeeBite2
01-07-2010, 12:17 PM

I find it quite interesting that you are keeping your "POS" even though you believe it is unsafe and may do you harm yet you continue to ride it just on "neighbor jaunts" where I assume you believe you will not be involved in an accident or otherwise get hurt. Interesting.

Derwin
01-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Has the quest for me...me...me along with the God Almighty Buck destroyed decency? People like you make me SICK !!!!

Wow! Where did that come from? :dontknow:

The ONLY thing bonecrusher was trying to say was that he believes in the product and/or company, and that if a person no longer does, that they can go ahead and SELL their spyder. What's the big deal about that statement? rather innocent if you ask me.

I'm in the market for a Spyder, and these questions about the steering concern me. But, as many have said, it's only a small fraction of units that have been affected. Although I wouldn't want MY unit to malfunction while on the highway with it!

I agree with you, bonecrusher... If a person doesn't trust, or feel safe on, their vehicle, they should sell it. Nothing wrong with that. Heck, I'm doing the same thing with my MP3 500.

Derwin

Sarge707
01-07-2010, 12:42 PM
I,m grounded because of Cold and Snow and Salty roads. If I could afford the appropriate Cold Weather gear I,d be out riding this afternoon cause its about 35.
I am going to warm My Baby up and go around my street a couple times in 1st and 2nd gear!!:D

Yazz
01-07-2010, 12:54 PM

:agree:

Questions
01-07-2010, 01:20 PM
I read a lot of the posts on this forum about the steering issues with Spyders. I don't post too many replies bu I can't stand it anymore. Never have I been associated with a group containing so many chronic complainers! It's no secret that some Spyders have had steering issues. If you have had issues and continue to have concerns and a lack of confidence, quit riding and sell your Spyder. Please do not continue to try to destroy the Spyder product line with a group effort to park all Spyders. Park yours and don't worry about the rest of us. We will ride at our own risk.

Sometimes I wonder if the chronic complainers ever considered the inherent risks associated in riding a perfect Spyder that has no steering issues. These vehicles may offer a little more security than a motorcycle at walking speed and stopping at stop signs but lets face it, at above 10 mph there isn't much difference. I really wonder if the chronic complainers have ever thought about the other risks? Having 3 wheels instead of 2 certainly doesn't eliminate all the safety issues.

Chronic complainers, do us a favor, manage your risk the way you see fit and let the rest of us manage ours!

Smylinacha
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I am sure that the people who are "chronic complainers" (I am sure I fit in there somewhere) are NOT trying to destroy your precious Spyder product line. There is no Spyder conspiracy goin on!:lecturef_smilie:

Many people feel that they are not being heard by BRP or are totally stumped by their dealer and many of those people have had their precious Spyders sitting in a dealer's shop waiting for backordered parts for weeks - even months in some people's cases. And to top it off, they aren't even sure whatever fixes they are getting on their spyders are actual SOLUTIONS to get the Spyder back to ryding SAFELY. This doesn't just have to do with steering. It has to do with everything.

From what I see, people come on here because it is the # 1 FORUM for anything and everything about you guessed it: SPYDERS. Yellow ones, black ones, red ones, manual ones, semi auto ones, old ones, new ones, and now RTs, even ones with naked ladies painted on the front of the hood. Have you been to any of the other forums? Nobody posts on those - it could be days or weeks before you see a new post on any of the "other" places. And the layouts - makes me cross eyed. Not user friendly at all.

So people are gonna pitch a fit if they are upset and where are they gonna pitch it - well they will most likely pitch it here because others are going thru similar situations and we also hope that BRP and dealers are reading this board.

Maybe Carlo might not tell people that there could be dust in the DPS - probably not a good idea to tell a pretty p*ssed off customer who has the DPS light go on but dealer won't install a DPS probably cuz it's only dust that is "messing with it".

Or maybe BRP is up on this place and by hearing us, they really might wanna look into these parts before they ship them out to make sure they work the first time when installed.

Or maybe BRP might read this and say, Hmmmmm, we need to get more parts available to our customers so they don't have to wait weeks.

Or maybe a tech might fly or drive out to look at a machine to see why it is f'd up.

THAT IS WHY we need ALL opinions on this forum -the crummy and the not so crummy and of course, the good.

And there are PLENTY of good comments on here - I read them daily.

So instead of picking on one another, calling people spyderhaters, sick, whiners, chronic complainers, why don't we just all post and if you don't like the title of the thread then simply do not read it. How's that?

OK, I'm all done typing now - phew!

Questions
01-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Wow you type a lot.

I don't have that much time on my hands.

:clap:

Smylinacha
01-07-2010, 03:45 PM
I type about 120 words per minute. I don't even have to look at the keyboard. I was on the phone scheduling a meeting while typing it. Must have been the piano lessons I had as a kid :) Didn't even take me 3 minutes to type that.:2thumbs::ohyea:

Wow you type a lot.

I don't have that much time on my hands.

:clap:

Derwin
01-07-2010, 03:59 PM
So instead of picking on one another, calling people spyderhaters, sick, whiners, chronic complainers, why don't we just all post and if you don't like the title of the thread then simply do not read it. How's that?

Very Good! :thumbup:

I think there is room for ALL opinions and EVERYBODY'S personal experiences with the Spyder, Good and Bad. The thing that I don't like is when people get PERSONAL and start calling names. That's when it get's beyond simply giving opinions, and into personal attacks. And, after all, what's the point in doing that kind of stuff?

I think Lamont began this forum because he seen a vehicle that he thought was going to be a FUN ride. He had his doubts in the beginning, and has expressed them. But after all was said and done, Lamont really turned out LOVING the Spyder. Well, this place is called "SpyderLOVERS.com", right? Pointing out some shortcomings on the bike, and problems that you run across with it now and then is good and it is what a community like this is all about. People helping people, and fellowshipping around our common interest in this vehicle. But when it gets into post after post of bashing BRP and the Spyder, then I would agree with Lamont and tell the person to just move on.

One thing is for sure.... We are all GUESTS here courtesy of the Lamonster. And we should always remember that when we're posting.

Ahh... I probably shouldn't have said 60% of what I said, but I'll let it stand as is. If I offended anybody, I apologize. But I really feel for Lamont and what he has to go through in the operation of a place like this. It ain't easy, people! I operate my own forum, and it's a constant struggle to keep things running smoothly.

Derwin

DynamoBT
01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Boy, do I regret starting this thread.

bone crusher
01-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Wow! Where did that come from? :dontknow:

The ONLY thing bonecrusher was trying to say was that he believes in the product and/or company, and that if a person no longer does, that they can go ahead and SELL their spyder. What's the big deal about that statement? rather innocent if you ask me.

I'm in the market for a Spyder, and these questions about the steering concern me. But, as many have said, it's only a small fraction of units that have been affected. Although I wouldn't want MY unit to malfunction while on the highway with it!

I agree with you, bonecrusher... If a person doesn't trust, or feel safe on, their vehicle, they should sell it. Nothing wrong with that. Heck, I'm doing the same thing with my MP3 500.

Derwin

Derwin,

Thanks for the support. I'm surprised he acted that way. Writing our feelings about our bikes is one thing...personal attacks another...

As I've noted, I really enjoy my Spyder and can't wait for some good riding weather...it's been abnormally cold here in MD...I know others here ride in freezing temps (tat), but I'm a bit too chicken to do so!

If you're in the market, don't get dissuaded by the far and few who have had problems....and who want to bad-mouth BRP based on their sample segment of one bike! There are many here who have had great experiences and have made their bike (through mods) uniquely theirs. I never imagined there'd be so much to add/change on the bike and I blame Evan and others for my personal recession! hehe!

There are many here who are willing to help with issues, mod installs, etc... and I turn to them when I need help (which is often :gaah:)...a special shout-out to Lamont, Scotty, Evan, and Mark L. and others for your knowledge and wisdom! You make the Spyder experience even that much better!

Ride and have fun!

jwfranklin
01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Or maybe BRP might read this and say, Hmmmmm, we need to get more parts available to our customers so they don't have to wait weeks.

I have no facts to back this up, but I believe most of the Spyders are sold in the U.S. I can see it taking several weeks if the parts are going to Australia etc., going through customs whatever, But in the US it is hard to swallow. It seems most dealers don't stock a lot of parts, some don't even have the washers for a oil change. I know my Chevy dealer has almost any part you could need, or in a local warehouse. Including complete engines and transmissions. I believe BRP should put the parts were the units are, and open a least 1 parts warehouse in the US. I believe this would solve a lot of the problems. Any thing mechanical can break down. But when something could be fixed in a few days, and it takes a few weeks waiting on parts, that's hard to bear. On my personal Spyder, I had a problem, which I was told took less than a hour to fix, but took over 2 weeks waiting on parts. Being that this is BRP first on Road unit. I think they don't understand that many prople use their Spyder as daily transportion, and not just for recreation. Honda was this way in the late 60's and early 70's didn't matter what was wrong it usually sat there at least 2 weeks. As I used to tell them, what would you think if your local car dealer. said it would take 2-3 weeks for something minor, and you couldn't get to work. I know a few years ago, on the way back from Sturgis riding Harley's my friends 02 Harley RoadKing broke down in the afternoon. We got it to the Harley dealer in Cheyenne, WY. He had the older style fuel injection. and they needed a part for it. they didn't have it. but they had it there the next morning, and we were on the road a little after 10am couldn't have been much wrong the bill was less than $100.00. I could see us being on Spyders, and waiting weeks on parts.

3whlLefty
01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
If you can't get comfortable with the Spyder there are a ton of 3 wheel conversions you could switch to. I rode a Goldwing 1500 SE with a CSC conversion for 8 years and had a great time. You can get one from fully loaded down to bare bones. Check ebay and auto trader to see a lot.

I had fun on my GW and am having MORE fun on my SE5. Luckily no problems yet. I'm taking it to Arizona this week and plan to ride a lot. This snow and cold is killing me. Minus 8 this AM and they promise colder tomorrow. Yikes.

txknight67
01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I have no facts to back this up, but I believe most of the Spyders are sold in the U.S. I can see it taking several weeks if the parts are going to Australia etc., going through customs whatever, But in the US it is hard to swallow. It seems most dealers don't stock a lot of parts, some don't even have the washers for a oil change. I know my Chevy dealer has almost any part you could need, or in a local warehouse. Including complete engines and transmissions. I believe BRP should put the parts were the units are, and open a least 1 parts warehouse in the US. I believe this would solve a lot of the problems. Any thing mechanical can break down. But when something could be fixed in a few days, and it takes a few weeks waiting on parts, that's hard to bear. On my personal Spyder, I had a problem, which I was told took less than a hour to fix, but took over 2 weeks waiting on parts. Being that this is BRP first on Road unit. I think they don't understand that many prople use their Spyder as daily transportion, and not just for recreation. Honda was this way in the late 60's and early 70's didn't matter what was wrong it usually sat there at least 2 weeks. As I used to tell them, what would you think if your local car dealer. said it would take 2-3 weeks for something minor, and you couldn't get to work. I know a few years ago, on the way back from Sturgis riding Harley's my friends 02 Harley RoadKing broke down in the afternoon. We got it to the Harley dealer in Cheyenne, WY. He had the older style fuel injection. and they needed a part for it. they didn't have it. but they had it there the next morning, and we were on the road a little after 10am couldn't have been much wrong the bill was less than $100.00. I could see us being on Spyders, and waiting weeks on parts.

:agree: with the US parts warehouse, because even parts coming out of Canada have to go through customs. Had an aircraft main landing gear strut being shipped from a Canadian rebuild place stuck in customs for a week 6 or 7 years ago. Customer was not happy.

wyliec
01-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Smylinacha,

You pretty much said it all :thumbup:.

Rub
01-07-2010, 07:55 PM
I know my Chevy dealer has almost any part you could need, or in a local warehouse. Including complete engines and transmissions.

It's impossible to compare the automobile industry to the power sports industry. There are literally millions of GM vehicles on the road in the US that share more than a handful of the same parts. If the same were true for the Spyder, then I would agree, but as it is the Spyder is relatively new to the market, with only a few thousand world wide. Some parts are going to be hard to come by, particularly things that are not common 'wear' items such as electronic components. I've seen the same thing with newer model Kawasaki and Suzuki bikes as well as Vespa scooters and Arctic Cat snowmobiles.

Rub

bone crusher
01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
I was once told at my dealership that customs really holds things up for parts coming south. There are sometimes replacements that can be used stateside, and BRP will look for these, but if the parts have to come from Canada, there is many times a significant wait due to customs...

Derwin
01-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I was once told at my dealership that customs really holds things up for parts coming south. There are sometimes replacements that can be used stateside, and BRP will look for these, but if the parts have to come from Canada, there is many times a significant wait due to customs...

I'm sorry, but I know for a fact that this is simply not true in regards to customs. I have been involved in importing things all the way from China, and the LONGEST my stuff has been held up in customs has been a day or two.... and that was ONLY when customs decided to pull my freight aside for inspection! Otherwise customs doesn't really hold things up too much at all from my personal experience with importing.

I had a supplier in Canada for a little scooter I was selling, and he sent me parts all the time with no delay whatsoever. I received mirrors and other things directly from him in a matter of days.

So, like I said, customs shouldn't be an excuse for delaying parts delivery. No way on earth.

Derwin

NancysToy
01-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm sorry, but I know for a fact that this is simply not true in regards to customs. I have been involved in importing things all the way from China, and the LONGEST my stuff has been held up in customs has been a day or two.... and that was ONLY when customs decided to pull my freight aside for inspection! Otherwise customs doesn't really hold things up too much at all from my personal experience with importing.

I had a supplier in Canada for a little scooter I was selling, and he sent me parts all the time with no delay whatsoever. I received mirrors and other things directly from him in a matter of days.

So, like I said, customs shouldn't be an excuse for delaying parts delivery. No way on earth.

Derwin
Unfortunately, it seems to be a bit dependent on where the items cross the border. Crossings into the east side of Michigan are notorious for delays. Average time is a week to ten days to clear, but it can be considerably longer, and always surprises us if it is shorter. I can get parts faster from British Columbia than from Ontario or Quebec. I certainly agree that a US parts warehouse would help.

On the other hand, I understand the backorders for things like DPS units. If you have a major part that is not a wear part, and you anticipate something like a 0.05% failure rate, then you change the programming, exposing a defect, and realize an actual 2% failure rate, you are going to run out of parts. Depending on the supplier, the time for troubleshooting to make sure the whole batch isn't defective, and your willingness to rob the production line, you could get behind real fast. Not pleasing, but it is the real world of manufacturing these days. They don't even keep stock on the shelves for their own production with "Just-In-Time" supply methods.

BajaRon
01-07-2010, 09:53 PM

Derwin

Sorry, what you "Know for a fact" may be true in your universe of experience but you are more fortunate than you know.

Customs is a fickle beast. One package goes flying by unmolested. The next, identical package gets held up for who knows how long and you'll never get a straight answer. More often than not they'll tell you they never saw that package even if they are standing there with it in their hand.

So customs delays may not be a good excuse for extended delivery times. But it certainly can be a good reason for it.

To be honest, I would love to trade my "Know for a fact" for yours. It would be great to live in your import/export world. Sounds much better than the one I've been in for the last 12 years.

Rub
01-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Customs is a fickle beast. One package goes flying by unmolested. The next, identical package gets held up for who knows how long and you'll never get a straight answer.

I did cross border hauling a few years ago. Many times customs delays are caused by mixed shipments - your stuff being in the same container or on the same truck as Brand X. Brand X raises suspicion or has bad paperwork and the whole load is held up. It happens.

Rub

bone crusher
01-07-2010, 10:33 PM

Derwin

Derwin,

My dealership is quite honest. They have no reason to lie about their experiences. They openly complained to me about their frustration with getting parts that they needed from BRP. They told me that many times BRP will try to find U.S. vendors for similar parts that can be used instead of Canadian parts as apparently things do get hung up with customs issues.

I do not know the specifics of customs but I will say that there is definitely a parts issue with BRP, be it due to customs or simply not enough to go around right now...maybe a combination of both?

Derwin
01-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Sorry, what you "Know for a fact" may be true in your universe of experience but you are more fortunate than you know.

Not at all, my friend. I have been importing products from China for a decade now, and have never had things held up for extended periods of time. What HAS happened, though, is on occasion customs would "pick" the container that my products were in to INSPECT. As you may already know, customs does NOT inspect all containers, but only a very SMALL percentage of them. On the occasions where they pulled mine for inspection, I had to pay to have it delivered to their inspection site. This would put my products on hold for a few days, and no more. And this was ONLY when I've been unlucky enough to have a container pulled by them for inspection, which is not common at all, even in today's climate.

To be honest, I would love to trade my "Know for a fact" for yours. It would be great to live in your import/export world. Sounds much better than the one I've been in for the last 12 years.

I don't "live" in an export world. I have only IMPORTED products to the US, and never exported. I've imported from two countries only, though. Those being China and Canada. China has always been more paperwork than Canada. And I've NEVER had any delays from Canada.

Have I been "lucky" in regards to this? No. I can give you the names of several people near O'Hare airport that deal with importing products daily, and they'll tell you the same thing.

But this is about BRP getting products to the dealers, right? Well, I don't see why they would be having problems with this. I can have a product from ANYWHERE in the world on my desk within a few days, regardless of customs. That's been my experience.

I don't know, maybe I'm a special person, I don't know! :dontknow:

And, yes, what I "know as a fact" is in regards to MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE for the past decade of importing. I can only speak from personal experience, and nothing else. Maybe BRP has to deal with things that I never had to deal with simply because they are a huge corporation or something... I have no idea.

Derwin

Derwin
01-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I do not know the specifics of customs but I will say that there is definitely a parts issue with BRP, be it due to customs or simply not enough to go around right now...maybe a combination of both?

What are we talking about here? What kind of time are they saying customs is holding up product for? Is it a couple days? A week? A month? If just a couple days, then it's completely understandable. If a couple weeks to a month, then it's not customs that is the hold up.

Like you, I think it may be a few days hold up in customs for sure, but also a delay on their part in getting the products out to begin with..... A combination of both.

Well, I don't have to worry about any of this crap now, since I don't have my Spyder yet. But It's a darn good thing there's a forum where everybody can talk about it!

Hooorah for Lamont! :2thumbs:

Derwin

Neez
01-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Well, I live on the west coast of Canada and have been subjected to ridiculously long waits for parts, too. So it's not all the fault of US Customs.

spyryder
01-07-2010, 11:29 PM
BRP likely has it's own delivery system and waits for enough orders to fill a trailer before sending anything out.:dontknow:

NancysToy
01-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Well, I live on the west coast of Canada and have been subjected to ridiculously long waits for parts, too. So it's not all the fault of US Customs.
I'll bet you'd get them quicker if BC would consent to speak French. :roflblack:

txknight67
01-07-2010, 11:40 PM
I'll bet you'd get them quicker if BC would consent to speak French. :roflblack:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Derwin
01-07-2010, 11:46 PM
BRP likely has it's own delivery system and waits for enough orders to fill a trailer before sending anything out.:dontknow:

I didn't think of that, but this has happened to me several times. My small order wouldn't fill a container since it was a LTL order, and I would have to WAIT for other orders to fill the container before my products would be shipped. But this had nothing to do with customs.

You think that would be the case with BRP? I don't know, but it could be. Has anybody asked them about this? Heck, if I were waiting on a part, I would contact them directly and give them a FEDEX number for immediate shipment! What the heck. If they have the part, I'd be willing to pay for shipping myself to have it here in a couple days by international FedEx.

Scotty, maybe we ALL should speak French, and then things will start moving! :roflblack:

Derwin

spyryder
01-08-2010, 12:03 AM
I didn't think of that, but this has happened to me several times. My small order wouldn't fill a container since it was a LTL order, and I would have to WAIT for other orders to fill the container before my products would be shipped. But this had nothing to do with customs.

You think that would be the case with BRP? I don't know, but it could be. Has anybody asked them about this? Heck, if I were waiting on a part, I would contact them directly and give them a FEDEX number for immediate shipment! What the heck. If they have the part, I'd be willing to pay for shipping myself to have it here in a couple days by international FedEx.

Scotty, maybe we ALL should speak French, and then things will start moving! :roflblack:

Derwin
Maybe they have a contract with a trucking company to haul all of their freight for them. Sending individual parts via Fedex etc. would likely violate contract provisions. It may make things more complicated and confusing as well.:(

SpyderWolf
01-08-2010, 01:05 AM
It may not all be the fault of customs, but I am sure they play a role in some of it. When we ordered the graphics kit for my Spyder, the tracking status showed it sitting in customs for 1.5 weeks and it was basically a package of paper. :dontknow:

retread
01-08-2010, 07:20 AM
The BRP Shipping Team.........

http://sctv.org/characters/mckenzie/bobanddoug.jpg

:roflblack:
And they have cousins in Customs.:gaah:

john

Derwin
01-08-2010, 11:25 AM
It may not all be the fault of customs, but I am sure they play a role in some of it. When we ordered the graphics kit for my Spyder, the tracking status showed it sitting in customs for 1.5 weeks and it was basically a package of paper. :dontknow:

Holy Crap! That's insane! What? Did they think you had contraband graphics in the envelope! :D

NancysToy
01-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Holy Crap! That's insane! What? Did they think you had contraband graphics in the envelope! :D
Happens all the time. I have had the same thing several times...even with Spyder parts. Tracking always shows them stalled in customs.

Roaddog2
01-08-2010, 11:56 AM
And they have cousins in Customs.:gaah:

johnI thought they all worked at Seagram's Whisky at night :gaah:

SpyderWolf
01-08-2010, 05:04 PM
:roflblack: Take off to the great white north, eh. It's a beauty way to go.

DynamoBT
01-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Back to topic. . . I wrote BPR an e-mail expressing my concerns. I asked for a status on where they are with regards to the steering issues.

Carlos called me tonight. He assured me that engineers were working literally 24/7 behind the scenes on this issue. He felt there would be, at the very least, a statement in the not too distant future regarding what the investigation has discovered. There could be more. But at least BRP will make another public statement.

I want you all to understand that I am most definitely NOT anti-BRP or down on the Spyder. No one wants the Spyder to succeed more than I do. I want the engineers to discover the root of any problems to date. I don't want to see continued problems cropping up for people.

I may have jumped overboard in saying I would ground my Spyder come spring. I just want to trust my Spyder's reliability. I ryde a lot alone. I just want to know that I'm not going to be stranded out somewhere afraid to start my Spyder up and drive it home.

Anyway, I'll try not to get carried away on a wave of panic in the future. I want nothing more than to trust the working order of my Spyder come spring so my husband and I can enjoy rydes together.

SpyderWolf
01-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks for posting the update on what you found out from Carlos. I think that was a pretty good way to go about things. :thumbup:

wyliec
01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Back to topic. . . I wrote BPR an e-mail expressing my concerns. I asked for a status on where they are with regards to the steering issues.

Carlos called me tonight. He assured me that engineers were working literally 24/7 behind the scenes on this issue. He felt there would be, at the very least, a statement in the not too distant future regarding what the investigation has discovered. There could be more. But at least BRP will make another public statement.

I want you all to understand that I am most definitely NOT anti-BRP or down on the Spyder. No one wants the Spyder to succeed more than I do. I want the engineers to discover the root of any problems to date. I don't want to see continued problems cropping up for people.

I may have jumped overboard in saying I would ground my Spyder come spring. I just want to trust my Spyder's reliability. I ryde a lot alone. I just want to know that I'm not going to be stranded out somewhere afraid to start my Spyder up and drive it home.

Anyway, I'll try not to get carried away on a wave of panic in the future. I want nothing more than to trust the working order of my Spyder come spring so my husband and I can enjoy rydes together.

Thank you for the info.

Smylinacha
01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
DBT - don't feel bad about about your post - everyone has a right to say how they feel so long as it's not putting anyone in jeopardy. I hope you are right and a BRP is all over this. I am one where I will believe it when I see it and hopefully we will all see an answer at some point before ryding season begins again. If not and if I have any more problems with my Spyder after ryding it (especially steering) , I will be looking for a legal way to get rid of it. No way would I sell something f'd up to someone either.

bjt
01-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks for posting the update on what you found out from Carlos. I think that was a pretty good way to go about things. :thumbup:

+1

jsmiley
01-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Some people here have been horrified and plagued by relentless issues and near death experiences. I had my share, but seems I am better now and I do feel for those of you out there still.

However there are others that seem to truelly enjoy antagonizing the HELL out of those poor folks having issues. Then try to play innocent about it. :sour:

Just to clear it up for the developmentally challenged, being insensitive to someone's plight is as bad or worse than a personal attack. The damage is done and you are now pouring salt in their wounds. Hope you feel good about yourself!

bone crusher
01-10-2010, 01:46 AM

Very reasonable comments...now get a cuter dog! :D:D

bone crusher
01-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Some people here have been horrified and plagued by relentless issues and near death experiences. I had my share, but seems I am better now and I do feel for those of you out there still.

However there are others that seem to truelly enjoy antagonizing the HELL out of those poor folks having issues. Then try to play innocent about it. :sour:

Just to clear it up for the developmentally challenged, being insensitive to someone's plight is as bad or worse than a personal attack. The damage is done and you are now pouring salt in their wounds. Hope you feel good about yourself!

:hun:

Smylinacha
01-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Very reasonable comments...now get a cuter dog! :D:D

I like her dog! Looks like Petey from the little rascals w/out the black eye. If I had a dog like that, I'd take a sharpie and put a nice shiner on it so it would look like Petey!

jsmiley
01-10-2010, 09:01 AM
:hun:

Prime example of playing innocent! R u kidding me?

You called a guy who had the unfortunate luck of buying a $15k POS death machine a complainer and then told him his bashing of the evil corporation that is actively giving him the shaft was short sighted.

These people bash BRP, cause they are getting screwed. That is a normal common human reaction.

Why are you bashing them? Entertainment maybe?

NancysToy
01-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Let's keep it civil, fellas.

groundeffect
01-10-2010, 09:10 AM

It is very good for Carlo to get in touch with you regarding steering, as soooo many of us are waiting for actual progress on these issues. Since you have been told an announcement will be made…. the only question now is when, and what, they find, and of course.... a fix.

I am most definitely NOT anti-BRP or down on the Spyder. No one wants the Spyder to succeed more than I do. I want the engineers to discover the root of any problems to date. I don't want to see continued problems cropping up for people.

:agree:

Thank you for your update.
Cheers.

jsmiley
01-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Let's keep it civil, fellas.

I'm with you on that. There is an unfortunate trend here to beat up on the guys that have issues and voice it and there is always a follow on discussion about how this is a place for all to talk about these things. Yet, the cycle still repeats.

This behaviour needs to be called out and I will keep doing it, as i am tired of it. I come here for information and to talk to issues and follow the problem threads for education. I have yet to see a problem thread where it does not turn into some sort of attack (direct or indirect) on the person having issues.

Show some compassion, provide some constructive advice, and maybe, if you can, give them some hope.

Don't pour salt in thier wounds, is all I am saying here.

bone crusher
01-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Prime example of playing innocent! R u kidding me?

You called a guy who had the unfortunate luck of buying a $15k POS death machine a complainer and then told him his bashing of the evil corporation that is actively giving him the shaft was short sighted.

These people bash BRP, cause they are getting screwed. That is a normal common human reaction.

Why are you bashing them? Entertainment maybe?

What planet are you on? I'm not bashing anyone! I've been here far longer than you and I've seen the same rhetoric going around for some time. People are unhappy and they vent...okay, great...better to contact the dealer and BRP and get their problems resolved. Each bike is a 'survey study' of one...you or someone else might not like your bike right now as it isn't working, but coming out and talking about telling everyone that the bike s*cks...eh, uh, that's bashing...getting ideas from others with the same issue(s) in regards to how to proceed would make more sense, right?

I have total confidence in my dealership and BRP...I haven't been led wrong and I don't ever see that happening...my dealership sends me letters and calls me from time to time to see how all is. Whenever I have a question, they get an answer...if something doesn't work, I know they'll take care of it.

Now, after hearing so many nasty rips on BRP, I simply say enough...get it taken care of or file a complaint somewhere...

You call it an 'evil corporation'...you're off-track here buddy...BRP=evil...prove it!

NancysToy
01-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Hey guys, if you want to continue this argument, how about doing it by PM. It is not necessary to squabble in public.

bone crusher
01-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Hey guys, if you want to continue this argument, how about doing it by PM. It is not necessary to squabble in public.

Scotty,

I'm not trying to eat up Lamont's storage here, I'm just responding to someone who either doesn't get what I am trying to say, or is just trying to create a problem.

I'll defend my position as I feel it is correct. Out of respect for you (not HDX, :D:D), I'll let it go and just put this guy on 'ignore'...this will best prevent any further bantering back and forth...

Enjoy!