PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks DPS warranty should be extended.

Magic Man
01-05-2010, 08:06 AM
With so many of the early PE Spyders falling out of the 2 year warranty window, and so many of these units now only after almost 2 years starting to develop DPS issues. How many of you would like to see BRP step up and provide a real stated extended warranty coverage period for the DPS units.

I think it is now fair to say after so many of you having problems that there is ether some design problem or a defect in material or manufacturing that is causing these problems to happen. That it is no longer just "luck of the draw" in getting a one in a million bad unit.

I also don't think it is fair to ask people people to have to spend a fairly large sum of money buying extended warranties to cover something that now has shown itself to be an obvious factory issue ether.

I am not talking about some "don't worry we'll take care of you" backdoor "hidden warranty" type of thing here. But with them coming right out and providing a straight up extended coverage period for 08 and 09s that have DPS problems.

I think this would help give people much more piece of mind than the "don't worry we'll help you out" kind of thing it is now.

I know from the past that these kind of "hidden warranties" can be both illegal to do, and can also not be evenly distributed basied on the level of participation from local dealers wanting to go to bat for units over 2 years old.

Although I have not spoken out on this topic for awhile, I can't help but read everyday how more and more people with units that were fine for the longest time are continuing to just now develop DPS problems. Unfortunatly many of these units are almost 2 years old or older.

I think an officaL extended coverage program for the DPS would really help let all of us know were not left out here in limbo until a real final solution to the DPS problem is found. :thumbup:

MM

BLACK WIDOW
01-05-2010, 08:12 AM
With so many of the early PE Spyders falling out of the 2 year warranty window, and so many of these units now only after almost 2 years starting to develop DPS issues. How many of you would like to see BRP step up and provide a real stated extended warranty coverage period for the DPS units.

I think it is now fair to say after so many of you having problems that there is ether some design problem or a defect in material or manufacturing that is causing these problems to happen. That it is no longer just "luck of the draw" in getting a one in a million bad unit.

I also don't think it is fair to ask people people to have to spend a fairly large sum of money buying extended warranties to cover something that now has shown itself to be an obvious factory issue ether.

I am not talking about some "don't worry we'll take care of you" backdoor "hidden warranty" type of thing here. But with them coming right out and providing a straight up extended coverage period for 08 and 09s that have DPS problems.

I think this would help give people much more piece of mind than the "don't worry we'll help you out" kind of thing it is now.

I know from the past that these kind of "hidden warranties" can be both illegal to do, and can also not be evenly distributed basied on the level of participation from local dealers wanting to go to bat for units over 2 years old.

Although I have not spoken out on this topic for awhile, I can't help but read everyday how more and more people with units that were fine for the longest time are continuing to just now develop DPS problems. Unfortunatly many of these units are almost 2 years old or older.

I think an officaL extended coverage program for the DPS would really help let all of us know were not left out here in limbo until a real final solution to the DPS problem is found. :thumbup:

MM

I think that would be the least they could do!!!

Michael:doorag:

groundeffect
01-05-2010, 08:14 AM
and so many of these units now only after almost 2 years starting to develop DPS issues.

I've heard of new Spyders with less then 500miles, not 2 years old, having DPS issues. I do not think reoccurring steering issues are limited to 2 year old systems.

How many of you would like to see BRP step up and provide a real stated extended warranty coverage period for the DPS units.

Personally I'd much rather a permanent FIX to the problem rather then a warranty the continues to replace a faulty device (or number of devices - as there is evidence that suggests it could be the DPS AND/OR mechanical failures).

I will agree with you in that current customers need piece of mind, along with further customers.

I think an officaL extended coverage program for the DPS would really help let all of us know were not left out here in limbo until a real final solution to the DPS problem is found.

That is a good idea. BRP needs to do something here, imho

Cheers and safe ride to all.

rnet
01-05-2010, 08:16 AM
It's the right thing to do. This would show everyone that they really do stand behind there products and I feel it would even help there bottom line, but if they are anything like the experience I had with Polaris, it ain't happening.

LDFIREWORKS
01-05-2010, 08:37 AM
:agree: :agree: :agree: :2thumbs:

dave01
01-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Awesome post and idea. Its the least BRP can do until they find the cause and cure for the ailing DPS units. I'm off to the shop to see mine and call brp at 930 when they open up.

DynamoBT
01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I'll go one step further. When Spyders with DPS problems sometimes need two or three "new" DPS units to solve the problems, it's time that BRP designed a new DPS with higher quality parts and very narrow tolerance for error. Then went about replacing the DPS of every Spyder out there with one of the new units.

The original DPS units are obviously seriously flawed. No one is saying how they are flawed. BRP is only replacing faulty units with more of the same. This isn't right. RRP needs to diagnose the specifics of each unit failure. Then design new components with less error tolerance. They need to admit that every original and even the replaced DPS units are at risk of failing at any time. Then do something across the board to fix this problem. The idea that we should wait until someone is actually killed because their Spyder won't steer at a critical time. . .and have a few of these "accidents" so that the NHTSA gets invovled is outrageous.

WackyDan
01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Bingo.

My Spyder turns one year old at end of April. I'm already budgeting for the BEST warranty upgrade because I'm not going to take the risk of something expensive failing - more than once.

Knock on the tupperware, my Spyder has been relatively problem free.

Magic Man
01-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Bingo.

My Spyder turns one year old at end of April. I'm already budgeting for the BEST warranty upgrade because I'm not going to take the risk of something expensive failing - more than once.

Knock on the tupperware, my Spyder has been relatively problem free.

You are a smart man in doing this Dan! :agree:

But do you ,think it's right to have to spend that kind of money just to have the piece of mind that you should already have? At least about DPS failures.

Not saying it's not a good purchase to cover the engine, trans, or other systems for sure. :clap:

But having to buy one because your DPS could go out anytime outside of the 2 years, due to what is now appearing to be a factory problem is just not right. :gaah:

It also is not within everybody's budget in these tough enonomic times.

I hope your Spyder stays problem free and you ride many safe and trouble free miles. :thumbup:

MM

stgilmer
01-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I've heard of new Spyders with less then 500miles, not 2 years old, having DPS issues. I do not think reoccurring steering issues are limited to 2 year old systems.

:agree::agree:My 08 had only 283 miles on it when dropped off at dealer for steering lock up. Been there so far 8 weeks. So yes I do think an extend would be a proper move on their part.

Spyderjuice
01-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I agree with all the comments. I hope BRP will get on top of this issue.

Juice

groundeffect
01-05-2010, 10:49 AM

Juice

Me too.

larryd
01-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I am also VERY worried about DPS problems with my SM5 running out of warranty in May 10...I haven't had any problems with the dps yet and I've had all the updates..but living in central PA we only have about a 5 month riding season and I'll do very little riding till May 10 (if any)

I would like to see some type of warranty extension on the DPS..

Or maybe, BRP could roll back the BEST warranty price to what they offered it for at the time of the Spyder purchase..

Either way, BRP needs to STEP UP and do sometimg to regain customer confidence..:dontknow:

Big Arm
01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks Magic Man for starting this thread. It's really a shame that BRP didn't come up with this on their own, rather than a customer posting the suggestion.
My PE spyder warranty will run out in April. Until that time, I cannot ride it because it's been stored for the winter, like so many others. It will probably be April before I'll be able to get it out, because of all the snow here. Last yr it was also stored for at least four and a half months. (Eating up warranty time)
The single most thing that really bothers me the most about the Spyder, is this DPS problem, that others are having. I, so far, have not had this happen.....yet.
These DPS problems have been well documented here and other sites, and waranty or not, any good lawyer would have a field day with this in court.

IMHO BRP should just recall all Spyders, and replace all DPS units, after they have pin-pointed the problem, that is causing these units to act the way they do.

WackyDan
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM
But do you ,think it's right to have to spend that kind of money just to have the piece of mind that you should already have? At least about DPS failures.

Well, I'd prefer not to based on some members who had issues with BEST and towing, etc... I see it as something I need to do for peace of mind over the long term. Note that I do not buy extended warranties on my other vehicles.

My decision to buy BEST is based on EVERYTHING I've seen here and there about Spyder issues, not just the DPS.

BRP does seem a bit slow in addressing some issues at times though I think they have handled the DPS issue a bit better than expected. I'm always reminded of the movie "Fight Club"...

Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one. Business woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents? Narrator: You wouldn't believe. Business woman on plane: Which car company do you work for? Narrator: A major one.

groundeffect
01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
IMHO BRP should just recall all Spyders, and replace all DPS units, after they have pin-pointed the problem, that is causing these units to act the way they do.

Unfortunately, but the look of things, it looks as though BRP has NOT found a fix to the steering problems, even after the months and months (years?) it has been seen on customer machines all over North America (at least).

Roaddog2
01-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks Magic Man for starting this thread. It's really a shame that BRP didn't come up with this on their own, rather than a customer posting the suggestion.
My PE spyder warranty will run out in April. Until that time, I cannot ride it because it's been stored for the winter, like so many others. It will probably be April before I'll be able to get it out, because of all the snow here. Last yr it was also stored for at least four and a half months. (Eating up warranty time)
The single most thing that really bothers me the most about the Spyder, is this DPS problem, that others are having. I, so far, have not had this happen.....yet.
These DPS problems have been well documented here and other sites, and waranty or not, any good lawyer would have a field day with this in court.

IMHO BRP should just recall all Spyders, and replace all DPS units, after they have pin-pointed the problem, that is causing these units to act the way they do. :agree:and the field day is just around the pike :gaah:mine has been frozen in also eating up warranty time :ani29:Lately when I been riding it I feel like I ride it just to get it into the next issue so that it could be dealt with:ani29::wrong:

truck 85
01-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I want to know why i took mine in for a steering issue and it took 2 weeks to get the parts (i rode while waiting for parts). but why are some people having to wait 8 to 10 weeks it makes no sence to me.:dontknow:

groundeffect
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
but why are some people having to wait 8 to 10 weeks it makes no sence to me

I've been wondering the SAME thing.

WHY does it take this long to 'fix' the issue?

Is the time spend waiting for parts or waiting for the dealer(s) to look at the Spyder???

retread
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
With all the software and other inputs going to the ECU, a "catch" program to record info when something happens should be a possibility. Then they could read what caused the problem. Either that or drop the DPS to where it only works below 5 mph.
My Spyder will be 2 years old in April, doesn't have the recall done yet, not sure I want it.

john

SpyderGirl
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Shouldn't the DPS issue just fall under a general recall and be covered regardless of warranty status? Mine is about to expire at the beginning of February... I basically have one month to go.

I am running on the the original unit in my PE Spyder with no issues or updates... but knowing my luck this will happen a week after my warranty ends. I don't have $1100 to extend my warranty. nojoke

Way2Fast
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Sadly, BRP has been shown to be "anti consumer" with many of their other products in the past and it appears that the Spyder will follow suit. My Spyder is now out of warranty and when and if and when a solid solution to the steering issues that plague it is found....BRP IS GOING TO REPAIR IT FREE OF CHARGE even if it takes a lawsuit to make it happen !!!

SpyderGirl
01-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Sadly, BRP has been shown to be "anti consumer" with many of their other products in the past and it appears that the Spyder will follow suit. My Spyder is now out of warranty and when and if and when a solid solution to the steering issues that plague it is found....BRP IS GOING TO REPAIR IT FREE OF CHARGE even if it takes a lawsuit to make it happen !!!

Hopefully it won't come to that.

Sarge707
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
I called the BRP # Yesterday to voice the continuing concerns I read about here Daily and got NO real positive responce!!:helpsmilie:

BRP needs to cover the Affected System for the life of this vehicle or until a Definite fix is made!!:lecturef_smilie:

Those of us who have NO problem (Like Me) BUT know about the possibility and are mentally prepared are the Lucky ones!! Those that don,t monitor this group may possibly have NO Idea of what could happen to them? :shocked: (I learned about it here!!!)

I want to feel CONFIDENT I,m not going to Marry a Tree zipping down some narrow back road in the middle of Nowhere!!nojoke

SpyderGirl
01-05-2010, 02:08 PM
I called the BRP # Yesterday to voice the continuing concerns I read about here Daily and got NO real positive responce!!:helpsmilie:

BRP needs to cover the Affected System for the life of this vehicle or until a Definite fix is made!!:lecturef_smilie:

Those of us who have NO problem (Like Me) BUT know about the possibility and are mentally prepared are the Lucky ones!! Those that don,t monitor this group may possibly have NO Idea of what could happen to them? :shocked: (I learned about it here!!!)

I want to feel CONFIDENT I,m not going to Marry a Tree zipping down some narrow back road in the middle of Nowhere!!nojoke

:agree: Because I haven't had any problems in over 22K miles doesn't mean that they can't develop the next time I'm negotiating a turn through the tunnel on my way to work. nojoke

BLACK WIDOW
01-05-2010, 02:33 PM

As I have previously stated, an extended warranty would be going in the right direction but I would just like to hear some official recognition of the problem and know that they are aware and actively looking for a cause and fix. As far as I know it's simply business as usual at BRP. We can all picture in our minds that their engineers are scrambling to find a cause/fix but how would we know? Their silence sends a very loud message.

groundeffect
01-05-2010, 02:39 PM
I have heard that BRP may read this forum ever so often. However, is there anyone here that takes issues such as this concern ( extended warrant ) to BRP themselves?

If there is an official process to bring things to BRP's attention, perhaps Spyder owners (I'm currently not a Spyder owner, but hope to be in the future) could follow the process and request something like this???

Hope that helps.
Cheers, everyone.

BLACK WIDOW
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
:agree: Because I haven't had any problems in over 22K miles doesn't mean that they can't develop the next time I'm negotiating a turn through the tunnel on my way to work. nojoke

Kinda Scarry isn't it.:yikes:

jwfranklin
01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I have had some problems with my Spyder, but not with the DPS, but could be any time. When they announced the RT, I wondered why are they releasing another model when they haven't got the bugs out of the orginal. Anything mechanical can tear up, But the DPS seems to be more of a inherant problem than something that randomly goes bad. I still have a little over 9 mo warranty left, and before that time I will either get rid of it, or buy the BEST warranty. I'm considering an RT, having a PE means nothing to me, I will not have a Black one. Maybe a Blue one, want to wait to see one. But also want to wait to see if they have any problems.
I'm assuming they use the same DPS. does anyone know?

docdoru
01-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Yes. :shocked:

Roaddog2
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Sadly, BRP has been shown to be "anti consumer" with many of their other products in the past and it appears that the Spyder will follow suit. My Spyder is now out of warranty and when and if and when a solid solution to the steering issues that plague it is found....BRP IS GOING TO REPAIR IT FREE OF CHARGE even if it takes a lawsuit to make it happen !!!:agree:

Lamonster
01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
The DPS on the RT is not the same, different geometry all together from what I'm told. Not saying it's any better or any worst but it is not the same unit.

NancysToy
01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
They do not use the same unit, at least not the same part number. 709400770 for the RT and 709400544 for the GS/RS. Don't know if there are actual differences,and if so whether they are internal or external. Could even be a different supplier. As Lamont said, the two Spyders have vastly different steering system geometry, but that may not affect the actual DPS units themselves, except for mounting provisions and such. On the other hand they could be beefier to handle the extra weight, or have a different assist ratio due to the differences in the machines. All we can really say for certain is that they are different, but not how.

NancysToy
01-05-2010, 05:42 PM
I ws told today they were different units, based on the same technology...aka...same sh**t in a different box.
The DPS unit in my wife's HHR is based on the same technology. Don't be so quick to condemn it until you know more details. They could be vastly different...or frighteningly similar.

hondaman
01-05-2010, 06:03 PM
for the 15k+ we all spent they could give us all a 2 or 3 year warranty for free or something cheap 100 bucks.
My 3 year free warr. is the reason I bought my brp atv and is the reason im gona buy a new one this year.,,,,,,,,,,,BRP DO YOU HEAR US......

caser
01-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Why stop with the DPS. During the two plus yrs. of ownership my bike was in the shop for one reason or another for over 3 mos. due to parts unavailabity or service dept. incompotence. That time I could'nt ride and I ride often. As long as we're dreaming extend the warranty for everything. Sorry, I don't do drugs but sometime my mind just gets these crazy ideas.:yikes:

dave01
01-05-2010, 06:15 PM
The DPS unit in my wife's HHR is based on the same technology. Don't be so quick to condemn it until you know more details. They could be vastly different...or frighteningly similar.

You're right. I'm just a little gun-shy with the technology right now.

johnandginger
01-05-2010, 07:03 PM

Juice I am in total agreement with you. ps-my dealer wants $2100 to extend my warranty 3 more years,brp needs to check out dealers who are trying to rip customers off by padding their pockets to the extreme.
:helpsmilie::gaah:

BajaRon
01-05-2010, 07:14 PM
A very sticky issue. All any of us want is a reasonably reliable/safe vehicle. Some expect perfection and they will always be dissappointed. But that isn't what is being discussed here.

I had a dead DPS right out of the crate on my PE SM5. It got replaced and I've had zero problems.

Seems like BRP has put a ton of effort into this issue with no definintive "One size fits all" solution. It must be a variety of possible causes differing on a case-by-case basis making a final solution more difficult to get to.

An extended warranty would be fine but I'm not optomistic. A final fix would be the best. I'm not sure that will happen either.

My warranty is up at the end of this month. I'm considering buying an extension. On the other hand, I've been problem free other than the 1 DPS replacement.

chascarpenter1
01-05-2010, 07:22 PM
absolutely

NancysToy
01-05-2010, 07:25 PM
You're right. I'm just a little gun-shy with the technology right now.
Understandable, given the lack of definitive answers and the suddeness of the onset of such problems...after the recall update was completed.

Studybaker Bob
01-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Don't expect BRP to step up to the plate & do what's right, it does not seem that they are an honorable company. Thank God we paid the extra $1000 for the extended warranty at the time of purchase. Our spyder has so many mechanical & electrical problems we are beginning to wonder if they will ever figure it out. Good luck all.

pitmon
01-05-2010, 08:29 PM
:agree:

My original warranty expires in February. I have had my spyder for 2 years. I did purchase the BEST warranty when I bought the spyder simply because I knew it was new and unproven and I was scared not to. Thank goodness I did. However I feel that BRP should warranty the steering issue since it is and has been an ongoing problem that apparently has not be truly fixed. Mine seems to be ok for now but I will be keeping an eye on it.

Magic Man
01-06-2010, 08:26 AM
[QUOTE=pitmon;169909]:agree:

I did purchase the BEST warranty when I bought the spyder simply because I knew it was new and unproven and I was scared not to. /QUOTE]

How smart you were to have done so! :2thumbs: :clap:

But.....

How sad it is anyone needs to be "scared" about buying a product because it was as you say "new and unproven" and there is no confidance that the company will stand behind any real manufacturing short comings that will show up as time goes on. That is now what these DPS failures are showing themselves to be.

If everytime there was a new product made you as the consumer needed to buy an extended warranty on it because it could have manufacturing shortcomings that would leave you on your own, how much would that stink!

As the Spyder was brand new to the world, all of the products my company made for the Spyder were "new and unproven items" too. But we would never ask the end user to hold the bag if something we manufactured had an obvious design or manufacturing defect. It's just not`good business to do so. Not to mention, just not right ether.

...and that's on $100 parts, not $17,000 machines ether.

I agree 100% that anything mechanical can break at anytime. :agree:

However, these DPS problems are not in that category in any way, shape or form.

The way it is now the just telling everybody "the let them eat cake mentality" of just spend $1000 on and extended warranty to cover this is not a real, nor fair solution, or even an option for many people.

Let's not confuse this post about general long term breakdown coverage for the random failure, and specific DPS failures.

I was asking about coverage for what is now appearing to be a shortcoming in the design or manufature of a major safety system of the Spyder.

To all of you that ether bought an extended warranty or can still afford one now, hats off. :clap:

But IMHO, truth is you should not have had to do so to get piece of mind regarding future DPS failures.

Engines, trans or other random faliures maybe, but not for DPS problems.

MM

Lamonster
01-06-2010, 08:36 AM
But IMHO, truth is you should not have had to do so to get piece of mind regarding future DPS failures.

Engines, trans or other random faliures maybe, but not for DPS problems.

MM
This should be covered for the life of the Spyder and if they get it fixed right it won't cost them a dime.

Recluze
01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
I have the BEST warranty and my experience with BRP products is that this is not an option, but a necessity. When it expires I figure the bike will too.

On the other hand, I have had so much warranty work done to my bike I cannot see how BRP can continue this way. They have chewed through the profit margin with repairs they have done to my bike. I believe a miscalculation on this machine was that they thought riders would average about 3000 miles per year. That is about a week's worth for some of the guys on this site.

The steering thing is a serious problem and could very well spell the end of this machine, which would be a real shame. In the meantime I ride mine and enjoy every minute of it. The next power steering problem I have will be the last-one way or the other.

dave01
01-06-2010, 10:23 AM
This should be covered for the life of the Spyder and if they get it fixed right it won't cost them a dime.

+1...I completly agree, at least for the DPS issues or any other recall problems that arise