PDA

View Full Version : Visor fog

Dochands
01-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Tried to go riding this evening. 28 degrees. Perfectly comfortable with my current gear but...

my glasses. my visor. Completely fogged up.

So I came home.

Now I know I should not have left the helmet in the garage. First mistake. But I need any suggestions for products or techniques.

Is there some great antifog stuff I should get? Also the Garmin was useless. Completely white from the cold. Should that be kept in the house too until I go riding and will it continue to stay visible as I ride for awhile?

Thanks.

PS - Can you tell most of my riding years were spent in California and Hawaii? lol

spyryder
01-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Try Googling heated visors. They're quite popular in the snowmobiling community. You may even find one that fits your motorcycle helmet.:f_spider:

jlb
01-02-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure about your gps. But I use a product called "cat crap" to handle fog on my visors. I've never used it on prescription glasses though. I'm sure there are other products as well.

j.

wyliec
01-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Tried to go riding this evening. 28 degrees. Perfectly comfortable with my current gear but...

my glasses. my visor. Completely fogged up.

So I came home.

Now I know I should not have left the helmet in the garage. First mistake. But I need any suggestions for products or techniques.

Is there some great antifog stuff I should get? Also the Garmin was useless. Completely white from the cold. Should that be kept in the house too until I go riding and will it continue to stay visible as I ride for awhile?

Thanks.

PS - Can you tell most of my riding years were spent in California and Hawaii? lol

I use fogtech-
http://www.fogtech.com/fogtech.html

NancysToy
01-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Zooke (http://www.zooke.com/) is another one. Cat Crap was not good on my coated glasses, but the Zooke doesn't seem to hurt them. I haven't tried it riding in the cold yet, however.

j45p3r
01-02-2010, 09:41 PM
The only thing I've gotten to work on the snowmobile is a heated shield and contact lenses. I was never able to stop my glasses from fogging.

truck 85
01-03-2010, 01:19 AM
we use joy soap on the in side of the visor in the spring and fall in mini sprint and as an added bonus your helmet smells lemon fresh.nojoke

spyman2010
01-03-2010, 02:23 AM
Look up PINLOCK they are a little bit of money but they will not fog up. I use one on the wing and ride in weather down in the 20's with no problem. You just have to make sure it will fit your helmet.:2thumbs:

NancysToy
01-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Look up PINLOCK they are a little bit of money but they will not fog up. I use one on the wing and ride in weather down in the 20's with no problem. You just have to make sure it will fit your helmet.:2thumbs:
Good point! The Fog City visor inserts are another hardware option. Won't help with the glasses, though.

Dochands
01-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am trying the Zooke Red kit first. It seems to cover all the bases as long as it works. The Pinlock is very interesting but I think I will wait until Shoei offers it preinstalled in a visor. Unless these coating products are a terrible fail.

Thanks for your help. I do like the idea of the lemony fresh visor though. Might try that before my fancy products arrive. lol

Latemarch
01-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am trying the Zooke Red kit first. It seems to cover all the bases as long as it works. The Pinlock is very interesting but I think I will wait until Shoei offers it preinstalled in a visor.

I have an RF1000 and there is a pinlock visor offered by Shoei.
It's a CX-1V shield and then you need the pinlock insert of choice. Some sites offer them together like here.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Pinlock_AntiFog_Faceshield_Shoei_CX1V_Replacement--633905.html

NancysToy
01-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Zooke (http://www.zooke.com/) is another one. Cat Crap was not good on my coated glasses, but the Zooke doesn't seem to hurt them. I haven't tried it riding in the cold yet, however.
Update on the Zooke, which I just got at the Cycle World IMS yesterday. I haven't ridden yet, but I came inside from 6 degrees and a -8 windchill this morning, after getting the newspaper, and for the first time ever, my glasses didn't fog except at the edges for a scant moment. Usually I can't see anything at all, and they stay fogged for at least five minutes unless I wash or wipe them. This stuff actually works, even with my coated glasses. I think the possibilities are excellent for riding. Can't wait to try it, even on my windshields. Bye-bye Rain-X, hello Zooke.

NJERNIE
01-03-2010, 12:04 PM
After riding for years I've found the best solution is just crack the visor open a bit and it only takes a minute for everything to clear up. And it doesn't cost a dime.

Happy Spyder Owner:yes:

Star Cruiser
01-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I use Hockey Visor Spray. I-Tech is about $8 a 4 oz bottle but I find that Fog-off works well too. I just switch the bottle from my hockey bag to my saddle bag. I find I have to apply it each time I go out, but a light quick wipe lasts the entire day.

boborgera
01-03-2010, 01:03 PM
After riding for years I've found the best solution is just crack the visor open a bit and it only takes a minute for everything to clear up. And it doesn't cost a dime.

:agree::agree: Plus you don't have chemicals a 1/4 inch from your nose.

wyliec
01-03-2010, 02:06 PM

I tried that; plus my Arai has a small slide button to do that also and neither has worked for me.

wyliec
01-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Update on the Zooke, which I just got at the Cycle World IMS yesterday. I haven't ridden yet, but I came inside from 6 degrees and a -8 windchill this morning, after getting the newspaper, and for the first time ever, my glasses didn't fog except at the edges for a scant moment. Usually I can't see anything at all, and they stay fogged for at least five minutes unless I wash or wipe them. This stuff actually works, even with my coated glasses. I think the possibilities are excellent for riding. Can't wait to try it, even on my windshields. Bye-bye Rain-X, hello Zooke.

Scotty,

Did you do both sides of the lenses?

NancysToy
01-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Scotty,

Did you do both sides of the lenses?
Yes, the salesman actually did them yesterday, with the Z-Wax.

Dochands
01-03-2010, 06:34 PM
The Red kit has all three versions of Zooke's products so I plan to try all three. Glasses, visor, and a camera lens.

Ill let you all know how they fair.

Ravi4l
01-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Best and the only thing always worked and available for me Spit hahah well try it sometimes clean the inside with your spit you well never have fog issues again. I been doing this for long time

Happy New Year

Ravi

bone crusher
01-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I use Hockey Visor Spray. I-Tech is about $8 a 4 oz bottle but I find that Fog-off works well too. I just switch the bottle from my hockey bag to my saddle bag. I find I have to apply it each time I go out, but a light quick wipe lasts the entire day.

I use the product from Rain-X...the fog-off or whatever it is called (haven't looked at the bottle for a while)...haven't had a problem since...does a good job. I also put rain-x on the outside as it helps to push water off the helmet faster...

boborgera
01-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Best and the only thing always worked and available for me Spit hahah well try it sometimes clean the inside with your spit you well never have fog issues again. I been doing this for long time

Happy New Year

Ravi

Hope you don't chew Red Man, Actually dog snot work's well too.:roflblack:

Ravi4l
01-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah maybe I’ll get dog just for that reason, hahah

But on side note if you look @ swimmers they lick there goggles before they swim they never have fog issues.

boborgera
01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Ye hahah

But on side note if you look @ swimmers they lick there goggles before they swim they never have fog issues.

That's where they hide the steroids.:ohyea:

BajaRon
01-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I didn't see where you said which helmet you have. Arai, KBC and others make a breath guard that keeps your breath from going up into the shield, glasses area. If you have a helmet that will take one of these optional breath guards that should solve your problems and it is about the least expensive way to go as well.

Dochands
01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Shoei but I'll check it out.

I wondered about spit. Its what we do when we scuba dive. lol

BajaRon
01-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Shoei but I'll check it out.

I wondered about spit. Its what we do when we scuba dive. lol

You're right about the spit and scuba diving....never worked as well for me in a motorcycle shield. :dontknow:

I'm not as familiar with the Shoei products as I am with Arai but try this web site.

Shoei® Breath Guard And Chin Curtain (http://www.google.com/product_url?q=http://www.powersports360.com/eshopprod_cat_5857-21582-21602_product_789012.SHOEI174_BREATH_GUARD_AND_C.h tm%3Futm_source%3DVersaFeed%26utm_medium%3DVersaFe ed%26utm_content%3DShoei%25C2%25AE%2BBreath%2BGuar d%2BAnd%2BChin%2BCurtain%26utm_campaign%3Dbase&fr=AHxWrs_Gwee9RIx_lZu2isphkF7u7eKdE-HcEi3LQIQo0v9RU9k_vNs8d9Z8eGWWj_gttRl4qtGlC7hhXk-REVsuqvIz_BtQKqzjYDEB5b3rQ3yn548TmmbQhKnGDI-Fc00pkC8emzJNnULs52AaUJBDigN538h-YiRjp-9YZqs7XWzo33aw6Uuid0yWiRYVjD32hmAEg9fDmXvlSWDE0NRm wspj_TMPV3hL2yDMo2MT-sIZIRA8uTXjAFsP7wDMVGfJikeLNZn7D5CWhkODId2_VJrFCt5 PzUS1Rq_7T7OOVLiw7ls-wYFYw-3Te_pcFH9mEE-hgfYASloNsjszKNpPKY8xoe5sDQAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title)

NancysToy
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
You're right about the spit and scuba diving....never worked as well for me in a motorcycle shield. :dontknow:

I'm not as familiar with the Shoei products as I am with Arai but try this web site.

Shoei® Breath Guard And Chin Curtain (http://www.google.com/product_url?q=http://www.powersports360.com/eshopprod_cat_5857-21582-21602_product_789012.SHOEI174_BREATH_GUARD_AND_C.h tm%3Futm_source%3DVersaFeed%26utm_medium%3DVersaFe ed%26utm_content%3DShoei%25C2%25AE%2BBreath%2BGuar d%2BAnd%2BChin%2BCurtain%26utm_campaign%3Dbase&fr=AHxWrs_Gwee9RIx_lZu2isphkF7u7eKdE-HcEi3LQIQo0v9RU9k_vNs8d9Z8eGWWj_gttRl4qtGlC7hhXk-REVsuqvIz_BtQKqzjYDEB5b3rQ3yn548TmmbQhKnGDI-Fc00pkC8emzJNnULs52AaUJBDigN538h-YiRjp-9YZqs7XWzo33aw6Uuid0yWiRYVjD32hmAEg9fDmXvlSWDE0NRm wspj_TMPV3hL2yDMo2MT-sIZIRA8uTXjAFsP7wDMVGfJikeLNZn7D5CWhkODId2_VJrFCt5 PzUS1Rq_7T7OOVLiw7ls-wYFYw-3Te_pcFH9mEE-hgfYASloNsjszKNpPKY8xoe5sDQAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title)
I agree about the SCUBA masks. As a former SCUBA instructor, I always used this method. Never worked for me with motorcycle helmets, goggles, or glasses, though, either.

One other note. The tight, winter breath guards can certainly help, especially on the faceshield, but they are not 100% effective. The ones with a bendable srtip at the nose, to keep them tight, are best. If you use a chin curtain, your glasses seem to fog no matter what you do. When I wear my chin curtain, I have to either remove my glasses, or open the face shield about 3/4".

Dochands
01-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I have installed my chin curtain and I figured that did not help. I do have a baclava with a heat recovery built in. I wonder if that might solve the problem and keep me even more toasty.

Thanks for the breath guard link. Like I said I am in a whole new world riding in the cold.

Hopefully the products I ordered will work.

BajaRon
01-04-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure there is a perfect solution as even the heated shields don't work for the glasses. The breath guards seem to be the best when glasses are involved because they keep the breath air from going up.

This is the cold weather breath guard for the Arai. It is made of soft cloth and blocks off the area below the nose to prevent fogging. Still not a perfect solution but works very well. It's one of those things that gets better as you learn to work with it.

hondaman
01-04-2010, 08:03 PM
this works for me

NancysToy
01-04-2010, 08:52 PM
this works for me
I've been looking at these. They remind me of a jet pilot's helmet, I guess.

Dochands
01-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Sorry to say the the Zooke did nothing much for my visor or glasses under the helmet. I am far sighted mostly so I can ride without my glasses.

Thanks to Nancytoy for mentioning in another post the Fog City insert. I read a review comparing them to the Progrip inserts for fogging.

On my clear shield I tried a Progrip last summerand was disappointed with it. I replaced it with the quality mirror shield from Shoei. But it works like a charm against the fogging.

So as usual my quest is a dead heat on a merry go round. I had the solution all the time and did not realize it. I still prefer my mirrored visor but no fogging is great.

So no glasses or contacts, clear visor with Progrip and I am, finally, good to go in the cold.

Thanks all for your help. Clearly, helmet manufacters need to make helmets fog proof, polychromatic with builtin Bluetooth, HUD, and rear view mirror systems. Instead of one helmet having one thing and one having another. And while we are at it, why not built in noise canceling headphones like my Bose aircraft headset? If it were built into the padding it would certainly fit. Is that too much to ask? LOL

wyliec
01-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Sorry to say the the Zooke did nothing much for my visor or glasses under the helmet. I am far sighted mostly so I can ride without my glasses.

Thanks to Nancytoy for mentioning in another post the Fog City insert. I read a review comparing them to the Progrip inserts for fogging.

On my clear shield I tried a Progrip last summerand was disappointed with it. I replaced it with the quality mirror shield from Shoei. But it works like a charm against the fogging.

So as usual my quest is a dead heat on a merry go round. I had the solution all the time and did not realize it. I still prefer my mirrored visor but no fogging is great.

So no glasses or contacts, clear visor with Progrip and I am, finally, good to go in the cold.

Thanks all for your help. Clearly, helmet manufacters need to make helmets fog proof, polychromatic with builtin Bluetooth, HUD, and rear view mirror systems. Instead of one helmet having one thing and one having another. And while we are at it, why not built in noise canceling headphones like my Bose aircraft headset? If it were built into the padding it would certainly fit. Is that too much to ask? LOL

I have an arai and was going to get a pinlock set up; but, I looked at the pro grip here:

http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1205003/p/706

If this is what you are talking about and it prevents fogging, I think I'll give it a try; it's a lot cheaper.

NancysToy
01-17-2010, 07:32 PM

I gave the Zooke a good test Saturday. Didn't completely work for me, either...disappointingly. It was the worst when I first put on my glasses, and I was all heated up from getting my gear on. I did notice that it made the glasses clear much more quickly, though. I only had to stop breathing or breath slowly for a few seconds and they would clear, whereas before it could take minutes if I wasn't moving or came inside. On the road, it actually performed reasonably well, especially if I cracked open the faceshield when I stopped. It was an improvement, but not perfect. It was worth using, since I did not have to abandon my glasses altogether, but I'd like something better. I'm gonna order some Clarity Defog-It from Amazon, and try that next. Too hard to see the fine print on the RT-S display without my glasses. :D

Dochands
01-17-2010, 09:14 PM
NancyT let me know if it works for you. Perhaps the Progrip will help that too.

Wyliec do a search on google for the Fog insert and you'll find a review comparison of both products. The Progrip is polychromatic and is sold primarily for that purpose even though I found it did very little for sun.

wyliec
01-17-2010, 09:40 PM
NancyT let me know if it works for you. Perhaps the Progrip will help that too.

Wyliec do a search on google for the Fog insert and you'll find a review comparison of both products. The Progrip is polychromatic and is sold primarily for that purpose even though I found it did very little for sun.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/visors/fog-city-progrip.htm
I read the reviews. I think I'll pay the price for a pinlock.

bone crusher
01-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Come on guys...all seasoned riders know what the best approach is...don't breathe when you are riding...problem solved...the thrill of the Spyder should keep you going long enough!

jlb
01-18-2010, 06:59 PM
And while we are at it, why not built in noise canceling headphones like my Bose aircraft headset?

Sorry to go off subject, but you have a Bose headset? I am so jealous, love my LightSpeeds but Bose.....

Ok, back to the original subject.

jsmiley
01-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I commute daily in this cold stuff. I have used a couple different products before buying a fogbox for my helmet at $12. Just checking the seal around my nose on the fog box before riding, keeping my mouth vents open, and on rare occasions cracking the visor keeps my visor nice and clear. The coldest so far was -2 degrees with wind chill. :thumbup:

Only bad part is it can be a pain to take my helmet off as the fit is so snug.

Dochands
01-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks to hondaman I realize his working cold helmet is a snowmobile helmet.

I looked at some on a site and many look just like my Shoei except for the electric visor and breathing system. And they are generally less expensive than my Shoei which means it could be the helmet I use in winter only.

My question is why not? I am not sure they would be too hot in summer or something even fully vented but they seem to have more advanced features than even my Shoei Multitec.

Is there a safety concern or something else I am missing here?

NancysToy
01-20-2010, 12:59 PM

I looked at some on a site and many look just like my Shoei except for the electric visor and breathing system. And they are generally less expensive than my Shoei which means it could be the helmet I use in winter only.

My question is why not? I am not sure they would be too hot in summer or something even fully vented but they seem to have more advanced features than even my Shoei Multitec.

Some sled helmets are not DOT approved, especially the faceshields. As long as it has approval for highway use, you will be OK.

boborgera
01-20-2010, 01:19 PM

With Some heated snowmobile helmets you will lose allot of peripheral vision.
:spyder: Check that out before you buy.

Longlegs
01-21-2010, 10:07 PM
I wear my Skidoo (BRP) modular helmet all year. It has a dual lense shield to help with fogging, and a breath mask for when it is really cold.

bjt
01-21-2010, 10:47 PM
I agree with BajaRon on this one. I got the breath box for my Scorpion helmet last winter and it really cut down on the fogging of my visor. It has the thin metal bridge that Scotty mentioned to form fit it to your nose. It helps to keep my face warm too.

BajaRon
01-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I agree with BajaRon on this one. I got the breath box for my Scorpion helmet last winter and it really cut down on the fogging of my visor. It has the thin metal bridge that Scotty mentioned to form fit it to your nose. It helps to keep my face warm too.

What I like about the breath guards is they are cheap and work with the helmet you alreay like (and is hopefully paid for! :yikes:).

If it doesn't work for you you're not out much. You can put it in or take it out as needed making 1 helmet your all year headgear. I think it is a good starting point at least.

bjt
01-22-2010, 08:27 AM
What I like about the breath guards is they are cheap and work with the helmet you alreay like (and is hopefully paid for! :yikes:).

If it doesn't work for you you're not out much. You can put it in or take it out as needed making 1 helmet your all year headgear. I think it is a good starting point at least.

I think mine cost $7. :thumbup:

mxz600
01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I use my ski-doo Modular snowmobile helmet. It has excellent ventilation, works great for the glasses also.

If you don't want to spend $300.00 on a helmet you could always use a No Fog Breath Deflector. Below is a link for a review. My son used one for a couple of years before I bought him a ski-doo helmet, it does work, just a bit of a pain to use.
http://www.snowmobile.com/products/no-fog-mask-helps-riders-see-clearly-395.html

duneside
01-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I agree with MXZ600, the no-fog mask is the best thing since sliced bread, just got mine a couple weeks ago its nice to be able to see when your riding inches from trees! God I love winter!:clap:

wukka
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I gave the Zooke a good test Saturday. Didn't completely work for me, either...disappointingly. It was the worst when I first put on my glasses, and I was all heated up from getting my gear on. I did notice that it made the glasses clear much more quickly, though. I only had to stop breathing or breath slowly for a few seconds and they would clear, whereas before it could take minutes if I wasn't moving or came inside. On the road, it actually performed reasonably well, especially if I cracked open the faceshield when I stopped. It was an improvement, but not perfect. It was worth using, since I did not have to abandon my glasses altogether, but I'd like something better. I'm gonna order some Clarity Defog-It from Amazon, and try that next. Too hard to see the fine print on the RT-S display without my glasses. :D

I was waiting for someone to chime in on the effectiveness of ZOOKE products. I have tried their products many time, and none of those ever worked effectively. Even after some "tips" from the sales people at the local motorcycle show, I have been very disappointed with their products.

I now use the FOGTECH wipes, which is portable (small pouches) and very easy to use (wipe on, and let it dry). Works extremely well.

BajaRon
01-22-2010, 11:29 PM
I use my ski-doo Modular snowmobile helmet. It has excellent ventilation, works great for the glasses also.

If you don't want to spend $300.00 on a helmet you could always use a No Fog Breath Deflector. Below is a link for a review. My son used one for a couple of years before I bought him a ski-doo helmet, it does work, just a bit of a pain to use.
http://www.snowmobile.com/products/no-fog-mask-helps-riders-see-clearly-395.html

Wow! That thing looks like a pain. Seems like the breath guard would do the same thing and be a lot less trouble.

If you needed the additional warmth a balaclava and breath guard should do the job.

dltang
01-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Wow! That thing looks like a pain. Seems like the breath guard would do the same thing and be a lot less trouble.

If you needed the additional warmth a balaclava and breath guard should do the job.

Yup, I use a balaclava with a turtle fur neck ad the breath guard, keeps me warm and does a decent job on fog. Sometimes I have to crack the visor a bit but with the balaclava & turtle fur I stay pretty warm.