PDA

View Full Version : OH NO!

annieleilani
12-31-2009, 09:11 AM
Didn't even have my new Spyder for a week and the antenna broke off when I was putting it in the bike trailer. I was sick. But, the good new is that the radio still works and I don't have to worry about that big ol' stick! I'm having a hard time with the storage compartments. Seems that I have to slam them several times to get them to close tight. Yesterday after my first long ride (150 miles), I parked the Spyder and closed up the trailer, realized I had forgotten something so I went back in and the brake lights were on. Good thing I had to go back. Seems that my brake is sticking. Going to Deland Motorsports this am to have them look at it, and some other malfunctions. I can't get my bike to speak in English - that's a trip! I may have to learn a new language. Also can't get the back radio controls to work. Oh well, the bike is comfortable and I love it!

MouthPiece
12-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Please let me know how the service is at the shop in Deland. I'm in Sanford and will be getting an RT-S hopefully sometime in January. I'm not certain how the service will be down here and would like an alternative.

Thanks.

Chris:shemademe_smilie:

Lamonster
12-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Didn't even have my new Spyder for a week and the antenna broke off when I was putting it in the bike trailer. I was sick. But, the good new is that the radio still works and I don't have to worry about that big ol' stick! I'm having a hard time with the storage compartments. Seems that I have to slam them several times to get them to close tight. Yesterday after my first long ride (150 miles), I parked the Spyder and closed up the trailer, realized I had forgotten something so I went back in and the brake lights were on. Good thing I had to go back. Seems that my brake is sticking. Going to Deland Motorsports this am to have them look at it, and some other malfunctions. I can't get my bike to speak in English - that's a trip! I may have to learn a new language. Also can't get the back radio controls to work. Oh well, the bike is comfortable and I love it!

That's a bummer about the antenna.:mad:

The bags and rear trunk are a little hard to close, I have to slam mine too. This has been brought up to BRP but I'm not sure if there will be any changes.

Are you sure your brake is sticking? You know that the lights will stay on even after the key is removed for a little bit.

The controls are pretty easy once you get use to them. Your dealer should have set it up in English for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGHuD5byGps

jwfranklin
12-31-2009, 11:45 AM
I noticed on the dealer's demo, the bags you had to slam them real hard to get them to latch. I though the left side was latched, and then went to right side, when went back to left it was open.

NancysToy
12-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear the antenna broke. Guess we'll all have to be careful. Some of the fiberglass CB antennas snap easily, too. As to the bags, I have found that they seem to work best if you close them, then push hard against them or rap them with your hand. The dealer's demo loosened up over a few weeks of use, so ours may too. In the end, the tight lids are preferable. Most bag lids leak in a driving rain, unless they are hard to close and have some suction when they open. The warning on the dash will prevent any accidents on the highway.

bikeguy
12-31-2009, 06:23 PM
As to the bags, I have found that they seem to work best if you close them, then push hard against them or rap them with your hand. The dealer's demo loosened up over a few weeks of use, so ours may too. In the end, the tight lids are preferable. Most bag lids leak in a driving rain, unless they are hard to close and have some suction when they open. The warning on the dash will prevent any accidents on the highway.

I just got back from the dealer where I was just checking out a few things and the salesman showed me the same thing about closing the bags, then pushing hard. They closed just fine using this techique and I agree with Scotty that it's a good thing. The seals seemed very secure.

One of the things I wanted to check was whether my removable soft bags that fit inside my BMW R1100RT bags would fit the Spyder RT bags, and I was pleased to find that they are a perfect fit. They are Kathy's Journey Design bags from Bob's BMW. So anyone who also rides BMW's may have a set which could save some money.

One other thing I might mention. I wanted to see how to remove the panel to check the oil and when the salesman showed me, we found two of the rubber fastening grommets missing. He was certain that they had been on the Spyder when it was delivered and something had happened to them. They only have one demo unit and it's been ridden a lot, but still wouldn't expect the grommets to just fall off. Just mentioning this since those of you who have already taken delivery of RT's may want to check and make sure that all three grommets are secure.

Cotton

ataDude
12-31-2009, 06:29 PM
...One other thing I might mention. I wanted to see how to remove the panel to check the oil and when the salesman showed me, we found two of the rubber fastening grommets missing. He was certain that they had been on the Spyder when it was delivered and something had happened to them. They only have one demo unit and it's been ridden a lot, but still wouldn't expect the grommets to just fall off. Just mentioning this since those of you who have already taken delivery of RT's may want to check and make sure that all three grommets are secure.

Cotton

I know this sounds gross but... when you own the bike... on panels with grommets, put a little spit on them before you push the male part in. It will prevent the grommet from being pushed through the plastic or metal part. The spit dries out quickly and secures the part in the grommet.

Don't use silicone or Vaseline or the like... those won't dry.

docdoru
12-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Didn't even have my new Spyder for a week and the antenna broke off when I was putting it in the bike trailer. I was sick.
BMW or VW short antennas work on the Spyder RT:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/cover.jpg?t=1262302535

NancysToy
12-31-2009, 06:45 PM
One of the things I wanted to check was whether my removable soft bags that fit inside my BMW R1100RT bags would fit the Spyder RT bags, and I was pleased to find that they are a perfect fit. They are Kathy's Journey Design bags from Bob's BMW. So anyone who also rides BMW's may have a set which could save some money.
This is great news. I love the Kathy's bags. Looking at dimensions, and measuring the RT-S, I wasn't that sure they would fit. Looked like the old K12GT bags were close. I will compare more closely to my BMW R1100RT, and try these out. I don't have a set, though, since I just switched to regular lids from my original city lids (CHP bike).

One other thing I might mention. I wanted to see how to remove the panel to check the oil and when the salesman showed me, we found two of the rubber fastening grommets missing. He was certain that they had been on the Spyder when it was delivered and something had happened to them. They only have one demo unit and it's been ridden a lot, but still wouldn't expect the grommets to just fall off. Just mentioning this since those of you who have already taken delivery of RT's may want to check and make sure that all three grommets are secure.
I agree with AtaDude's method. It works well on my BMW side panel grommets. The Spyder grommets looked like they might be pushed out fairly readily when I looked at them when I picked up my RT-S. The technician thought I was nuts when I licked my fingers and ran them over the prongs before I replaced the cover. :yikes: Another helpful hint is to remove the grommet, put a tiny bit of RTV silicone in the slot, then reinstall. The cured silicone helps stick them to the body panel. BTW what's with having to pop a plastic rivet out to check the coolant level? Those grommets worked fine on the RS/GS.

glynnk
12-31-2009, 06:46 PM
I just got back from the dealer where I was just checking out a few things and the salesman showed me the same thing about closing the bags, then pushing hard. They closed just fine using this techique and I agree with Scotty that it's a good thing. The seals seemed very secure.

Cotton

Thanks for the info. Which exact Kathy's Journey Design bags are you referring to? Looked up the web site and Kathy's bag page and there seems to be quite an assortment. Confused on which ones would fit the RT? Appreciate some clarification.

Thanks,
Glynnk

bikeguy
12-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info. Which exact Kathy's Journey Design bags are you referring to? Looked up the web site and Kathy's bag page and there seems to be quite an assortment. Confused on which ones would fit the RT? Appreciate some clarification.

Thanks,
Glynnk

The bags are the ones for the R1100/R1150RT. They are on the very bottom right hand side of the page. I won't post a link because I'm not sure if Lamonster would appreciate that. The bags fit the right hand side of the Spyder RT perfectly, maybe even better than they fit my BMW. Because of the bump-out for the battery in the left side saddle bag, you have to scrunch the bag in on the left side but it's still a pretty darn good fit. Kathy's bags are good quality, heavy cloth bags. I really like them.

Cotton

bikeguy
12-31-2009, 08:44 PM
This is great news. I love the Kathy's bags. Looking at dimensions, and measuring the RT-S, I wasn't that sure they would fit. Looked like the old K12GT bags were close. I will compare more closely to my BMW R1100RT, and try these out. I don't have a set, though, since I just switched to regular lids from my original city lids (CHP bike).

My 1100RT has the regular lids and I really like the Kathy's bags. I had the bag stuffed with newspaper when I tried it and that may have given a little more than several pairs of rolled up jeans, T-shirts, etc. but I think they'll be just fine. The height and width dimensions were just perfect.

I agree with AtaDude's method. It works well on my BMW side panel grommets. The Spyder grommets looked like they might be pushed out fairly readily when I looked at them when I picked up my RT-S. The technician thought I was nuts when I licked my fingers and ran them over the prongs before I replaced the cover. :yikes: Another helpful hint is to remove the grommet, put a tiny bit of RTV silicone in the slot, then reinstall. The cured silicone helps stick them to the body panel. BTW what's with having to pop a plastic rivet out to check the coolant level? Those grommets worked fine on the RS/GS.

Yep, that's good advice. A little spit is pretty good lubricant and it dries to nothing. Another good tip about the RTV silicone.

I intended to look at the plastic rivet then forgot. I assume that it is destroyed when it's popped out. I also assume that it can't be easily replaced with a small bolt and nut or they wouldn't have used a rivet in the first place. Next time I go over to the dealer, I'll look at it.

Cotton

bikeguy
12-31-2009, 08:47 PM
I know this sounds gross but... when you own the bike... on panels with grommets, put a little spit on them before you push the male part in. It will prevent the grommet from being pushed through the plastic or metal part. The spit dries out quickly and secures the part in the grommet.

Don't use silicone or Vaseline or the like... those won't dry.

Good advice, ataDude. It never occurred to me that the grommets were probably pushed through the holes and lost. I'll call the salesman at the dealership and tell him.

Cotton

NancysToy
12-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Yep, that's good advice. A little spit is pretty good lubricant and it dries to nothing. Another good tip about the RTV silicone.

I intended to look at the plastic rivet then forgot. I assume that it is destroyed when it's popped out. I also assume that it can't be easily replaced with a small bolt and nut or they wouldn't have used a rivet in the first place. Next time I go over to the dealer, I'll look at it.

Cotton
The plastic "rivets" aren't destroyed. You pry up the center plug with a screwdriver or alternate tool, then pull the entire rivet out. To reinstall, insert in aligned holes, then press in plug until it bottoms. Most of the Spyder panels are partially attached with these rivets. Having to use a tool to check the coolant level is annoying, however, and makes for less frequent checks than are prudent.

bikeguy
12-31-2009, 10:10 PM
The plastic "rivets" aren't destroyed. You pry up the center plug with a screwdriver or alternate tool, then pull the entire rivet out. To reinstall, insert in aligned holes, then press in plug until it bottoms. Most of the Spyder panels are partially attached with these rivets. Having to use a tool to check the coolant level is annoying, however, and makes for less frequent checks than are prudent.

Oh, okay. In the owner's manual, when it said plastic rivet I assumed it was something like a pop rivet but made out of plastic. That's better but I agree that it's not good to have to use a tool to check the coolant level.

It may be hard for me to remember to check the coolant anyway. The Spyder will be the first motorcycle I've ever owned that is water cooled. My oilhead BMW is the first one I've owned that isn't totally air cooled. Gonna have to give up being old fashioned one of these days. LOL

Cotton

annieleilani
01-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Chris, I have to tell you that I dealt with 2 other dealers before I found Deland. They are the only dealership that treated me fairly and with respect. That's why I bought my new RT-S from them. They will work with you on price even if you don't buy your bike from them. (I don't mean on the bike itself) I took my other Spyder to a local bike shop in Umatilla for all of my regular maintenance and and Deland knew that, but still treated me great. I like them so much that I sent a letter to BRP about a year ago, praising their professionalism.

annieleilani
01-01-2010, 06:03 AM
BMW or VW short antennas work on the Spyder RT:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/cover.jpg?t=1262302535
That is good to know. Deland Motorsports is going to warranty the antenna even though I felt it was my fault.

annieleilani
01-01-2010, 06:21 AM
I took the Spyder to the dealership yesterday and number 1 - they are going to warranty the antenna :yes:- #2 - turns out the brake was sticking but could be due to several factors, so they squirted some brake cleaner on and it's not sticking anymore. #3 - When I took delivery of my new bike, the dealership could not get the English mode to stay. The contacted BRP and had to download something off the computer. It's still not right, but we hope to get it corrected next week. Went for another wonderful ride yesterday. Will have to get my first 600 mile oil change this coming week!
Loved your video of the controls, Lamont! Sure you can read the book, but that helped a lot. ;)

NancysToy
01-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Oh, okay. In the owner's manual, when it said plastic rivet I assumed it was something like a pop rivet but made out of plastic. That's better but I agree that it's not good to have to use a tool to check the coolant level.

It may be hard for me to remember to check the coolant anyway. The Spyder will be the first motorcycle I've ever owned that is water cooled. My oilhead BMW is the first one I've owned that isn't totally air cooled. Gonna have to give up being old fashioned one of these days. LOL

Cotton
:roflblack: I had the same problem when Nancy's Spyder came home. My oilhead BMW is also the first that is not totally air cooled. The other 21 in the garage are conventional. Not a hard adjustment, however, just more things to check.

I took the Spyder to the dealership yesterday and number 1 - they are going to warranty the antenna :yes:- #2 - turns out the brake was sticking but could be due to several factors, so they squirted some brake cleaner on and it's not sticking anymore. #3 - When I took delivery of my new bike, the dealership could not get the English mode to stay. The contacted BRP and had to download something off the computer. It's still not right, but we hope to get it corrected next week. Went for another wonderful ride yesterday. Will have to get my first 600 mile oil change this coming week!
Loved your video of the controls, Lamont! Sure you can read the book, but that helped a lot. ;)
Glad to hear the dealer is helping you out with these glitches. I hope you don't have to keep reverting to speaking (and reading) French too long. Maybe your Spyder is homesick for Valcourt. :D

Roaddog2
01-01-2010, 09:21 AM
:roflblack: I had the same problem when Nancy's Spyder came home. My oilhead BMW is also the first that is not totally air cooled. The other 21 in the garage are conventional. Not a hard adjustment, however, just more things to check.

Glad to hear the dealer is helping you out with these glitches. I hope you don't have to keep reverting to speaking (and reading) French too long. Maybe your Spyder is homesick for Valcourt. :DROSETTA STONE for :spyder:rs:joke:

MouthPiece
01-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks so much for gettin back with me. I'll certainly keep them in mind. I only live 3 minutes from Seminole Power Sports and they are certainly convenient. However, I'm not opposed to riding a few more miles if it means great service.:shemademe_smilie: