PDA

View Full Version : Tire Wear

Yspyder
12-29-2009, 07:40 PM
I am sure this has been discussed before, but what kind of tire milage can I expect with the RT. I would think it would be about the same as the other models but I am a new owner of any Spyder so it is all new to me. My Gold Wing usually got about 18-20K. By the way, we ordered our RT mid December and I don't think I will see it until March. Glad to see so many being delivered down south.:thumbup:

NancysToy
12-29-2009, 08:45 PM
I am sure this has been discussed before, but what kind of tire milage can I expect with the RT. I would think it would be about the same as the other models but I am a new owner of any Spyder so it is all new to me. My Gold Wing usually got about 18-20K. By the way, we ordered our RT mid December and I don't think I will see it until March. Glad to see so many being delivered down south.:thumbup:
Tire life for the RT is pretty much an unknown, for now. At least one RT5 Spyder had 10,000 miles before it was replaced, with no need for new tires. Tire life for the RS model seems quite variable, depending on the rider, averaging 10,000 miles for the rear and 15-20,000 for the front. These seem to be middle of the road figures, with some much higher and some much lower. I am surprised you could get that much mileage on Goldwing tires, especially if your figures are in miles. I can only manage 4-6K miles on my BMW RT. Stickier tires on the sport touring bikes, I guess, but I have never heard of 18-20K miles on a motorcycle of any kind, although 18-20K kilometers might be possible. Still darned good tire life, even in km. Remember that the RT is heavier, with the exact same tires, so I would expect the tire mileage to be reduced...at least for docile riders. BTW, my RT came in last week, in Michigan, so we are getting some in the north.