PDA

View Full Version : eXperience

wndrshwn
12-28-2009, 05:05 PM
i have no motorcycle riding experience and no traditional manual shifting experience. i have a car with dsg transmission, semi-automatic or full auto shifting, like a tiptronic.
would the learning curve be too steep, would an msf course help at all?

Sarge707
12-28-2009, 05:36 PM
i have no motorcycle riding experience and no traditional manual shifting experience. i have a car with dsg transmission, semi-automatic or full auto shifting, like a tiptronic.
would the learning curve be too steep, would an msf course help at all?

Any Careful, Respectful, Situationally Aware, Defensive Type Driver would do very well with a Spyder!!!
A MSF would be a excellent idea BUT is not absolutely needed based on your Life Long Driving History??
( Your Honor, "I take the 5th!"):shemademe_smilie:

GaryTheBadger
12-28-2009, 05:49 PM
I consider the MSF course manditory and a small price to pay to potentially save your life.

As for shifting, you didn't state your preference, but the semi-auto option for the Spyder eliminates your need for hand and foot coordination, so it would be easier to ride, especially for a beginner like yourself.

adohring
12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
There has been a good bit of talk about the importance of an MSF class and while I certainly think it's a good idea as it covers alot about just being more aware while operating the vehicle, I just don't see it being crucial like it is for operating a 2 wheel motorcycle. BRP intentionally refers to the Spyder as a Roadster and not a motorcycle. It handles and rides nothing like a motorcycle does in my opinion. It's a unique riding experience but is far more similar to a snow mobile or 4 wheeler if you ask me. Much of the motorcycle specific stuff in an MSF course would not apply to the Spyder.

Again, I think everyone would benefit from an MSF course but I certainly don't think it is critical to safely ride a Spyder.

Just my 2 cents...

retread
12-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Just a quick question -- does MSF have their trike classes available yet? I know they will probably be heavy on the "standard" trikes, but anthing that makes me more aware, and gets me discounts on my insurance, is worth my time/money.

john

Smylinacha
12-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Yes the motorcycle safety course is for 2 wheels (at least it is here in CT) but it is PRICELESS for what you learn. Just cuz you're not on 2 wheels doesn't matter, IMHO. This course teaches you do deal with panic situations - and since you are in an "open air" vehicle, no seat belt, no airbags, no metal frame surrounding you, I think it's a good idea to take the course. Teaches you how to deal w/ emergency situations, whether it be a panic stop for a deer, a stupid soccer mom on the cell phone, kids darting out in the street after a ball, stupid pedestrians, everything and anything.

I took the course and it was what I needed, plus I got a small break on insurance as well. I took this course and rode two wheels - I apply all the same stuff (except for leaning) when ryding my :spyder:.

NancysToy
12-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes the motorcycle safety course is for 2 wheels (at least it is here in CT) but it is PRICELESS for what you learn. Just cuz you're not on 2 wheels doesn't matter, IMHO. This course teaches you do deal with panic situations - and since you are in an "open air" vehicle, no seat belt, no airbags, no metal frame surrounding you, I think it's a good idea to take the course. Teaches you how to deal w/ emergency situations, whether it be a panic stop for a deer, a stupid soccer mom on the cell phone, kids darting out in the street after a ball, stupid pedestrians, everything and anything.

I took the course and it was what I needed, plus I got a small break on insurance as well. I took this course and rode two wheels - I apply all the same stuff (except for leaning) when ryding my :spyder:.
:agree: One more thing, a great deal of time is spent teaching you about using the clutch, and getting used to the friction point. You should feel quite comfortable with the clutch after your MSF course.

SpyderWolf
12-28-2009, 09:24 PM
welcome to you as well wndrshwn.

adohring
12-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Scotty, that is a good point about the friction point exercises. It does help with using the clutch. But with the SE5 solid clutch skills are not a requirement for Spyder riding.

And as for teaching you how to deal with panic situations I just disagree that an MSF course helps with that other than to help you be more aware. My MSF course focused on front and rear brake application during quick stops. Ensure you don't lock the back wheel up and such. None of that matters on a Spyder with 3 wheel ABS. Quick obstacle avoidance techniques and countersteering, again totally different on the Spyder and the same techniques are not usuable. Panic stops in a curve, totally different on a 3 wheeled vehicle with ABS so you don't have any of the same concerns about laying the bike down.

I just don't believe a safety course designed for issues encountered on a two wheel vehicle with independant front and rear brakes is that critical for safety on a 4 wheeler or a vehicle like the Spyder.

Again, please don't misunderstand as I am not discouraging anyone from taking an MSF course, I just think most of the people in cars could benefit from one as well.

RoadHammer
12-28-2009, 09:39 PM
take the safety course, It's so easy to ride a spider even a caveman could do it.

SpyderGirl
12-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Definitely take the safety course. :thumbup:

No, it's not necessary to learn how to ride a Spyder... just about anyone can do that. But doing it right, that's another story.

bone crusher
12-28-2009, 11:08 PM
I think the point here is that the motorcycle classes don't apply to the Spyder in regards to learning how to ride, but they do apply to learning safety guidelines.

I think the main benefit of the classes is the reduction in insurance premiums by usually about 10% per year. I find that riding the Spyder is very similar to being in a car. The Spyder is far more visible than a two wheeler and it has safety features that limit a lot of the dangers that can be found on a two wheeler. You aren't going to drop your Spyder on a slick turn, gravel, sand, etc...and you are not going to be in too many blind spots...just as is the case with any vehicle you take on the road, there is a learning curve that also involves a comfort factor. As you ride more, you will become more comfortable. How anyone can determine that they are a better Spyder rider than someone else is beyond me. It simply cannot be done...and I don't believe a course of any kind is going to make you a better rider...anything you do in a controlled environment is different than in a real-life situation and a few attempts at a quick swerve or hard brake is only going to get you familiar with what that two wheeler can do...each situation is unique as is each bike's function...I'd sooner rely on cat-like reflexes over most classroom taught material for riding.

The way to become a better rider is to ride more and in different environments (city, suburbia, rural, etc...)...I believe that anyone can learn how to ride a Spyder confidently with some practice...and the learning curve should be far shorter than on a two wheeler...

NancysToy
12-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Scotty, that is a good point about the friction point exercises. It does help with using the clutch. But with the SE5 solid clutch skills are not a requirement for Spyder riding.

And as for teaching you how to deal with panic situations I just disagree that an MSF course helps with that other than to help you be more aware. My MSF course focused on front and rear brake application during quick stops. Ensure you don't lock the back wheel up and such. None of that matters on a Spyder with 3 wheel ABS. Quick obstacle avoidance techniques and countersteering, again totally different on the Spyder and the same techniques are not usuable. Panic stops in a curve, totally different on a 3 wheeled vehicle with ABS so you don't have any of the same concerns about laying the bike down.

I just don't believe a safety course designed for issues encountered on a two wheel vehicle with independant front and rear brakes is that critical for safety on a 4 wheeler or a vehicle like the Spyder.

Again, please don't misunderstand as I am not discouraging anyone from taking an MSF course, I just think most of the people in cars could benefit from one as well.
I can't disagree with some of your points. The mechanics are, indeed, different, and the consequences are, too. I do believe that a beginning rider is too unaware of the actions of others, trouble warning signs, and defensive riding techniques to head off to the street without some detailed instruction, though. Self-taught is OK, but there is no test, and most riders will probably do little more than skim the safety pages in the manual...if they ever open it at all. An MSF course forces the necessary learning about general hazards. A Spyder rider will have to be aware that much of what they learn, and the reaction of a Spyder in an avoidance maneuver or panic stop, are much different than on their training motorcycle. Still, the ability to recognize and react is taught and practiced, so the rider develops needed basic skills and reactions. Beyond the MSF course, parking lot practice of specific Spyder is skills is a must, IMO, for a rider to know the differences, and to learn and be ready to react to the kind of situations the MSF course emphasizes. Until there is a Spyder or trike specific course, a combination of MSF and parking lot practice is the best available option, and is still far better than self-taught, as far as I am concerned. I vote for more instruction for Spyder riders, not less. There is far more to riding than not falling over.

Smylinacha
12-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Exactly!

:agree: One more thing, a great deal of time is spent teaching you about using the clutch, and getting used to the friction point. You should feel quite comfortable with the clutch after your MSF course.