PDA

View Full Version : Awesome sidecars

irish2themax
12-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Awesome sidecars (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=604)

Dragonrider
12-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Anyone interested in riding a hack should take the rider's class - I have, and for the roads I ride on, my Spyder is as close as I'll ever come to one. Among other things, I'm a licensed pilot, and "flying the car" is as inspiring as an pulling a stall and ending in a spin.... :chat:

chris56
12-28-2009, 11:36 AM
brilliant pics !!
i would take the bmw1200c & redbull or the one with the VW-bully
(had a bully and a 1200c a time ago)
chris

truck 85
12-28-2009, 01:36 PM
If you put a side car on a Spyder is it a four wheeler?:roflblack::roflblack::shemademe_smilie:

Smylinacha
12-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Well if we ever get a Ural, I'd love to learn! I heard driving a hack is hard to do.

retread
12-28-2009, 11:12 PM
I was looking at a Ural when I found out about the Spyder, top speed around 62mph, mileage around 28. Should be decent for around town, maybe some secondary roads, but I like running faster than a 750 boxer can push the Ural.

john

RAL
12-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Well if we ever get a Ural, I'd love to learn! I heard driving a hack is hard to do.
Not hard just different. I had forgotten how different till I jumped on the Ural the other day and had my first mishap on her. I put her into the fence next door when I made the sharp up hill right to go up the driveway.
Buggered up my left turn signal and brused my pride. Damn Spyder is so stable I forgot just how much I need gear back in corners on the Ural.
My Ural will go 70+ mph but you do not want to run that fast, you are just wringing the life out of her. 55 MPHs and she'll hum along all day without complaint. Back woods roads, offroad she will really shines. You can haul 600lbs of gear in the sidecar or mans best friend as well as your SO.
If you are in a hurry stick to the Spyder. For chores around town or exploring back roads the Ural is a great tool. The MPG is like the Spyder 26 to 38/40 depending on how hard you ride. The Ural and Spyder are the perfect pair mfor me. If someone does get a Ural the sidecar Trike course is a MUST IMHO.

RAL

Dragonrider
12-29-2009, 09:59 AM
:agree: I really recommend the course, if you have any interest at all. The one I took had both sidecars and standard trikes. My course gave me a 30% discount for bringing my Spyder, which none of the instructors had ever ridden!! Might be worth a shot out there too....

Smylinacha
12-29-2009, 05:54 PM
HDX keeps saying he wants a Ural - this way we can ride in the snow and off road. Not in a hurry - not in that type of weather but it would be fun! There is a guy at work who rides one. Don't see too many of them around but I think they are totally cool!:2thumbs:

NancysToy
12-29-2009, 06:27 PM
HDX keeps saying he wants a Ural - this way we can ride in the snow and off road. Not in a hurry - not in that type of weather but it would be fun! There is a guy at work who rides one. Don't see too many of them around but I think they are totally cool!:2thumbs:
Nancy wanted us to get one real bad. I talked her out of it, and eventually she got her Spyder instead. I am so glad! I am not too fond of the Ural. Probably due to my BMWs. The Ural is a copy that originated with the WWII era Beemers. I like vintage, but that may be taking things too far. Next thing you know they will be reproducing Orville & Wilbur Wright's airplane. :joke:

Dwight
12-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Been there, Done that.
But I really would like to have a Ural, just for the back road stuff. We spent many years and many miles on Harley Sidecars. Last one was a 90 Ultra Classic. Sold that and bought our S3t Buell (still have it). We were racing cars then and weren't doing much riding. When I finally got tired working 5 days a week on the race car for one night of racing we decided to go back to motorcycle touring. It was getting pretty hard for me to muscle a big rig around so we started looking at trikes. I put a Gold Wing/Hannigan kit together in 04, Harley Ultra/CSC in 07, bought and sold a Tri-Glide this year (09) and took delivery of our new RT-S on the 23rd of Dec.
Sidecars require a whole new learning experience and while we enjoyed them the trikes, in our case, are just more fun.
I also had a racing career with sidecars. We raced a dirt sidecar for several years. In 1977 I lost the heat race and the main event in the national AMA amatuer championship for the 500cc class, crashing out when I ran into the back of the first place rig.:opps: In 1980 we won the whole thing without losing any races. Pretty much my 15 minutes of fame.
We are looking forward to many miles on the new Spyder, big trip this summer, New Hampshire to see friends, Maine, then the ferry to Nova Scotia. Still haven't planned the whole route but thinking of using 3 or 4 weeks to do it. Ok, that's probably more information than anybody wanted to know so I'll sign off now.

Dwight

DynamoBT
12-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Dwight, if you were going to ride the "Cat" out of Bar Harbor to Yarmouth. . . it's gone out of business.:(

Be sure to post details as you come through New England.
Sure would like to meet you!!

Lamonster
12-29-2009, 07:17 PM
I've been looking real hard at this one.

http://www.imz-ural.com/redoctober/images/red-october-in2_03.jpg

dltang
12-29-2009, 07:24 PM
I've been looking real hard at this one.

http://www.imz-ural.com/redoctober/images/red-october-in2_03.jpg

I think Bruce would like this one, just for the name alone.

dltang
12-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Check it out......:2thumbs:

http://www.imz-ural.com/downloads/movies/European_MotocrossW.wmv

or......

http://www.imz-ural.com/downloads/movies/UralSnowGames.wmv

Call me crazy but that looks like a heck of a lot of fun.:D

RAL
12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
The Red October is a sweet looking unit. I was thinking it would be pretty cool to own for street use( too pretty to beat up in the woods and it is one wheel drive) when I found the Spyders.
The Urals are not for eveyone, you will be happier if you don't mind twisting a wrench once in a while. 2005s are much better than the 04s and older and the 08s and newer are much better than the 05s. Most of what goes wrong can be fixed at home and the newer models are WAY more dependible than most people believe.
If you really are interested check out soviet steeds forum: http://sovietsteeds.com/
You will get a better idea of what to expect from the ol Russian girl.

RAL

Smylinacha
12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I want the Gear Up! HDX can ride that w/ me in the sidecar having a few brewskies :thumbup:

Smylinacha
12-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Deb, I think YOU'D look good on that - could be your other toy!

I think Bruce would like this one, just for the name alone.

dltang
12-29-2009, 08:40 PM

LOL, I think it would be such a blast. Imagine me barreling up the hill at Lamont's house with that. hmmm

dltang
12-29-2009, 09:34 PM

You can only go about 55mph to get there, though.......:D

Why do you want to burst my bubble..LOL

LDFIREWORKS
12-29-2009, 09:54 PM
:thumbup::2thumbs:

Neez
12-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Nancy wanted us to get one real bad. I talked her out of it, and eventually she got her Spyder instead. I am so glad! I am not too fond of the Ural. Probably due to my BMWs. The Ural is a copy that originated with the WWII era Beemers. I like vintage, but that may be taking things too far. Next thing you know they will be reproducing Orville & Wilbur Wright's airplane. :joke:Well now, I'm not so sure, Scotty. These days Urals come with Keihin carbs, Ducati electronic ignitions, Sachs suspension, Brembo brakes, Domino switchgear, Herzog precision- cut tranny gears and shafts and hardened valve seats. They now use readily available standard sized seals and bearings and the handlebar clamps are standard size now, too. My Spyder is better as far as the pavement goes, but as an old 4wd nut, I know lots of places it doesn't........

NancysToy
12-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Well now, I'm not so sure, Scotty. These days Urals come with Keihin carbs, Ducati electronic ignitions, Sachs suspension, Brembo brakes, Domino switchgear, Herzog precision- cut tranny gears and shafts and hardened valve seats. They now use readily available standard sized seals and bearings and the handlebar clamps are standard size now, too. My Spyder is better as far as the pavement goes, but as an old 4wd nut, I know lots of places it doesn't........
Oh, I'm not disputing that they are better machines than in WWII. A Sopwith Camel built today probably would be, too. The two-wheel drive has off-road advantages, too. It's just that after having several modern boxer engines, it just seems so ancient! Oops, I forgot that you guys say that about me, too. :D

RAL
12-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Oh, I'm not disputing that they are better machines than in WWII. A Sopwith Camel built today probably would be, too. The two-wheel drive has off-road advantages, too. It's just that after having several modern boxer engines, it just seems so ancient! Oops, I forgot that you guys say that about me, too. :D

Ancient...thats part of its charm. Like the Spyder it is not for everyone. With your interest in vintage bikes I am surprised you do not have one in your collection. Shame on you!!!;)

RAL

Lamonster
12-30-2009, 08:16 AM
:agree:
One of the reasons I really would like to have one is it looks so old but it's not. I think that's too cool. :doorag:

RAL
12-30-2009, 08:44 AM
One of the reasons I really would like to have one is it looks so old but it's not. I think that's too cool. :doorag:

One of the fun things about it is the look on peoples faces when you finally convince them that it is a new bike not the result of restoration project. The front disc and the modern carbs tip off the bike savey but even then many just think that they are part of the rebuild.
The Red October is a nice looking bike but it is a limited release model so carries a bit of a heavy price tag, over $14000! You might want to look at the Tourist, it comes in red and looks very simular and retails for about $11500. You might be able to find a low milage one in the $7000 to $8000 range. People sale them with hardly any miles on them if the sidecar scares them. I paid $7000 for my as new 2005 gear up with 5000 klicks on it. The 2008 and newer have better heads on them, not a deal killer if you find a nice 05-07 at a good price. The 07s also have Ducati EI but you can add that to an older bike for about $350.

RAL

Lamonster
12-30-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm seeing 12,999
http://www.imz-ural.com/redoctober/

Smylinacha
12-30-2009, 09:17 AM
I can definitely see you on one! I can definitely see myself in the side car, during a snow storm all bundled up with snoopy goggles on. That would be way cool!

LOL, I think it would be such a blast. Imagine me barreling up the hill at Lamont's house with that. hmmm

Smylinacha
12-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I'd be interested in a used one - like half the price! And I LOVE the Gear Up! I like the black ones too but black is a pain to keep clean. With the Gear Up you can get it filthy and leave it filthy cuz it looks cool filthy!

One of the fun things about it is the look on peoples faces when you finally convince them that it is a new bike not the result of restoration project. The front disc and the modern carbs tip off the bike savey but even then many just think that they are part of the rebuild.
The Red October is a nice looking bike but it is a limited release model so carries a bit of a heavy price tag, over $14000! You might want to look at the Tourist, it comes in red and looks very simular and retails for about $11500. You might be able to find a low milage one in the $7000 to $8000 range. People sale them with hardly any miles on them if the sidecar scares them. I paid $7000 for my as new 2005 gear up with 5000 klicks on it. The 2008 and newer have better heads on them, not a deal killer if you find a nice 05-07 at a good price. The 07s also have Ducati EI but you can add that to an older bike for about $350.

RAL

dltang
12-30-2009, 10:06 AM
I can definitely see you on one! I can definitely see myself in the side car, during a snow storm all bundled up with snoopy goggles on. That would be way cool!

We would be a great team, once we practiced up, we could enter one of those races....or better yet ride around Lamont's and end up on Funniest Home Video's.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-055.gif

retread
12-30-2009, 01:10 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to put a 1200 oilhead in one.:D

john

Smylinacha
12-30-2009, 04:14 PM
yeah but we gotta watch out for the ditch!

We would be a great team, once we practiced up, we could enter one of those races....or better yet ride around Lamont's and end up on Funniest Home Video's.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-055.gif

Roaddog2
12-30-2009, 04:35 PM
I can definitely see you on one! I can definitely see myself in the side car, during a snow storm all bundled up with snoopy goggles on. That would be way cool!NO COMMENT :roflblack:

RAL
12-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to put a 1200 oilhead in one.:D

john

Don't know about a 1200 but I believe that a few have been converted to late 70s early 80s R-80s with good results.

RAL

hut1
12-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Anyone interested in riding a hack should take the rider's class - I have, and for the roads I ride on, my Spyder is as close as I'll ever come to one. Among other things, I'm a licensed pilot, and "flying the car" is as inspiring as an pulling a stall and ending in a spin.... :chat:

I agree. The rider's class is a great idea. I wish I had done it when I got my rig six years ago. Although I've become comfortable with it w/out any major mishaps, learning may have been more fun with the proper training. I'm sure I've gotten used to many bad habits, but it's still a blast. I plan to acquire a spyder soon (I kinda like the stability of 3 wheels), but I'll be hangin' onto the hack as long as I still have a couple of kids at home.

Smylinacha
12-31-2009, 02:36 PM
NO COMMENT :roflblack:

Don't worry - we can take turns having HDX give us rides, ok?:thumbup:

Motza
01-01-2010, 09:50 PM
good post

John in PA
01-02-2010, 07:06 AM
Here's a warning for those seriously considering a sidecar rig: the Ural sidecars are very well made, but the motorcycles are quite "iffy" as far as the dependability department. If you want a hack, stick one on a Moto Guzzi or BMW. You really can't run a Ural at highway speeds, the 62 MPH ceiling is real. Russian metallurgy is a bit on the primitive side, and parts of the engine that should be heat-treated or made of proper alloy for the application AREN'T!

Here's a pic of my (recently sold) rig with enthusiastic passenger Ginger, one of our Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, aboard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jwellsgnr/ginger-rig2.jpg?t=1262433567

Dauntless Motors is THE authority on setting up a sidecar on almost any brand of motorcycle if you need professional assistance.
http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/

Hacks are fun to drive, but totally different in handling characteristics than either Spyder or motorcycles. Unless equipped with a leading-link front end, they also require some upper body strength to steer. Get some training and practice a bit before venturing out in traffic. Some ballast in the "chair" is absolutely necessary for noobies!!

SLO RYDER
01-02-2010, 11:23 AM

The Urals are fun around town but limited on long trips, although I know a friend that rode his from San Jose Ca to Death Valley. Thats a long trip at 60mph. I had a Velorex 562 sidecar set up on my BMW R100RT for a while but my French Bulldog did not like to ride like my previous Boxer.

Mike