PDA

View Full Version : Rode our new RT-S Home!

Dwight
12-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Well it finally happened!! I had to wait a bit for them to get everything done but about 3:30 I saddled up and headed for home. It's about 85 miles so not a very good first ride. It looks like I'll just have to admire it in the garage for the next several days, rain, freezing rain, sleet, ice pellets, and now snow.
I was really impressed with the ride. I had them set the front springs to the middle position and I adjusted the rear suspension to the center position. Very twitchy for me, probably because I've ridden conventional trikes for the last 6 years. They require steering input rangeing from mild (straight line or gentle curves) to heavy on the tight and twisty sections of the road. It seems to me if you just think about turning on this RT it happens!! I know I'll get used to this but slowing down for corners is something I don't do much! Some of the ride was in rain and heavy fog, the adjustable windshield in full up position worked wonders in the rain. I think I need to shorten the shield about an inch and then the range will be just right for me. It has very good protection from the elements. It wasn't a long enough ride to determine how the seating position will be, seems the handlebars are too close but some longer rides are needed to make a final decision. Also would like to be able to move around on the seat a little more, but again without longer rides I can't be sure. Lots of cool electronic goodies to mess with, I'll probably have to hire the grandkids to help me with that!! They've already promised to help me get the iPod loaded up - lucky they like old rock and roll and country!
I was surprised and happy with the power. I was riding solo and with no luggage so I don't know how it will be loaded up but 75 mph was easy and passing at that speed was effortless (actually it was fast!!). I rode through Lawrence KS (Kansas University) on the way home and probably grabbed the front brakes at least 3 times but they sure don't work very well.:opps: I guess it'll just take some time to get used to that!! Dealer didn't have any of the accessories available and said they had heard that the CB (intercom) wouldn't be in stock until March:dontknow:. I've decided that I'm gonna order the GPS in addition to the CB, plus the headsets. I'd already written the check for the RT. Then he said they would have to have the money before they could order the goodies. Guess what - the missus only gave me one check! So now I have to call them up, find out how much money it'll cost and mail them another check. Sometimes life is just hard.:clap: Anyway the ride home was terrific, even if it was rainy, foggy, and cold. I was looking for a sportier ride than I was getting from my conventional trikes, I'm pretty sure I found it. If the roads clear and it warms up to at least 35 degrees the 600 mile first service will happen pretty soon!

Dwight
2010 RT-S SE PE #0192

frank3
12-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Dwight, Very pleased to hear that you have the Rt in hand. To say that I envy you would be an understatement. My dealer has given me very little in response. Called them again yesterday AM and they wern't sure it was "at the warehouse" yet. Don't know what gives with this "warehouse" stuff. I think that they just didn't want to fool with it so close to X-mas. Seem funny because, last Friday, they called to say that they had the paperwork ready and were asking me to comedown to get all the paperwork finallized and give them a check. Told them I was busy (true) and would come down latter. Thought about it and call them back on Monday to say that I wouldn't be writing a chack till I actually saw the RT. ANYWAY, I'm really glad for you. Hope when spring comes, we can do some ridding together.:congrats:

glynnk
12-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Dwight--You're breaking my heart! Still waiting for mine.....is yours a PE edition?

Glynnk

babyanlee
12-24-2009, 04:27 PM
:congrats::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:We rode ours home Tuesday

SpyderWolf
12-24-2009, 04:31 PM
:congrats: Glad you made it home safely as well.

ameobe
12-24-2009, 04:34 PM
:congrats::congrats:

Dwight
12-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Yes, mine is PE #0192.

Frank
We'd be happy to do some riding with you, probably have my Gold Wing/Hannigan trike riding buddy along. He's from the Atchinson area.
If your dealer jacks you around, I think Reno's has one that isn't sold! Course your dealer probably wouldn't give you your deposit back. Be sure and let me know when you get yours, maybe if we get some decent weather I might ride up your way just to help get the first 600 miles on.

Dwight

Lamonster
12-24-2009, 04:43 PM
:congrats: Glad you got to ride it home even if it was bad weather. At some point you may want to crank the front shocks up a little harder, they will help with the twitching feeling.

frank3
12-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Everyone, a very merry christmas to all of you. Dwight, this is it for today, company on the way, but when I get time, I'll post a PM to you with my phone number.

Dwight
12-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey LaMonster,

What about tire pressure in front tires? Book says 15psi, seems a little soft to me. I haven't chedked it yet. Never thought about adjusting the shocks. I'll give that a try. Still probably just me not being used to it, maybe I should drag the Buell out and get used to a light touch on the bars again.:D

Dwight
RT-S SE PE #0192

NancysToy
12-24-2009, 09:45 PM
:D
Hey LaMonster,

What about tire pressure in front tires? Book says 15psi, seems a little soft to me. I haven't chedked it yet. Never thought about adjusting the shocks. I'll give that a try. Still probably just me not being used to it, maybe I should drag the Buell out and get used to a light touch on the bars again.:D

Dwight
RT-S SE PE #0192
I can't say with certainty about the RT yet, but adding some air to the front tires on the RS sure helps. Less twitchy and noticeably more stable in the turns. I run 20 in the RS, and most folks run 18-20. I'll be putting 20 in the RT-S right away, but won't get to ride it to try it for many weeks yet. I'm just hoping this freezing rain stops so I can get the trailer out to fetch it by Wednesday.

Lamonster
12-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Hey LaMonster,

Dwight
RT-S SE PE #0192
I've been running 20psi in the front of my RS since day one and the same goes with the RT. I think you'll like it better and my tires are wearing great.

Dwight
12-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Man, I love this forum! Thanks guys, I'll bump the psi up to 20 and give it a try. Have to wait a while, Christmas blizzard here.

Dwight

Wheeler~
12-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Well it finally happened!! I had to wait a bit for them to get everything done but about 3:30 I saddled up and headed for home. It's about 85 miles so not a very good first ride. It looks like I'll just have to admire it in the garage for the next several days, rain, freezing rain, sleet, ice pellets, and now snow.
I was really impressed with the ride. I had them set the front springs to the middle position and I adjusted the rear suspension to the center position. Very twitchy for me, probably because I've ridden conventional trikes for the last 6 years. They require steering input rangeing from mild (straight line or gentle curves) to heavy on the tight and twisty sections of the road. It seems to me if you just think about turning on this RT it happens!! I know I'll get used to this but slowing down for corners is something I don't do much! Some of the ride was in rain and heavy fog, the adjustable windshield in full up position worked wonders in the rain. I think I need to shorten the shield about an inch and then the range will be just right for me. It has very good protection from the elements. It wasn't a long enough ride to determine how the seating position will be, seems the handlebars are too close but some longer rides are needed to make a final decision. Also would like to be able to move around on the seat a little more, but again without longer rides I can't be sure. Lots of cool electronic goodies to mess with, I'll probably have to hire the grandkids to help me with that!! They've already promised to help me get the iPod loaded up - lucky they like old rock and roll and country!
I was surprised and happy with the power. I was riding solo and with no luggage so I don't know how it will be loaded up but 75 mph was easy and passing at that speed was effortless (actually it was fast!!). I rode through Lawrence KS (Kansas University) on the way home and probably grabbed the front brakes at least 3 times but they sure don't work very well.:opps: I guess it'll just take some time to get used to that!! Dealer didn't have any of the accessories available and said they had heard that the CB (intercom) wouldn't be in stock until March:dontknow:. I've decided that I'm gonna order the GPS in addition to the CB, plus the headsets. I'd already written the check for the RT. Then he said they would have to have the money before they could order the goodies. Guess what - the missus only gave me one check! So now I have to call them up, find out how much money it'll cost and mail them another check. Sometimes life is just hard.:clap: Anyway the ride home was terrific, even if it was rainy, foggy, and cold. I was looking for a sportier ride than I was getting from my conventional trikes, I'm pretty sure I found it. If the roads clear and it warms up to at least 35 degrees the 600 mile first service will happen pretty soon!

Dwight
2010 RT-S SE PE #0192

Congratulations! Now that there are people getting their bikes, I'm dying for mine to get here.

northramp
12-26-2009, 06:09 PM
:congrats::ohyea: