PDA

View Full Version : windshields

superfly5
12-24-2009, 12:41 PM
My wife bought a CHAD windshield off ebay from a shop in Canada. It came in and I had a heck of a time getting the bracket installed on the bike. I have heard of others having the same problem. I put the windshield on and noticed it did not line up with the front of the bike at all. I adjusted it to where it did line up and then got on the bike and saw one side was higher than the other. The distance from the shield to the mirrors was not even at all. I took it off and put it on my pool table and saw some serious warping issues and height issues from one side to the other. The company I bought it from had another one and they checked that one on a flat surface and it was not symetrical either.

This is poor manufacturing...I can understand one being warped and not even closed to being symetrical, but both?? Emmanuel from Industries 7 only wanted to tell me to deal with the people I bought it from....he did not even want to know what the problem was....I like the idea of an adjustable windshield, but Industries 7 was not even interested to know their product was bad....I told him I knew I had to go throught the people I bought it from for exchange and asked if he even wanted to know what the problem was, and he replied "no"....bad public relations....very bad....

Anybody have any suggestions for a different brand of windshield from someone who knows how to build a shield?

boborgera
12-24-2009, 03:44 PM
My wife bought a CHAD windshield off ebay from a shop in Canada. It came in and I had a heck of a time getting the bracket installed on the bike. I have heard of others having the same problem. I put the windshield on and noticed it did not line up with the front of the bike at all. I adjusted it to where it did line up and then got on the bike and saw one side was higher than the other. The distance from the shield to the mirrors was not even at all. I took it off and put it on my pool table and saw some serious warping issues and height issues from one side to the other. The company I bought it from had another one and they checked that one on a flat surface and it was not symetrical either.

This is poor manufacturing...I can understand one being warped and not even closed to being symetrical, but both?? Emmanuel from Industries 7 only wanted to tell me to deal with the people I bought it from....he did not even want to know what the problem was....I like the idea of an adjustable windshield, but Industries 7 was not even interested to know their product was bad....I told him I knew I had to go throught the people I bought it from for exchange and asked if he even wanted to know what the problem was, and he replied "no"....bad public relations....very bad....

Anybody have any suggestions for a different brand of windshield from someone who knows how to build a shield?

I have an evo 111 from f1 works very well for me.
I think you'll find out that you will buy at least 3 shields before you find one that's right for you. Did that with almost every bike I've owned.:gaah:

wyliec
12-24-2009, 04:05 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16058

There are a number of posts dealing with the bracket mentioned in the above post. Most are happy with it.

I also have a CHAD and it is not symmetrical; but, it's pretty close. Based on their response to you, that isn't a company that I would want to deal with.

mrb
12-24-2009, 04:34 PM
I had CHAD too and went to the Madstad Robobrackets system. Looks better (IMHO) , better quality, much cheaper and most importantly works soooo much better. :2thumbs:
See http://www.robobrackets.com (http://www.robobrackets.com/)
This system is almost infinitely variable - way more so than CHAD. About half the price of CHAD landed here (Australia)

http://spyderryders.net.au/picts/ms2.jpg

http://spyderryders.net.au/picts/Robo3.jpg

As Tom says on Spyderlovers forum - " I have not tweaked it yet, but there is no buffeting, wind howl/roar from my helmet is gone, air flow is pleasant, and 75 MPH feels and sounds like 35 or 40. I am amazed that such a "small" shield delivers such a good riding environment. I really needed a windshield solution, this is my fourth. I had high expectations for the RoboBrackets, high enough that I knew I could easily be disappointed. That did not happen - they have actually far exceeded what I had hoped for in performance and looks. This is really increasing my Smiles per Miles!"

BLACK WIDOW
12-24-2009, 07:46 PM

I have the CHAD and frankly I have no issues with it. I did round off the corners and it looks much better than the squared off look. I previously had the CAL-SCI XL and my passenger complained of the excessive buffeting and now she doesn't complain' so I like it.:shemademe_smilie:

Michael:doorag:

adohring
12-24-2009, 09:56 PM
I purchased a CHAD back in Sept and it was badly malformed. Industries 7 sent me a replacement and that shield was worse than the first, so warp I could not mount it.

At that point Industries 7 told me they had manufacturing issues and that all the shields they currently had were malformed and so they did not have another shield to send me.

I waited months for them to correct the problem and was told 2 weeks ago that they likely would do nothing until spring. They gave me a refund.

Unfortunately I was not happy with the Robo brackets shield because it offers no hand protection.

I contected Custom Dynamics and they were willing to inspect a CHAD from the stock they had before sending it out. It's not perfect but it is good enough. I would recommend working with them, wait till spring/summer for another CHAD or looking the Robo system.

At this point, I would caution everyone who is considering a CHAD, as I believe most all the current stock companies have will be malformed shields.

Good luck

Motza
12-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Try this for a solution,
Robo brackets and the new BRP Ultra touring wind shield... good combo. This gives you best of both worlds, adjustability, hand protection, and quality.

Even add Evans mirror extentions for improved rearview visibility :thumbup:

adohring
12-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Motza, that's actually what I was going to do but to get both it's a 400+ price tag and then you have to drill new holes in the BRP shield to fit it on the robo brackets. Worse still, you now have the original mounting holes along the edge of the shield making it look horrible.

Just wasn't a workable option in my opinion.

Good thought though and I am sure it will work for some.

superfly5
12-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Wow.....Adohring, hearing that they had a manufacturing problem really explains things. If that moron at Industries 7 would have told me that they had a bad batch and were working on fixing it, I would be cool with it....
I like the ultra touring from BRP, but also want the up and out mirror extensions...can't have both due to fit.
Evo III slide is starting to look good and they said they can cut it to for a better fit with the newer mirror extensions...

Desert Spyder
12-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Well this limits the playing field by one doesn't it?

I've always leaned towards F-1 but a friend of mine had one and his collapsed in the sun. Has anybody else had bad manufacturing experience with Marcel's windshields?

I honestly think he has put a lot of thought behind his windshields for the Spyder. And the fairing looks interesting although I haven't seen one mention about it on the forum. That rear RT set-up looks stupid however IMHO.

I'm 6-1 with a 30" inseam. Would the stock Robo Brkt and shield work good?

Hamie
12-25-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm 6-1 with a 30" inseam. Would the stock Robo Brkt and shield work good?

I hope so...got this on the way...

WackyDan
12-25-2009, 12:11 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16058

There are a number of posts dealing with the bracket mentioned in the above post. Most are happy with it.

I also have a CHAD and it is not symmetrical; but, it's pretty close. Based on their response to you, that isn't a company that I would want to deal with.

Same here. Off just a hair and part of that might have been due to my install. Otherwise, you can't really beat the CHAD's bracket for mounting stuff on. I'm got two ram balls mounted and they don't hardly impact the adjustment range at all.

Hamie
01-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I got my Robo Brackets and their 22" shield... at lot of adjustability..but for the life of me I haven't been able to find a spot with no head buffeting.. even drilled holes in a Rifle +5+4 windshield that I had on my FJR.. it's about 4" wider and about 2 and half inches higher than the 22" and as yet have still been unable to stop the head buffering. About wore out the hardware trying to get it adjusted..:dontknow:

irish2themax
01-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm going to purchase the 22" Smoke Robo Bracket but I have to wait until summer since my inspection sticker is on the existing windshield

Desert Spyder
01-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I got my Robo Brackets and their 22" shield... at lot of adjustability..but for the life of me I haven't been able to find a spot with no head buffeting.. even drilled holes in a Rifle +5+4 windshield that I had on my FJR.. it's about 4" wider and about 2 and half inches higher than the 22" and as yet have still been unable to stop the head buffering. About wore out the hardware trying to get it adjusted..:dontknow:

Might I ask your height and inseam please?

Hamie
01-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Might I ask your height and inseam please?

I'm 5' 11" with 30" inseam... I have put on 4" risers but was having the buffeting before that with the 22" shield..

Firefly
01-04-2010, 02:20 AM
Sorry to hear that Ind7 is having problems with quality. Mine has been a great product from day one.

Those looking at the F1 shields- they are NOT made of DOT approved materials and will shatter upon impact as shown in photos posted awhile ago out here of a spyder crash.

The Madstad might be the leader right now - but as I understand they are much more difficult to adjust.

BLACK WIDOW
01-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Sorry to hear that Ind7 is having problems with quality. Mine has been a great product from day one.

Those looking at the F1 shields- they are NOT made of DOT approved materials and will shatter upon impact as shown in photos posted awhile ago out here of a spyder crash.

The Madstad might be the leader right now - but as I understand they are much more difficult to adjust.

It appears that the Quality issues with the CHAD is something that has recently occurred. The one I bought fit perfectly and has been a very good product for me. Much better protection than the CALSCI XL I had before. I did round off the corners to make it look better to me.

Michael:doorag:

Dragonrider
01-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm 6'4" and have the Madstad 22" shield - it works better for me than the 31" F-1 I had before

Sarge707
01-04-2010, 01:12 PM
I found the CalSci Large to be very nice with little wind turbulance up to 75 MPH. With my helmet shield slightly above eye level it was also pretty quiet! Close the Helmet shield and the Scorpion 400 wants ear plugs at higher speeds as do most I presume?
I Love the CalSci Quality and LOOKS!!:2thumbs:

ISCI Billy
01-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I sent you a pm.