PDA

View Full Version : 1st Ride needed for Motorcycle Road Test

TreeHillSpyder
12-23-2009, 01:45 AM
Hello everyone,

My name is Brian and I have been looking into a Spyder as the first motorcycle or roadster that I ride and purchase. I am a wheelchair user and am having difficulty finding something to use to learn on without breaking the bank. I would like to purchase a Spyder but am not sure if it's a smart investment for a 1st ride to do so yet.

I'm in Graduate School in North Carolina and have connections in Virginia as well. I've looked around at Spyders in the area and back near school and haven't been able to find anyone nearby that has one already equipped with a handbrake to try out prior to purchasing my own.

Second, it seems like the dealers in the area are super-cautious about letting someone without a full license even turn the bike on. This doesn't make it easy for someone like me to learn how to ride.

Finding it a little daunting to throw down this much money for a ride when I've not been able to try one out fully equipped, so i'm entertaining just trying to find a trike that costs less to learn on and take the M Test.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on what I should do?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian R.
Wilmington, NC

docdoru
12-23-2009, 05:57 AM
welcome http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Roaddog2
12-23-2009, 12:05 PM
welcome

obiwanbill
12-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Brian and I have been looking into a Spyder as the first motorcycle or roadster that I ride and purchase. I am a wheelchair user and am having difficulty finding something to use to learn on without breaking the bank. I would like to purchase a Spyder but am not sure if it's a smart investment for a 1st ride to do so yet.

I'm in Graduate School in North Carolina and have connections in Virginia as well. I've looked around at Spyders in the area and back near school and haven't been able to find anyone nearby that has one already equipped with a handbrake to try out prior to purchasing my own.

Second, it seems like the dealers in the area are super-cautious about letting someone without a full license even turn the bike on. This doesn't make it easy for someone like me to learn how to ride.

Finding it a little daunting to throw down this much money for a ride when I've not been able to try one out fully equipped, so I'm entertaining just trying to find a trike that costs less to learn on and take the M Test.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian R.
Wilmington, NC
I understand your problem as I am a right leg amputee with 28 years of riding Honda 2 wheelers before I lost the leg. I talked to a lot of folks, read all I could find about Spyders before buying one. Using a clutch handle and cable from Yamaha (it was the right size) I ran the cable down and fastened it to the brake pedal. I read of other ways to attach extra hydraulic brake lines, but after buying the Spyder, I was out of big bucks to to that...so I kept it simple with just a mechanical adaption. I saw a rear hitch made in nearby Roseville Michigan by MMG(on Ebay also). Some folks don't like them as they are bolted to the swingarm instead of elsewhere. Seems Can-Am liked it enough to copy it for the RT version (heh heh). Had Jimmy Mels of MMG weld a "Tilt and Tote" (off internet) wheelchair rack to the side of the bike hitch. Now I drive the Spyder everywhere.

I had to take a leap of faith that all these modifications would work. Or else I'm too bullheaded to not let the dream of riding again go by. The differences in driving the Spyder as opposed to a 2 wheeler took a few days to get use to, but they are not earth shattering. Saw another guy driving one here in Toledo with crutches bungee corded to the back.

As a "cripple", riding gives me back my freedom. I encourage you to move forward on this. Good luck:2thumbs::ohyea:

RoadHammer
12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Well, you wont be able to learn on one with out brakes and the dealer in no way shape or form will ever put brakes on one for you.

So i suggest you find a friend that has an automatic atv, throw your butt on there and drive the heck out of it. If you can drive that you can drive an SE5 no questions about it.

than buy an SE5 get some handbrakes on it and go for your bike license.

8LEGS
12-31-2009, 06:58 PM
welcome

LDFIREWORKS
12-31-2009, 09:53 PM
welcome :2thumbs:

TreeHillSpyder
01-03-2010, 11:50 PM
I've thought about doing the ATV thing and have looked into purchasing one, but then I have a problem when it comes to transporting one from where i live to where I can use the ATV.

I'm working out the details to see if I can purchase an SE5. Not sure yet. I am also looking into motorcycle insurance, and it seems very costly. I've gotten a quote from Progressive that was more expensive than my car by about $500 a year.

Lots to think about.

Brian

RoadHammer
01-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Brian,

have you ever ridden a snowmobile or atv?

TreeHillSpyder
01-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Brian,

have you ever ridden a snowmobile or atv?

I have not ridden an atv or snowmobile before. I have ridden a few spyders in large parking lots and believe I can handle them with adequate adaption, handbrake, wheelchair rack, etc.

Transporting an atv is not possible at this point based on the car I drive. I live near the beach and could use an atv, but not on the streets.

It's only a matter of time, I have my eye on a red spyder here in town and am very close to just getting it done.

Blackwidow74
01-07-2010, 08:33 PM
I have seen it done by a guy who had no use of his legs. The first time I met him, I was very impressed on how he got on and off the bike and strapped his wheel chair down on the back seat. I think he has a suicide shifter on his spyder,a hand brake, and a seat belt kind of strap of some sort to keep him upright. I have done some group rides with him and he rides great. He kept up with us when we were speeding along the mountains in San Diego, a lot of us were shocked.
Good Luck

HotWheels
01-22-2010, 12:30 AM
welcome

Look Brian. Here is the bottom line. You have to want to ride you have to have a passion to ride and you have to have the desire to ride. And all else will be a struggle and meaningless. I mean if you are worried about the bike breaking the bank and the issuance killing your pocket. Then you really won’t get to enjoy the ridding stressing on that. Don’t do it. But you will lose out the enjoyment, the freedom and liberation that ridding gives you. You see I knew that since young I have always wanted to ride being in a wheelchair all my life that my passion was always there. So from jumping Big Wheels, Skate Boards and automatic ATV’s to this remarkable machine that changed my life. I knew that everything else had to be irrelevant. So look at yourself in the mirror and say to your self “do I want to be have the could of, would of, should of in my head” or do I want to ride the open road. I say hell ya and go for it you will never ever regret it trust me I don’t. Even though I rarely get to ride because of the weather here, when I do I make it worth it every moment of my life. :2thumbs:

Ravi4l
01-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Hey Brain as far insurance goes I have progressive just liability i pay $112 a year it well go lower every year as I pay $75 for 08 Kawasaki c14 So don’t worry about insurance to much.
Good luck
Ravi

Amanda B
01-22-2010, 05:32 PM
I couldn't ride one before I bought one either, because I didn't have a motorcycle license and since I never planned to ride a two wheeled bike, I figured trying to learn on a two wheeled bike was a waste of my time, not to mention I'm not comfortable with two wheels at all. So, I had to buy it and pray that I could do it and that I liked it. Sometimes, despite what people say, you must leap before you look, and hope it all works out. In my case it worked out...hope it works out for you too!

TreeHillSpyder
01-23-2010, 01:34 AM
Hey Everyone!

Thanks for the great feedback!

I'm getting close. I've worked a deal out where I might be able to buy soon. I'm looking at a New Red 2009 SE5 and would be getting a handbrake from ISCI and a wheelchair rack from Rackiton.com, along with a riser block from BRP to raise the bars a little.

I've been working today to get some quotes on Insurance from Allstate, State Farm, and Progressive. I will be purchasing more insurance than just liability, because I believe piece of mind is important. I'm hoping to get that part figured out my Monday and then be able to take the next steps.

I just rented a garage from my apt. complex yesterday, so I know it's just right around the corner now! :clap::2excited::yes:

Brian
Wilmington, NC

retread
01-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Be sure to tell the insurance people the Spyder is a Sport-tourer, it has luggage standard so it qualifies. Otherwise they try to put it through as a crotch rocket with high rates.

john

Lamonster
01-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Hey Everyone!

I'm getting close. I've worked a deal out where I might be able to buy soon. I'm looking at a New Red 2009 SE5 and would be getting a handbrake from ISCI and a wheelchair rack from Rackiton.com, along with a riser block from BRP to raise the bars a little.

I've been working today to get some quotes on Insurance from Allstate, State Farm, and Progressive. I will be purchasing more insurance than just liability, because I believe piece of mind is important. I'm hoping to get that part figured out my Monday and then be able to take the next steps.

I just rented a garage from my apt. complex yesterday, so I know it's just right around the corner now! :clap::2excited::yes:

Brian
Wilmington, NC:congrats:andwelcome

NancysToy
01-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Hey Everyone!

Brian
Wilmington, NC
:congrats: You might want to consider the ESI risers instead. More work to install, but they are taller than the BRP riser, and are somewhat adjustable, to boot. They really help reduce steering effort and increase control, since your outside arm is no longer full extended in a turn, and you can use both arms for control and leverage. We started with a BRP riser, but later had to add the ESI risers.

Motorcycle Mama & Papa
01-23-2010, 11:40 AM
welcome Brian

Just want to tell you that you might check with your DMV to see if a motorcycle license is required for the Spyder. In Cali, three wheelers do not require the M1 license. And, it would add to your learning experience to take the training.

As far as the insurance, I'm a senior (with a young heart) first-time rider riding about seven months now, and my insurance package is around $600 a year. I also was told it would go down as well. Let me tell you, it's been totally worth it.

I work with special needs adults, and I praise those who have the guts and glory to push their limits. Press on, Brian. MM

Hello everyone,

Finding it a little daunting to throw down this much money for a ride when I've not been able to try one out fully equipped, so i'm entertaining just trying to find a trike that costs less to learn on and take the M Test.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian R.
Wilmington, NC

jlb
01-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Be sure to tell the insurance people the Spyder is a Sport-tourer, it has luggage standard so it qualifies. Otherwise they try to put it through as a crotch rocket with high rates.

I didn't know this. Now I need to go check my policy. Thanks!

TreeHillSpyder
01-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey Everyone!

I finally made it happen! Went and bought a new red 2009 SE5 today. Unfortunately, it's raining and about 32 degrees here today in Wilmington, NC so I won't be able to get it home today. Looks like sometime next week!

Thanks for all the great advice! Billy really produced a nice product for me in the Handbrake, and now I'm just working on getting the Rigid Wheelchair Rack next. Not sure when that part will be straight. :dontknow:

Can't want to tackle the roads!:2thumbs:

Brian
Wilmington, NC

BumbleBee
01-30-2010, 04:32 PM
:congrats: Enjoy your new ryde and ryde safe :2thumbs:

Sarge707
01-30-2010, 05:32 PM
:congrats::2thumbs: Now the Fun starts. :clap:

musicarcade
01-30-2010, 06:01 PM
welcome:congrats:on your new:spyder2:!
:2thumbs::yes::yes::yes:

NancysToy
01-30-2010, 06:17 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Motorcycle Mama & Papa
01-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Hey Everyone!

I finally made it happen! Went and bought a new red 2009 SE5 today. Unfortunately, it's raining and about 32 degrees here today in Wilmington, NC so I won't be able to get it home today. Looks like sometime next week!

Thanks for all the great advice! Billy really produced a nice product for me in the Handbrake, and now I'm just working on getting the Rigid Wheelchair Rack next. Not sure when that part will be straight. :dontknow:

Can't want to tackle the roads!:2thumbs:

Brian
Wilmington, NC

:yes: ENJOY!!!!

TreeHillSpyder
02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
:ohyea:

Hey Everyone!

Well, today is a good day! Got everything ordered for my new ride!

-Received ISCI HandBrake (http://www.industrialspecialty.com/ISCI%20-%20Spyder%20Parts.htm) on Friday. Thanks Billy Jones!
-Purchased Red SE5 on Saturday from Wilmington PowerSports (http://www.wilmingtonpowersports.com), Thanks, Andy!
-Ordered Disabled License Plates from North Carolina Today
-Ordered http://www.rackiton.com 's wheelchair rack Today, Thanks David!

I'd say I'll be riding in two weeks or so! :thumbup::yes::yes::yes::2excited:

Brian
Wilmington, NC

truck 85
02-04-2010, 09:18 AM
welcome enjoy the ryde and be safe

Tom in NM
02-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Brian
Wilmington, NC

. . . . how is it going Brian? And remember, we all like to see pictures!

Tom

SpyderByter
02-14-2010, 10:16 AM

Hey Everyone!

Well, today is a good day! Got everything ordered for my new ride!

Brian
Wilmington, NC

Great to hear!! You will love it

slather1
02-14-2010, 11:57 AM
welcome Have fun and ride safely.