PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times Have you Broken down on your Spyder

groundeffect
12-22-2009, 07:15 PM
No matter which model you have, or how long you have had or how much you enjoy your Spyder; How many times since you have owned it Spyder has it broken down requiring a tow truck or a reboot on the roadside?

ntxYguy2009
12-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Zero times with 12,000 miles.

jrbloise
12-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Never, with 11,300 miles on my SE-5.

groundeffect
12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. Don't forget to vote on the poll.

Cheers and ride safe!

NEWARKSPYDER
12-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Never in 8,000 miles!:ohyea:

Dudley
12-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Over 31,000 miles on our 2008 SE5 and always humming! We have not installed anything affecting electronics or mechanics.

opticat
12-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Never on my SM-5, but constantly on my SE-5--- lots of stopping to allow it to reset--too many times to count in 3K miles. Six weeks in the shop to no avail.

BajaRon
12-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Does this include when your best buddy "borrows" parts? :yikes:

Otherwise, Zero for 15,000 miles. :D

boborgera
12-22-2009, 08:29 PM
No matter which model you have, or how long you have had or how much you enjoy your Spyder; How many times since you have owned it Spyder has it broken down requiring a tow truck or a reboot on the roadside?

Sounds a little like a J D Power questionnaire. :spyder:

groundeffect
12-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Six weeks in the shop to no avail.

HOLY *****! That is LONG time without your vehicle

2spyders
12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Sounds a little like a J D Power questionnaire. :spyder:

Not even close. I just got one of those for my Acura - it was 8 pages! :gaah: They need to send me a lot more than a dollar if they want me to fill that out.

Back on topic - Never had a break down on my Spyder.:ohyea:

Motza
12-22-2009, 10:24 PM
relax...:popcorn:

retread
12-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Over 14000 miles, only stops when I want it to.

john

BajaRon
12-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Over 14000 miles, only stops when I want it to.

john

Now that is a very good thing!

dave01
12-23-2009, 03:05 AM
No real breakdowns, just a few hiccups along the way. Had my 91 Mustang GT towed 7 times in the first 3 months of ownership when it was new, so I think overall the Spyder has done good.

NancysToy
12-23-2009, 07:46 AM
I have been Found On Road Dead several times with my hotrod 53 F-100, a couple of times with my wife's 63 Falcon ragtop, uncountable times with my old Triumphs, and even a few with my Hondas. Never with my BMWs, but I have repaired a few tires at roadside. The Spyder has never let us down in any way. It just has to stop at a lot more gas stations than my Beemer.

Roaddog2
12-23-2009, 11:41 AM
20k 2 tows:ani29: several times road back to dealer with issues.
1 first tow blown out valve cover gasket several qt dump.
2 tow coolant rez (bottle) rupture not leak.
just few weeks ago coolant rez #2 this time just a crack able to ride it in but if on the road would have been stranded for days about a week to get new rez in :ani29:Thinking of keeping a spare rez in trailer for long trips :thumbup:

Dudley
12-23-2009, 12:19 PM
20k 2 tows:ani29: several times road back to dealer with issues.
1 first tow blown out valve cover gasket several qt dump.
2 tow coolant rez (bottle) rupture not leak.
just few weeks ago coolant rez #2 this time just a crack able to ride it in but if on the road would have been stranded for days about a week to get new rez in :ani29:Thinking of keeping a spare rez in trailer for long trips :thumbup:

Where was the crack? Was it the same place mine was?

Spanky
12-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I have been towed once. Bad relay.

I have been brokedown a total of 5 times because of faulty relays. I have since fixed that issue.

I got tired of buying and replacing relays so I upgraded 2 of the relays from the 20 amp relay to a 30 Amp weatherproof relay. It doesn't fit in the fuse box so I had had to make an adapter cable, notch the fuse box cover and attach the new relays outside of the fuse box.

No more relay problems.:ohyea::2thumbs:

rattdaddy@netzero.
12-23-2009, 12:58 PM
11,587miles no problems lovin every mile:yes::yes::yes::ohyea::clap::firstplace::2thum bs:

Yazz
12-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Was at a rally, doing a parade route thang when Spydee overheated. It took a while to get out of all the slow traffic. Had to keep stopping to let her cool down.

People kept coming up and asking if the tryke was liquid cooled. 'Yuppers':opps:

Worst part about it was I left my smokes back at the trailer...

Took Sypdee back to the dealer for her 500 miles oil change and told him about the overheating issue. Turns out the radiator fluid was low. Seems the manufacturer forgot to "burp" the fluid.

Sarge707
12-23-2009, 01:54 PM
I have been towed once. Bad relay.

I have been brokedown a total of 5 times because of faulty relays. I have since fixed that issue.

I got tired of buying and replacing relays so I upgraded 2 of the relays from the 20 amp relay to a 30 Amp weatherproof relay. It doesn't fit in the fuse box so I had had to make an adapter cable, notch the fuse box cover and attach the new relays outside of the fuse box.

No more relay problems.:ohyea::2thumbs:
Is the relay in the fuse box and can you buy one to keep with you in case one goes so you don,t get stuck?? Cost of extra relay? Thanks!

SpyderGirl
12-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I had to tow myself home once - but it was my fault (ran down the battery with my stereo). We got a ride back home to get our car and the trailer to bring her home. We have 23,600 miles.

SpyderWolf
12-23-2009, 07:55 PM
No tows or roadside reboots with over 5,400 miles on mine. :D

barb36jack31
12-23-2009, 09:50 PM
7000 miles and did not have any total failure requiring roadside towing ets. Sold my Spyder because I had lost confidence in the machine. No fun riding along waiting for something to go wrong. Guess I have been riding Honda/BMW too long to accept this sort of problem.

Jack H.

docdoru
12-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Never in 62,000 miles, despite the overheating on I-40 (outside temperature 123 F, returning from California with Repops and Effgjamis), limp modes (LED's combination with McCruise) and check engine light with "E" code (GPS). :D

M2Wild
12-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Is the relay in the fuse box and can you buy one to keep with you in case one goes so you don,t get stuck?? Cost of extra relay? Thanks!
A lot of us carry spare relays along with fuses and other emergency accessories. Do a search, there are several threads and pics and locations to get them.

docdoru
12-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Big 710000740 (BRP)
Small 278002168 (BRP)

Roaddog2
12-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Where was the crack? Was it the same place mine was?Second one was same place as yours.1st was a blowout/break severing return hose from tank :yikes:

pitmon
12-24-2009, 03:42 PM
The only time mine has ever given me problems was when the steering issue occurred. Other than that I am totally happy with my spyder. :ohyea:

groundeffect
12-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Thank you, everyone.

As per the poll as of today, Dec. 28th / 2009:

======> 84.40% have selected:
"NEVER had my Spyder broken needing a tow truck roadside reboot"

To me, this is pretty good and strengthened my case for purchasing a Can-Am Spyder.

thank you for contributing, everyone. Those who have not yet voted on this poll, please feel free to do so.

thank you.
Ride Safe.

aubierules
12-28-2009, 04:59 PM
had shifting problems at least 4-5 times...back and forth to the dealer....towed once.....im scared to say, but after 1500 or so miles from the last breakdown i havent had a problem, and if i do im huntin ya down for making me jinx myself!:yikes::D

Sarge707
12-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Since Oct 7th, 09 1750 miles. ALL Smiles!!:D

jabba11
12-28-2009, 08:08 PM
5000 miles no significant problems

dltang
12-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Never stranded or broke down where I needed roadside assistance or a tow. Been to Quebec, TN twice and CA without a break down or tow. But I noticed a few hiccups here and there and took the spyder in myself and it was always fixed right away and correctly and under warranty.

The big problem is my engine right now, getting put back together after complete tear down, been at shop 3 months.

Just a note, those of you that ride your spyder a lot, you know how it sounds and feels and how it is supposed to sound and feel. If you think something is amiss, please take it in. I could have sworn there was a strange feel and noise to my spyder when I was at Lamont's BBQ in Sept. Lamont got on it and just couldn't hear anything or feel anything odd. Even on my way home something just wasn't right. It was just two days after I was home that I took my spyder in and sure enough the found all kinds of trouble. I talked to Lamont and he agreed, pay attention to your bike, you are the one that "knows" it even if you don't know anything about engines.

Roaddog2
12-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Never stranded or broke down where I needed roadside assistance or a tow. Been to Quebec, TN twice and CA without a break down or tow. But I noticed a few hiccups here and there and took the spyder in myself and it was always fixed right away and correctly and under warranty.

The big problem is my engine right now, getting put back together after complete tear down, been at shop 3 months.

Just a note, those of you that ride your spyder a lot, you know how it sounds and feels and how it is supposed to sound and feel. If you think something is amiss, please take it in. I could have sworn there was a strange feel and noise to my spyder when I was at Lamont's BBQ in Sept. Lamont got on it and just couldn't hear anything or feel anything odd. Even on my way home something just wasn't right. It was just two days after I was home that I took my spyder in and sure enough the found all kinds of trouble. I talked to Lamont and he agreed, pay attention to your bike, you are the one that "knows" it even if you don't know anything about engines.:agree:Big time :spyder2:

krb1945
12-29-2009, 05:36 PM
went into limp mode one time... it cleared itself :thumbup:after a half mile. When I got home 30 minutes later I checked relays and found one was a little loose.

scdtrd
12-30-2009, 12:38 AM
7000 miles and did not have any total failure requiring roadside towing ets. Sold my Spyder because I had lost confidence in the machine. No fun riding along waiting for something to go wrong. Guess I have been riding Honda/BMW too long to accept this sort of problem.

Jack H.

Ditto!!! What he said! :gaah: The CONCEPT is awesome.... but the execution is flawed. I had so much hope for the Spyder. In 7 years it will be where it needs to be, in the mean time, I will get back on my Honda NT700V. It has a V Twin so smooth it can teach a cat a thing or two about purring, and at 55mpg.. yes.

obiwanbill
12-30-2009, 11:30 AM
during first 5k miles:
1. Stuck in 1st gear x 4, would not release back to neutral by hitting the brake...Shift sensor replaced, then no problems.
2. Coil burned up, replaced...no start, had to be towed.
3. One of the cells in battery shot, no start, had to be towed

All the above covered by warranty, free tows by AAA RV Plus:thumbup:

waiting inordinate amounts of time for CAN-AM Parts kept the bike off road for 3 weeks during primo riding weather...Service Dept was not the problem

billclemen
12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
4-5 times. Once, as I pulled into my driveway. 2 flatbed trips to the dealer. Relays are the problem. I now carry 2 spare relays with me but am afraid to leave on a long trip. Suggestions appreciated.

BajaRon
12-31-2009, 03:21 PM
4-5 times. Once, as I pulled into my driveway. 2 flatbed trips to the dealer. Relays are the problem. I now carry 2 spare relays with me but am afraid to leave on a long trip. Suggestions appreciated.

There must be something more to it than just the relays.

I've got 15k on my Spyder, a trip from East Tennesse to Valcort, Canada, to Daytona Beach, Florida, to Kansas City, and to California and back with the original relays and zero problems.

Arachnid
12-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Never!

Mike

PCBeachBum
01-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Never!

Steering locked up but, was able to free it and get it home. Dealer picked it up the following week. They didn't want me to ride it over.

capt.jim
01-01-2010, 10:11 PM
13,750 miles, never been back to the dealer except for oil filters, steering locked once at 10,000 miles, retightened the ground under the seat and haven't had a problem since. Just passed 2 years and bought the 4 year extended warranty for $813, front to back, no deductible. Neither update has been done, runs too good, scared to. Never been one to buy extended warranties on anything, but there are too many sensors and electronics, not to mention an output shaft bearing or other major catastrophe.

Tom in NM
01-02-2010, 01:54 PM
. . . . . NEVER, unless you count the hundreds of times that I just had to breakdown and laugh with glee.

Tom

Spanky
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Flatbed to a different dealer......:D Seems like this one is missing something....

I had the same issue, multiple relay failures until I modified the fuse box and mounted higher power relays next to the fuse box for 2 of problem relays.

No more problems. They are weatherproof relays and connectors.

:2thumbs:

louisbasle
01-05-2010, 07:52 AM
No tows or roadside reboots with over 5,400 miles on mine. :D

being new here what to you mean by roadside reboot?????

groundeffect
01-05-2010, 08:02 AM
being new here what to you mean by roadside reboot?????

A roadside reboot is basically a situation where you have to pull your Spyder over to the side of the road, turn it off, let it sit for 5mins or more, until the system (computers and it's electric brain), clears itself of issues, to then hopefully allow you to continue riding to where ever.....

Hope that helps.
And Welcome.

Roaddog2
01-05-2010, 04:06 PM
This is a great Poll the only problem:ani29:
I see with it once you said it has never been towed and then it happens to you can't change it :popcorn:

Dwight
02-19-2010, 03:13 PM
OK, haven't broken down where I needed a tow truck, roadside reboot didn't do any good. But I still was able to ride it home, even though it was speed limited to 50mph. So ---none of the poll answers fits. BTW it's a new RT-S with about 760 miles on it.

Dwight

jeuchler
02-19-2010, 05:13 PM
...How many times since you have owned it Spyder has it broken down requiring a tow truck or a reboot on the roadside?

Sorry, I just can't respond to this question because I know that will jinx it and---oh, crap...

Questions
02-20-2010, 09:15 AM
this is a good thread.....sounds like most of the problems were computer of fuse related....outside of one tear down, I havent read any posts on the motor or drivetrain...alot of DPS mainly...alot like Toyota