PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tidbit

NancysToy
12-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Saw my Certificate of Origin yesterday at the dealer. While the Spyder RT specifications state that it is 100 horsepower, the Certificate of Origin says 95.0. So if some guy in a suit and sunglasses, with an earphone comes up to us and asks, "How many horsepower does that thing have," maybe we had better answer 95. :joke:

jima1153
12-22-2009, 02:06 PM
95 it is Scotty.:roflblack:

ataDude
12-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Saw my Certificate of Origin yesterday at the dealer. While the Spyder RT specifications state that it is 100 horsepower, the Certificate of Origin says 95.0. So if some guy in a suit and sunglasses, with an earphone comes up to us and asks, "How many horsepower does that thing have," maybe we had better answer 95. :joke:

I'd refuse delivery and get my money back... if I were you, Scotty. :D

woodz428
12-22-2009, 03:23 PM
WHAT kind of HP is it. There are about 4 different international ways of HP rating. If it is Canadian, it is likely different than U.S. rating system and could account for the 5hp difference. I'll post later, from one of the Jap shop manuals ,a couple different ones so you can see how much they vary depending on how the HP is tested. It was pretty common for the Jap mauals to have more than one rating listed because they were often sold in a variety of countries with different rating systems.
I don't know if the Canadian standard is different, but I know the European standard is. Rotax used to be built in Europe, not sure now since BRP purchased them, but I'd be surprised if they moved it.

ataDude
12-22-2009, 03:48 PM
...Rotax used to be built in Europe, not sure now since BRP purchased them, but I'd be surprised if they moved it.

Still in Austria.

ameobe
12-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Maybe it saves on the border crossing?
:dontknow::joke:

M2Wild
12-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Maybe it saves on the border crossing?
:dontknow::joke:
Could save on insurance too. I know 990cc cost less to insure than the 1000cc mile stone. Same thing with jet skiies .... instead of using the official measurment on the documentation (which include the jet nozzle) I asked the DMV pepole and they said to measure from bow to stern. I was 1.5 inches shorter than the documentation and 0.5 inches under the next boat class .... which saves me almost $100 per year.

michaels cycle
12-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Same thing with jet skiies .... instead of using the official measurment on the documentation (which include the jet nozzle) I asked the DMV pepole and they said to measure from bow to stern. I was 1.5 inches shorter than the documentation and 0.5 inches under the next boat class .... which saves me almost $100 per year.

On the subject of marine HP. If a boat is rated at say 150 hp, and your main power is 150 hp and you use a smaller 10 hp trowler your over rated and breaking the law, not to mention your insurance.

woodz428
12-23-2009, 11:05 PM
On the subject of marine HP. If a boat is rated at say 150 hp, and your main power is 150 hp and you use a smaller 10 hp trowler your over rated and breaking the law, not to mention your insurance.
Sounds like some personal experience...maybe even a little expensive one too.

Jester
12-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Legally, your horsepower is what is stated on the manufacturer's certificate of origin. It may have different advertised specs, but the statement of origin is what the mfr says it was built with!
Cappy :joke:

Cliff-Co.
12-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey Scotty, how's ya new knee a doing ??? , & I also got a full total hip replaced, early Dec., do ya know how soon, a guy can get a-straddle of a Spyder ??, & then a 2-wheeler ???