PDA

View Full Version : No previous motorcycle experience.....

TicketBait
12-21-2009, 06:42 PM
...first post, I took a demo ride on the spyder rs se5 and RTs SE5 at the IMS in Long beach CA. I put a deposit down 10 days later on an RTS PE. They said Car license sufficient. However if I travel (eventually to another state) do I need Motorcycle license?

There is also offered motor cycle driving courses for $250 (3 days, 10 in saddle "their bike" 5 in classroom) and then you don't have to take skills course at DMV. is this a good idea to do.?

does AAA insurance want me to have a motorcycle license. They could not quote me a rate yet for the spyder :dontknow:

any how I am so excited and have much to learn.

dvmdf
12-21-2009, 07:27 PM
I've had the SE 5 since 07/08, no previous motorcycle experience. Took the motorcycle safety class for my own knowledge/safety but never went to DMV to get the license. the class is worth it; it gives you basic info on handling a motorcycle and safety moves. I don't think you need a motorcycl license in other states if you are gonna have CA licence plate. The Spyder takes a little getting used to. SE5 does not shift like a car, but it becomes second nature very quickly. It's a blast. i am in South bay and I ride sometimes the Lincoln up to Santa Monica and then PCH up north. Let me know when you get yours so mabe we can ride together.:2thumbs:

j45p3r
12-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Other states will honor the licensing requirements of your home state. So you don't need to get a motorcycle license. I'd still recommend the safety course, I didn't have any motorcycle experience and I learned quite a few good tips in motorcycle ed (I needed to get a license in my state).

Smylinacha
12-21-2009, 07:34 PM
...first post, I took a demo ride on the spyder rs se5 and RTs SE5 at the IMS in Long beach CA.

There is also offered motor cycle driving courses for $250 (3 days, 10 in saddle "their bike" 5 in classroom) and then you don't have to take skills course at DMV. is this a good idea to do.?

welcome:congrats:

As far as the course - it's a GREAT idea. Well worth the money in my opinion. You need to be on the defensive just like driving in a car but riding a trike and a bike are different and they teach you those skills. My course was drilled into my head - they teach you emergency stops, how to swerve, how to shift (and two wheelers are different cuz you lean) but still - it's great to know the safety aspects of motorcycling. I took the course only after trying to learn to ride my first bike on my own - it made me more comfortable because before I took the course, although HDX taught me, I felt better doing the actual emergency stops, swerving and stuff. Plus they pass or fail you right there and you don't have to take the test at DMV.:thumbup:

TicketBait
12-21-2009, 08:42 PM
I've had the SE 5 since 07/08, no previous motorcycle experience. Took the motorcycle safety class for my own knowledge/safety but never went to DMV to get the license. the class is worth it; it gives you basic info on handling a motorcycle and safety moves. I don't think you need a motorcycl license in other states if you are gonna have CA licence plate. The Spyder takes a little getting used to. SE5 does not shift like a car, but it becomes second nature very quickly. It's a blast. i am in South bay and I ride sometimes the Lincoln up to Santa Monica and then PCH up north.Let me know when you get yours so mabe we can ride together.:2thumbs:

thanks for the quick responses, I will sign up for this Saturday.

I expect delivery in late Jan/early Feb. and then gonna practice alot around town before I venture out. will contact you when I am proficient.

NancysToy
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
...first post, I took a demo ride on the spyder rs se5 and RTs SE5 at the IMS in Long beach CA. I put a deposit down 10 days later on an RTS PE. They said Car license sufficient. However if I travel (eventually to another state) do I need Motorcycle license?

does AAA insurance want me to have a motorcycle license. They could not quote me a rate yet for the spyder :dontknow:

Other states will honor the licensing requirements of your home state. So you don't need to get a motorcycle license. I'd still recommend the safety course, I didn't have any motorcycle experience and I learned quite a few good tips in motorcycle ed (I needed to get a license in my state).
My understanding of it is that only states with reciprocity with California will accept their licensing requirements. (Sorry, I don't know which states and could not find that thread to reference.) There are thus some states where a motorcycle license would be required...no matter what. In other states, the hassle of proving yourself in compliance could be more than you want to bother with...and more expensive. I recommend getting the endorsement. I recommend a full endorsement if possible, rather than a restricted, three-wheel ticket.

In Michigan, you can get a learner's permit, practice, then test on the Spyder (if you can find a facility that will test a three-wheeler). My newbie wife considered that, then took her MSF course on their two wheeled bike. She was very glad she did! It was a confidence builder, taught her better about the use of the clutch, and taught her many safety lessons that are every bit as applicable to three wheels. There will be things they teach that you have to ignore on the Spyder, like countersteering. Now that the MSF has a three wheel instruction book, they may even give you some appropriate pointers on the differences. In addition to not having to test if you take a course, you will get a break on your insurance. BTW, shop around on that, AAA may be quite high, if they will ensure at all. I recommend that all new riders take an MSF course, no matter how many wheels...and a refresher is not a bad idea for the experienced fogies like me.

irish2themax
12-21-2009, 08:48 PM
However if I travel (eventually to another state) do I need Motorcycle license?

Reciprocity is a sticky issue. Each state is different. In WV you can get a 3-wheel license good for ALL trikes whereas a motorcycle license is good for both 2 or 3 wheels. Usually, there is "short term" reciprocity (usually 30 days) if you're just passing through but it isn't nationwide. Even then, they say "as long as the individual has a valid driver's license with motorcycle endorsement."

As far as I know, there is no safety course for trikes. As you said, you have to use "their bike" which may or may not pose a problem for you. In WV, if you pass the safety course, you do not have to take the DMV Skills Test...just the written (actually computerized)

Not sure what AAA insurance you are referring to. Are you talking about collision/liability? Or roadside assistance?

Yazz
12-21-2009, 09:47 PM
welcome and:congrats: on your new :spyder2:.

You have gotten great advice from wonderful people.
The skills learned at a motorcycle safety course may save your life one day. Its well worth the time and money. Even if its on their bikes.
Glad you asked the question.

Trickie Dick
12-21-2009, 10:43 PM
welcome and:congrats: on your new :spyder2:.

The skills learned at a motorcycle safety course may save your life one day. Its well worth the time and money. Even if its on their bikes.
Amen:agree:

truck 85
12-21-2009, 11:25 PM
check here there may be some info you can use.www.dmv.org
I no in Washington that you need a tricycle sidecar linenice and i motorcycle endorsement will not do you any good but you can get a permanent to practice.welcome

LDFIREWORKS
12-22-2009, 12:16 AM
welcome:congrats:

bone crusher
12-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Reciprocity is a sticky issue. Each state is different. In WV you can get a 3-wheel license good for ALL trikes whereas a motorcycle license is good for both 2 or 3 wheels. Usually, there is "short term" reciprocity (usually 30 days) if you're just passing through but it isn't nationwide. Even then, they say "as long as the individual has a valid driver's license with motorcycle endorsement."

As far as I know, there is no safety course for trikes. As you said, you have to use "their bike" which may or may not pose a problem for you. In WV, if you pass the safety course, you do not have to take the DMV Skills Test...just the written (actually computerized)

Not sure what AAA insurance you are referring to. Are you talking about collision/liability? Or roadside assistance?

I'm with you 100% on that...MD has a motorcycle license (class M with J-restriction) for the three wheelers...

As far as safety courses go, there are NONE in MD for trikes...darn classes all set up for two wheelers and their insurance won't let you on the course with three wheels...argh!

BumbleBee
12-22-2009, 07:35 AM
:congrats: on your pre-order. Waiting for my RTS PE SE to arrive, any day now.

Add your name to our growing list of pre-orders; Here is the link,

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14987

woodz428
12-22-2009, 08:46 AM
As far as safety courses go, there are NONE in MD for trikes...darn classes all set up for two wheelers and their insurance won't let you on the course with three wheels...argh!

I'll check with some of my friends that teach MSF courses and see if they might influence that. If the numbers grow it would seem a natural addition. Probably have to have a separate day/course,though.

irish2themax
12-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I'll check with some of my friends that teach MSF courses and see if they might influence that. If the numbers grow it would seem a natural addition. Probably have to have a separate day/course,though.

I spoke with my instructor, as well as the Regional Director. Apparently, they are "looking into" the issue across the country. Problem is figuring out the course layout since trikes have a much larger turn radius...course might not even fit into many of the training sites. I dropped the course since I was having trouble with front wheel braking. Since I have a SE5 and can't ride anything BUT a trike, I didn't need it anyway to get a trike license.

SpyderGirl
12-22-2009, 11:06 AM

:agree: Most certainly!! Taking the MSF class and getting my endorsement was one of the best things I ever did. And I didn't need it to ride the Spyder.

Sarge707
12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
When I got my:spyder2:in October I hadn,t riden a cycle in over 40 years but raced BRP jet skis Many years. The :spyder2:fit me like a glove .
BUT, I went very local and practise lots for a few afternoons, then farther around town, then on secondary and back roads to other neighboring towns , then after several trips up on a less traveled highway.
Now after 2,000 miles in 2 months the :spyder2:is Very Stable at Highway speeds and can really Burn up those 45MPH (I mean 70 MPH) back roads.
We always taught "Risk Assessment" in the Military and you need to Know (Scan) whats in front of you and in Back of you at ALL times and drive within YOUR personal ability!!:congrats:

SpyderGirl
12-22-2009, 01:29 PM
If you opt not to learn how to ride a two-wheeler and take the MSF course do yourself a favor and pick-up a MSF book and/or Proficient Motorcycling. There is a lot of good stuff in there that will help keep you safe on the road. Riding the Spyder doesn't make you invincible over riding a two-wheeler.... ESPECIALLY in California. nojoke

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=The+Motorcycle+Safety+Foundation%27s+Guid e+to+Motorcycling+Excellence

j45p3r
12-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately when I got my Spyder I had to jump right in. I went from the dealer, down 5 miles of 2 lane road and then 60 miles of interstate. This was my first time on any open wheel ride (on-road, I've ridden all kinds of off-road toys). I bought my Spyder sight unseen, I hadn't even done a demo ride. I remember when I first pulled on to the road thinking, "what have I done, I'm gonna kill myself on this thing", but within 10 minutes on the interstate I looked down and was doing about 80MPH and having a blast.

Campverdefela
12-22-2009, 05:58 PM

While I agree with the Motorcycle safety courses being a great thing to do, the Spyder comes with an excellent demo CD with great safety tips and practice layouts and along with the State available Motorcycle Operators Manual should be more than enough for most people to master with a little practice around the neighborhood.

SpyderGirl
12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
While I agree with the Motorcycle safety courses being a great thing to do, the Spyder comes with an excellent demo CD with great safety tips and practice layouts and along with the State available Motorcycle Operators Manual should be more than enough for most people to master with a little practice around the neighborhood.

While this will certainly help with the basic operation and function of the Spyder and explain it's safety systems it surely cannot teach you the fundamentals of staying safe while riding on an open-air vehicle, the proper techniques to make yourself visible to cagers, and the proper riding attire to help keep you safe if you do crash. Ride defensively, not offensively and always wear all the gear all the time. :thumbup:

woodz428
12-22-2009, 06:25 PM
The riders course here is on a big parking lot on the U of I campus. There's plenty of room to set up a course here. I imagine some areas may have limited area, but that's not the case here.
I imagine they could even set a course up from the DVD that BRP supplies. I'm not sure how it is elsewhere,but the bikes are supplied for the course, each local dealer contributes a few each year for their use.
You supply your own in the advanced course, but even a basic course for RT's would probably require owner supplied bikes ..at least initially.

aerialdall
12-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Here is a link to the MSF booklet for 3 wheelers that was just released in October this year. It has some great tips & even has some illustrations of the Spyder. When this 1st came out they originally said they were not going to print this so I don't know if it's available other than online.
http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/3w_tips.pdf

PCBeachBum
12-24-2009, 02:47 AM
After 32 years out of motorcycling, I found the Basic MSF course to be very imformative in learning to keep your head up and turning your head when making turns. Also doing head checks when changing lanes. I also found the course to be fun and that's what all instructors want. They want you to learn to relax, especially if you haven't riden before or in years as was my case.

It's well worth the money and in FL, I didn't have to take a test at the licensing office. The same afternoon after taking the skills test, my instructor emailed the licensing office, that I passed both the written and skills test, with my scores.

Learning to ride the Spyder, I watched the CD and practiced on the side streets around my house, before heading out in traffic and putting the skills that I learned at the basic MSF, course to work.:thumbup:

SpyderGirl
12-24-2009, 03:26 AM
After 32 years out of motorcycling, I found the Basic MSF course to be very imformative in learning to keep your head up and turning your head when making turns. Also doing head checks when changing lanes. I also found the course to be fun and that's what all instructors want. They want you to learn to relax, especially if you haven't riden before or in years as was my case.

It's well worth the money and in FL, I didn't have to take a test at the licensing office. The same afternoon after taking the skills test, my instructor emailed the licensing office, that I passed both the written and skills test, with my scores.

Learning to ride the Spyder, I watched the CD and practiced on the side streets around my house, before heading out in traffic and putting the skills that I learned at the basic MSF, course to work.:thumbup:

:agree: I got my M1 endorsement the same way here in CA. I didn't have to take the DMV motorcycle course, just the MSF class with proof of a passing score and the written DMV test.

PCBeachBum
12-26-2009, 05:10 AM
:agree: I got my M1 endorsement the same way here in CA. I didn't have to take the DMV motorcycle course, just the MSF class with proof of a passing score and the written DMV test.

SpyderGirl, here in FL all instructors are MSF state certified and the course is MSF state approved. FL as far as I know doesn't have a DMV course. In my class were two cops, that I often see patrolling the beach and a couple retired fighter pilots getting their endorsements, as they still have that "Need For Speed". Their not happy unless they are going mach 1, with their hair on fire.;)

Campverdefela
12-26-2009, 12:14 PM
While this will certainly help with the basic operation and function of the Spyder and explain it's safety systems it surely cannot teach you the fundamentals of staying safe while riding on an open-air vehicle, the proper techniques to make yourself visible to cagers, and the proper riding attire to help keep you safe if you do crash. Ride defensively, not offensively and always wear all the gear all the time. :thumbup:
The latest Motorcycle Operators Manuals most certainly does address proper techniques, riding attire, def. and off. maneuvers and all safety issues related to operating 2 and 3 wheel vehicles. The BRP CD does address this also and tells you to practice a set of maneuvers specific to safety and handling in an empty parking lot as I did with a friend observing. Again I am not saying the the Safety Course is not a good deal, just not necessary for all.

SpyderGirl
12-26-2009, 02:07 PM
SpyderGirl, here in FL all instructors are MSF state certified and the course is MSF state approved. FL as far as I know doesn't have a DMV course. In my class were two cops, that I often see patrolling the beach and a couple retired fighter pilots getting their endorsements, as they still have that "Need For Speed". Their not happy unless they are going mach 1, with their hair on fire.;)

:roflblack: That's funny.

SpyderGirl
12-26-2009, 02:08 PM
The latest Motorcycle Operators Manuals most certainly does address proper techniques, riding attire, def. and off. maneuvers and all safety issues related to operating 2 and 3 wheel vehicles. The BRP CD does address this also and tells you to practice a set of maneuvers specific to safety and handling in an empty parking lot as I did with a friend observing. Again I am not saying the the Safety Course is not a good deal, just not necessary for all.

Maybe you're right, not all... but MOST. :lecturef_smilie:

Dragonrider
12-26-2009, 02:20 PM
By all means, take the safety course, and get the endorsement. Oregon will impound the bike, if they catch you with out an endorsement - AND all motorcycle regulations cover the Spyder here (including helmets and insurance).

I would also recommend taking an ATV safety course too - a trike course is a waste of time and money for a Spyder (I have also taken that one)....

retread
12-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Another good reason to take the MSF course, you get a break on insurance cost.

john