PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Resell Question

jenrldcm
12-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Has anyone actually had luck with the resell of their 2008/2009 Spyder?
Got a new one on order and don't want to just give the 2009 away. The BRP rep that took my order way back then, suggested that they might even take it on trade-in, but of course he is not usually in this area and I still have it with only a couple of months left before the new one arrives.
I have about $25000 with all parts and accessories in the 2009 SE model. Less than 3200 miles on it. What should I ask for it that I can also get? $16000??
Suggestions?

NancysToy
12-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Got a new one on order and don't want to just give the 2009 away. The BRP rep that took my order way back then, suggested that they might even take it on trade-in, but of course he is not usually in this area and I still have it with only a couple of months left before the new one arrives.
I have about $25000 with all parts and accessories in the 2009 SE model. Less than 3200 miles on it. What should I ask for it that I can also get? $16000??
Suggestions?
Sorry, but parts and accessories that are not factory installed are worth little for resale, and even less for trade-in. You may get a bit over book price for them in a trade, but it will be negligible. As to a private sale, a buyer that want those accessories may pay more, but most buyers compare to the price of a bare, new Spyder, and are reluctant to pay that near MSRP, no matter what the accessories. I think you'll find the trade-in or resale value far less than what you expect.

woodz428
12-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Sorry, but parts and accessories that are not factory installed are worth little for resale, and even less for trade-in. You may get a bit over book price for them in a trade, but it will be negligible. As to a private sale, a buyer that want those accessories may pay more, but most buyers compare to the price of a bare, new Spyder, and are reluctant to pay that near MSRP, no matter what the accessories. I think you'll find the trade-in or resale value far less than what you expect.
If that's the case, it is unique the Spyder. Most bikes, it has little importance whether factory or not, as long as it's high quality. Typically winter is the wrong time to get the best price for any bike type vehicle. The very first day of warm whether and they will probably bite like flies. I buy/ sell lots of vehicles and I have a simple philosophy. Determine WHAT you feel you need from it and price it above that. It's always easy to come down, but no way can you go up.

NancysToy
12-20-2009, 12:44 PM
If that's the case, it is unique the Spyder. Most bikes, it has little importance whether factory or not, as long as it's high quality. Typically winter is the wrong time to get the best price for any bike type vehicle. The very first day of warm whether and they will probably bite like flies. I buy/ sell lots of vehicles and I have a simple philosophy. Determine WHAT you feel you need from it and price it above that. It's always easy to come down, but no way can you go up.
You must be in a better market than we are here in Michigan. Here even bikes priced below book take a while, and those priced high or heavily accessorized seem to sit forever. The wrong type of car can be around forever, too. Of course we have had double digit unemployment going on five years now, while the rest of the nation lagged behind. You are right about pricing above what you want to get, and about warm Spring days being the best time to sell. On the other hand, set your hopes too high, or be unwilling to bargain, and you could easily die with your toy. I hope everything comes out well with the sale.

woodz428
12-20-2009, 12:56 PM
On the other hand, set your hopes too high, or be unwilling to bargain, and you could easily die with your toy. I hope everythig comes out well with the sale.

Couldn't agree more, but if you like the toy...it could be worse ;)

NancysToy
12-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Couldn't agree more, but if you like the toy...it could be worse ;)
:roflblack: Now you know why the second Spyder will be #24...plus several collector cars.

Arch
12-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Sent PM

Ed

Suggestions?

musicarcade
12-20-2009, 02:15 PM
I would suggest putting back as much stock items as you can and selling your mods here or on ebay to maximize the amount you would get for selling.

woodz428
12-20-2009, 02:58 PM
I would suggest putting back as much stock items as you can and selling your mods here or on ebay to maximize the amount you would get for selling.
For me and others that do their own work that would be an excellent suggestion. Unfortunately many don't. That would require them to pay someone to do it and then you get a declining return. In that case, I'd say you'd be better of taking any hit than spending labor $$ for a possible return.
Again, if they do their own work that is an excellent suggestion.

ataDude
12-20-2009, 03:00 PM

I agree. You can reasonably expect to get about 60% of retail for your add-ons... someone always wants most of them. I took a bath on my front/back black wheel set but that appeared to be an anomaly -or- I just paid too much to begin with. :opps:

Base bike is probably worth $10-$12,000 retail. I got only $9,500 on a trade-in (dealer is asking $11,995 but it's still there, too) because I could not, in good conscience, sell it individually. The dealer I traded to knew exactly why I was selling. They took on the ultimate liability for the product safety.

Between the trade-in, and selling the add-ons, I've gotten about $15 and have a few things left.

MRFIRE
12-20-2009, 05:00 PM
i sent you a pm

LittleJohn
12-24-2009, 09:06 AM
I took a bath on my front/back black wheel set but that appeared to be an anomaly -or- I just paid too much to begin with. :opps:
:yikes::yikes::yikes::shemademe_smilie::dontknow:

M2Wild
12-24-2009, 10:12 AM
The dealer I traded to knew exactly why I was selling. They took on the ultimate liability for the product safety.

I didn't know you ditched your Spyder

ataDude
12-24-2009, 10:38 AM
:yikes::yikes::yikes::shemademe_smilie::dontknow:

Got them on yet? Is it yellow yet?

ataDude
12-24-2009, 10:40 AM
I didn't know you ditched your Spyder

You must have missed this:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15206

Roaddog2
12-24-2009, 12:38 PM
:roflblack: Now you know why the second Spyder will be #24...plus several collector cars.They have a new show on A+E it's about people who Hoard things :roflblack::joke::doorag:

rnet
12-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I was offered $16,000 trade in for the same model, year, mileage, and about a thousand more of accessories for an RT. Although that is a fair amount, I was looking to get $18,000. I decided to get some more accessories.

BillGargan
12-24-2009, 01:17 PM
For someone with cash -- the only limitation is their desire and your willingness to sell.

The bigger limitation is for those that are financing the purchase. The banks and credit unions don't want to hear about addons. They look at the book value of the machine and will only finance a fraction (say 75%) of that.

The KBB (Kelley Blue Book) on a 2008 SE5 is 13.6k and on a SM5 it is 12.7k.

If a bank will finance 75% then they would do it for about 10.0k or so. They buyer would need to have cash for the difference between the 10.0k and whatever y'all agree on as a price.

If you could sell for 16.0k they would need cash of 6.0k.

NancysToy
12-24-2009, 04:17 PM
They have a new show on A+E it's about people who Hoard things :roflblack::joke::doorag:
The smart ones hoard small things! nojoke

horse171
09-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Sold my 2008 privately.... took quite a beating, but, got 3000 more then offered on trade in... cars/boats/bikes "any toy" expect to lose on resale!!!