PDA

View Full Version : Trailer ramp load capacity question - Scotty??

Sopher
12-20-2009, 10:15 AM
I picked up some ramps at my local truck accessories store.
Three ramps total:
OxLite #14983 - Single ramp, 750 lb. Load Capacity - 12" x 89"
OxLite #13492 - Dual Ramps, 800 lb. Load Capacity - 12" x 98"
http://www.oxlite.com/stock8.htm

I'm confused about the weight rating. If the single is rated at 750 lbs then the dual would be 800 lbs EACH right? They are both made of the same guage almuminum and spars with the exception of length; single is bit shorter.

Would all three SAFELY carry the weight of the RT-S (925 lbs dry) onto a trailer?

boborgera
12-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I picked up some ramps at my local truck accessories store.
Three ramps total:
OxLite #14983 - Single ramp, 750 lb. Load Capacity - 12" x 89"
OxLite #13492 - Dual Ramps, 800 lb. Load Capacity - 12" x 98"
http://www.oxlite.com/stock8.htm

I'm confused about the weight rating. If the single is rated at 750 lbs then the dual would be 800 lbs EACH right? They are both made of the same guage almuminum and spars with the exception of length; single is bit shorter.

Would all three SAFELY carry the weight of the RT-S (925 lbs dry) onto a trailer?

I think you'll find One full ramp would be a lot easy to use.
1200 lb's would be best, that's how i lode my 4 wheeler's.

NancysToy
12-20-2009, 11:00 AM
You should be OK with the combined capacity of these ramps...barely. Keep in mind that the load isn't evenly distributed, though, with more weight to the front of the Spyder, and the weight distribution changing as you move up or down the ramps. Also, live load isn't the same as dead weight, being much more difficult for a structure like the ramp to handle. These will be near their limit, and may suffer over time.

The Spyder is difficult to accomodate with ramps. The trifold ramps aren't wide enough, but two heavy duty bifold ramps might be wide enough. I would get the heaviest rating you can find, with sturdy attachments to the trailer to keep them secured. You might even consider having someone fabricate a pullout ramp and rack for the trailer, so you can load safely and easily.

By the way, keep in mind that the Spder does not like a steep ramp angle. You may have to lift the trailer tongue, or raise the foot of the ramps if they are too short. The low ground clearance of the Spyder fights loading with a tall trailer or normal length ramps.

Sopher
12-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Scotty, Thanks for your much valued input. I really appeciate it!

For the dual ramps, are they 800 lbs each or 800 total?
remember the single was rated at 750.

NancysToy
12-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Scotty, Thanks for your much valued input. I really appeciate it!

For the dual ramps, are they 800 lbs each or 800 total?
remember the single was rated at 750.
Hard to say with certainty. You might get a clue from the heaviness of the construction. For a hinged ramp that was not able to beseparated, I would say the rating was for the entire ramp assembly. For ones that break down into two separate ramps, it could go either way. Contact the supplier. With nothing concrete to the contrary to go by printed on the packaging, you must assume stated load limits are for the entire package.

Sopher
12-31-2009, 06:39 PM
I found from the OxLite web site that my local Yankee Custom truck accessories dealer can order the dual 12x89" ramps that hold 1500 lbs. and a single 18x89 that holds 1000 lbs. I plan on exchanging the ones i bought on Saturday so he can order the new ones.

NancysToy
12-31-2009, 06:53 PM
I found from the OxLite web site that my local Yankee Custom truck accessories dealer can order the dual 12x89" ramps that hold 1500 lbs. and a single 18x89 that holds 1000 lbs. I plan on exchanging the ones i bought on Saturday so he can order the new ones.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: