PDA

View Full Version : Relay / fuse box foam at the factory?

groundeffect
12-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Good morning, everyone.

Regarding the relays/fuses working their way loose on the Spyder; does anyone know if foam inside the fuse/relay box is installed at the factory these days to fix them from coming loose and causing non-start or limp modes?

thank you.

fastfraser
12-20-2009, 06:56 AM
I know the 09s had the foam added . Never had a relay work itself lose !

groundeffect
12-20-2009, 07:45 AM
I know the 09s had the foam added . Never had a relay work itself lose !

Glad to hear it, thanks for the reply.

Anyone else with 2009 Spyders that had foam installed at the factory, before you got yours?

Cheers.

mike3069
12-20-2009, 07:54 AM
My '08 was delivered 5/1/08 with foam in the relay box.

Never had a loose relay problem.

groundeffect
12-20-2009, 07:59 AM
My '08 was delivered 5/1/08 with foam in the relay box.

Never had a loose relay problem.

May of 08 had foam in the relay box, nice! I guess this issue is a very very old one?

Thanks

krb1945
12-20-2009, 07:15 PM
we have did not come with foam in the relay boxs. I added it to all three myself. The late in the year 08 was the worst to shake the relays loose. Since adding the pieces of foam in the tops we've not experienced any more loose relays. Before adding the foam in the tops I had to check the relays every couple of weeks. /Ken

Firefly
12-20-2009, 07:26 PM
My 2008 PE - took delivery in March 2008 had factory foam --- no problems with loose relays.

GA-SPYDER
12-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Purchased 06/01/08 and it had foam in the lid.:thumbup:

Neez
12-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Mine came with factory foam, but it indents and allows relay looseness, so I added a bit of foam weatherstrip under the cover. No problem now.

groundeffect
12-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Mine came with factory foam, but it indents and allows relay looseness, so I added a bit of foam weatherstrip under the cover. No problem now.

That's a smart idea. I guess the foam from the factory may have 'memory'; condenses more then it expands back in place.

I don't have a spyder (hoping to get one this year), but I'm wondering, for those who have installed their own foam; how did you attach it inside the case? Glue?

Thanks for your time.

dave01
12-21-2009, 09:29 AM
I added a second piece to minr too. It came with peel-off tape and it stuck real good to the factory foam. I had a relay come loose in the mountains after a large hole jumped out in front of me and me forgetting about the rear wheel being in the middle.OOPS.
Since then, no problems at all

groundeffect
12-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks, Dave

Neez
12-21-2009, 03:12 PM
If you get that self adhesive weather strip that peels off, you will find that it comes in different thicknesses. I found that the 1/8 inch stuff was just right ( when adding to factory foam). The 1/4 inch strip is too thick. BTW, when removing the cover, take care, perhaps use a flashlight. Some folks have been a bit hasty, forced it incorrectly and broken the cover latches.

Spanky
12-21-2009, 06:16 PM
It just may be bad luck or a bad batch of relays but I have replaced 2 of my relays several times. So I made an adapter harness from the relay plug in (using old relay) notched the fuse cover, added a new connector and then mounted 2, 30 amp sealed weatherproof relays. No more relay problems, period.

However, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I did use foam to hold in the adapters.

:spyder:

moroccomole2004
12-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Humm interesting Spanky. I too think my fan relay is bad as I don't think my fan is kicking in. I purchased a spare relay at AutoZone and will try changing it out to see if that is the problem.

Mole :spyder2:

SethO
12-21-2009, 11:57 PM
I had a hella bad time with this, I would have to get off put my wheelchair together, push the fuses in and get back on and put my wheelchair on, was worse when you pushed it thru the twistys at triples, I had to tape a penny in the cover above the modules so it would stay in the right place. I started by using pipe insulation tape and progressed from there, if you not push your spyder hard I do not think you would have as many problems.

There was foam in mine to start with, I have put on "normal seth" miles on it for about 9,000 miles and have not have a VSS fault since.

NancysToy
12-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Old off-road trick...put a blob or two of RTV silicone at the bas of each relay, overlapping the socket. Let it dry overnight and the relays will stay in place. If they fail or need to be removed or replaced, just slit the silicone.

krb1945
12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
of putting the RTV Silicone on the base to hold them in position. Thanks for the silicone reminder. My little gray cells keep forgetting it. /Ken

groundeffect
12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Is anyone able to post a picture of the box, fuses and their foam mod for reference?

thank you.

Roaddog2
12-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Old off-road trick...put a blob or two of RTV silicone at the bas of each relay, overlapping the socket. Let it dry overnight and the relays will stay in place. If they fail or need to be removed or replaced, just slit the silicone.:2thumbs: