PDA

View Full Version : Social commentary, as seen elsewhere on the 'net ...

RodO
12-19-2009, 09:16 PM
"If loud pipes save lives imagine what learning to ride that thing would do."
:agree:

Smylinacha
12-20-2009, 09:58 AM
I agree learning to ride plays a major part - I think the Motorcycle Safety Course is the best thing going. BUT I do think that loud pipes save lives - I've seen it. I've ridden behind HDX when dogs run out in the middle of the road and when deer jump out in the road and those pipes scare them off. That is why I got rid of my stock pipe and put my two brothers pipe on - I'm right behind HDX making some noise.

But when someone has "loud" pipes - it also depends on the person riding the bike. He or she can be an idiot and wamp on the thing constantly which is totally annoying. But if ridden without all the wamping going on, it would sound just fine. I would only wamp on my bike if there is something in the road I could hit or if a car pissed me off.

Yazz
12-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I agree learning to ride plays a major part - I think the Motorcycle Safety Course is the best thing going. BUT I do think that loud pipes save lives - I've seen it. I've ridden behind HDX when dogs run out in the middle of the road and when deer jump out in the road and those pipes scare them off. That is why I got rid of my stock pipe and put my two brothers pipe on - I'm right behind HDX making some noise.

But when someone has "loud" pipes - it also depends on the person riding the bike. He or she can be an idiot and wamp on the thing constantly which is totally annoying. But if ridden without all the wamping going on, it would sound just fine. I would only wamp on my bike if there is something in the road I could hit or if a car pissed me off.
:agree: Knowing how to ryde safely is the first level of defense when on the road. Also agree that loud pipes can be a pain if revved too much.

My goal when ryding is to make sure everyone around me knows I'm there. Especially in city traffic. If I have to goose the Two Brothers once in a while to give a driver a wake up call, so be it.

How many people pay attention to a motorcycle horn?nojoke

effgjamis
12-20-2009, 06:06 PM
:agree: Knowing how to ryde safely is the first level of defense when on the road. Also agree that loud pipes can be a pain if revved too much.

My goal when ryding is to make sure everyone around me knows I'm there. Especially in city traffic. If I have to goose the Two Brothers once in a while to give a driver a wake up call, so be it.

How many people pay attention to a motorcycle horn?nojoke

What about an AIR HORN ?????? Truckers scare the h.... out of the crazies.

irish2themax
12-20-2009, 06:31 PM
My goal when ryding is to make sure everyone around me knows I'm there. Especially in city traffic.nojoke

I have a loud air horn, HID lights, and a good aviator scan

jwhatman
12-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Oh I love that quote. Living in Ormond Beach where Bike Week and Biketoberfest is held, we see a lot of new bikers or bikers who haven't been ont heir bikes in awhile. It shows. Hubby and I like to just people watch and see what happens. You see a lot of crazy things. People just picking up their new bike, but don't know how to ride the thing. Taking on passengers when they can't even get balanced yet, etc. It's always amazing to watch what some people will do to try to fit in.
Joyce

Roaddog2
12-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Oh I love that quote. Living in Ormond Beach where Bike Week and Biketoberfest is held, we see a lot of new bikers or bikers who haven't been ont heir bikes in awhile. It shows. Hubby and I like to just people watch and see what happens. You see a lot of crazy things. People just picking up their new bike, but don't know how to ride the thing. Taking on passengers when they can't even get balanced yet, etc. It's always amazing to watch what some people will do to try to fit in.
JoyceI noticed after the 50th Anniversary in 91 it pretty much got like that down there I officially gave it up in 93:ani29: