PDA

View Full Version : When riding on wet roads.... with the Spyder...

groundeffect
12-19-2009, 09:03 PM
When the road is wet (not raining at the time of riding)... does your feel get splashed from water off the wheels, or get went in general, or are your feet positioned in such a way on the body of the Spyder/pegs that your feet will not get wet?

thanks

jgwoods
12-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Your feet will get wet. Protection is better than a motorcycle but puddles and just wet roads in general will get your feet wet. I have ridden 8-10 miles in a fair rain with no rain pants and as long as I don't have to stop I wind up pretty dry- a little wet at the cuffs, a little by my pockets, everything else ok- except for the wet feet.

I wear gore tex lines shoes most of the time so the wet is on the outside only.

Newfoundland- wow. I gotta go there again soon. Now I know I might see another spyder if I do.

groundeffect
12-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Newfoundland- wow. I gotta go there again soon. Now I know I might see another spyder if I do.

thanks for your note. Currently I don't have a Spyder, but I'm saving up for one. I'm riding an XT250 dual sport motorcycle these days, but want to jump the Spyder for the safety of three wheels.

I have a pair of rain pants and jacket that zip together, along with water proof gloves. When I ride in the rain I stay pretty good and dry also.

If you do come here to the Rock, feel free to drop me an email or PM.

Cheers and thanks.

bone crusher
12-19-2009, 10:25 PM
thanks for your note. Currently I don't have a Spyder, but I'm saving up for one. I'm riding an XT250 dual sport motorcycle these days, but want to jump the Spyder for the safety of three wheels.

I have a pair of rain pants and jacket that zip together, along with water proof gloves. When I ride in the rain I stay pretty good and dry also.

Cheers and thanks.

I have waterproof everything and it doesn't make a difference if you get caught in a thunderstorm or serious downpour...now, two wheelers will duck under a bridge but with a Spyder, you can ride through anything...I had a nice 1.5 hour ride through the tail-end of a tropical storm this summer (the weather was so bad that many cars were parked alongside the road and waiting it out) and the bike did great...I was completely soaked though...luckily it was about 85 degrees out, so it felt fine! I would NEVER do this without traction control, anti-lock brakes, vehicle stability, etc...the goodies on the Spyder are phenomenal!

NancysToy
12-19-2009, 10:38 PM
The Spyder is drier than my BMW, but eventually you get wet on anything. Waterproof riding boots are a great addition to your riding gear if you can afford them, and can find some to fit. My skinny feet demanded custom boots, not available in a waterproof style, so I use overboots. Tourmaster, Aerostitch, and others make these to fit over your boots or shoes. They keep the rain (or slush) out nicely, and are pretty cheap. I keep full rain gear, including boots and gloves, in my saddlebags all the time. Another tip...carry your raingear in the right saddlebag (if you have them), so if you have to stop at the side of the road to put it on, you won't be exposed to traffic.

Director
12-19-2009, 11:26 PM
...now, two wheelers will duck under a bridge but with a Spyder, you can ride through anything...

:hun: Uh, not this two-wheeler, crusher. The one and only time I stopped under a bridge was in Knoxville in a thunderstorm that was so heavy I could not see where I was going. Also, the only scary moments I have ever experienced in the rain were on my Spyder, not on a two-wheeler, when it hydroplaned a couple of times in deep water on the I-75. Don't let the electronic gadgets lull you into a false sense of security. You won't fall over on a Spyder, but you can hydroplane.

Bruce

boborgera
12-20-2009, 12:47 AM
When the road is wet (not raining at the time of riding)... does your feel get splashed from water off the wheels, or get went in general, or are your feet positioned in such a way on the body of the Spyder/pegs that your feet will not get wet?

thanks

Your feet will get a little wet ,but not as much as my vtx. Also i have the evo 3 windshield once i get over 30/35 mph the rain go's up and over me.
I got the Spyder for safety reasons i ride all winter, when it snows i just wait till the plow's clear the roads. Get a Spyder '' YOU'LL LOVE IT'':thumbup:
[idiosyncrasies and all].... P/S like director mentioned it can hydroplane.

jgwoods
12-20-2009, 08:55 AM

Cheers and thanks.

One big difference between 2 wheels and 3 is you lose the ability to dodge potholes and road junk. Picking your way through a nasty spot in the road by riding the little 4 wide inch smooth spot goes away. I do manage to miss some of the small stuff by having it pass just inside of a front wheel and it missing it with the back wheel if it is small. Everything else you hit it and the excellent suspension does a good job of softening the blow but it can be a pretty bouncy ride on rough roads.

Where are you on the Rock?

groundeffect
12-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Good points on point hole ( and other obstacle ) avoidance, and on hydroplaning.

jgwoods: Check you pms.

Cheers everyone.

Smylinacha
12-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I just wear my waterproof raingear - cheap ones - got them at Harley - they pack up into a ball. So far I've been dry. I really like them because they are packable - they pack up to about the size of a desert plate.

I have gortex boots but they are too hot in the summer for me - they have thinsulate in them and are perfect for winter. In warmer months I wear my Redwing boots and I put Doc Bailey's on them and so far my feet stay dry.

As for gloves - Hatch pistol gloves - they get drenched on the outside but my hands are dry on the inside. They have some sort of neoprene on the outside of them.

NancysToy
12-20-2009, 10:43 AM
If you have the correct gear and wear it properly, you won't get wet at all.....I have many thousands of miles of rain riding behind me, the only thing that ever gets wet are my hands, I have yet to find a comfortable, breathable pair of gloves that don't take on water after a couple hundred miles of highway speeds in the rain....The only "two wheelers" that I see under bridges are the ones that weren't prepared. The same would be true for a Spyder......As others have said, the Spyder requires the same amount of caution as any other bike in less than ideal conditions.....
:agree: No joy yet on truly waterproof gloves...or even overgloves, although the Aerostich come close. The only time you'll find me under an overpass is when I am putting on my rain gear, or when there is lightning close by.

bikeguy
12-20-2009, 12:25 PM
If you have the correct gear and wear it properly, you won't get wet at all.....I have many thousands of miles of rain riding behind me, the only thing that ever gets wet are my hands, I have yet to find a comfortable, breathable pair of gloves that don't take on water after a couple hundred miles of highway speeds in the rain....The only "two wheelers" that I see under bridges are the ones that weren't prepared. The same would be true for a Spyder......As others have said, the Spyder requires the same amount of caution as any other bike in less than ideal conditions.....

I haven't ridden that much in the rain, west Texas is dry country you know, but I have ridden some and I agree that the only real problem is that my hands get wet. I haven't really tried to find a truly waterproof pair of gloves. I just accept that my hands will be wet.

I have a pair of riding boots that I bought at a trade show in Houston so long ago that I don't even remember the manufacturer but they have never leaked a drop. They were made by a small company in, I believe, Massachusets. So small that I bought mine from the president and owner of the company. A couple of years ago, on a ride to the Big Bend, the glue turned loose on the soles of both boots at the same time and I had to duct tape the soles back on or ride home barefooted. I had them repaired and they are good as new.

As far as stopping under overpasses, it seems like Texas thunderstorms always include some hail and, yes, I'll hunt a hidey-hole. If it's just a regular rain, I may slow down some and try to be a little more cautious and observant, but it's not a problem, at least on two wheels. I'm interested in jgwoods comment, though, about having more trouble avoiding potholes, puddles, and obstacles on 3 wheels than 2. Since I've ordered a Spyder, I've been thinking about that but don't want to hijack the thread.

Cotton

Smylinacha
12-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I remember one trip to Laconia. HDX and I rode in a total downpour. I was riding on the back with him. We pulled over at some gas station and I went in and bought a pair of basic yellow plastic gloves - the kind you would wash your dishes with. My hands were still soaked - the didn't breathe and they got all sweaty inside.
I would think the those "over gloves" would do the same thing, right?

:agree: No joy yet on truly waterproof gloves...or even overgloves, although the Aerostich come close. The only time you'll find me under an overpass is when I am putting on my rain gear, or when there is lightning close by.

NancysToy
12-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I remember one trip to Laconia. HDX and I rode in a total downpour. I was riding on the back with him. We pulled over at some gas station and I went in and bought a pair of basic yellow plastic gloves - the kind you would wash your dishes with. My hands were still soaked - the didn't breathe and they got all sweaty inside.
I would think the those "over gloves" would do the same thing, right?
The Gore-Tex ones are from Aerostich better, but yeah, eventually soggy no matter what. I have found the same with neoprene fishing gloves, latex (doctor) gloves under my regular gloves, or "waterproof gloves." BTW, I usually just use the Playtex dishwashing gloves as overgloves. Cheap, easy, and visible. Best combination I have is some leather ones that I used Nikwax on. They hold up well to light rain, and last the longest in a downpour...without making my hands sweat.

nudle
12-20-2009, 05:13 PM
:2thumbs:i use blue latex gloves under my regular gloves hands stay dry and warm.

bone crusher
12-20-2009, 05:13 PM
:hun: Uh, not this two-wheeler, crusher. The one and only time I stopped under a bridge was in Knoxville in a thunderstorm that was so heavy I could not see where I was going. Also, the only scary moments I have ever experienced in the rain were on my Spyder, not on a two-wheeler, when it hydroplaned a couple of times in deep water on the I-75. Don't let the electronic gadgets lull you into a false sense of security. You won't fall over on a Spyder, but you can hydroplane.

Bruce

I hydroplaned once but it was no biggie...I was literally in 1.5 hours of serious, non-stop thunderstorms...going over the Bay Bridge with lightning everywhere...quite exciting. I didn't have any fears as the bike handled quite well. As far as not seeing where I was going, yeah, it was about 1.5 hours of that...cars on the side of the road everywhere...I was already soaked, so I figured what the heck...I had to gap my helmet faceshield so I wouldn't drown (forgot about the vents...argh!)...amazingly, the Scala Rider 2 was fine as was my Zumo 550. I was beyond soaked...darn oil from leather gloves stained my hands for days! There were no two wheelers out, trust me...for that matter, many 4 wheelers took a break. I didn't feel like staying overnight at the eastern shore (in MD) so I rode home...it was exciting but I wouldn't want to do it again...the Spyder did handle very well...

Smylinacha
12-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Isn't the brand Gor-Tex supposed to be waterproof? I've had a few brands of gloves and never found that it was.

My Gor-Tex boots are Rockies and those actually work.

The cool thing about my Hatch pistol gloves - they get sopping wet on the outside but my hands are warm and dry on the inside. When I take these gloves off, I can literally wring them out and see a stream of water leak out. But my hands are dry and they are NOT Gor-Tex - go figure?!

The Gore-Tex ones are from Aerostich better, but yeah, eventually soggy no matter what. I have found the same with neoprene fishing gloves, latex (doctor) gloves under my regular gloves, or "waterproof gloves." BTW, I usually just use the Playtex dishwashing gloves as overgloves. Cheap, easy, and visible. Best combination I have is some leather ones that I used Nikwax on. They hold up well to light rain, and last the longest in a downpour...without making my hands sweat.

bone crusher
12-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Isn't the brand Gor-Tex supposed to be waterproof? I've had a few brands of gloves and never found that it was.

My Gor-Tex boots are Rockies and those actually work.

The cool thing about my Hatch pistol gloves - they get sopping wet on the outside but my hands are warm and dry on the inside. When I take these gloves off, I can literally wring them out and see a stream of water leak out. But my hands are dry and they are NOT Gor-Tex - go figure?!

Yes, it is a waterproof membrane, but when you're riding, you know as well as I do that you are not completely sealed. If you are in a really heavy downpour, since your garb is not air tight, you're gonna get wet.

I use 'water-proof' ski gear and the same holds true...enough moisture will get you wet. You can wear Gore-Tex ski pants but if you sit on a wet bench, you'll get wet.

Waterproofing is now determined by a certain permeability factor...I do not know the formula, but you want at least 8,000mm waterproofing...the higher you go, the more waterproof you'll be...I have a ski jacket that is 10,000mm and ski pants that are 15,000mm...I still get wet if there are wet conditions...

On a bike with a serious downpour, you're gonna get wet no matter what you do!

Your boots might be waterproof while you're sludging around in water/mud, but if you're on a bike and water is coming in from the top, you'll get wet...you get my point...

Smylinacha
12-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Well I kept the stock pegs on my Spyder and I think that because my feet are tucked behind my legs (more sport type riding) compared to my Harley where my legs were on floorboards and not tucked behind me, my feet don't get wet on the Spyder.

Well so far so good w/ my rainsuit. If I didn't have the Hatch gloves, I'd probably need some sort of guantlet glove to seal my arms and my wrists so no water gets in. Just can't find a gauntlet that goes over my jack sleeve - they all seem too tight so I don't wear them. And my Hatch really works.

Yes, it is a waterproof membrane, but when you're riding, you know as well as I do that you are not completely sealed. If you are in a really heavy downpour, since your garb is not air tight, you're gonna get wet.

I use 'water-proof' ski gear and the same holds true...enough moisture will get you wet. You can wear Gore-Tex ski pants but if you sit on a wet bench, you'll get wet.

Waterproofing is now determined by a certain permeability factor...I do not know the formula, but you want at least 8,000mm waterproofing...the higher you go, the more waterproof you'll be...I have a ski jacket that is 10,000mm and ski pants that are 15,000mm...I still get wet if there are wet conditions...

Your boots might be waterproof while you're sludging around in water/mud, but if you're on a bike and water is coming in from the top, you'll get wet...you get my point...

tweeder
12-21-2009, 05:08 PM
When it's really commin down, I find that good ol gum boots keep me feet dry

Motza
12-21-2009, 10:19 PM

Try a wet suit and flippers, Mike Nelson :shemademe_smilie: :roflblack:

bone crusher
12-22-2009, 01:49 AM
:D

The Gore-Tex membrane is impervious (supposedly) but if you get around it, you're in trouble...I love my H.H. Brown Chukka boots as I can trudge through water and never get wet...but, if water gets over the edge of the boot, whoops! If you compress the Gore-Tex material against something wet, for a long enough period of time, moisture will inevitably get through...perhaps temperature affects as well? You would need basically rubber to stay totally dry, but you'd end up sweating in it anyway...Gore-Tex is as good as it gets and it is usually amazing stuff...costs enough too!

Roaddog2
12-22-2009, 09:48 AM

Your boots might be waterproof while you're sludging around in water/mud, but if you're on a bike and water is coming in from the top, you'll get wet...you get my point...Have to disagree here me and HDX just last year:ani29:Ran from Maine near Bar harbor back to CT.Downpour all the way other than a little leakage from my gloves was dry all the way:ani29:The key for me anyways is to be suited up before it starts example bring gear in hotel room if there calling for rain :coffee:

bone crusher
12-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Have to disagree here me and HDX just last year:ani29:Ran from Maine near Bar harbor back to CT.Downpour all the way other than a little leakage from my gloves was dry all the way:ani29:The key for me anyways is to be suited up before it starts example bring gear in hotel room if there calling for rain :coffee:

Yeah...true...

I wasn't wearing 'waterproof' gear on my ride home from Easton over the summer...I would've needed to be completely sealed as water was coming down in buckets! My jacket is water-resistant, I believe, but that means nothing when you have 1.5 hours of really heavy rain...you'd have to be wearing air-tight Gore-Tex or rubber to stay dry in what I was riding in...it was actually fun as the air temp was really warm...I was so wet that I dumped water out of my boots when I got home! What a ride...what a rush...

The Spyder handled incredibly well...I was amazed...I love this bike!!!!

NancysToy
12-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah...true...

I wasn't wearing 'waterproof' gear on my ride home from Easton over the summer...I would've needed to be completely sealed as water was coming down in buckets! My jacket is water-resistant, I believe, but that means nothing when you have 1.5 hours of really heavy rain...you'd have to be wearing air-tight Gore-Tex or rubber to stay dry in what I was riding in...it was actually fun as the air temp was really warm...I was so wet that I dumped water out of my boots when I got home! What a ride...what a rush...

The Spyder handled incredibly well...I was amazed...I love this bike!!!!
:roflblack: Been there, done that! And you can't get wetter than wearing a halfpot helmet and goggles during a downpour. There is no way you can tighten the collar of your rainsuit tight enough to keep out the water without strangling yourself...LOL. Ever swish the water in your goggles around to get rid of the fog, as if SCUBA diving? Most all-weather riders probably have amazing (and amusing) rain stories!

txknight67
12-22-2009, 10:42 PM
:roflblack: Been there, done that! And you can't get wetter than wearing a halfpot helmet and goggles during a downpour. There is no way you can tighten the collar of your rainsuit tight enough to keep out the water without strangling yourself...LOL. Ever swish the water in your goggles around to get rid of the fog, as if SCUBA diving? Most all-weather riders probably have amazing (and amusing) rain stories!

I kid you not, the first day I got the bike, I was riding back into work and hit a gully washer. Cages were pulled over on the side of the road and even a few big rigs. I didn't have any rain gear other than a rain jacket I bought when I was working on the flight line in San Antonio. Had a full face helmet and a pair of summer weight leather gloves. I was soaked from the waist down and my hands. Poured water out of my boots when I got to work. Luckily I had packed a pair of slacks and was wearing blue jeans since I didn't have my leathers yet. Was able to change out pants and just had to deal with wet boots and socks the rest of my shift that night. Luckily it was warm still then.

As everyone else has said, bike handled beautifully. Had to slow to 45 - 50 for visibility reasons, but no handling problems.

Roaddog2
12-23-2009, 12:18 PM
:roflblack: Been there, done that! And you can't get wetter than wearing a halfpot helmet and goggles during a downpour. There is no way you can tighten the collar of your rainsuit tight enough to keep out the water without strangling yourself...LOL. Ever swish the water in your goggles around to get rid of the fog, as if SCUBA diving? Most all-weather riders probably have amazing (and amusing) rain stories!I figured out the collar part a long time ago though it is not comfy use the hood on your gear also then put your helmut on just don't let it obstruct your vision :yikes: or choke ya don't like it but it helps big time.

bone crusher
12-23-2009, 09:36 PM

I had to keep my helmet 'unlocked' as the water was starting to fill up on the inside above the brim...by keeping the helmet unlocked, the water would drain out...still had the protection though...

Don't wear googles but that must be a hoot! My gloves were so wet that the black oil from the leather stained my hands for days...yikes! Itchy too!

I couldn't believe how much rain we got and how ridiculous it was for me to ride with all the lightning, esp. over the Bay Bridge...that was scary, for sure!

NancysToy
12-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Don't wear googles but that must be a hoot! My gloves were so wet that the black oil from the leather stained my hands for days...yikes! Itchy too!
:roflblack: In the summer my gloves of choice are deerskin work gloves. I have stained my hands brown, up to the wrists, more times than I care to count. Love the way they petrify and turn into bricks after they dry out, too.

bone crusher
12-25-2009, 09:24 PM
:roflblack: In the summer my gloves of choice are deerskin work gloves. I have stained my hands brown, up to the wrists, more times than I care to count. Love the way they petrify and turn into bricks after they dry out, too.

Yeah....any gloves out there that do NOT stain and are leather, with some padding?