PDA

View Full Version : Installing Garmin 660

Tom N
12-19-2009, 05:17 PM
I have been following your posts for months prior to making the big decision. Just put down deposit yesterday on a PE black RT-S and trailer. When it arrives, I want to install a GPS on the ST and save some money. I have seen the Garmin 660 GPS on Ebay in the mid $600 range (compared to the $1200 the dealer wants). Does anyone have experience mounting this GPS on the RT as pictured in the Spyder sales catalog? Does the 660 come with the mount used by the dealer or is this a seperate purchase? Thanks for any help.

Lamonster
12-19-2009, 05:24 PM
welcomeand:congrats:

What you're paying for on the RT is the integration and hard mount. I'm not sure if you can buy just the mount and harness without the 660 but if not you should be able to adapt it to the RT like you would on any other bike. I have a 660 on my RS and the RT.

BumbleBee
12-20-2009, 07:09 AM
I have been following your posts for months prior to making the big decision. Just put down deposit yesterday on a PE black RT-S and trailer. When it arrives, I want to install a GPS on the ST and save some money. I have seen the Garmin 660 GPS on Ebay in the mid $600 range (compared to the $1200 the dealer wants). Does anyone have experience mounting this GPS on the RT as pictured in the Spyder sales catalog? Does the 660 come with the mount used by the dealer or is this a seperate purchase? Thanks for any help.

:congrats:, add your name to our growing list;

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14987

rjchoops
12-20-2009, 07:43 AM
I did see you can buy the Garmin 660 RT bracket separately for $25.00.
http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_39&products_id=99

Questions
12-20-2009, 10:37 PM
JMO, I attended a 3 hr. seminar a few months ago at a BMW rally that dicussed the pro's and con's of the new Garmin 660 vs. the 550 and I couldn't see why to change for what seems to be just a larger screen.

My 550 has been a workhorse for the past 2 years and I think I'll hold on to it. Hooking up the 550 to my RT is a project for the next few weeks, all I need is to invent a mount and find a connection for the power and away we go.

NancysToy
12-20-2009, 11:33 PM
I did see you can buy the Garmin 660 RT bracket separately for $25.00.
http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_39&products_id=99
I don't think this is for the RT. It is for the Kewlmetal bars and console on an RS.

SilverSurfer
12-21-2009, 06:04 AM
I too have put my deposit down on a '10 RT-S, and have been debating regarding the GPS option.

At first I thought Can Am was just over-charging for the GPS ... a $1,199.00 option. However, this is Garmin's Zumo 660 unit which retails alone for $899.99 (vs. the Nuvi 660, a $319.00 unit).

So, while I'm not closed on the need for a $900.00 GPS, or why a GPS should cost that much, I realize that it's what Can Am went for because it's the best in the Garmin line; not to mention the Zumo is built to be motorcycle friendly without adding additonal water protection, etc. They took a retail $900 GPS and matched it with a custom mounting kit and harness, which added another $300.00. Voilah!

So what I hope we see soon is a Spyder-Lover-owner published how-to for the RT to include taking any GPS, the kewlmetal GPS mount for Spyder and showing us how to integrate a 12v harness, the mount and the GPS for under ... say ... $600.00.

Paul:clap:

NancysToy
12-21-2009, 07:42 AM
I too have put my deposit down on a '10 RT-S, and have been debating regarding the GPS option.

At first I thought Can Am was just over-charging for the GPS ... a $1,199.00 option. However, this is Garmin's Zumo 660 unit which retails alone for $899.99 (vs. the Nuvi 660, a $319.00 unit).

So, while I'm not closed on the need for a $900.00 GPS, or why a GPS should cost that much, I realize that it's what Can Am went for because it's the best in the Garmin line; not to mention the Zumo is built to be motorcycle friendly without adding additonal water protection, etc. They took a retail $900 GPS and matched it with a custom mounting kit and harness, which added another $300.00. Voilah!

So what I hope we see soon is a Spyder-Lover-owner published how-to for the RT to include taking any GPS, the kewlmetal GPS mount for Spyder and showing us how to integrate a 12v harness, the mount and the GPS for under ... say ... $600.00.

Paul:clap:
Thanks for a good summary on the GPS option. One other feature to remember, the BRP GPS is integrated into the RT sound and comm systems. It will mute the sound when it gives instructions, and broadcast directions over the speakers and helmet earphones. Also, the cabling for power and sound is short and unobtrusive, connecting in the handlebar assembly directly below the GPS unit.

I am one of those who has chosen to use my existing GPS. My plan for now is to mount via a RAM mount attached to the handlebar bolts with an adapter, exactly like on my BMW. I am hoping to be able to tap the power and possibly the sound system beneath the cover where the BRP unit mounts, but I will have to have my RT in hand before I can explore that option. I am adding Powerlets front and rear, so I will have an alternative power source if need be. I use the dash Powerlets on my BMW and the other Spyder.

There is a video on YouTube showing another type of GPS mounted on the left handlebar on one of the RT5 test units, with cables running into the center of the handlebars where the GPS attachment cover is located. It would be nice to have details on how this was accomplished. I didn't see anywhere that was suitable for mounting on the left handlebar, but I must have missed something.

Lamonster
12-21-2009, 08:26 AM
There is a video on YouTube showing another type of GPS mounted on the left handlebar on one of the RT5 test units, with cables running into the center of the handlebars where the GPS attachment cover is located. It would be nice to have details on how this was accomplished. I didn't see anywhere that was suitable for mounting on the left handlebar, but I must have missed something.
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Images/RAM-RC-S.jpg

NancysToy
12-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks, Lamont. After I looked at the new clutch master cylinder cover with the two screws, I knew the RAM adapters being used before wouldn't work well, and there is no handlebar open to clamp to....which will create an issue for those wanting to add a hand brake. BTW, do you know the number for this RAM adapter?

Lamonster
12-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks, Lamont. After I looked at the new clutch master cylinder cover with the two screws, I knew the RAM adapters being used before wouldn't work well, and there is no handlebar open to clamp to....which will create an issue for those wanting to add a hand brake. BTW, do you know the number for this RAM adapter?
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?item=RAM-BA

You could still do a hand brake, it would take a little trimming though.

TonyMac
12-21-2009, 02:51 PM
This thread caught my eye because I got an early Christmas present in the form of a Garmin Nuvi 780 which I want to mount to my 2008 Spyder. (I know this is an RT thread but it is a question about GPS mounting)

I've got the NMN 4" risers on my 2008 model and I seem to remember reading here about a ball mount that fit on inside nut that holds on the new handlebar. That seems like an ideal mounting solution.

I went to the ESI, Kewl Metal and other web sites and couldn't find that part. Lamont posted a link to RAM mounts but it is a bit of information overload.

Any advise on which RAM ball mount would work with the inside of the NMN 4" risers would be great. Or would you recommend the one that fits over the clutch resevoir?

Thanks, Tony

Dwight
12-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Is the 660 that they use on the RT removable? I wasn't going to get the GPS but if I can take it off of the RT and use in in my car or on my RZR ATV then I might change my mind. If it's not removabel I'll probably just add one later.

Dwight

Trickie Dick
12-21-2009, 09:21 PM
This thread caught my eye because I got an early Christmas present in the form of a Garmin Nuvi 780 which I want to mount to my 2008 Spyder. (I know this is an RT thread but it is a question about GPS mounting)

I've got the NMN 4" risers on my 2008 model and I seem to remember reading here about a ball mount that fit on inside nut that holds on the new handlebar. That seems like an ideal mounting solution.

I went to the ESI, Kewl Metal and other web sites and couldn't find that part. Lamont posted a link to RAM mounts but it is a bit of information overload.

Any advise on which RAM ball mount would work with the inside of the NMN 4" risers would be great. Or would you recommend the one that fits over the clutch resevoir?

Thanks, Tony

I think what you are looking for is the Ram Mount Base, b-252-u. http://www.gpscity.com/search/q=rammotorcycleextra. You would then probably attach a socket arm of the length you want. I used a 2 1/2" long one. You will also need a diamond shaped base to attach to the back of the bracket holding you nuvi.
I have a mount base on both of my risers so I can switch back and forth or put something else on the other one.
Dick

TonyMac
12-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I think what you are looking for is the Ram Mount Base, b-252-u. http://www.gpscity.com/search/q=rammotorcycleextra. You would then probably attach a socket arm of the length you want. I used a 2 1/2" long one. You will also need a diamond shaped base to attach to the back of the bracket holding you nuvi.
I have a mount base on both of my risers so I can switch back and forth or put something else on the other one.
Dick

That is excellent! Thanks. I'll order one today.

Lamonster
12-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Is the 660 that they use on the RT removable? I wasn't going to get the GPS but if I can take it off of the RT and use in in my car or on my RZR ATV then I might change my mind. If it's not removabel I'll probably just add one later.

Dwight
Yes it is, you will have to order a car mount if you want to move it from RT to your car.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000#accessoryTab

Questions
12-29-2009, 12:55 AM
If I understand you the dealer installed 660 is removeable and can be updated for new maps and POI's. As installed it is intergrated into the sound system then.

Bob

Lamonster
12-29-2009, 08:12 AM
If I understand you the dealer installed 660 is removeable and can be updated for new maps and POI's. As installed it is intergrated into the sound system then.

Bob

Correct. :doorag:

Jornie1
12-29-2009, 10:05 PM
I just purchased a Garmin 660 directly from Garmin. It came with a car mount along with a selection of Ram mounts. I called BRP today and there is a BRP adapter available that mates up with the Garmin for mounting on the handlebar hub on the RT.. like in all the brochure pictures. They couldn't give me a price today but it is available...:ohyea:

Yes it is, you will have to order a car mount if you want to move it from RT to your car.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000#accessoryTab

k_teven
05-14-2015, 01:25 PM
...and broadcast directions over the speakers and helmet earphones.

I bought a demo 2010 RT-SE and it had the Garmin mount already on it. I assumed that the connections were all OK and I purchased a new 660 on-line from a shop in California. I attached the unit to the mount and it powers on OK, it maps the trip OK, it mutes the sound when providing verbal cues however, nothing comes out through the radio speakers? I do not have the bluetooth dongle on the bike and I could live without it if only the GPS directions would come through the speakers as you mention here. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Steven L.
Bettendorf, IA

billybovine
05-14-2015, 03:03 PM
I bought a demo 2010 RT-SE and it had the Garmin mount already on it. I assumed that the connections were all OK and I purchased a new 660 on-line from a shop in California. I attached the unit to the mount and it powers on OK, it maps the trip OK, it mutes the sound when providing verbal cues however, nothing comes out through the radio speakers? I do not have the bluetooth dongle on the bike and I could live without it if only the GPS directions would come through the speakers as you mention here. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Steven L.
Bettendorf, IA

Turn on the 660 and when it has started up give the power button a quick press and release. The Quick Settings screen will come up. Make sure the mute is not checked and the volume is 100%.

Let us know if that works or not.

jarheadjohn
05-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Thanks for a good summary on the GPS option. One other feature to remember, the BRP GPS is integrated into the RT sound and comm systems. It will mute the sound when it gives instructions, and broadcast directions over the speakers and helmet earphones. Also, the cabling for power and sound is short and unobtrusive, connecting in the handlebar assembly directly below the GPS unit.

I am one of those who has chosen to use my existing GPS. My plan for now is to mount via a RAM mount attached to the handlebar bolts with an adapter, exactly like on my BMW. I am hoping to be able to tap the power and possibly the sound system beneath the cover where the BRP unit mounts, but I will have to have my RT in hand before I can explore that option. I am adding Powerlets front and rear, so I will have an alternative power source if need be. I use the dash Powerlets on my BMW and the other Spyder.

ok I think I have the mount for my gps garmin nuvi 2689 figured out, what I'm having a problem with is where to add the power mount, the gps will be mounted on the handlebars where the handlebar bolts are. where would a good safe place be to mount the power mount