PDA

View Full Version : CB...Worth the $$$$ ?

2Gunns
12-18-2009, 01:10 PM
OK, I need some input. Having never owned or been around a Touring bike I have no clue how necessary a CB or Intercom would be. But....My dealer told me if I order the CB package before my oRT is shipped he wont charge me for installation (if he installs it during the initial setup).

So, for those of you with Touring expierence...with all the new bluetooth stuff out there, is the CB/Intercom Package worth the cash?

Lamonster
12-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I've never had it till this last RT. The guys that use it love it but I think it's kind of like a gps, I won't go on a ride without one and there are those who could care less about having one. :dontknow:

Dwight
12-18-2009, 01:28 PM
John,

Can't say the CB is necessary but since we tour two up I wouldn't like to be without the intercom. According to everything I've read you have to have the CB to have the intercom on the RT so we ordered it. With all of the new electronic devices you can probably come up with a stand alone intercom. My salesman offered to fit us with a Scala (I think) system that would take care of intercom, cell phone, etc. for around $400. It was battery powered and I just decided to go ahead and get the CB. I've had CB on my last two HD's and never even bothered to learn how to turn it on. However, if you ride with a group and they have the CB's then it may be worthwhile. $800 is way overpriced, and I'm also pretty sure they are gonna charge me $190 apiece for the headsets for the intercom. Just means I'm gonna hafta work a few more days to pay for it!!

Dwight

dwsdad
12-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Rumor I hear is that the CB/Intercom unit has a Bluetooth module that will pair with pretty much any Bluetooth headset. If that is true, all the audio source would go through the RT sound system and connect wirelessly to the headsets. Any truth to that rumor?

Lamonster
12-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Rumor I hear is that the CB/Intercom unit has a Bluetooth module that will pair with pretty much any Bluetooth headset. If that is true, all the audio source would go through the RT sound system and connect wirelessly to the headsets. Any truth to that rumor?
Bad info. I'm pretty sure I would have picked up on that at the RT5 meeting. :doorag:
RT Owners Manual Online (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15919)

NancysToy
12-18-2009, 04:04 PM
I didn't buy the CB/Comm System or the helmet mikes/speakers that are required to use it.. It is handy having it fully integrated, with a PTT button on the handlebars, but the CB is of no use to me. I seldom ride in a group, and our club doesn't use CBs. I like having a comm system, but our helmets are already wired for the Starcom1 system, so we will put one of those on the Spyder RT-S, like on my wife's Spyder GS and my BMW. There are other alternatives, like the Scala, too, if you prefer wireless. One caution, if you can't do the wiring and hookup yourself, you may wish to go ahead with the BRP system. Comm systems can be tedious wiring, especially with the fully enclosed RT-S bodywork.

irish2themax
12-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Don't have an RT but I intend to buy a CB for the Route 66 trip in May. Don't need a lot of range. Looking at the Midland 75-820

Used to use a CB all the time before the age of cell phones

medican
12-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I have been wondering whether I need the CB/Comms as well. I think I will put it on when I order. The cost will be cheaper and I like the 2 up comms, I have some friends with the CB so it might come in handy if I ride with them. I have seen that J&M are coming out with Bluetooth adapters for the comms witch will turn each helmet into cordless. Something to look into me thinks.
:thumbup:

Richard

nickcaro
12-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Does anyone know if you can select a channel on the CB to contact emergency services?

I seem to often come up on crazy situations out there on the road. Tonight I followed a drunk for about 10 miles until he launched his jeep about 350 yards in to the woods. Even if I had a cell phone rigged to my helmet, I'm thinking it may be easier to change the CB channel and call for help.

medican
12-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Does anyone know if you can select a channel on the CB to contact emergency services?

I seem to often come up on crazy situations out there on the road. Tonight I followed a drunk for about 10 miles until he launched his jeep about 350 yards in to the woods. Even if I had a cell phone rigged to my helmet, I'm thinking it may be easier to change the CB channel and call for help.

Found this: http://home.att.net/~wizardoz/cbmw/fccrules.html
CB Radio Channel 9 may be used only for emergency communications or for traveler's assistance. Members of the Radio Emergency Associated Communications Teams (REACT) throughout the United States do an excellent job of guarding CB Radio Channel 9 specifically for emergencies or requests for directions. REACT is a non-profit public service organization. Its thousands of members can take advantage of REACT headquarters programs, which include group insurance, conventions, team newsletters, and special CB Radio equipment discounts.

nickcaro
12-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Medican, thanks for the link.

Looks like I have much to learn about the CB culture. Just from browsing that one page, the CB is looking like it will certainly be in my future.

edit;

Lamont, do you have any tech specs on the CB radio?
Range, transmitter power, Channel range, etc...

RTGENE
12-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Having a CB has become a real asset during road trips. I was south of Memphis when 40 miles furthur down the road a fatal accident occurred on the interstate. Traffic was at a stand still and was going to stay that way for many hours. I pulled over on the shoulder and got out my hand held CB----- I asked North bound truckers what has happened and how bad is the jam. In short order I was looking at a road map and going south on two lane roads. A CB is one item that should be on your trip check list.

bikeguy
12-19-2009, 12:55 AM
I can see where a hand held CB like BMWGENE mentioned might be a help at times. Personally, I would prefer that to a unit installed in the bike. I don't know many riders who use CB's anymore. Lots of them used to.

I recently bought a Scala wireless intercom and I'm very pleased with it. I liked the idea of being wireless rather than plugged into the bike. For one thing, that makes it portable between bikes. We can use it on whichever bike we are on. It doesn't know the difference. Absent minded as I can be at times, I won't get off the bike, forget it's plugged in, and rip the cord out, either. It can also be used between bikes although the distace is limited. Certainly not comparable to a CB. Since it's bluetooth compatible, theoretically it can pair with any bluetooth compatible GPS or cell phone although I don't use it for either. Bought the complete setup for $237, including shipping, on Ebay.

Cotton

lawrenc454
12-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Like others I was shocked that BRP tied the comm system to the CB. I have riden for years and only used the CB a few times. Several at accident scenes to talk to truckers that could convey emergency messages. Twice with severe mechanical issues and stuck in the middle of nowhere and only truckers going by at 70mph. Last a couple of times I t stopped at truck stops when I was really tired and found a trucker that was heading in the same direction and we talked for a couple of hours of driving and I got to my next stop in good shape.

Last since it is tied to the intercom I suspect that J&M or some other company will have a Bluetooth module to work with the helmets. Look at the Schuberth Helmets sold in Europe and the complete comm system that fits into the neckring. This product is from a partnership with Scala, which produces Bluetooth systems, out of Philadelphia. See http://www.schuberth.com/en/products/motorrad/src-system.html.

If anyone wants to get a Schuberth C3 from EU you can contact 2-Wheel Junkie in Great Britian. Good service and fast delivery. http://www.2wheeljunkie.co.uk/

Have a great holiday folks.:clap:

Mad Matt
12-19-2009, 06:57 AM
Don't have an RT but I intend to buy a CB for the Route 66 trip in May. Don't need a lot of range. Looking at the Midland 75-820 (http://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-75-822-Channel-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR)

Used to use a CB all the time before the age of cell phones

I use that unit and it works well. My wife and I use CB's for bike to bike comm. I ordered the CB with my RT. I also ordered a CB for my new Victory Cross Country. My Spyder RS has the J&M unit on it. My Honda Valkyrie Interstate has a built in unit. On all my other bikes I use the Midland on a handlebar mount with a J&M PTT button that velcro's on. The nice thing about the midland is that if you hookup a power wire on the bike, the unit can be smaller, or if you don't have a power wire, or just want to use it as a hand held, you can swap out the bottom half for the battery pack. One thing I have learned is you have to become your own CB technician for the older stuff. My Valkyrie has been a pain to get it working and it doesn't work that great. I also had trouble with my J&M and never could get the antenna to work well, I ended up using a Radio Shack antenna and buying an SWR meter to tune it. Not to many techs at the local dealers that can work on CB's. That being said, the new Spyder RT, and my Victory will be under warranty, so if there are issues with the CB, I guess the dealers will have to figure it out!

Matt

NancysToy
12-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Last since it is tied to the intercom I suspect that J&M or some other company will have a Bluetooth module to work with the helmets. Look at the Schuberth Helmets sold in Europe and the complete comm system that fits into the neckring. This product is from a partnership with Scala, which produces Bluetooth systems, out of Philadelphia. See http://www.schuberth.com/en/products/motorrad/src-system.html.
I don't see this happening. BRP has equipped the Spyder with wired plugs, as part of the CB/Comm package. It also offers either a mike/headset that can be added to existing helmets, or completely wired helmets. I wouldn't expect them to change their options and package at this early date. Other companies are going to find it difficult to make a wireless system that will integrate readily with the BRP system, and with their own accessories to peddle, BRP is unlikely to cooperate.

Trickie Dick
12-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Can you tie the CB to a scala or other bluetooth headset so you can communicate with other riders while on the move?
Dock

NancysToy
12-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Can you tie the CB to a scala or other bluetooth headset so you can communicate with other riders while on the move?
Dock
Not as far as I know, strictly CB to CB...and I am not aware of any CB that can be integrated to Bluetooth.

Trickie Dick
12-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Not as far as I know, strictly CB to CB...and I am not aware of any CB that can be integrated to Bluetooth.
Thanks, Scotty. Then I don't see the use other than an emergency for those with bluetooth headsets. I suppose you can hook into a wired communications set-up like the Starcom that you have but unless the others riding in your group have the same deal then it couldn't be used for inter-bike communications. Right:dontknow:
What is the advantage of a CB vs. a GMRS/FRS type of radio? :dontknow:
Dick

medican
12-19-2009, 11:41 AM
With the J&M Blue tooth (not that I'm a spokesperson) it splices in a box for each passenger and rider leaving the original comm ports working. It works with the system that is on your bike turning all comms ipod CB ect. into Blue tooth with your helmet. I have been looking for a system such as this, I don't want to pay for a system on the bike and not use it fully.

Downside, each box and helmet need to be charged
In short........replaces the cord........:clap:

irish2themax
12-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Dick

Only real advantages of the CB are range and ablity to get road/traffic info from other CB users. However, the more I research, the more likely I am to get an GMRS/FRS radio rather than a CB...probably the GMRS though I'm not sure. The GMRS/FRS are clearer comms than a CB and half the price. It does require a license ($5) if you want to be totally legal. I have sent an e-mail to Cardo to see if I can plug the GMRS into the Scala Rider system

Since they come in pairs, I will likely let Gene use the spare since we've been planning the Route 66 trip together. Looking at the Midland LXT360VP3 (http://www.midlandradio.com/Two-Way-Radio.BS3/LXT360VP3) right now which is waterproof. $25 on Amazon.com.

Don't believe the range claims but I don't think we need anything over 1 mile anyway

Jornie1
12-19-2009, 01:39 PM
We have ordered BRP CB packages for our two RT A&C's coming mid Jan. Obviously some sort of bike to bike comm is essential, especially for long distance touring which is our intent. Blue tooth is excellent but limited in range and innability to comm with multiple others. CB has an advantage over FRS some of the same reasons. BRP CB disadvantage, no cell phone interface...that I know of...The trucking community, on CB, can be a wealth of information for accident/construction/bridge out kind of stuff. Last but not least info on where the Enforcers are, just in case you aren't paying real close attention to you MPH. With multiple channels on CB, it isn't necessary to monitor a noisy channel constantly but the option is there should you need it. It is my plan to install both the units on our RT's. I'm just weird that way, so if there are any knowledgable RTer's out there on installs, could you please give me some insight as to what I may run into. Jornie1@comcast.com Or hopefully I will see your reply on this site.

NancysToy
12-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Scotty. Then I don't see the use other than an emergency for those with bluetooth headsets. I suppose you can hook into a wired communications set-up like the Starcom that you have but unless the others riding in your group have the same deal then it couldn't be used for inter-bike communications. Right:dontknow:
Dick
The Starcom1 will work with either CB (impractical unless you permanently install and tune an antenna) or FRS/GMRS radio. The latter is the most common. You can talk to others on the same channel (and security setting) who have the same type of radio. Not that practical for strangers or large groups, although sticking to the standard CB channels will tune you in to traffic and others in the vicinity. My comm system will also let you answer your cell phone and talk, but I never use it in that mode unless I am expecting an emergency call. Frankly, bike-to-bike is a bigger pain than it is worth, IMO. I never bother.

Jornie1
12-19-2009, 03:12 PM
The Starcom1 will work with either CB (impractical unless you permanently install and tune an antenna) or FRS/GMRS radio. The latter is the most common. You can talk to others on the same channel (and security setting) who have the same type of radio. Not that practical for strangers or large groups, although sticking to the standard CB channels will tune you in to traffic and others in the vicinity. My comm system will also let you answer your cell phone and talk, but I never use it in that mode unless I am expecting an emergency call. Frankly, bike-to-bike is a bigger pain than it is worth, IMO. I never bother.

Scotty, I'm with you for the most part, on the bike to bike being a pain with maybe one exception. That being the other bike is MY WIFE... :yikes: Pain comes when I don't answer her...ie food, relief stop... etc. Jornie1

dwsdad
12-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Dock

You can if you use this: http://imcmoto.com/home/bluetooth-adapters/camos-btar-stereo-bluetooth-adapter-2.html

Trickie Dick
12-20-2009, 11:25 AM
You can if you use this: http://imcmoto.com/home/bluetooth-adapters/camos-btar-stereo-bluetooth-adapter-2.html
Looks interesting. Thanks for the info.
Dick

TicketBait
01-07-2010, 12:23 AM
OK, I need some input. Having never owned or been around a Touring bike I have no clue how necessary a CB or Intercom would be. But....My dealer told me if I order the CB package before my oRT is shipped he wont charge me for installation (if he installs it during the initial setup).

So, for those of you with Touring experience...with all the new bluetooth stuff out there, is the CB/Intercom Package worth the cash?

Great question, so what did you decide John G, I myself am going down to the dealer tomorrow to order the rest of my options, while I have just a little bit of control with the cost, the RTS and garmin were ordered and I am gonna add the CB and XM also.

gonna also get a price on the B.E.S.T. warranty

The trailer I will get later if I see the necessity on bringing a lot of stuff. Heck 22 cubic feet is what i could fit in the back of my vet and believe me that was a lot.

MarkLawson
01-07-2010, 08:16 AM
I ordered my RT with CB. The RT arrived two weeks ago, but no CB yet. Dealer doesn't know when it'll arrive...

2Gunns
01-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Great question, so what did you decide John G, I myself am going down to the dealer tomorrow to order the rest of my options, while I have just a little bit of control with the cost, the RTS and garmin were ordered and I am gonna add the CB and XM also.

gonna also get a price on the B.E.S.T. warranty

The trailer I will get later if I see the necessity on bringing a lot of stuff. Heck 22 cubic feet is what i could fit in the back of my vet and believe me that was a lot.

I'll probabley go with the CB option, my dealer has offered to extend his free installation into March (or whenever the CB's come out).

SPYDDER
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
A CB radio is the last thing I would want...
"Breaker ...Breaker Good Buddy...got your ears on""

Questions
01-07-2010, 07:25 PM

So, for those of you with Touring expierence...with all the new bluetooth stuff out there, is the CB/Intercom Package worth the cash?

I wouldent ride in a groop with out one

TicketBait
01-09-2010, 12:35 AM
I wouldent ride in a groop with out one

:2thumbs:welcome:ohyea:

great first post,,,,,ok I am gettin the CB:yes: and if I am wrong and i wasted my $$ then you can put that on my tombstone, but if just once if it saves my life, then , nahnah nah nah naaaaaaaaa!!:cheers: