PDA

View Full Version : Sat on a Spyder, had a problem

randian
12-14-2009, 06:23 AM
I was checking out a used RS on a dealer's lot. Because I have short arms, I basically must hug the tank to get a proper reach to the bars that doesn't put a lot of weight on my wrists. That requires my legs, rather than be parallel to the direction of travel, be splayed approximately 30 degrees from parallel. With my feet in their usual position parallel to my thighs, I can only touch the extreme right edge of the brake pedal with the ball of my foot because it doesn't protrude far enough to the right away from the chassis. That's horribly unsafe because it's likely my foot will slip off the pedal at a most inopportune time, especially when the pedal and my shoes are wet. Also, I cannot comfortably sit with the extreme level of pigeon-toe required to make solid contact with the brake pedal. Anybody else have this problem? I'd also prefer the pedal be placed higher (closer to my foot). Is this an economical modification to make to the bike?

Lamonster
12-14-2009, 07:39 AM
welcome
These will help.
http://www.esicycleproducts.com/SpyderHandlebarRiserKits.html

NancysToy
12-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Moving the control pedals and footrests upward and back is not practical on a Spyder. I'm not saying it couldn't be done by some smart fabricator, but as far as I know it has not been done yet. The handlebar risers will help you reach with your hands, but if your legs are too short to reach the pedals comfortably, I'm not sure the Spyder is for you. Sorry.

irish2themax
12-14-2009, 08:53 AM
I was checking out a used RS on a dealer's lot. Because I have short arms, I basically must hug the tank to get a proper reach to the bars that doesn't put a lot of weight on my wrists. That requires my legs, rather than be parallel to the direction of travel, be splayed approximately 30 degrees from parallel. With my feet in their usual position parallel to my thighs, I can only touch the extreme right edge of the brake pedal with the ball of my foot because it doesn't protrude far enough to the right away from the chassis. That's horribly unsafe because it's likely my foot will slip off the pedal at a most inopportune time, especially when the pedal and my shoes are wet. Also, I cannot comfortably sit with the extreme level of pigeon-toe required to make solid contact with the brake pedal. Anybody else have this problem? I'd also prefer the pedal be placed higher (closer to my foot). Is this an economical modification to make to the bike?

I would suggest that you get the pullback bars from KewlMetal (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/index.php?cPath=5&osCsid=61693b3ccfac139052dd2c6b4e0c5db5). Sit upright and have someone measure the distance from your outstretched hand to the bar grips to determine the optimum pullback measurement. They come 5", 7" and 9". That should allow you to place your feet in the proper position

SpyderGirl
12-14-2009, 11:48 AM
welcome The Kewlmetal bars are probably your best bet. :2thumbs:

Magic Man
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
The ESI Extended Length Billet Brake Pedal Covers as well as our Billet Handle Bar Risers should help you feel much more comfortable on this machine. :agree:

The Billet Brake Pedal Covers also feature 6 non-slip traction nubs to help your foot stay securely on the pedal preventing unwanted slips from the pedal surface, and measures 4 inches in length to make reaching the brake much easier for riders like us because I too had the same problem you do getting my foot to the stock pedal.

You can view these items at...
www.esicycleproducts.com (http://www.esicycleproducts.com/) :thumbup:

MM

8LEGS
12-14-2009, 12:48 PM
welcome

Neez
12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Randian, I ride toes-out as well. The classy solution is the ESI extended brake pedal covers, which look and work really nice. If money is a problem (isn't it always?) you could do what I did and make your own extenders out of a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 by 1 inch flatbar, appropriately drilled. I used #5 grade 1/4 inch bolts to fasten to the brake lever.

aka1004
12-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Randian, I ride toes-out as well. The classy solution is the ESI extended brake pedal covers, which look and work really nice. If money is a problem (isn't it always?) you could do what I did and make your own extenders out of a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 by 1 inch flatbar, appropriately drilled. I used #5 grade 1/4 inch bolts to fasten to the brake lever.

I have done this also and worked out really well.
Total cost? $3.50 for piece of metal and couple of bolts anx nuts from homedepot.:2thumbs:

spyderenthusiast
12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Although expensive, worst comes to worse I would think you could run a handbrake, floorboards and risers.
-se

randian
12-14-2009, 10:46 PM
The handlebar risers will help you reach with your hands, but if your legs are too short to reach the pedals comfortably, I'm not sure the Spyder is for you.
If my legs were that short I couldn't ride any motorcycle let alone a Spyder. It's not a matter of my legs being too short, it's the toes-out riding position that creates problems. The brake pedal being a bit higher would make it more comfortable, but it's not fatal. The part of the brake pedal that your foot touches isn't wide enough, that's fatal.

randian
12-14-2009, 10:48 PM
The Billet Brake Pedal Covers also feature 6 non-slip traction nubs to help your foot stay securely on the pedal preventing unwanted slips from the pedal surface, and measures 4 inches in length to make reaching the brake much easier for riders like us because I too had the same problem you do getting my foot to the stock pedal.
How many additional inches in width over stock does the cover add to the pedal?

NancysToy
12-14-2009, 11:23 PM
If my legs were that short I couldn't ride any motorcycle let alone a Spyder. It's not a matter of my legs being too short, it's the toes-out riding position that creates problems. The brake pedal being a bit higher would make it more comfortable, but it's not fatal. The part of the brake pedal that your foot touches isn't wide enough, that's fatal.
I understand now. When you said you wanted the pedals closer, I figured your legs were short enough to be pushed out too far, due to the width of the seat. I understand about the need to go "pigeon-toed" to reach the controls with the width of the Spyder, even for my long legs. The pedal extensions would be a good bet.

Neez
12-15-2009, 01:51 AM
How many additional inches in width over stock does the cover add to the pedal?Well, if the ESI covers are 4 inches and the stock cover is 2-3/8 inches, then 1-5/8 inches in length must have been added.