PDA

View Full Version : RT insurance rates!

frank3
12-11-2009, 08:42 AM
OK, now that we have all of these new RTs ordered, lets try to find out what the insurance is going to cost. I think a lot of insurance companys classify the RS in the same catagory as a crotch rocket and as such, jack the rates up a bit. Im awaiting delivery on my RT and will be contacting my regular insurance Co. rep today to see if State Farm will be calssifying the RT in a better catagory. Anyway, if anyone out there has a quote yet on the RT, please post it here.:dontknow:

2Gunns
12-11-2009, 08:46 AM
OK, now that we have all of these new RTs ordered, lets try to find out what the insurance is going to cost. I think a lot of insurance companys classify the RS in the same catagory as a crotch rocket and as such, jack the rates up a bit. Im awaiting delivery on my RT and will be contacting my regular insurance Co. rep today to see if State Farm will be calssifying the RT in a better catagory. Anyway, if anyone out there has a quote yet on the RT, please post it here.:dontknow:

Excelent question.. hadn't really thought much about it, guess I automaticly assumed it would fall under my current motorcycle policy, but with this "what is it" question I think I'll call my agent as well

COOLMACHINE
12-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Hello Frank3,
I don't know the insurance price of the new RT's but I live in St. Louis, own an 08 Spyder, and insure it through State Farm. With a very good driving record, age of 46, I just received my insurance notification for 2010 and it is $600 a year. Do you currently own a spyder and if so, what do you pay?

lawrenc454
12-11-2009, 01:07 PM
My Allstate agent in San Jose, CA, said that the RT and trailer would be less than my 2007 H-D Scream Eagle Ultra and Unigo trailer I just sold. Their estimate was $64 less.

KNIGHTRIDER
12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I insured my RT last week and the total was $300.78 for 12 months. I use Allstate and have them for my vehicles and home. This was $200/300 less than Gieco and Progressive.

retread
12-11-2009, 03:02 PM
You have to make sure your agent lists your Spyder as a "sport touring" bike for the RS (it qualifies, it has luggage capacity), and the RT as a "touring" bike. When I first insured my '08, Allstate put it in as a crotch rocket; I changed it to sport touring and saved almost $300.00.

john

frank3
12-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Hello Frank3,
I don't know the insurance price of the new RT's but I live in St. Louis, own an 08 Spyder, and insure it through State Farm. With a very good driving record, age of 46, I just received my insurance notification for 2010 and it is $600 a year. Do you currently own a spyder and if so, what do you pay?
I don,t own a Spyder yet. Only have an RT on order. I just checked with my State Farm agent and he quoted $666.00 a year with $500 deductable. When he was checking, he couldn't find a listing on State Farm for "RT" just "RS" and the only optional info for input was the transmission SE. I told him that I expect delivery by mid Jan and if he had additional info, to let me know. Having a VIN number might also help as the ins. co.s check rates based on vin sometimes. At any rate, I think I might shop around. Presently have 3 cars and home with State Farm but this might be a good reason to look else where. I've always changed providers every 4 or 5 years simply because they never stay "the lowest" in each individual area much longer than that. By the way, I'm 65 with a good record.

vt228
12-11-2009, 03:12 PM

cost 700 for o8 spyder the rt 1,000

frank3
12-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Sure hope I find something lower than $1000/yr. Agent quoting me $666 based on current ins info (RS only listing) might climb a bit. Like I said, I'll be shopping around.

KNIGHTRIDER
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
My agent had a problem finding the right premium for the RT until she had the actual VIN # then the rates got much better.

frank3
12-11-2009, 05:08 PM
My agent had a problem finding the right premium for the RT until she had the actual VIN # then the rates got much better.
Boy that's great news. Hope I have the same luck when my RT comes in. Just curious, are you a RT-5 member or did I detect that you have a new RT delivered? Didn't think any of the PEs were being delivered yet. Dosn't matter much because it's 10 deg, 10" snow on the ground and not a rosie forecast.

BillGargan
12-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Keep in mind that the list price of a vehicle is a major component of the insurance cost -- at least for collision and comprehensive.

Those that are buying the RT-S are likely to see very high rates (say 1.5 times) compared to what they might ordinarily expect for an RS or a two-wheel machine.

KNIGHTRIDER
12-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Frank3,
I bought my RT from the Dealer. It does not have PE stitched in the seat but it will soon have highway pegs and floorboards.

MSGTDOC
12-12-2009, 07:47 AM
CALL HERE AND ASK FOR MARK
http://www.bikersins.com/

frank3
12-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Frank3,
I bought my RT from the Dealer. It does not have PE stitched in the seat but it will soon have highway pegs and floorboards.
you did say that the rates were lower for the RT over the RS. Iwas wondering if that might be the case in spite of the difference in value. My agent indicated that State Farm might view the RS as too much like a crotch rocket design. I have obtained my dealers vin number for his demo unit and will try my insurance agent again on Monday, using the demo unit vin number. I keep you posted.

frank3
12-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Frank3,
you did say that the rates were lower for the RT over the RS. Iwas wondering if that might be the case in spite of the difference in value. My agent indicated that State Farm might view the RS as too much like a crotch rocket design. I have obtained my dealers vin number for his demo unit and will try my insurance agent again on Monday, using the demo unit vin number. I keep you posted.

Questions
12-13-2009, 12:52 AM
I have My RTS Insurance with AAA in So. Cal. and pay $350.00 a year this is full coverage 100/300/50 @ $1000 deduct.:chat:

Wheeler~
12-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Foremost gave me an insurance quote of $678 for Orlando, FL area.

KNIGHTRIDER
12-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I have never had a RS so don't know what the rates are. My agent did give me a much higher rate until she got her computer to recognize the RT vin #. Hope that helps.

COOLMACHINE
12-13-2009, 02:53 PM
I don,t own a Spyder yet. Only have an RT on order. I just checked with my State Farm agent and he quoted $666.00 a year with $500 deductable. When he was checking, he couldn't find a listing on State Farm for "RT" just "RS" and the only optional info for input was the transmission SE. I told him that I expect delivery by mid Jan and if he had additional info, to let me know. Having a VIN number might also help as the ins. co.s check rates based on vin sometimes. At any rate, I think I might shop around. Presently have 3 cars and home with State Farm but this might be a good reason to look else where. I've always changed providers every 4 or 5 years simply because they never stay "the lowest" in each individual area much longer than that. By the way, I'm 65 with a good record.

Yea Frank,
I have has State Farm (same agent) since I was 16 and no one can touch their rates for me personally. I've tried. What I dislike about SF is they do not consider the Spyder for a multi-discount vehicle.

DannyS
12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
I just got American Family Insurance and pay $270 a year. Of course I have been ridding for over 40 years and have a good driving and credit record. I also have my home and car insured but the bike insurance is through another company split from the car and home insurance so I do not get a discount. My advise is shop around I had another insurance company and I dropped the car insurance $150 every 6 nonths and the bike insurance $100 a year. :2thumbs: