PDA

View Full Version : RT and the cruise control

AntelopeSpyder
12-10-2009, 12:41 PM
This question is mostly for Freditor, because of his experience, others might be interested also.

In the 2010 RT Manual on page 17 there is a WARNING “It is not recommended to use the cruise control when towing a trailer.” I was just wondering why?:dontknow: It seems to me that the whole idea of the cruise control was to CRUISE while on a trip, and that trip would include pulling a trailer. I know Fred has put over 6 K miles on his RT with trailer. What are your thoughts about this?

NancysToy
12-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Standard lawyer language, IMO. My Ford F-150 SuperCab has the same warning. Like on wet roads and in inclement weather, using it is at your own risk.

Roaddog2
12-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Standard lawyer language, IMO. My Ford F-150 SuperCab has the same warning. Like on wet roads and in inclement weather, using it is at your own risk.:agree:

Freditor
12-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding, guys. I just saw this message today.

I actually had never noticed that disclaimer in the Owner's Manual, but would have to agree it is a lawyer's "cover your ass" statement. I have used the cruise control extensively while towing the trailer - probably in excess of 8,000 miles worth - with no problems at all. Naturally, with an extra 500 lbs. behind the bike, the cruise is slower to respond on an uphill pull, and tends to overrun a bit on downhills, but never so much that it was a problem.
Fred

AntelopeSpyder
12-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the update Fred!!