PDA

View Full Version : Sound level limit in FL

docdoru
12-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Sound level limit: Speed 35 mph or less: 78 db A (82 db A for speed over 35 mph).
"Sound level" means the A-weighted sound pressure level measured with fast response using an instrument complying with the specification for sound level meters of the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or its successor bodies, except that only A-weighting and fast dynamic response need be provided.
MEASUREMENT PROCEDURES: The measurement procedures may include adjustment factors to be applied to the noise limit for measurement distances of other than 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel.

XXX 74
12-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I got to ask...

based on what you wrote, Do they have to measure the sound 50 feet away?

Im going to measure the sound on my Spyder this weekend... Im curious...

NancysToy
12-09-2009, 08:59 AM
It is a shame that they did not adopt the new SAE J2825 standard being recommended by the AMA (http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=995). Until noise laws and measuring techniques are standardized, there will always be problems with unequal enforcement.

FANG
12-09-2009, 10:51 AM
So Doc -- does this mean I need to find a muffler quieter than the stock pipe? :gaah:

docdoru
12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
So Doc -- does this mean I need to find a muffler quieter than the stock pipe? :gaah:
No, at 50 feet stock and Hindle are OK (based on my measurement). :thumbup:

Roaddog2
12-09-2009, 12:21 PM
What did you say :joke:

Sarge707
12-09-2009, 12:28 PM
No, at 50 feet stock and Hindle are OK (based on my measurement). :thumbup:
Why?? does BRP say on the Hindle AD (Only for closed course racing, NOT for Street use and then it quotes some regulation and implies stiff fines???:yikes:

sabunim5
12-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Why?? does BRP say on the Hindle AD (Only for closed course racing, NOT for Street use and then it quotes some regulation and implies stiff fines???:yikes:

The Hindle does not pose a noise problem. It is not legal for street use because it does not meet emissions requirements. The stock unit has a catalytic converter and the Hindle does not. It is actually surprising that a dealer will install one, as they could also be fined. Not very likely, but possible. In states that monitor tailpipe emissions the stock pipe is the only one likely to pass any testing regime. nojoke

Firefly
12-09-2009, 12:55 PM
My dealer wouldn't install my hindle--- but it's easy to do. The hindle is really tame compared to most other pipes on the market.

I love mine!

boborgera
12-09-2009, 01:44 PM
It is a shame that they did not adopt the new SAE J2825 standard being recommended by the AMA (http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=995). Until noise laws and measuring techniques are standardized, there will always be problems with unequal enforcement.

:agree::agree: Also i would recommend to every one on this forum to become a member of the AMA, After all it's our rights there looking after'''

sabunim5
12-09-2009, 04:33 PM
:agree::agree: Also i would recommend to every one on this forum to become a member of the AMA, After all it's our rights there looking after'''

+1 coming from a Life AMA member :2thumbs:

retread
12-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Does this noise limit include radios? I've had people pull up beside me with audio systems that drowned out the Harleys on the other side.

john

boborgera
12-09-2009, 05:21 PM
The Hindle does not pose a noise problem. It is not illegal for street use because it does not meet emissions requirements. The stock unit has a catalytic converter and the Hindle does not. It is actually surprising that a dealer will install one, as they could also be fined. Not very likely, but possible. In states that monitor tailpipe emissions the stock pipe is the only one likely to pass any testing regime. nojoke

:agree::agree:

SpyderWolf
12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
An interesting question came to mind when reading this.

South Carolina has no noise limit laws whatsoever for motorcycle pipes, so a lot of the Harley riders run straight pipes. We run Hindles and are not worried about them being too loud. However, if one of my Harley friends were to go to Florida with us could he get a ticket for the loud pipes on his out of state bike?

Roaddog2
12-09-2009, 08:47 PM
An interesting question came to mind when reading this.

South Carolina has no noise limit laws whatsoever for motorcycle pipes, so a lot of the Harley riders run straight pipes. We run Hindles and are not worried about them being too loud. However, if one of my Harley friends were to go to Florida with us could he get a ticket for the loud pipes on his out of state bike?Yepper been there done that that is how they put money in there coffers :gaah:

SpyderWolf
12-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Yepper been there done that that is how they put money in there coffers :gaah:

Thanks for the info on that. I will need to tell him about this before we make the trip. ;)

LDFIREWORKS
12-09-2009, 09:15 PM
doc we are not in some fag state like new york here in the sunshine state anything go's :clap::clap::clap::2thumbs::2thumbs: even wearing leathers with nothing under them ask forest

docdoru
12-09-2009, 09:29 PM
...even wearing leathers with nothing under them ask forest
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/brcvbdnthd--That's-HotParis-Hilton-Ringtones-The-Simple-Life-Popular-