PDA

View Full Version : Can-Am does some things right, others not so much

vito1943
05-23-2024, 04:36 PM
I love my RT and have never regretted buying it. I prefer the ride to my last ride, a Goldwing. But Can-Am needs to do better with some things. BRP sucks and a foolproof Apple Car Play should be standard. A better designed gas tank is needed. Yesterday the pump clicked with 3.0 gallons put it in. Slowly adding my fuel, very slowly got me to 4.6 gallons added. But normally I do not want to be standing at the pump for 10 minutes just to have a full tank. And the gauges which show mpg are a total joke. Finally, with as awkward as it is to check the tire pressure in the rear, for what a Spyder costs we should have a built-in TPMS system.

BajaRon
05-23-2024, 04:38 PM
At the next board meeting, I'm voting you in as new CEO! (And other pipe dreams...)

Jesster72
05-24-2024, 10:18 AM
At the next board meeting, I'm voting you in as new CEO! (And other pipe dreams...)

LOL!! :roflblack:

Vito, I agree with your points and would add, a little better fit and finsh would be nice. But...... my S2S is by far the best touring rig I've owned, and when people ask, I tell them if they are still making them when I'm in the market, my next bike will be a Spyder too. The only other bike I said that about was my Victory's.

AndysF3S
05-24-2024, 12:01 PM
I love my RT and have never regretted buying it. I prefer the ride to my last ride, a Goldwing. But Can-Am needs to do better with some things. BRP sucks and a foolproof Apple Car Play should be standard. A better designed gas tank is needed. Yesterday the pump clicked with 3.0 gallons put it in. Slowly adding my fuel, very slowly got me to 4.6 gallons added. But normally I do not want to be standing at the pump for 10 minutes just to have a full tank. And the gauges which show mpg are a total joke. Finally, with as awkward as it is to check the tire pressure in the rear, for what a Spyder costs we should have a built-in TPMS system.

I bought the F3S last July and I don't use the phone app or a communicator at all, the gas tank is what it is but over filling it to the top may get you evap problems down the road and I don't plan on getting a TPMS system. I prefer the KISS system so the less electronics on the dash the happier I am. JMO and I appreciate that opinions differ.

BertRemington
05-24-2024, 05:27 PM
Yesterday the pump clicked with 3.0 gallons put it in. Slowly adding my fuel, very slowly got me to 4.6 gallons added.Try another gas station, preferably with older pumps. The newest Shell pumps won't even let me start the fill. Besides the folks at older stations are more "interesting" especially weekend evenings.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-24-2024, 09:56 PM
I bought the F3S last July and I don't use the phone app or a communicator at all, the gas tank is what it is but over filling it to the top may get you evap problems down the road and I don't plan on getting a TPMS system. I prefer the KISS system so the less electronics on the dash the happier I am. JMO and I appreciate that opinions differ.

I have been filling my 14 RT to the MAX for 80,000 + mi. and my EVAP system is fine .... BRP came up with a better pipe/hose routing so what used to be a problem can't happen now .....JMHO ...Mike :thumbup:

Woodenfish
05-24-2024, 11:43 PM
When I have to fill up my car with gas I carry along and fill my 5-1/2 gallon gas can to bring home to fully top off the Spyders. It’s a lot less hassle especially when I’m filling two for a long ride.

PMK
05-25-2024, 04:09 AM

Interesting topic and words.
It seems Apple Car Play for Spyders is for the immediate future, possibly forever, a no go from the oem.
As for adding fuel, ours is a 2014 RTS, and like Mike, the Blueknight, each time adding fuel it is topped off. Never yet had any issues of a full tank causing concerns or problems. Will add though, that for safety I no longer run an oem fuel cap, so our Spyder has utilized the oem vent system and the secondary system within the aftermarket fuel cap.
Regarding getting the fuel in the tank, yes, old style fuel pump nozzles without a fume recovery setup work best for Spyders. Newer style fuel pump nozzles with fume recovery do not allow adding more than a couple gallons. That certainly is an inconvenience that Can Am should address for all Spyders since they began producing Spyders. Myself, I designed and fabricated an adapter that lets the modern style fuel dispensing nozzle work far better when adding fuel to a Spyder. Not as easy or simple as old style fuel dispensing nozzles filling a Spyder, but does work to fill the tank as it should.
As for TPMS, as simply a motorcycle safety feature, notifying of a low tire, or tire with a puncture, yes, that system would be a benefit. Myself though, I remain indifferent about my own vehicles having TPMS. My 2010 Toyota Tacoma years ago had the TPMS sensors act up from failed batteries. Ever since, yes, the little light is on, but ignored. Before driving give a quick walk around, just like old school. Regarding the Spyder, focusing on the rear tire, yes it is an inconvenience to check pressure, or add air, but not that bad. I realize I am younger than most here, so the task is a non issue physically. Still run a stock oem valve stem, but use a temporary 6” extender that eases access of checking pressures, or adding air if needed.

There was mention of the MPG indicator having concerns, our Spyder being the older style with analog appearing center display does not display mpg. While no year of Spyder has been perfect, based on informal data, the 2014 RT series tends to demonstrate being the best Energizer Bunny model and year, provided the DESS is updated to the newest DESS module, or DESS is disabled.

JayBros
05-25-2024, 08:19 AM
I prefer the KISS system so the less electronics on the dash the happier I am. JMO and I appreciate that opinions differ.

Bull's-Eye!!! That's why I'm going to ride mine as long as it will possibly go.

Peter Aawen
05-25-2024, 08:33 AM
I prefer the KISS system so the less electronics on the dash the happier I am. JMO and I appreciate that opinions differ.

Bull's-Eye!!! That's why I'm going to ride mine as long as it will possibly go.

Ditto! That's why I'm still riding my 2013 RT Ltd too!! :ohyea:

Now that the Heat Recall has been done & it's also had a 'magic wand' waved over the ECU, there's very little in the way of the 'new dash's' and all the useless and unwanted by me digital fripperies that BRP's come out with since that make me think even for a second that'd I'd upgrade for that!! :lecturef_smilie:

AndysF3S
05-25-2024, 10:25 AM
I am aware that you can continue to fill the tank after the pump kicks off at the bottom of the baffle but from the Can am perspective they are trying to reduce evaporative emissions and the risk of spillage of the gasoline from over filling the tank. The empty space at the top allows room for expansion so that if you top fill the tank and park the Spyder for lunch or whatever the risk of overflow is eliminated as well as the risk of fire from the spillage dripping onto the hot engine right below the tank.

In the Skidoo world the baffle insert looks similar and has been known to disappear but there have been reports of a few burn downs while fueling at the gas pump. I haven't heard of any burndowns of Spyders or Rykers while fueling.

Bottom line its your Spyder and its your choice to top fill or not.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-25-2024, 11:37 AM
I am aware that you can continue to fill the tank after the pump kicks off at the bottom of the baffle but from the Can am perspective they are trying to reduce evaporative emissions and the risk of spillage of the gasoline from over filling the tank. The empty space at the top allows room for expansion so that if you top fill the tank and park the Spyder for lunch or whatever the risk of overflow is eliminated as well as the risk of fire from the spillage dripping onto the hot engine right below the tank.

In the Skidoo world the baffle insert looks similar and has been known to disappear but there have been reports of a few burn downs while fueling at the gas pump. I haven't heard of any burndowns of Spyders or Rykers while fueling.

Bottom line its your Spyder and its your choice to top fill or not.

However that AIR POCKET is still there, even if you add another 1.35 gal. and thereby filling the tank to the lip ..... I don't fill my gas tank at home, I fill it while out riding.... It's never completely full when I park it in my garage .... out of the sun .... JMHO ... and you are entitled to yours .....Mike :thumbup:

AndysF3S
05-25-2024, 12:28 PM
However that AIR POCKET is still there, even if you add another 1.35 gal. and thereby filling the tank to the lip ..... I don't fill my gas tank at home, I fill it while out riding.... It's never completely full when I park it in my garage .... out of the sun .... JMHO ... and you are entitled to yours .....Mike :thumbup:

I give you the last word, a full tank to the brim still has the air pocket???

BajaRon
05-25-2024, 12:46 PM
I remember riding motorcycles with no gas gauge at all. No GPS, no TPMS, no accessory panel, parking brake, ABS, or any storage at all. You got a headlight, horn, and speedo. A tach was an amazing luxury in those days. And yet we managed to survive. In some ways, those were better days.

BajaRon
05-25-2024, 12:48 PM
I give you the last word, a full tank to the brim still has the air pocket???

Yes, you cannot fully eliminate the air pocket because it is above the bottom of the fill neck on the tank. You can, however, make it smaller and trade fuel for air. As you can see, the 998 gas tank cannot be fully filled with fuel as the tank extends above the fill hole. The neck of the fill hole also extends below the surface of the tank. Even if you put the fill nozzle flush with the fill hole, it will auto-shutoff long before the fuel reaches that level. You must do a slow fill to get the fuel flush with the bottom of the fill neck. After that, fuel will simply overflow the fill neck if you keep going. It can never occupy the air space above the bottom of the fill neck.

The angle of the picture makes it appear that there isn't much space above the bottom of the neck. A straight and level picture would give a better idea of how much air space remains even if you diligently top off. But for those who just stick the nozzle in and quit when it shuts off, you're losing at least 1 gallon, if not more, fuel capacity.

This picture also reveals why some Spyders were smelling like raw fuel and a few burned to the ground. Look at how low the vent relief fitting is. It comes off and a hard, close 90 degrees and the vent hose goes horizontal for a short distance and then straight down to the evap canister. Normal sloshing even with a non-topped off fuel tank can easily force raw fuel into that system and down into the evap canister which is only designed to handle vapor, not liquid.

This is why I eliminated my evap canister and rerouted the vent hose to eliminate the potential problem. The 1330 fuel tank has a larger air pocket and a re-engineered vent system which has corrected this. I would guess that this is at least some of the reason why the big difference between fill capacity and total volume in the current gas tanks.

2dogs
05-25-2024, 01:00 PM
It's the young up'starts and some ol'farts who want the newest techie stuff. I relish the wind in my face and the feeling of freedom when I ride. If it wasn't for the need of that dam 3rd wheel, I would've never bought a spyder. JMHO

BajaRon
05-25-2024, 01:18 PM
It's the young up'starts and some ol'farts who want the newest techie stuff. I relish the wind in my face and the feeling of freedom when I ride. If it wasn't for the need of that dam 3rd wheel, I would've never bought a spyder. JMHO

Yes, I am windshield adverse myself. My car has a windshield. If I want one, I drive that. I know I'm in the minority on this. As I seem to be on many other issues. Enjoyment means different things to different people. It's as simple as that.

Albec
05-26-2024, 10:36 AM

Yes, I am windshield adverse myself. My car has a windshield. If I want one, I drive that. I know I'm in the minority on this. As I seem to be on many other issues. Enjoyment means different things to different people. It's as simple as that.

Wind in your face is one thing, a BIG ole junebug is another. I like wind, don't like welts on my face, or worse.

I'll take the windshield along with the visor from my helmet thank you.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP on the TPMS. At this price point the tire monitor system should be built in and included. My 2008 Kawasaki has a great OEM system inside the wheels and on the dash.

Why a 16-year-old $11k bike has OEM TPMS but a $28k Spyder does not, I don't understand.

2dogs
05-26-2024, 11:07 AM
Why....
a 16-year-old $11k bike has OEM TPMS but a $28k Spyder does not, I don't understand.

What's not to understand? It's the bean counter thing. Keep costs down and profits up and we all fall for it. I did, you did, we all did. The Spyder will never be one of the top 3 machines I've ever owned. It just became a necessity if I wanted to continue riding. It could've just as easily been a Tri-Glide, but my wife felt safer on the Spyder. It's the feel of freedom, the wind in the face, and the junebug that comes free with all of them, but it's the bells and whistles that make the sale.

vito1943
05-26-2024, 11:22 AM
As to wind in the face, I feel more of that (in a way) on my windscreen equipped Spyder than I do on my naked Royal Enfield Hunter 350. The windscreen on the Spyder is quite effective, enough so that I feel comfortable riding with my modular helmet's chin bar in the fully raised position. This gives me a comfortable mix of air in my face without much worry about June bugs and the like. On my Royal Enfield, there is nothing to block the wind so I feel I need to keep the helmet in the fully closed position, with the visor fully down or close to it. Oddly, I feel more exposed to the elements on the Spyder, windscreen and all, than I do on the little Royal Enfield thumper.