PDA

View Full Version : Speaker install question...

SpyderGirl
12-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Okay, now I don't have pictures up yet but I do have a question for anyone around who might know a little more about stereo and speaker installs than I do...

So I have installed my amplfier (160w Jensen) and ran my speaker wires to the respective speakers (four 50w speakers) HOWEVER I had to make two splices along the speaker wires going up to the front. I used soder and soderless connectors to make the connections using 18 gauge gold speaker wire. When I tested the system initially I was getting a lot of static and feedback on the speakers. Once I moved the power wire to the amp away from the speaker wires it improved quite a bit, but still not great. I also have installed an in-line noise filter on the power wire with no noticeable change.

My question is, is there something I can do with the connections I made on the speaker wire I used that can clean up the signal and give me a cleaner sound?

Thanks in advance for the advice. :2thumbs:

MadDogMN
12-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Solder the connections and then insulate them. Static can come from almost anywhere. it can be coming from your connections, your amp and so on. If you have any part of the system in a magnetic field it can cause static. Such as near your plug wires near your Hd lights, any unshielded power source can cause static in your sterio system. I don't know how well the electrical system in the Spyder is shielded but I'll bet not real well. You need to make sure none of your system is near unshielded power sources.

SpyderGirl
12-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Solder the connections and then insulate them. Static can come from almost anywhere. it can be coming from your connections, your amp and so on. If you have any part of the system in a magnetic field it can cause static. Such as near your plug wires near your Hd lights, any unshielded power source can cause static in your sterio system. I don't know how well the electrical system in the Spyder is shielded but I'll bet not real well. You need to make sure none of your system is near unshielded power sources.

Okay. Is there something I can put on the wires to shield them? The wires are running from the rear, underneath the seat, and behind the gauge cluster.

bjt
12-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Do you have the amp and receiver grounded? Being there is so much plastic on the Spyder, there is a chance that the cases for either device are mounted on plastic, hence, not grounded. An ungrounded case can allow electrical noise into the system. Just crimp a terminal on two ends of a piece of wire and stick one of the terminals under any of the mounting screws, touching the case, and attach the other terminal to ground. I had a high power stereo that was "professionally" installed, they didn't ground the case and mounted it to a plastic surface. My system had a lot of noise until I ran a ground wire to the case.

If you wanted to shield your speaker wires, there is a wire braid out there that you could run the wires through and the solder a ground wire to one end of the braid (or leave a long tail of the braid past the wires and crimp a solderless terminal on it) and attach that to ground. I can't think of a specific place to buy the wire braid but I know it's out there.

COOLMACHINE
12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Hello spydergirl. I know I have PM's you before. Anyway, I am a member of a Polk Audio forum with a bunch of knowledgeable people in it. I forwarded your Post to that forum to see if I can get any answers for you. It might be best for you to go to the forum yourself to read the possible solutions.
go to Polkaudio.com
click on the word Forum. (not the drop down menu. Just forum.
Go to car audio & electronics.
The post is labeled, " a question from another forum.
Hope this might be of help to you.

COOLMACHINE
12-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Here's one reply so far: :)

All the speaker wires should be as far as possible from power lines.

The ground connection should be as clean as possible, actually the ground from the Head Unit and the amps should go to the same location.

Ask her to try the stereo without starting the egine and see if it is better.

Sometimes the noise comes from the alternator.

COOLMACHINE
12-04-2009, 10:20 PM
And one other:This guy is the Car Stereo Guru here on the Polk Forums. :)

Static means a bad connection either with the speaker wires or the ground of the amp. Take a speaker out of the rig and wire it straight to the amp. If the noise is gone she needs to re-run the speaker wires because the splices are causing the problem. If the noise persists then check the ground and make sure its solid and secure.

brutus450
12-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I used to install high end car systems. Do not run any wires (speaker or RCA cables) parrallel with ANY power wires - shielded or not. The best sheilded wires can pick up noise if ran parellel with power wires. If a wire has to cross a power wire make sure it's crosses at a 90 degree angle. Also like others said - make sure your amp and deck are grounded really good. Use an existing screw to the frame and make sure that you sand the paint off the frame where the connection is (bear metal to bear metal) - the paint will prohibit a proper ground - the screw is not enough. If done right, you should not need to use filters or sheilds. Your soldered connections should not be causing the noise - look elsewhere. Very seldom will the speaker wires themselves pick up noise - most likely your problem is that the RCA cables are picking up the noise or amp/deck is not grounded well.

Also try different locations for the ground wire - different locations will make a difference - BUT also try and make sure your ground wire is short as possible. Also use the largest gauge wire as possible for the ground wire.

SpyderGirl
12-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Great stuff! Yeah I have the power wire away from the speaker wires. I will shorten the ground wire and check the connections to the front speakers. The speakers are wired directly to the amp, not the control unit.

I ran the system with the engine off and the static only seems to come up when I crank the volume up.

Thanks for all of the advice!!! :2thumbs: