PDA

View Full Version : is there anyone in SW Georgia/SE Alabama who has BUDS?

Dan T
04-13-2024, 04:03 PM
Is there anyone in SW Georgia/SE Alabama with BUDS that can deactivate DESS on my 2011 RTS?

Snowbelt Spyder
04-13-2024, 04:36 PM
Is there anyone in SW Georgia/SE Alabama with BUDS that can deativate DESS on my 2011 RTS.

Sorry Dan. You can’t deactivate DESS on a 2011. Only 2014 and newer. Why? Is something going on now, or just looking ahead for prevention of future problems. You can rest easy, though. That first version (yours) of DESS was pretty bullet proof. No issues with it.

Dan T
04-13-2024, 06:56 PM
I am getting a bad key message and it has gone into limp mode. I can mess with the key and it will finally see the key and start.

Snoking1127
04-13-2024, 07:54 PM
I am getting a bad key message and it has gone into limp mode. I can mess with the key and it will finally see the key and start.

Do both keys have the issue?

Snowbelt Spyder
04-14-2024, 06:43 AM

Well, of course you don't want to have your phone next to the key when trying to start. but DESS doesn't put you into Limp Mode. It just prevents a start. Are you certain the it is Limp Mode? If so, you might have a broader and simpler electrical issue going on and Bad Key is just a red herring. Start with the battery and connections, the ground under the seat, and check if you have any codes. As stated, check the other key if you have one.

Dan T
04-14-2024, 08:31 AM
Both keys have the same results and there are not any codes. This started after I washed the bike. I just got it out of the shop last week for a brake flush.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-14-2024, 12:54 PM
Both keys have the same results and there are not any codes. This started after I washed the bike. I just got it out of the shop last week for a brake flush.

:agree: with Snowbelt .... interesting that AFTER you washed it this issue appeared..... Although Spyders are capable of riding or parking in the rain, there are areas that are sensitive to water, or more importantly, water PRESSURE .... since '09 I've owned (and maintained) Three Spyders, none of them EVER had an issue related to water. If you have a leaf blower or even just a house fan, get it into the sun and see if drying it out will end this issue .... Also, if you don't use STAR washers on the Battery connections, I advise getting some and using them .... good luck ...Mike :thumbup: