PDA

View Full Version : What should I be aware of for the PA Skills Test at the DMV?

Scottncol
04-02-2024, 10:16 AM
I currently have my PA MC permit but want to take my 3-wheel driver's skill test on my Spyder at my local DMV (Chippewa, PA).

I am not able to go to the free testing facility that is in Pittsburgh. So, I am just wanting to take my test at the DMV, similar to taking the test in a vehicle. I understand that taking the course will get me the three wheel endorsement but again, not interested in that.

Has anyone done this? I am looking to find out what I should be aware of that is on the driving test? What should I be testing?

Figure 8's. Sudden stop? Location of turn signals, horn, etc.

Thanks in advance!

ARtraveler
04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
I think your best answer would be to give the DMV a call and ask them what is on the test. Then, you will have no surprises.

The good thing is that with three wheels you are not going to fall over or mess up if you have to drive the obstacle course through the cones. Just don't kill your Spyder on the "quick stop."

Good luck on the test. :yes:

JimH
04-02-2024, 08:23 PM
I currently have my PA MC permit but want to take my 3-wheel driver's skill test on my Spyder at my local DMV (Chippewa, PA).

I am not able to go to the free testing facility that is in Pittsburgh. So, I am just wanting to take my test at the DMV, similar to taking the test in a vehicle. I understand that taking the course will get me the three wheel endorsement but again, not interested in that.

Has anyone done this? I am looking to find out what I should be aware of that is on the driving test? What should I be testing?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Scottncol:

If you can take the Pa. motorcycle safety course (it's free in Pa.) when you graduate you get a motorcycle license. Great class - you learn a lot and get the license.
Jim

Snoking1127
04-02-2024, 10:39 PM
I took the course in Arizona and Washington would not honor it, so just took the Washington course and walking in a couple days later and they had received my info from the class an put the endorsement on my DL. Az gives you a card, and you can go straight to the DMV and have the endorsement add. Last year at the time I became an Arizona Resident and they carried my endorsement over to my DL here. I thought both course were good, and Washington's included side car. One is never to old to learn!

JohnRuckus
04-03-2024, 09:32 AM

Thanks in advance!

Check the local DDS/DMV website. There is probably an online copy of the study material. That should give you an idea of what to prepare for.

LongIsland
04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
Why not go to the skills test location and observe the testing procedures.

Scottncol
04-03-2024, 12:35 PM
Thanks everyone... I guess I am looking for someone with experience taking the test in PA who can tell me what it was like.

Appreciate all of your suggestions.

Scott

Check the local DDS/DMV website. There is probably an online copy of the study material. That should give you an idea of what to prepare for.

Why not go to the skills test location and observe the testing procedures.

Good ideas. However, they RARELY do 3-wheel bikes and the test is much different for these.

Schecknas
04-03-2024, 12:55 PM
Scottncol,
I'm taking the 3 wheel test soon so I can provide some feed back then. But I did find this video on YouTube from Purple On 3 they live in PA, hopefully this helps out some. It's a few years old, but should still be relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR8xlSToDDM

PMK
04-04-2024, 07:10 AM
The topic and replies seem a bit confusing.

Seems the person that created the topic stated he already has a motorcycle license endorsement for PA.

Does PA. require a three wheel endorsement also?

If they do not require a three wheel endorsement, why even bother attending the class or taking the test, seems a bit silly to do.

Schecknas
04-04-2024, 08:03 AM
It is a bit confusing. So in PA you have a "M" license that allows you to operate 2/3 wheel motorcycles, and then you have a "M9" license that will only allow you to operate a 3 wheel motorcycle.

But as the OP stated in the post they only have their PA Motorcycle Permit, which currently allows them to operate both 2 and 3 wheel motorcycles. But by taking the 3 wheel motorcycle test either at the DMV or via a course, it will add a "M9" restriction to your license that will only allow you to operate a 3 wheel motorcycle.

DMV site for anyone who is interested in seeing additional information.
https://www.dmv.pa.gov/pages/faq%20pages/motorcycle-permit-process-frequently-asked-questions.aspx

Schecknas
04-04-2024, 08:10 AM

Thanks in advance!

Here is another video I found on Youtube posted a few years back, of someone taking the DMV 3 Wheel Endorsement Test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43vLaEmnfsA

Scottncol
04-05-2024, 09:00 AM
The topic and replies seem a bit confusing.

Seems the person that created the topic stated he already has a motorcycle license endorsement for PA.

As stated in my first comment, "I currently have my PA MC permit "

PMK
04-05-2024, 03:42 PM
As stated in my first comment, "I currently have my PA MC permit "

My bad for believing that your PA motorcycle permit held similar status as here in Florida.
All the best with your tests and getting whatever endorsement it is you desire.

Scottncol
04-11-2024, 09:08 AM
Found the handbook.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sal30efvbi12tnw/3WRC%20Student%20Handbook%20V1.1%20no%20state%20la ws.pdf?dl=0

Scottncol
04-16-2024, 11:08 AM
Passed my skills test... no problem.

Schecknas
04-16-2024, 12:12 PM
That's awesome congrats.

ARtraveler
04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Passed my skills test... no problem.

:congrats: