PDA

View Full Version : New Owner of a 2022 Spyder RT - Trying to decide on navigation aids?

Asphalt Animal
03-17-2024, 06:59 PM
Been lurking for a while trying to learn about Spyders. I bought a new 2022 Spyder RT last week. Learned a lot about them from everyone here. Thanks.

Longtime motorcycle rider with back problems and weak legs, but still looking forward to many years of riding and traveling. I've already bought a trailer hitch, trailer light isolator, and a Backrest. Trying to decide what to do about navigation.

Thanks everyone!

Partzman23
03-17-2024, 09:16 PM
:welcome::congrats: on your new Spyder RTL
Welcome to the Spyder forum from SE Missouri
Ryde safe and enjoy the RYde

Dusterdude
03-18-2024, 02:59 AM
Welcome

safecracker
03-18-2024, 06:42 AM
A majority of ryders use Garmin Zumo XT. I know I like mine.

TroubledJuan
03-18-2024, 07:29 AM
Paper Maps! Like the rest I bought a Garmin Zumo XT for my 2022 and wired up and mounted it.
But when I travel, I still carry a old HD Road atlas. with me, there is still something about using a paper map I prefer.

JayBros
03-18-2024, 07:57 AM
Welcome! There is an OEM cable that runs rearward under your seat that is specifically a switched cable for a GPS. MY 2022 RT owners can be more specific about exact location on the right side of the Spyder if you are hunting for it. I've used a Garmin Zumo 590 since I purchased my roadster in 2014. The Zumo XT is the latest Garmin model and is slick, from what I've watched my touring partner do with it. I'm not a phone fan; it stays in my trunk and I use it only when not tooling down the road. Garmin also produces a free routing software package, BaseCamp, that has a pretty steep learning curve but can easily be used of one applies oneself to learning the program. There is a gent on Youtube, EZ Moto Tim, who has made an excellent, IMO, series of videos on learning BaseCamp from the ground up. He speaks clearly and concisely, and is very easy to understand. I agree with Juan too about paper maps. Butler motorcycle maps are an excellent product, particularly if one wants to tour off duller than dirt, and safer roads than interstates. One can also get lots of good tips from other SL participants about routes and not to be missed roads and attractions; all one has to do is ask. Good luck!

Snoking1127
03-18-2024, 08:09 AM
A majority of ryders use Garmin Zumo XT. I know I like mine.

Me Too!

EdMat
03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
The XT2 is the latest version. I have had the 590, the XT and multiple car units over the years. XT2 is defiantly on top.

BTW, Lamonster has it on sale right now for $100 off.

BajaRon
03-18-2024, 10:23 AM
Been lurking for a while trying to learn about Spyders. I bought a new 2022 Spyder RT last week. Learned a lot about them from everyone here. Thanks.

Longtime motorcycle rider with back problems and weak legs, but still looking forward to many years of riding and traveling. I've already bought a trailer hitch, trailer light isolator, and a Backrest. Trying to decide what to do about navigation.

Thanks everyone!

I know back in the day that 3 wheels were only considered as a last ditch option for those who could no longer ride 2 wheels. But the Spyder is way beyond this. It's a splendid ride in its own category of fun. I think you're going to be quite pleasantly surprised.

ARtraveler
03-18-2024, 12:04 PM
:welcome: and :congrats:

Leaping1
03-18-2024, 02:03 PM
Welcome from South Carolina!

ThreeWheels
03-18-2024, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the group. I'm sure you will enjoy your Spyder. It's a very comfortable ride, with almost every bell, whistle, gottz and gazoole known to mankind.
One small warning:
You can't ride a Spyder for any length of time and be the shy retiring type. People will come at you in a friendly way and ask you about your ride every time you stop for gas.
Some of their questions may seem foolish to you. I don't mean this as an insult, I'm sure you're a fine fellow, but please remember you are an ambassador for all of us.
There have been several threads on this forum detailing how some of our members have delighted in offering snarky responses to innocent questions that the member has felt was "stupid".
IMHO, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.

As to navigation, I prefer a stand-alone GPS like the Garmin Zumo XT.
Many people use their cell phones. BRP connect allows you to cast the navigation instructions to the dash panel, and throw the audible directions to the bike speakers, or bluetooth headset if you are so inclined.
There is one disadvantage to using your cell phone. You need to have both antennas connect at the same time.
One antenna connects to the GPS satellites to determine your geographical coordinates. This is generally reliable since the GPS satellites are overhead, unless you go through a tunnel.
The second antenna uses the cell towers and internet to convert the coordinates into a map position and determine the driving directions to your destination. If you are in an area of dodgy cell reception, the driving directions are also dodgy.
If you know you will be in an area of spotty cell reception, you can download the maps to your cell phone before you get there and you should be OK.

Again, welcome to the group. Good luck in sorting out all your questions.
Let us know how you make out.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

WRCLVR
03-19-2024, 08:07 AM
Yea I keep forgetting that you can download the maps and turn directions from Google Maps. That does work...

Regarding the people asking about the Spyder at every gas stop. ....cant say that as happened for me...I would not mind at all .....but we do get some looks as we have a 2023 Sea to Sky and a 2024 Sea to Sky

Asphalt Animal
03-19-2024, 11:44 AM
Yeah we also have a Slingshot that my wife claims, So we're used to attention at gas stops. I'm thinking i'm going to ignore all of the good advice on the Garmin and try a Carpuride Car Play. I've used the scenic app on my Goldwing for a few years and like how it works. Thanks everyone.

Asphalt Animal
03-20-2024, 08:24 AM
Thanks ned64 for the pm. I don't have permission to reply to pm's for some reason.

Peter Aawen
03-20-2024, 01:58 PM
Thanks ned64 for the pm. I don't have permission to reply to pm's for some reason.

Just had a quick look Asphalt, and that'll likely be because you didn't log-in here for an extended period after initially joining (it looks like the gap between you initially joining and your first posting here was something close to 7 years! :shocked: ) so your registration/account was effectively archived. It's a security/anti-spammer/anti-scammer thing... :sour:

You can get this fixed by using the 'Contact Us' link (down at the bottom of every page) to send a message to our Admin asking him to fix it for you, and maybe including your current/working email address, especially if there's any likelihood that it's different now to whatever you entered back when you first joined. :thumbup:

JayBros
03-20-2024, 02:22 PM
...Regarding the people asking about the Spyder at every gas stop. ....cant say that as happened for me...I would not mind at all .....but we do get some looks as we have a 2023 Sea to Sky and a 2024 Sea to Sky

It happens to me most every place I happen to stop if there are people around. And if I've doffed my helmet, the second question is most often, "How old are you?"

WRCLVR
03-20-2024, 03:35 PM
Yeah we also have a Slingshot that my wife claims, So we're used to attention at gas stops. I'm thinking i'm going to ignore all of the good advice on the Garmin and try a Carpuride Car Play. I've used the scenic app on my Goldwing for a few years and like how it works. Thanks everyone.Hey We have one too. 2019 SLR manual with Sparco appointments and bunch of mods including Thermal RnD Raptor roof system...~2900 miles on her so just getting started..lol

Asphalt Animal
03-20-2024, 07:30 PM
Thank you Peter.

Asphalt Animal
03-20-2024, 07:33 PM
Ours is a 2021 SL with all of the R options with the 5 speed std transmission. We have about 18000 miles on it. A lot of fun.

ff73148
03-20-2024, 07:44 PM
Go to Lamonster buy the splitter cable that plugs into the wiring harness and get a Garmin XT. Get a Bluetooth unit on your helmet. The Garmin acts as a switchboard for all functions. Better than using the BPR app.

JohnRuckus
03-20-2024, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the Spyderverse!

Copperman
03-20-2024, 10:46 PM
You're in luck. The Garmin XT and XT2 are on sale. Check with Lamonster Garage.

DickB
03-21-2024, 07:21 PM
Garmin Zumo for sure.

MRH
03-21-2024, 11:39 PM
I have a larger iPhone and mount it in the center of my handlebars and manage all my navigation from there.

SLemmons
03-21-2024, 11:42 PM
The Garmin Zumo is your best choice. If you are short on funds, using your phone with the Waze app is the next very good route. You have the choice in the setup to avoid interstates and toll roads and a few other options.

tntnj
03-23-2024, 08:13 AM
I bought a Garmin 396 several years ago, although many feel you don't need a GPS and they use their phone, there are some places you don't have cell service. So I would suggest both, your phone and a Garmin GPS.

MarkN
03-24-2024, 08:05 PM
I mounted CarPlay on my 22 RTL and mostly run scenic off my iPhone. This way I can pretty much use what my phone has.

ned64
03-24-2024, 08:30 PM

Thanks

Anytime, and you need to get up here and finish riding through these couple of states for your map. If you do get here let me know and I'll ride with you if you like. Nathan in Yakima, WA.

CloverHillCrawler
03-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Welcome and congrats on the new spyder, I just use my android phone and a combination of Rever, Google Maps and Waze. Each one has their own use for me.

If in a Rush or travelling at higher speeds on the highway, I use waze for the crowdsourcing reports although waze is in it's twilight and google is slowly killing it off by removing features one by one or not fixing bugs in a timely manner.

If not in a rush and don't need to stick to one route I use google maps for real time traffic updates and routing.

If I am going on a planned route and don't want that route to change I use Rever and use the follow a route line feature plus Rever Pro version will give you the choice of a weather radar overlay so you can see if you have rain on the route ahead of you.

I will also split screen android and have Waze running in one window and My radar running in another if rain is expected.