PDA

View Full Version : Phantom

Amanda B
11-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Well...I decided to go phantom, kit should arrive in a week or so. How difficult will it be to put it on?? I still can't decide on what floorboards to get...but I'm hoping to have the bike more comfortable for longer rides next season.

Trickie Dick
11-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Hey Amanda. :congrats: on the new skins. Check out the black front wheels on ebay to go with. Also for sale on spyder lovers. Installation should be fairly easy. Need a t30 torex bit to remove the skins. Much easier with a power driver or dremel. It's also pretty easy to take the front fenders off if you take the wheels off first. I haven't taken the rear fender off so I can't help you there. Post a pic when you get it done. I really like the solid black.
See you next spring.
Dick

Longlegs
11-29-2009, 10:29 PM
The rear fender was only a pain because I didnt want to cut and splice the license plate bulb wires. I ended up taking the light clear apart and spent about the same amount of time as the other two guys did changing out the hood fenders and centre piece. I am really liking my isci boards. Have you seen a bike with these on yet?

Amanda B
11-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I guess I'll be buying some more tools! I have already cut the wires for back running light once, and have a new one to replace it, hopefully that will help some. I haven't seen those floorboards in person, but my understanding is you have to so something with the brake, get a part to move it forward or something, so I'm not sure if I like that idea...it is one that I am debating about though. I guess for that much money, I'd like to try it out or see it first. I'm still debating about the seat too...I liked the Russell, but now I'm thinking maybe Corbin with a smugglers trunk for extra storage space. I think at this rate...I'll be broke soon, but at least I'll have fun doing it. I definitely plan to do more riding and meeting up with people next spring!

NewRider
12-03-2009, 11:21 PM
In all candor...I've always wondered if Phantom riders have a death wish. I've always felt: the brighter the color, the more visible to cage drivers.:dontknow:

Amanda B
12-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I put the kit on today...the fenders were a pain, but now it is black. No death wish here...gonna put all kinds of lights on eventually and I have a loud pipe. It doesn't matter what color the bike is, people don't see you...found that out many times. Black is cool!!

woodz428
12-04-2009, 08:54 PM
In all candor...I've always wondered if Phantom riders have a death wish. I've always felt: the brighter the color, the more visible to cage drivers.:dontknow:
I don't think color helps. I painted a Honda 500 four cylinder I was riding in the early 70s, school bus yellow because it was determined to have the highest visibilty under ALL weather conditions....I still had the morons pull out in front of me. It had a Vetter Windjammer also painted yellow. You can't fix stupid or oblivious.

Trickie Dick
12-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I bet it looks great. People will notice the lights way before they see the color. Your right; black is cool. Look forward to seeing it. :congrats:
Dick

Amanda B
12-06-2009, 07:43 AM
I wanted to make sure I posted the color change so that next season when I meet up people will expect a black :spyder2: instead of red.

NancysToy
12-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Ride whatever color you like best. Red is actually not much more visible than black, and is virtually the same when the light dims. I do like the high visibility colors like yellow, but it is really only other bikers that seem to notice them. It has been shown that the color of the bike matters little (although the larger Spyder may be an exception). Heck, people even run into the side of fire trucks painted Dupont hi-vis yellow.

A hi-vis helmet attracts the most attention, and a hi-vis jacket the second best defense, according to recent studies. Loud clothes do, indeed, save lives. It seems to be a combination of the color, plus movement of your arms and head in directions other than the vehicle that get peoples' attention. Glad you got the panels that will make you happy. I'm looking forward to my black RT-S myself.

Amanda B
12-06-2009, 01:00 PM
So, I wiped it down with Ice Wax for plastics that doesn't leave any white residue...what do you use to clean it...I'm used to painted stuff. I have one of the G-Max helmets that has the blinking LED lights on the back, I have found it seems useful when it's dark. I tend to go for flashy jackets and helmets anyway. What about the Glo Ryders or whatever they are called on the wheels, are they useful?

NewRider
12-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Hopefully, everyone understood that. I've been toying with buying one of those gorgeous heat-applied decal packages for my yellow SE5. However, I have no skill with using one of those heat guns, coupled with an early case of hereditary tremblitis. (Thanks Dad and Grandpa...):sour:

If I opt for one...after figuring out which most closely matched my Spyder, I may squawk for help applying it next Spring...:f_spider:

I also wear hi-vis colors garments...including a hi-glo yellow t-shirt with huge letters on the back, stating "Can You See Me Now *******?":joke:

Spyder stored now, until Spring...whimper, whimper, whine...whine...

NewRider
12-07-2009, 06:24 PM
If you know anyone looking for a Phantom, without doing it themselves, there's a new 2009 Phantom sitting on the showroom floor, at Action Motor Sports, on Highway 38, in Lafayette...:f_spider:

NewRider
12-07-2009, 08:31 PM
What about the Glo Ryders or whatever they are called on the wheels, are they useful?

I've not seen them in person...only in pics. My initial impression is these are great for show display, or street cruising fun. Not sure about practicality.

Just remember: in Indiana, you may NOT use red, yellow or blue. These are strictly for use on emergency/law enforcement vehicles.:ani29:

Amanda B
12-07-2009, 09:26 PM
The glo riders will hopefully be a little more lighting for night time so that it will be more visible. A month or so ago I was riding home when it was getting dark and a guy pulled out in front of another car in the opposite lane, and for some reason no one saw me coming with the lights that I had on, and I had to use evasive tactics I didn't even know I had to survive. I just thought maybe glo rider lights would maybe be more noticable than the other lights.

Trickie Dick
12-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Amanda,
Tina(8legs) has the glo-ryders. You might check with her. Come to think of it, I havn't heard from her in awhile. Think I'll shoot her a pm tomorrow.
Dick

NewRider
12-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Well...I decided to go phantom, kit should arrive in a week or so. How difficult will it be to put it on?? I still can't decide on what floorboards to get...but I'm hoping to have the bike more comfortable for longer rides next season.

Hi, Amanda...dunno if you would be interested: the company making those nifty heat-blown add-on decal sets has a new one. It's called the "Gladiator", composed from varying shades of grey and black. Might make a nice add-on to your Phantom, someday. FWIW!:f_spider:

8LEGS
12-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I have the GlowRiders and love them. I ordered the billet with red lights. I leave them on glow .. if it's dark and the wheel is moving they turn on. I've had them for a while and I've rode to Michigan, Ohio, and all over Indiana with no problems from police. The officers I spoke to here in town didn't see any problem with them, so I'm not worried about it. I know the law is the law, but when I see cars going down the road with neon lights all over them and neon glow lighting up the road, my little lights on my wheel shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=64&pictureid=2331

Amanda B
12-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I was hoping the lights would just make it a little more visible. The picture looks nice. I was thinking of going orange, because though I just changed to the phantom black I kind of want to take my red panels and paint them a burnt orange at some point. So, are the Glo Ryders on in the day? Is there like a switch or something for them? How difficult are they to install?

8LEGS
12-12-2009, 11:43 PM
There is a small switch inside the unit. You have 2 options, show or glow; in show, they are always on, and glow, they are on when it is dark and you are moving.

Installation is fairly easy. Take the wheel off and follow the instructions.

Amanda B
12-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks! Sounds easy to put on. I looked at all the colors and they are all nice...so I'll debate color for a bit. It would be neat to have one that changes colors so I wouldn't have to decide on one.

Country Spyder
12-13-2009, 09:04 AM
what do you guys think about these for better visability?

https://www.motolight.com/pages/Gallery/images/58/896.jpg
Now these with fog lamps and headlights would really make you noticed!!

CS

Trickie Dick
12-13-2009, 11:20 AM
what do you guys think about these for better visability?

https://www.motolight.com/pages/Gallery/images/58/896.jpg
Now these with fog lamps and headlights would really make you noticed!!

CS

I do like those lights. Do you have the 35 watt or 50 watt? Where are they wired to? Someone on forum is a rep for those. Where did you get them?
Thanks, Dick

Country Spyder
12-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Haven't purchased them yet. Here is my earlier thread on them. Probably will put them on this summer.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13762

CS

ataDude
12-13-2009, 03:13 PM
I do like those lights. Do you have the 35 watt or 50 watt? Where are they wired to? Someone on forum is a rep for those. Where did you get them?
Thanks, Dick

Haven't purchased them yet. Here is my earlier thread on them. Probably will put them on this summer.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13762

CS

Mine from last year:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37703&postcount=2
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=2292

Amanda B
12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Are these the lights on Kewlmetal website?

Trickie Dick
12-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Are these the lights on Kewlmetal website?

Not the same. These are from https://www.motolight.com/index.php I think these are a little cheaper than the kewlmetal ones when all is said and done. But the Kewlmetal ones look good also.
Dick