PDA

View Full Version : Hello, you guys are making me nervous

RAL
11-28-2009, 10:42 PM
I have yet to take delivery of my new Phantom due to work but the deal is done and she waits at the dealer for me to pick up. Reading all the horror storys on here about HAL taking over and refusing to steer properly & poor dealer support have me second guessing the Spyder. How common are these problems? It it easy to get a twisted view on the net but the level of noise on here complaining would indicate that there may be some fire behind the smoke.

RAL

Smylinacha
11-28-2009, 10:49 PM
:congrats: on your Phantom! I love the Phantom!

Don't be nervous - what year did you get? Mine is an 08 sm5. I think from what I could tell on the forum and the NTSAy, is some of the steering stuff happens w/ the early model 08's - mine is an early model '08. I think my steering is all fixed now w/ the new DPS. Only thing - wish I knew what caused the problem in the first place. But don't be nervous - just get it and ryde it. Guess I'm a little gun shy because I worry alot about stuff in general.

I have yet to take delivery of my new Phantom due to work but the deal is done and she waits at the dealer for me to pick up. Reading all the horror storys on here about HAL taking over and refusing to steer properly & poor dealer support have me second guessing the Spyder. How common are these problems? It it easy to get a twisted view on the net but the level of noise on here complaining would indicate that there may be some fire behind the smoke.

RAL

BajaRon
11-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Hello, you guys are making me nervous

RAL

We do seem to be pretty good at that. A few have had serious problems. Af few more have had minor problems. But the huge majority are doing just fine.

The odds are with you, take delivery and ride with pride. If you do have any glitches take it right back to the dealer. Chances are you'll not need that last bit of advise.

Good luck and welcome

WackyDan
11-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Meh... Lots of us with little to no issues, just like most vehicles you own.

The threads on issues are notable in that the first place anyone with a Spyder issue will be these forums. The vast majority of Spyder issues actually will already have an answer/fix and you'll see much of that here. Personally, I'm glad to have such an experienced group of owners to bounce ideas off of and discuss our shared passion in the Spyder.

Never fear man... Just ryde it. welcome

jimclarkf1
11-29-2009, 01:44 AM
I think I'm one of the HUGE MAJORITY, that have had no ploblems, other than the 2 updates, and I will do more, if they say to. My 1st bike, had it 15 months now and 2,800 miles. it is an 08 (2766) There are so many guys and gals, willing to help with any problems:thumbup: HOPE THIS HELPS:2thumbs:

PCBeachBum
11-29-2009, 04:07 AM

RAL

RAL, My spyder is a '08 SM5 and was used as a demo, before I bought it w/about 260 miles on it in March 2009. It was one of the first spyder's my dealer got. After having the recall done, I started to get a message on my dash to "Check DPS". I took it back to the dealer and no codes came up. The dealer didn't know what this meant. My power steering unit was bad and was replaced the following week. Since having it replaced, I've put on over 1200 miles w/out a problem.

Most dealers and BRP are learning from the owner's and my dealer found out not to send another rider on his way, if that message is scrolling across the dash. Not everyone had that message and the computer picked up the DPS problem, after having the update done.

Not everyone has had a problem. Talking to a lady that works at the dealership, she bought one of the first spyder's delivered and hasn't had a problem with hers.

So don't be nervous about picking up your new ride. One thing you might have a problem w/is Smiling and getting to work. :D :congrats: on your new Phantom and welcome

fastfraser
11-29-2009, 07:39 AM
welcome:congrats: Glad to see you got the fastest color out there !! 2009 SE5 Phantom 11,000 trouble free miles in 6 months !!

Questions
11-29-2009, 08:15 AM
RAL I feel you on this one, I just got my spyder this week and with the weather in Ohio not the greatest I have just taken it out around the block a few times just trying to get a feel for it. I have been reading the forums and has had me nervous as well, I have been waiting for the bike to take over and make turns for me :roflblack: .. But I will say I have had nothing but a good time so far and I think as I get more comfortable with the bike it will only get better. These forums have helped with me with so much in a short time and I look forward to learning more each day from all of you. Thanks again guys and gals!
Very happy with my decision to get a :spyder: :thumbup:

RAL
11-29-2009, 08:17 AM
I am not faint of heart, my other ride is a ural, but the idea of my bike trying to pull me under a 18 wheeler gives me...pause. My Spyder is a 2009 manual shift. Can't wait to start rolling down the N Florida roads with it!
Thanks one and all for the replies.

RAL

BumbleBee
11-29-2009, 08:39 AM
welcome:congrats: Enjoy your new ryde and ryde safe!!!

I am a owner of a SE5 for 5 1/2 months now. Had my updates and groundwire done, otherwise the usuall service. Trouble free :thumbup:

The only problem you are going to have with the spyder "Is answering all the questions about your spyder", be preparred. :thumbup:

The only arguement I have is with "fastfraser", the yellow spyder is the fastest color out there :roflblack::ohyea::spyder2::yes:

BumbleBee
11-29-2009, 08:40 AM
RAL I feel you on this one, I just got my spyder this week and with the weather in Ohio not the greatest I have just taken it out around the block a few times just trying to get a feel for it. I have been reading the forums and has had me nervous as well, I have been waiting for the bike to take over and make turns for me :roflblack: .. But I will say I have had nothing but a good time so far and I think as I get more comfortable with the bike it will only get better. These forums have helped with me with so much in a short time and I look forward to learning more each day from all of you. Thanks again guys and gals!
Very happy with my decision to get a :spyder: :thumbup:

welcome:congrats: Enjoy your ryde and ryde safe :spyder2:

Dragonrider
11-29-2009, 10:25 AM
You just have to look at the problems arising on the Hardley trikes, and you relize that BRP has done a fair job introducing a new ryde - you have to expect a few issues - that's why there's a warranty. If you have real concerns, opt for the extended warranty.

Unless you are severely vertically challenged, or ryde with one hand, nothing short of locking up a single front wheel would cause you serious problems.

Get it, enjoy it, and remember that with ANY vehicle, inattention will byte you!! :congrats:welcome

jsmiley
11-29-2009, 11:27 AM
:congrats:

Nothing is perfect and small percentage are indeed having issues. Chances are you will never have to worry about it though.

Check out the two roll calls here and see what other ryders are saying. There are some seriously impressive problem-free numbers being put up in the REAL DEAL roll call and SpyderWolf's rollcall is jam packed with users without any issues at all.

You should read as many posts as possible, the good and the bad. Just try to keep things in perspective and educate yourself. If you are educated, you are prepared. If you are prepared then there is no need to worry.

Once you get on that :spyder2: and start ryding you will find it has a magical ability to make everything else fade away. It is just you, the :spyder2:, and the open road. You will find no place for worries there.

Mad Matt
11-29-2009, 11:39 AM
RAL,

I have owned a Spyder for 2 years, and now I am buying another one, the RT. And I know I am not the only one. So that tells you something!

Mad Matt

BumbleBee
11-29-2009, 11:44 AM
RAL,

I have owned a Spyder for 2 years, and now I am buying another one, the RT. And I know I am not the only one. So that tells you something!

Mad Matt

Add your name to our growing list;

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14987&page=5

bcspyder
11-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I am one of the few that had an experience with the steering and after talking to BRP many times I am confident an actual cause is going to be discovered for all. It feels like everyone has problems if you hang on this forum sometimes but the hard stats are the numbers with issues are no more significant than other vehicles. The challenge is that a large corporation can't just wave a magic wand and fix it. It takes time to find the real source of the problem because there are very few examples. Just like any statistic if the population is small finding a cause is hard to do.

The BRP team was at my dealership and they mentioned mine was one of a very limited number. My dealer is a friend so no reason to give me bad info. I do believe it as a very limited problem. How many here have a "reliable" Toyota that just became part of the 4 Million!! car recall? In my case a replaced sensor cured the problem and several thousand K have been put on it since. After the second update it is running better than ever. I also have a great dealership and even then I understand there is a learning curve for everyone with a new design. I think the most important thing is the dealer network. It makes a HUGE difference if you buy from a good one.

r1eater
11-29-2009, 12:09 PM
I am not faint of heart, my other ride is a ural, but the idea of my bike trying to pull me under a 18 wheeler gives me...pause. My Spyder is a 2009 manual shift. Can't wait to start rolling down the N Florida roads with it!
Thanks one and all for the replies.

RAL

Don't worry, I took delivery a few weeks ago and although my dps will be replaced due to minor issues I still love my spyder. I've owned all kinds of bikes before and the spyder is definatley up there as one favs.

I was on the fence about getting one too after readin here but after the demo ride and seeing how much my wife enjoyed it I went ahead and got it.

bone crusher
11-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Every vehicle has glitches...this bike is a new design with tons of technological gizmos...it was destined to have problems.

I haven't had any major issues with my bike and I hope it stays that way. BRP is not evil and you will love your bike!

Enjoy and ride safely!

Sarge707
11-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Do yourself a favor!! When you get it ,before you ride it , take out the fancy pressure gauge and make sure you have 18-20 in the front tires and 28-30 in the rear tire.

Mine was delivered with 10.5 PSI in the front tires and 22 in the rear? GOOD thing I checked???

Have FUN:spyder2:ing!!

Questions
11-29-2009, 12:56 PM
I have a 09 se-5 and it runs great. with the only exception being it doesn't want to go into neutral. and the idle bounces from 1350 to up to 1450 but I' not sure if this is normal or not.
My wife has a 09 se-5 and it has had the updates. It shifts up fine but it doesn't want to down shift. When it won't shift down (even when stopped )you can't manually shift it either. and the brakes sqeal, it also shifts harsh especially when it decides to down shift. It also creeps forward when stopped and ow it has started not to start sometimes and sometimes it will. It's back at the dealership, been there over a week, will wait till next week and start calling. I figure their nice toys but at this price there not a Harley and I don't expect them to be as reliable as a new Harley.

LaughingHeart
11-29-2009, 02:58 PM
I have one of the early Spyders - #731. I have had nothing but fun with mine. My dealer is wonderful and knows what to do with Spyders. The only problem I have had was a fan relay that died and was quickly fixed. I've been riding her for 2 years now and love every minute of time I spend on her.

pitmon
11-29-2009, 06:07 PM
welcome Well I am one that has had serious issues with the steering. However, I had 6000 trouble free miles before my problem and I hope to have many many more. I really enjoy my spyder so I say go get it and ride the heck out of it... and if you notice anything quirky with the steering take it to the dealer and get it checked out. Enjoy!:thumbup:

Smylinacha
11-29-2009, 06:19 PM
I so wish you lived by me. I need a new ryding buddy. I don't wanna ryde w/ the guys anymore.

welcome Well I am one that has had serious issues with the steering. However, I had 6000 trouble free miles before my problem and I hope to have many many more. I really enjoy my spyder so I say go get it and ride the heck out of it... and if you notice anything quirky with the steering take it to the dealer and get it checked out. Enjoy!:thumbup:

Roaddog2
11-29-2009, 06:20 PM
What problems are Harley trikes having?:dontknow:

That is a ridiculous statement, and foolish advice to post on a public forum.....:agree:

rnet
11-29-2009, 07:07 PM
I so wish you lived by me. I need a new ryding buddy. I don't wanna ryde w/ the guys anymore.Why not.:dontknow:

Smylinacha
11-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Why not.:dontknow:

No girls that ride. Would be nice to have ladies riding - none do. Well two do but one I don't care for and the other I don't get to ryde alot with. Plus after every stop guys talk about engine oil, motors, this and that, I get bored quick. Not that I hate ryding w/ them, just wish there were more girls ryding - that I like. One girl who I like ryding w/, well she is getting a divorce from one of the guys we ryde with so now it's like who gets to ride with who and that stinks.

The other girl - she is too syrupy sweet and drives me nuts. Like she has some halo above her head or something. I don't like sappy people like that.

jabba11
11-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Got my phantom in Aug. I 've put about 4000 miles on it. No problems. It is truly fun and welcome.

krb1945
11-29-2009, 08:37 PM
taking over your steering. The updates have corrected most of that problem. Yes, there have been a few repeats but not many. Even if Hal does develop a desire to assume control you can over power it.

I have recently had both bicips severly torn and both shoulders damaged in the same accident and I can over power Hal. I actually had to do it before I had the update installed. Since the updates like many others I have had no repeat of Hal's bad behavior.

Get use to the way it steers while breaking it in and you will have a ball:yes: riding your spyder. /Ken (krb1945/OEM discount oil change kits)

Motza
11-29-2009, 08:45 PM
I so wish you lived by me. I need a new ryding buddy. I don't wanna ryde w/ the guys anymore.

Oh great there goes another man hater...:roflblack:
I will ride with you and wear a pink helmet! Does that help?

rnet
11-29-2009, 09:00 PM
No girls that ride. Would be nice to have ladies riding - none do. Well two do but one I don't care for and the other I don't get to ryde alot with. Plus after every stop guys talk about engine oil, motors, this and that, I get bored quick. Not that I hate ryding w/ them, just wish there were more girls ryding - that I like. One girl who I like ryding w/, well she is getting a divorce from one of the guys we ryde with so now it's like who gets to ride with who and that stinks.

The other girl - she is too syrupy sweet and drives me nuts. Like she has some halo above her head or something. I don't like sappy people like that.Hopefully my wife will recover from neck surgury (herniated disc) by spring and will be back on as a passenger. She going back to work tommorrow after being out a month and half, see how that works out.

krb1945
11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Did they finally get your steering completely fixed? /Ken

Smylinacha
12-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Hopefully my wife will recover from neck surgury (herniated disc) by spring and will be back on as a passenger. She going back to work tommorrow after being out a month and half, see how that works out.

Did they do a fusion on her? Hoping she feels better soon!

Questions
12-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Oh great there goes another man hater...:roflblack:
I will ride with you and wear a pink helmet! Does that help?

:ohyea:
One doesn't need to be a man-hater to wish there were more ladies ryding!!!
I like men a lot, and have been a motorcyclist for 43 yrs, including the last couple months on my lovely Spyder... and I seldom wear a helmet unless in a state where they are required. (And no, my helmet is not pink -- yuggghhh!)

There seem to be more and more of us (ladies) out there on our fresh-air machines -- sometimes ya can't tell under the leathers and helmets, but we're there, just keep looking!!

rnet
12-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Did they do a fusion on her? Hoping she feels better soon!Yep, now her knee hurts, sucks to get old.

txknight67
12-02-2009, 08:26 PM
sucks to get old.

:agree::agree::agree::mad:

rnet
12-02-2009, 08:56 PM
:agree::agree::agree::mad:Looks like your new to the site so welcome

Smylinacha
12-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Yep, now her knee hurts, sucks to get old.

My knees are horrible when I first get up - I know, I'm already starting to creek. Whoever said that phrase getting old gracefully is a total liar.

txknight67
12-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Looks like your new to the site so welcome

Thanks for the welcome. Yep, I'm a noob.:ohyea: Just found this site Monday trying to find out if I could mount a passenger tire on the back.

Some Guy
12-02-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't give a :cus: who (gender or whatever) ryde Spyders...I just want ALL of us to ryde our Spyders and have a great time!!! :thumbup: :D

This has been the best toy of my life! Rock on my SpyderLovers family!!! :ohyea: