PDA

View Full Version : New Rider - New Bike - Delivery

Calimusjohn
03-02-2024, 01:45 PM
New Bike
Beverly, a new neighbor, said she would like to have a demonstration ride on my Sea to Sky. After two short jaunts, she said she would like to get a machine of her own. :dg2: Financial restraints wouldn’t allow acquiring an RT or F3.

I suggested she check out the Ryker. She found several on Craig’s List, Marketplace, and Cycle Trader. Before she purchased something she had never seen, I took her to Mountain Motorsports in Akron, TN. for a looksee.

The dealership allowed her to straddle different machines and to adjust the handlebars, footpegs and windshield height to suit her size. They followed my lead on recommending attendance at a Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding course. She agreed and signed up.

A few days later, she announced that she had found a used machine at a dealership 225 miles away and asked if I’d accompany her to look at it. Well, duh!

I threw my winter riding gear onto the back seat of her car and away we went.

At the dealership, it became apparent that the bike was going home with us. While she filled out the paperwork and acquired insurance, I started putting on layers of clothes. A salesperson asked, “Are you riding that Ryker home for that lady?”

I nodded.

“Do you realize it’s 37 degrees and getting colder as we speak?” he asked.

I nodded.

“Do you know it’s snowing?”

I nodded.

“Are you nuts?”

I hesitated . . . and nodded. :gaah:

The sales associate was correct. The temperature was dropping. I discovered the Ryker’s lack of heated handgrips, a heated seat and a rider’s increased exposure to the wind makes for a different ride than experienced on my larger machine. A full-face helmet layered clothing covered by wind pants, and an all-weather armored jacket kept me comfortable. I did not have insulated ski or snowmobile gloves. My hands suffered. I stopped at gas stations twice to hold my hands under the hot-air hand dryers in their bathrooms to thaw my tomato red hands.

Other than frozen fingers, the ride was a delight. The Ryker’s light responsive handling, fantastic acceleration, and stability at freeway speeds which ran 15 mph over the posted seventy limits, contributed to a delightful February ride.

Beverly has read the owner’s manual, learned all the controls, starting procedures, and is now anxiously awaiting her class to start next week. Okay, she rode the bike in my backyard, too.

I’m limiting my input. I don’t want her to have to unlearn what I teach wrong.

It will be fun to share rides this summer.

As an aside, I went to MSF school after having ridden for forty years. I’m embarrassed to admit how much I learned in the classes.

BajaRon
03-02-2024, 02:48 PM
New Bike
Beverly, a new neighbor, said she would like to have a demonstration ride on my Sea to Sky. After two short jaunts, she said she would like to get a machine of her own. :dg2: Financial restraints wouldn’t allow acquiring an RT or F3.

I suggested she check out the Ryker. She found several on Craig’s List, Marketplace, and Cycle Trader. Before she purchased something she had never seen, I took her to Mountain Motorsports in Akron, TN. for a looksee.

The dealership allowed her to straddle different machines and to adjust the handlebars, footpegs and windshield height to suit her size. They followed my lead on recommending attendance at a Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding course. She agreed and signed up.

A few days later, she announced that she had found a used machine at a dealership 225 miles away and asked if I’d accompany her to look at it. Well, duh!

I threw my winter riding gear onto the back seat of her car and away we went.

At the dealership, it became apparent that the bike was going home with us. While she filled out the paperwork and acquired insurance, I started putting on layers of clothes. A salesperson asked, “Are you riding that Ryker home for that lady?”

I nodded.

“Do you realize it’s 37 degrees and getting colder as we speak?” he asked.

I nodded.

“Do you know it’s snowing?”

I nodded.

“Are you nuts?”

I hesitated . . . and nodded. :gaah:

The sales associate was correct. The temperature was dropping. I discovered the Ryker’s lack of heated handgrips, a heated seat and a rider’s increased exposure to the wind makes for a different ride than experienced on my larger machine. A full-face helmet layered clothing covered by wind pants, and an all-weather armored jacket kept me comfortable. I did not have insulated ski or snowmobile gloves. My hands suffered. I stopped at gas stations twice to hold my hands under the hot-air hand dryers in their bathrooms to thaw my tomato red hands.

Other than frozen fingers, the ride was a delight. The Ryker’s light responsive handling, fantastic acceleration, and stability at freeway speeds which ran 15 mph over the posted seventy limits, contributed to a delightful February ride.

Beverly has read the owner’s manual, learned all the controls, starting procedures, and is now anxiously awaiting her class to start next week. Okay, she rode the bike in my backyard, too.

I’m limiting my input. I don’t want her to have to unlearn what I teach wrong.

It will be fun to share rides this summer.

As an aside, I went to MSF school after having ridden for forty years. I’m embarrassed to admit how much I learned in the classes.

Great story! I've done some very cold weather riding (low 20's) without heated gear. I've never found a set of gloves that will stand up to this more than 30 or 40 minutes before the deep freeze begins to penetrate. Not saying they aren't out there. I know there are some but they are too cumbersome to operate motorcycle controls safely.

Anyway, the cat's meow is heated gear. You can be as comfortable as sitting in your recliner next to the wood stove in good heated gear. Regardless of how cold it gets.

Hope both of you have a Great riding season!

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-02-2024, 03:38 PM
Kudo's to you :clap::clap::clap::clap: ..... She is one lucky Lady ..... I hope it wasn't snowing when you were doing 85 mph :gaah::gaah::gaah: .............just kidding .... Mike :thumbup: