PDA

View Full Version : Need a new shed for my Ryker - any suggestions?

lokiryker
02-20-2024, 02:03 PM
Hello, I have a 2021 Can Am Ryker, and I've been using an 8x8x8 shelter logic shed for the last couple of years. The constant wind storms we've been getting up in the north east over the years has finally ripped the shelter logics roof open.

I want something more permanent and/or durable that'd last more than a few years. Any suggestions?

2dogs
02-20-2024, 03:24 PM
Google "wooden sheds." That's what I bought and I ran power to it for lights and whatever else I need to use power wise. Best purchase I ever made besides the spyder. Don't get a metal shed! They sweat and cause rust.

BertRemington
02-20-2024, 11:38 PM
Concur "wooden sheds."

Peter Aawen
02-21-2024, 12:05 AM
Google "wooden sheds." That's what I bought and I ran power to it for lights and whatever else I need to use power wise. Best purchase I ever made besides the spyder. Don't get a metal shed! They sweat and cause rust.

Concur "wooden sheds."

If you want it to last more than just a few years, then no-one would thank you for doing that most places in Oz, except maybe the white ants & the borers & the spiders & the snakes & the lizards & the possums & the .... Yeah, I'm pretty sure you get the drift. ;)

Just Sayin' :thumbup:

Mikey
02-21-2024, 06:19 AM
Here in Maine, there all kinds of guys selling prebuilt sheds and dropping them in your yard wherever you want them. And to tell you the truth, for cost of the ones I have seen you couldn't build one and pay yourself for the trouble! Good deal in my book.

safecracker
02-21-2024, 07:44 AM
I agree with Mikey,

PW2013STL
02-21-2024, 08:53 AM
I just added a shed (Tuffshed) for storing my F3 during the summer months that were not here in Apache Junction. It's a 10' x 14' lean to with double doors on one end that open to 6' wide with aluminum ramps that cover the full 6' opening.
Tuffshed is made locally, but Home Depot also sells them.

canamryder
02-21-2024, 10:08 AM
Here in Maine, there all kinds of guys selling prebuilt sheds and dropping them in your yard wherever you want them. And to tell you the truth, for cost of the ones I have seen you couldn't build one and pay yourself for the trouble! Good deal in my book.

That's what I did here in Illinois. I had a 10 x 12' (walls are 9?' tall) shed put in, with a 7' wide roll up door. Had a load of gravel laid down to level things up. The alley behind my lot came in handy. A 4' deep loft came with shed also. Any larger square foot shed I would have had to pour concrete per city ordinance. I installed a small window and a roof air vent myself. No permanent electricity is out there, I use power banks for lights and music. The battery tender is in the basement with a long, hidden, cord running out to the shed.

BoatFixx
02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Yes, Wood sheds, and they have "rent-to-own" programs as well.
Metal sheds sweat.
I soon will have two sheds. The natural wood sided one was for my two (two-wheeled) motorcycles. It is 10'x14'.
I'm turning it into a camp cabin for guests. (almost done)
However, the Spyder does not fit. So I purchased the gray one in the photo with a big roll up door. It's 12'x20'
Big room for the Spyder, the other bikes, the Big Blue jack, all my motorcycle gear and then some.

2dogs
02-21-2024, 01:46 PM
Here on the firck'n left coast in my county, any structure with a roof area exceeding 10'x10' or 100 square feet has to be engineered, permitted, and taxed.

safecracker
02-21-2024, 03:51 PM
Get a building made. Have it made 9ft by 11ft. That is how we get around the permit process in the town I live in. 99 square feet.

Raven
02-21-2024, 05:41 PM
What ever you decide on "Go Bigger"!
For some reason, you always need more room.
Around here I see a lot of SeaCans for sale that people use for sheds.
Bug proof, critter proof, and water proof.

2dogs
02-21-2024, 07:55 PM
Excellent advice Raven.
I bought a 10x20 for that same reason. It should be sufficient for several years if I can keep my wife away from it. Mine has a green metal roof and I put it under some trees so it's hidden from view. The county uses Google Earth to search for unpermitted structures.

safecracker
02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
2dogs, LOL, smart.

BoatFixx
02-22-2024, 11:01 AM
Here on the firck'n left coast in my county, any structure with a roof area exceeding 10'x10' or 100 square feet has to be engineered, permitted, and taxed.
Ergo... Kalifornia w/ a K

For some reason, you always need more room.
Around here I see a lot of SeaCans for sale that people use for sheds.
Bug proof, critter proof, and water proof.

Yes, this was my experience too

Cadaverdog
02-22-2024, 12:35 PM
Here on the firck'n left coast in my county, any structure with a roof area exceeding 10'x10' or 100 square feet has to be engineered, permitted, and taxed.They have laws regarding sheds on the right coast too. The 100 square foot rule is standard in a lot of states.

WDAVEY
02-22-2024, 03:06 PM
Just a thought.... Buy an enclosed cargo/motorcycle trailer. Take the wheels off, lock the wheels and the Spyder inside. No permits, and you'll have a trailer to use.

2dogs
02-22-2024, 03:25 PM
I like safecracker's solution. 9'x11'

2dogs
02-22-2024, 03:29 PM
Just a thought.... Buy an enclosed cargo/motorcycle trailer. Take the wheels off, lock the wheels and the Spyder inside. No permits, and you'll have a trailer to use.

:thumbup: :clap:

Raven
02-23-2024, 11:50 AM
Get the SeaCan and tell them it is a shipping/storage container and can be moved.
So therefore it is not a structure. :rolleyes:LOL

Markubis
02-23-2024, 04:55 PM
I built a shed kit from lowes last year. Not for my Ryker but it would work if I wanted it to. Everything came with it except the floor and shingles and it went up pretty quickly...i think I had it done in 2 weekends.