PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Key in the ignition when home, any electrical problems with the Spyder?

old Timer
02-01-2024, 02:33 PM
Re a '20 F3 L

I always leave the key in the ignition when locked up in my locked up shop in the back of my house within our 6' block fence with security when I am home. Other wise I remove the key when out.

Will that cause an issue with the Key or anything else electronically. BTW, I have always done that for the last 30-40 years.

redrazor
02-01-2024, 02:46 PM
Re a '20 F3 L

I always leave the key in the ignition when locked up in my locked up shop in the back of my house within our 6' block fence with security when I am home. Other wise I remove the key when out.

Will that cause an issue with the Key or anything else electronically. BTW, I have always done that for the last 30-40 years.

:cheers: :agree:

Navydad
02-01-2024, 04:47 PM
I've never had an issue when leaving the key in my Spyder or any of my other bikes.

ARtraveler
02-01-2024, 05:44 PM
Always left the key in our Spyders when overnighting in our garage. Seven Spyders, 200,000 plus miles. No electrical issues.

old Timer
02-01-2024, 06:08 PM
Thanks Guys, I thought that was the case..........Other wise they would sure as heck, be lost.

Gwolf
02-01-2024, 06:50 PM
No problems with the electrical, but if I leave the shop door open, the dog will get on it and ride around the yard, tearing up the grass.

Bfromla
02-01-2024, 06:52 PM
There were early reports of key chip failures to read, when it was too cold & left in the garage overnight. Don’t know about your model, but it was usually resolved when the key warmed up indoors & then attempted again.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-01-2024, 07:01 PM
I guess I'm the Oddball :roflblack: .... I always REMOVE it from the lock and place it on the recessed instrument cluster ... #1- I will never accidently leave it in the ON position, and I've read here that removing the key AWAY from the internal antenna in the ignition switch allows a Complete Re-Boot ..... JMHO ... Mike :thumbup:

2dogs
02-01-2024, 08:45 PM
A vendor on this site sells a key boot that covers the key. It gives the appearance that there is no key or ignition switch. Not my cup of tea but some may like it. The spyder was designed with an internal antitheft system for a reason.

wolfeman
02-01-2024, 09:47 PM
You gotta love a dog that enjoys joy riding on a Spyder.

ARtraveler
02-02-2024, 05:40 PM
You gotta love a dog that enjoys joy riding on a Spyder.

Roof !!! :roflblack:

pegasus1300
02-02-2024, 10:13 PM
Mine is a 2012 RTL. I have always left the key in it when parked at home, and many times when away from home. Never had any problems in 8 years of ownership.

2dogs
02-02-2024, 10:43 PM
What do you tell the police or insurance company when they ask, "Where was the key?"

Lew L
02-02-2024, 11:56 PM

I never leave the keys in my car (in a locked garage) and never leave the key in the :spyder2: (in a locked shop). I also lock all doors to the house at night and when away.
And guns, ammo, valuables, & important documents are all in safes.

I had a toolbox stolen out of my car decades ago, so NEVER again.

Lew L

Mikey
02-03-2024, 06:45 AM
I am a firm believer in a lock is only for the honest person! If they want it, it will be gone! I had my home broken into years ago, the little sob's kicked a side window out on Thanksgiving weekend while my wife and I was home with the family and had their fun threw out the whole house and garage. the insurance company was a bigger crook than the guys that wrecked my house. You know what I don't lock the door anymore. and I hope they shut the door behind them when they leave, so they don't run up my heating bill. As far as leaving the keys in your bike for storage I would do it in a heartbeat! My keys in mine, done it forever!:2thumbs:

Gwolf
02-03-2024, 08:35 PM
I am a firm believer in a lock is only for the honest person! If they want it, it will be gone! I had my home broken into years ago, the little sob's kicked a side window out on Thanksgiving weekend while my wife and I was home with the family and had their fun threw out the whole house and garage. the insurance company was a bigger crook than the guys that wrecked my house. You know what I don't lock the door anymore. and I hope they shut the door behind them when they leave, so they don't run up my heating bill. As far as leaving the keys in your bike for storage I would do it in a heartbeat! My keys in mine, done it forever!:2thumbs:

You are right, hollow-points are for the dishonest people.

shakin_jake
02-04-2024, 05:23 PM

~~~reading what you said here Mike reminded me of something an automotive tech once told me, in regards to my 1971 MGB. He told me to never lock the doors on this car. I asked why’s that? His response was, if they want in they’ll rip open the fabric of your drop top with a knife. After that conversation I never locked that MG nor the 64’ MGB wifey & I owned FWIW I’ve replaced several fabric tops with new over the years owning MG’s, but that was because they were worn out from exposure to the elements

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

pegasus1300
02-04-2024, 06:41 PM
What do you tell the police or insurance company when they ask, "Where was the key?"
Well since it has never been stolen or even messed with I don't tell them anything. And I do take it out when left in a public place.

vito1943
02-06-2024, 10:43 AM
I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and although I left that godforsaken place almost 60 years ago, habits are hard to break. I never feel comfortable leaving a key in the ignition or even in the cup holder of any vehicle that I own, even when that vehicle is in my locked garage. I have come home from a ride, closed the garage, gone into my home and then remembered that the key was still in the bike and I've gone back out to get it, not being able to comfortably leave it as it is.

I have grandkids at the house a lot of the time. If I left the key in the ignition I could well foresee coming out one day to go for a ride and finding that one of the little guys had turned the key and now I would have a dead battery. It takes no effort to take the key inside with me so that's what I've done for every motorcycle that I have ever owned, and every car as well.

Peter Aawen
02-06-2024, 04:19 PM
Here in Oz, if you leave your key in the ignition in public, you risk a Fine for leaving your vehicle unsecured; and if you leave your key in the ignition ANYWHERE while your vehicle is unattended (even if you are only just more than 3 metres away from it! :shocked:) then you risk reducing or possibly even losing any insurance payout for your negligence/contribution to the theft/loss.... and you might also be charged with Fraud if there's any thought &/or evidence that you left the key in on purpose in order to make it easy or attractive to steal, especially if you then make a claim for theft! :yikes:

Just Sayin' :rolleyes:

old Timer
02-06-2024, 06:28 PM
I always put the key in my pocket when ever out and about on all of our vehicles when getting off of or out of. Other wise when put snugly away under cover at home, in the vehicle.

Isopedella
02-06-2024, 07:17 PM
I noticed lately I seem to always put my key in my left pocket when parked somewhere, and then search my right pocket first for the key on return. Sheesh. Dont get old.

pegasus1300
02-07-2024, 06:02 PM
Why is it you never remember to put the key in the ignition until after you put on your gloves?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

old Timer
02-07-2024, 06:06 PM
Why is it you never remember to put the key in the ignition until after you put on your gloves?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Can't tell you how many times I have done that..................................

2dogs
02-08-2024, 03:14 PM
Can't tell you how many times I have done that..................................

Yep, I've done, and do the same dam thing. I am sure it's a sign of oldtimers, not Alzheimer's, oldtimers. Keep on ride'n as long as you can.

EdMat
02-08-2024, 09:44 PM

The bigger question is why do you not get your key out of your pocket till you have your rain pants fastened up? :gaah:

Gwolf
02-09-2024, 04:18 AM
The bigger question is why do you not get your key out of your pocket till you have your rain pants fastened up? :gaah:

Actually, I live in Florida, where it is usually warm enough that you don't have to wear any pants when you ride.

Peter Aawen
02-09-2024, 08:05 AM
Actually, I live in Florida, where it is usually warm enough that you don't have to wear any pants when you ride.

But if you ride naked or semi-naked like that, doesn't your bum get all sweaty & stick to the seat?? :dontknow:

And what on earth do you do to stop from burning the delicate parts of your anatomy if you get back on the bike after leaving it sitting in the sun for a while?? :shocked: AFAIK, the OEM seat material gets hot enough to be uncomfortably hot after sitting in the sun for a bit when you're clothed with a layer of protective gear between you'n it, I really can't imagine how hot & painful that'd be on bare skin!! :yikes:

LongIsland
02-09-2024, 10:40 AM
I guess I'm the Oddball :roflblack: .... I always REMOVE it from the lock and place it on the recessed instrument cluster ... #1- I will never accidently leave it in the ON position, and I've read here that removing the key AWAY from the internal antenna in the ignition switch allows a Complete Re-Boot ..... JMHO ... Mike :thumbup:

Wouldn't it reboot when you remove the key and leave the trike while having a meal or shopping? When parked in my garage, I leave the key in the ignition. I've been doing it since July of 2012 with no problems.

Gwolf
02-09-2024, 10:48 AM
But if you ride naked or semi-naked like that, doesn't your bum get all sweaty & stick to the seat?? :dontknow:

And what on earth do you do to stop from burning the delicate parts of your anatomy if you get back on the bike after leaving it sitting in the sun for a while?? :shocked: AFAIK, the OEM seat material gets hot enough to be uncomfortably hot after sitting in the sun for a bit when you're clothed with a layer of protective gear between you'n it, I really can't imagine how hot & painful that'd be on bare skin!! :yikes:

You fold your pants and sit on them, because they won't let you in the restaurant without them.

K80Shooter
02-09-2024, 12:00 PM
You fold your pants and sit on them, because they won't let you in the restaurant without them.

I have saw signs that say, "No shoes, No shirts" No Service. I've never seen one say anything about pants though. :popcorn:

ollicat
02-09-2024, 12:59 PM

And I thought I was the only one.

Isopedella
02-09-2024, 01:39 PM
Seem im doomed.
Guilty also with the gloves and wets. :rolleyes: sheesh

Gwolf
02-09-2024, 04:30 PM
I have saw signs that say, "No shoes, No shirts" No Service. I've never seen one say anything about pants though. :popcorn:

Nope, they don't put up signs, but if you walk in a restaurant without none on, you will hear about it.