PDA

View Full Version : 2012 RS - how do I remove the Headlight Assembly without prying on plastics?

Dangerous
01-25-2024, 07:10 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm trying to change out the headlight assemblies on my wife's Spyder. She wanted a set with halos, so now I am obligated to install them. I believe I have removed what I need to except for the black plastic cluster housing. How do I get this off without prying on the plastics? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Robert

Bfromla
01-25-2024, 07:51 PM
From notes on general bulb change:

RS headlight

Best method...

1. remove windshield;

2. release gauges (small tabs in top) unplug the cluster and set it aside where it won't fall and break;

3. remove turn signal arms (use care when removing plugs);

4. along the top of the head piece are some tabs - use a small screwdriver to release the tabs & insert screwdriver between the halves to keep them open 'til all the tabs are popped open;

5. lift top to open it (it will remain attached in front);

6. then remove the rubber boot 1/4 turn the connector inside and slide the plug and bulb out - (Important! DO NOT TOUCH THE NEW BULB WITH YOUR FINGERS - skin oils will cause it to discolor and fail), so preferably, put on rubber gloves to remove the old bulb and insert the new one - insert it into the socket and turn till it stops (I did both at same time so I wouldn't have to go back in a month and saved the good bulb just in case.)

7. Now test to make sure the lights work - on the right-hand grip's back side is a button, push it and the lights should flash on. If they work, re assemble the bike in reverse.

Good luck and have fun!

or:

https://ourdiyblogs.wordpress.com/2017/04/02/canam-spyder-rs-sm5-2009-headlight-replacement/

Dangerous
01-26-2024, 06:43 PM
Thank you! I'll give it a go.