PDA

View Full Version : TX helmet laws

jima1153
11-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi everybody. I am headed to the Rio Grande Valley in Jan. to see my dad and I will be taking a couple friends who also have bikes. ( one has a 2 wheeler HD and the other just got a brand new HD Trike - its crazy pretty!) Anyway, what I can find on the net, as of today, there is no helmet law in TX for anyone over 18. Is this correct? Thanks in advance. Jim

BTW if you are a winter Texan and want to get together to ride, let me know. We will be heading over to Soutrh Padre Island on the Saturday when we are in town. Hope my RT-S is in by then. If not the ole RS will do fine.

Texmac1011
11-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Not quite, although you will be okay if you don't get stopped. See the law here.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/helmet.htm

Enjoy Texas!

glynnk
11-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi everybody. I am headed to the Rio Grande Valley in Jan. to see my dad and I will be taking a couple friends who also have bikes. ( one has a 2 wheeler HD and the other just got a brand new HD Trike - its crazy pretty!) Anyway, what I can find on the net, as of today, there is no helmet law in TX for anyone over 18. Is this correct? Thanks in advance. Jim

BTW if you are a winter Texan and want to get together to ride, let me know. We will be heading over to Soutrh Padre Island on the Saturday when we are in town. Hope my RT-S is in by then. If not the ole RS will do fine.
What's the route you plan on taking through Texas?

Glynnk

jima1153
11-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I usually take 59 south out of texarkana thru houston and then 37 to 35 back up although might switch it up.

fastfraser
11-25-2009, 05:25 PM
FireFly has an extra one he picked up in Gatlinburg TN that he probably has never worn since. :roflblack::roflblack:

BMikiten
11-26-2009, 08:19 AM
You might consider 281S instead of 37. Between border patrol and DPS, the ride can less than fun especially between Kingsville and Harlingen. It is a one hour stretch with almost nothing to see and few stops.

Brian
:2thumbs:

Questions
12-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Running 281s or 77 will both be pretty active with DPS units. If you are looking to ride with and meet new people, every Sunday agroup meets at the texas travel information center in Harlingen @ 8am for breakfeast. During the winter time there can be up to two Hunderd mikes there. They discuss where to go to eat and ride and break up in smaller groups. just join in with one of the groups.

Bring your passport if you think you want to go into Mexico. If you are here between Jan28-31, I'm going with a few guys to Parras, Mx, for the Blessing of The helmets. Parras is west of Monterrey. It will be good roads all the way, mostly toll roads. We will spend the night in Saltillo, with the Mexican Club that is putting on the event. Don't worry about speaking spainish, I don't and have traveled to several events in Mexico.

Let know if you need anymore information.

Bob

jima1153
12-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks Bob. We will be in Weslaco (Best Western) Jan 14 thru the 18th. Might try to make it to Harlingen on that Sunday. I've spent some time down there as for we used to do contracting with Pioneer Seed Co. there. I didn;t think about going into MX. How does your insurance work there? We usually just walk across at Progresso.

glynnk
12-28-2009, 11:24 PM
When your route and timetable is finalized, post it here and if you still plan on going through Houston, might be able to have some Houston area ryders meet up with you for a meal,coffee, whatever.

Glynnk

Questions
12-29-2009, 03:02 PM
my insurance covers me within 25 miles of the boader, but to travel further you need mexican liability ins. Which I purchase on a yearly bases. You can get mexican ins locally around the boarder. The cost of a 10 day trip was around $180.00, that also covered my bike for 20,000 dollars. That why it was cheaper to go the yearly route. I also buy travel ins during the time I'm in country. 250,000 to 500,000 about 30 dollars. Cover hospital, emergency evac, and some left over for life ins.

Have a save trip.

Bob

jima1153
12-29-2009, 04:05 PM
When your route and timetable is finalized, post it here and if you still plan on going through Houston, might be able to have some Houston area ryders meet up with you for a meal,coffee, whatever.

Glynnk

I will let you know Glenn. It will depend on which trailer we bring down. We might pull a 45' gooseneck race trailer. If that is the case we will prob do the Dallas/San Antonio/281 route. If we bring the smaller 20' , we will prob go thru houston on the way down. I have driven both routes many times before. Typically if we leave Newman, IL at 6:00 am, we hit Houston around 8:00 pm and then find a hotel in Wharton / El Campo area. Again nothing is set in stone yet. Hope we can meet up! Happy New Year.

Jim

BillGargan
12-29-2009, 04:09 PM
For your reference when traveling . . .

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

bikeguy
12-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks for posting that, Bill. Very useful information.

Cotton

irish2themax
12-29-2009, 05:28 PM
FireFly has an extra one he picked up in Gatlinburg TN that he probably has never worn since. :roflblack::roflblack:

:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack::wrong:

jima1153
12-29-2009, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=BillGargan;168366]For your reference when traveling . . .

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp[/QUOTE
Sweet! Thats what I was looking for. Thanks Bill.:2thumbs:

jima1153
01-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Glynnk
Glenn, Looks like we will be going thru San Antonio on the way down. We will be headed back up your way for the return trip though. I'll let you know when we will be going thru after we get our return trip set in stone. I'm sure we will be trying to stall anywhere we can in TX to stay out of this :cus: weather here in Illinois. Hopewfully the cold front will be out of your area when we get down there next week.

sts
01-12-2010, 01:04 PM
If you need anything while going thru San Antonio let me know we are in Lytle off exit 131 on 35 as you head south. Just in case you need anything done with the spyder.