PDA

View Full Version : another "made in canada" -idea

chris56
11-22-2009, 01:45 PM
for thanksgiving a friend imported from canada a new ..machine.. he said he will be able to finish a turkey in only one hour - and he was right - how do you normally cook a turkey - we use ducks here in austria - much smaller ..
chris

SpyderWolf
11-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Turkey fryers have been very popular in the southeastern US for a very long time. The most important thing to know is the turkey must be completely thawed before placing it in the oil, otherwise you may get a very bad grease fire. Never do this near anything flammable, or in a garage, as several people have burned down large sections of their homes from doing so.

When it is all said and done, it is some very good eating. :thumbup:

WackyDan
11-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Very good eating!

Keep in mind that beyond avoiding putting a frozen bird in the fryer... You also need to closely monitor the temperature of the oil. You should not have your oil hotter than 450 degrees, with 350 being the minimum. Any hotter than 450 and you start reaching the flash point of the oil and this is also where a lot of turkey fryer fires come from.

effgjamis
11-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Each time I use Mine, deep fry, a 22lb at 360 degrees cooks in about 50 minutes... and wa-la.... good eating.

krb1945
11-22-2009, 06:27 PM
are baked in the oven. Depending on the weight it can take from 3 to 5 hours to bake one.

Also remember the turkey deep fryer makes excellent table fare but is the fire department and emergency room night mares. Some think they can drop a frozen turkey into boiling oil which is a definite no... no... unless you have a death wish or like fatten your doctors bank account.

Read the instructions:thumbup: before you use one. /Ken

Al Bragg
11-22-2009, 06:44 PM
I have been frying my turkey in an electric deep fryer. Less of a fire hazarad.

This year I picked up an infered fryer. Uses NO OIL.

Never tryed this. The company claims that it will be like a deep fryed turkey.

I'll let you know how it turns out after Thanksgiving.

I will be doing two this year. One in the electric fryer and one in the new machine.:2thumbs:

rleathen
11-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Being a firefighter I can tell you that these things are dangerous. Too many people over fill the deep fryer with oil so that when they place the turkey in the pan the oil overflows of course running down to the burner and flame below. Mind you as long as people continue do things like that I will always have a job !! Maybe these things aren't as bad as I first thought !!

Desert Spyder
11-23-2009, 07:52 AM
These things are great if used with care. If you use peanut oil make sure your consumers are not allergic to peanuts. Here's a tip from Alton Brown from the Food Network Chl: Put your fryer under a step ladder. Tie rope on one side as an anchor, a hook of some sort in the middle and the rope exiting out the opposite side of the ladder. Go to altonbrown.com> knowledge > turkeyderrick.pdf for a diagram and explanation. Now you can stay out of the danger zone while lowering the bird in the pot and raising to drip. Maintaining temperature can be a pain. Make sure you spice the bird over nite. Yummo!

BajaRon
11-25-2009, 01:02 AM
Being a firefighter I can tell you that these things are dangerous. Too many people over fill the deep fryer with oil so that when they place the turkey in the pan the oil overflows of course running down to the burner and flame below. Mind you as long as people continue do things like that I will always have a job !! Maybe these things aren't as bad as I first thought !!

I agree....Right up there with people who think they can shove their old Christmas tree into a burning fireplace....

If you read the instructions and use as designed you won't have a problem. And the turkey will sure taste good!

Lamonster
11-25-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF7MtfDDp6A

DynamoBT
11-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Dumb and Dumber.

SpyderWolf
11-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Wow! That fire was huge before you knew it.