PDA

View Full Version : Rattling sound when backing off the throttle on my Ryker & more - any advice?

seger
11-11-2023, 04:31 AM
Hello! I have a rattling sound when I let off the gas on my Ryker! I have 2 and one for the wife, and hers is completely silent. It wants to chop sometimes when I drive away.
Is there supposed to be oil in the variator? That may have disappeared, because it sounds like it's dry, if you know what I mean? Can it be repaired or is it only a new unit/variator that applies because I don't think this will last over time? Can I take it apart and add any grease to the unit? Are special tools or pullers needed to take it apart? If anyone has an exploded view, it would be appreciated! It has traveled about 1000 km, here in Sweden there is a very poor service organization, and they are not that common either. Would be grateful for help with my future problem!

BajaRon
11-11-2023, 12:09 PM
Not sure what a 'Variator' is. The air filter scoops tend to be loose and they can vibrate at certain RPM. I wouldn't describe it as a 'Rattle'. But that could be a possibility. Need more information.

peacons
11-11-2023, 02:19 PM
Service manual states that the CVT is lubrication free and not to lube any part of it.
Don't think there's a "variator" per se like on an autoshifting scooter.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-12-2023, 01:20 AM
Not sure what a 'Variator' is. The air filter scoops tend to be loose and they can vibrate at certain RPM. I wouldn't describe it as a 'Rattle'. But that could be a possibility. Need more information.

In " Sverige " ????? ....it's a popular item :dontknow: .....Mike :thumbup:

DickB
11-12-2023, 04:33 AM
Can you post a video?

Redbeard
11-12-2023, 06:02 AM
In " Sverige " ????? ....it's a popular item .....Mike

That's how the Swedes, in Swedish, spell Sweden. :thumbup:

EdMat
11-12-2023, 08:03 AM

It's a common term used to describe the mechanism that causes the pulleys on a CVT system to expand and collapse.

peacons
11-12-2023, 12:57 PM
Anywho, its not to be lubricated.
Like BajaRon said more likely a body panel rattling.

guber
11-19-2023, 05:22 PM
I have a Ryker 600 and when I am at idle, I hear a rattle sound, possibly coming from the clutch area. Any ideas?

greer
11-20-2023, 06:55 AM
That airbox on the left is a two-piece design and can rattle like the dickens, reach out and put your hand on it to make certain that's not what you're hearing.

Sarah