PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Replacing Starter Solenoid

Mrz4coupe
11-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I blundered and accidently tore the Copper Colored Screw (beneath the Red Rubber Cap) off the Starter Solenoid. :gaah: BRP Dealer is ordering me another one for me. Any tips on what is involved would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Firefly
11-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Any reason your dealer isn't doing this? Should still be under warranty??

bjt
11-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Any reason your dealer isn't doing this? Should still be under warranty??

His first sentence says he blundered and broke the screw on the solenoid. That's probably why it isn't being covered as a warranty fix.

Lamonster
11-22-2009, 08:56 AM
I think you're the first to have to change one on this board. :dontknow:

Mrz4coupe
11-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Wow....lucky me! I will have to document the process and share then!

krb1945
11-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Left rear upper panel.
left side cover over top of fuel tank.
disconnect battery
remove the four electrical connections from the solenoid
remove the two mounting bolts.

Install the new solenoid in the reverse order. When you are installing any of the screws or bolts on the spyder be careful because many of the fasteners are in inch pounds "not" foot pounds of torque. With low inch pounds you just snug it up if you don't have the proper wrench. In other words 159 inch pounds is equal to 13.25 foot pounds. Not a whole lotta torqe there.

By the way your aren't the first one to have this problem. I was contacted by another fellow yesterday about this very same problem.

Wise decision is to connect battery tender cables to battery and not the solenoid.

a picture of the left panel attached

if you need additional assistance pm me and I'll do my best to help you./Ken

Mrz4coupe
11-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Well yesterday - I completed the replacement of the Starter Solenoid. Thanks again to Ken for all the advice and assistance!!:2thumbs:
The steps were pretty simple for a guy as mechanically challenged as me. Single greatest challenge was not being able to remove the Left Rear Side Panel due to the BRP Saddle Bag Bar. I have read that a few of you have figured out how to do this without disassembling a bunch of parts on the rear of the Spyder....but I could not figure it out!:dontknow: SO if one of you could share how you do that I would greatly appreciate it!!
So thanks again for the assistance - I am back on the road and will likely have the BRP Dealer Installl the Battery Tender Pig Tail on the Battery while having the 600 mile Service completed in the Spring....