PDA

View Full Version : How do you secure your Helmets when leaving your bike?

LALoner
10-19-2023, 04:34 PM
Helmets are not cheap. How do you secure yours when leaving the bike?

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-19-2023, 04:47 PM
Set it on the seat and drape my crash jacket over it. Just because something isn't cheap doesn't mean it is a great target for thieves.

K80Shooter
10-19-2023, 04:49 PM
I put mine in the frunk and my wives in the trunk.

TCBoone
10-19-2023, 04:52 PM
Riding two up we stow them in the trunk, keeps them out of sight. When the compartments are full during longer trips it forces us to carry them. There are ways to lock them to the clips on each side under the seat but that had be easily defeated.

JayBros
10-19-2023, 05:05 PM
If I'm on tour I use a custom length cable and the lock tab under the seat. I also have absolutely no qualms about carrying it into a venue and plopping it on a spare chair.

Mikey
10-19-2023, 05:56 PM
I have lid locks on the end of my bars, but to tell you the truth, here in Maine I am most likely to leave it over the center of my bars leaning on my dash, over my GPS. The lid locks work but the helmets hang upside down and make a good pocket for birds to nest in!:roflblack: Really it would take a real butt head to steal some else's lid and put it on their head.

Gwolf
10-19-2023, 06:00 PM
I got a master lock that has about 10 inches of cable. Don't use it much. If anybody steals my helmet, they are really hard up for a helmet.

Haze
10-19-2023, 06:37 PM
I have a pistol chain lock that I run thru the helmet "D" rings and around my handle bars.

2dogs
10-19-2023, 06:47 PM
Lidlox.

Bfromla
10-19-2023, 06:47 PM
Another lid lox & before that various pistol bicycle cable locks. Upside down not good in local drunk A** area:banghead: thankfully have had no issues -personally simply do NOT trust. & when temps in triple digits it come indoors with me. Where allowed- yes helmets have been used as weapons (just be aware). Lid lox can be positioned where helmet can sit on top bar end. Least one side. Have even seen mounted on F3 grab rails

Pirate
10-19-2023, 08:17 PM
Frunk or I have a HD bicycle lock I use and put it thru the opened visor and lock it to the frame.

Lowflyingowl
10-19-2023, 08:27 PM
In the past 13 years I've traveled over 150000 miles on various motorcycles. I've never locked my helmet, and not one has been stolen. I usually hang it from the left side passenger peg, but now on the Spyder I leave it on the seat or the rear rack.

2dogs
10-20-2023, 12:04 AM
Last year after a MC club meeting a member and his wife stopped by a local hardware store to make a purchase. They'd left both their helmets hanging on their MC handlebars. While at the checkout counter in the front portion of the store, they saw two dirtbags in a car come through the parking lot and one dirtbag jumped out and stole both their helmets and then the car sped off. It all happened in less than a minute. So, you never know. It can happen to anyone at any time.

Bfromla
10-20-2023, 12:21 AM
Last year after a MC club meeting a member and his wife stopped by a local hardware store to make a purchase. They'd left both their helmets hanging on their MC handlebars. While at the checkout counter in the front portion of the store, they saw two dirtbags in a car come through the parking lot and one dirtbag jumped out and stole both their helmets and then the car sped off. It all happened in less than a minute. So, you never know. It can happen to anyone at any time. SORRY sad to hear when Northern Kalifornia Worse off than crap A** Shreveport (literally aka ****port)

rjinaz86323
10-20-2023, 12:24 AM
if we are wearing the half helmets they go in the top case. If full face we use the lidlox

ThreeWheels
10-20-2023, 07:54 AM
I just got a set of Lidlox.
I love them.
Before that I'd stuff one helmet in the frunk and another in the right side saddlebag.
I'm thinking of making some kind of cover for the helmets to use while hanging upside down in the Lidlox to keep crap from flying in.
I still take off the Sena headsets and my Garmin and lock them up.

baxter
10-20-2023, 09:10 AM
I am like "lowflyingowl" leave helmet on seat when going into a place for short time otherwise leave in rear or front stowage overnight. I even leave key in ignition when going into to eat or take a break. Must be familiar with a Spyder to figure out how to start and then drive away.

MRH
10-20-2023, 09:25 AM
In the front, side or back compartments most of the time, but if those are full I use Lidlox (during the day - I take it in with me at night if it won't fit in the Spyder). Between the helmet and the communications system, I don't want to leave over a thousand dollars sitting on my seat for any amount of time, no matter how safe others have found that to be.

Lamonster
10-20-2023, 09:26 AM
This is what we use if the trunk is full https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-am-spyder-lidlox-helmet-lock-lamonster/

Deanna777
10-20-2023, 10:47 AM
I put my full face helmet in my trunk, it is out of sight, and locked.

Deanna

Raven
10-20-2023, 10:49 AM
I am like "lowflyingowl" leave helmet on seat when going into a place for short time otherwise leave in rear or front stowage overnight. I even leave key in ignition when going into to eat or take a break. Must be familiar with a Spyder to figure out how to start and then drive away.

Here leaving the key in, is a $2000 fine.
In the winter, people leave their cars running while they warm up or run into a store.
Thieves loved it.
Besides if the key is in the ignition most insurance companies while not cover it.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-20-2023, 12:02 PM
This is what we use if the trunk is full https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-am-spyder-lidlox-helmet-lock-lamonster/

What about helmets that don't use D rings, like Nolan and Shoei? Does the T bar fit through a ratchet clasp?

RayBJ
10-20-2023, 12:09 PM
I'm also a 'trusting' rider that has left my lid on the seat or handlebars for years and 100+ k miles of touring. Never had anything taken or touched. Maybe just luck or the places I stop have less 'dirtbags'. I only stow the lid in the frunk if weather calls for it.

Quickdraw
10-20-2023, 12:20 PM
Mine goes in the top case. Out of sight, out of mind.

WRCLVR
10-20-2023, 12:20 PM
fullface go with us, half helmets go in frunk or trunk...$$$$ worth of helmets, Sena headsets etc ....not gonna leave them out in StealAtlanta....

EdMat
10-20-2023, 02:04 PM
Haven't lost a helmet left on the seat yet, but did l have a pair of gloves removed. Going to eat or shopping or away from the bile over a few minutes I normally carry it in with me.

Peteoz
10-20-2023, 03:27 PM
What about helmets that don't use D rings, like Nolan and Shoei? Does the T bar fit through a ratchet clasp?

Yes, that’s what the t-bar is designed to accommodate, Idaho…..along with odd shaped D rings.:thumbup:

Pete

Spyderpilot
10-20-2023, 04:27 PM
Set it on the seat and drape my crash jacket over it. Just because something isn't cheap doesn't mean it is a great target for thieves.

I agree with you 100%. That is exactly what I do with my helmet(s). My sweaty helmet is not a rich target. In fact, I haven’t locked the ignition on my HD RoadKing for the last 18 years. We went on a week long trip and forgot the fob. I have’t used it since.

Navydad
10-20-2023, 04:30 PM

Mine does.

mikthebik
10-20-2023, 09:46 PM

Yes. Lidlox website says it will and they work on my LS2 Valiant.:ohyea:

redrazor
10-20-2023, 10:03 PM
I drop my helmet (large or small) in the Frunk! Pleanty of room in the RTL along with my gloves and garmin. :ohyea:

narygancy
10-21-2023, 08:30 AM
Like many others, we usually leave the helmets on the seats or handle bars. Never had a problem in 50+ years of riding. However, with that said, sometimes, depending on where we are, I'll use a thin bicycle cable with a combination lock. Run it through whatever's available on the helmet and the grab bar (when we rode 2 wheels I used the sissy bar). I don't use a heavy duty cable, just a thin one. Generally speaking, thieves don't mess with anything with a lock, they're looking for a quick steal. The one I use is small and easy to store when not being used.

Lew L
10-21-2023, 08:40 AM

Mine often just sits on the seat. Wifes custom painted helmet always gets locked in the rt saddle bag. Poor old slow V-Max has a helmet lock from the factory.

Lew L

LongIsland
10-21-2023, 09:17 AM
By myself or on a ride with my bride into the frunk and saddlebag they go. If on a trip and compartments are loaded, I use lidlox but put the helmet or helmets in the bag that it came with to prevent anything from dropping into it or them.

Columbia
10-21-2023, 12:25 PM
We have two "helmet hooks," one on each end of the handlebar. If I'm feeling specially paranoid I have a padlock which slips in the hole in the hook, there for that purpose.

Some with a hacksaw could quickly cut through the hook's plastic. A battery powered, hand-held cutter would work even better. But that same tool could cut the hinges off my Givi cases in short order, too.

Paranoia has to meet reality somewhere, sometime.

My top case sometimes has room for a helmet; same with the frunk.

If all else fails, I carry the helmet(s).

bigbadbrucie
10-21-2023, 07:37 PM
I do the same as many of you do. Usually I Get off the bike and set my lid on the seat, and go shopping, eating, have a cuppa. USUALLY! If I’m in a high crime area I’ll either lock it in the frunk or take it in with me. just my $0.02 worth!

RickWB
10-21-2023, 08:07 PM
My Schuberth modular helmet with comms fits in my Shad saddlebag, or Lidlox.

PMK
10-21-2023, 08:22 PM
If riding two up, and pulling the RT622 trailer, helmets go inside the trailer. If not pulling the trailer, we just carry the helmets with us when needed. If riding single, a helmet fits in the frunk, but storing there is not preferred on account of the heat given off by the adjacent radiators.

KAMJAM
10-25-2023, 12:40 AM

That's what we use when the frunk is full.

NorwegianRT
10-25-2023, 04:32 AM
If alone, I put mine in the frunk. When wife is with me, hers go in the frunk and I carry mine with me. The seat lock wire has snapped,so it is now allways open and I seldom use the "hook" for the helmet under the seat.

CloverHillCrawler
10-25-2023, 04:35 AM
I use a full face so I have a coated cable bicycle lock that I keep with me and just run it through the grab bars. I was thinking about a treestand lock as you can just pull the cable through and tighten it more.

I only use it when in sketch areas. But that still doesn't keep people from screwing with your bluetooth. I worry more about that since I have a sena 50R which is with more than the helmet now.

Redbeard
10-25-2023, 05:16 AM
My full face Shoei won't fit in the frunk. :gaah: It easily fits in the trunk. I figure out of sight is much less likely for it to come up missing. Folks like to have a close look at the spyder and I just prefer for all my pieces of it to remain intact. I live in a safe area yet still am in the habit of placing it out of sight which is helpful when I travel out of town that it is habit to lock it up out of view. A seven hundred dollar helmet, at least to me, is worth locking up.

2023 RT limited

gkamer
10-28-2023, 12:25 PM
My modular helmet fits in the frunk. So depending on where I am and how long I'll be gone I'll stick there along with my gloves.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-28-2023, 12:30 PM
Unless it's raining I wear5 a Half helmet and that fits easily anywhere in my 14 RT ... however it wasn't expensive and it's flat black so I usually leave it on the seat :dontknow: .....Mike :thumbup:

Raven
10-28-2023, 02:31 PM
Places that have helmet laws ( Ontario), if someone steals your helmet you are stuck.
No helmet, no ride.:cus:
Our helmets always come with us.
If someone says I can't bring it with me I leave or ask for a $1000 deposit.

Peteoz
10-28-2023, 05:25 PM
Places that have helmet laws ( Ontario), if someone steals your helmet you are stuck.
No helmet, no ride.:cus:
Our helmets always come with us.
If someone says I can't bring it with me I leave or ask for a $1000 deposit.

Yes, that’s my biggest worry about leaving the helmet on the Spyder, Raven. :thumbup:

Pete

bigbadbrucie
10-28-2023, 05:33 PM
Yes, that’s my biggest worry about leaving the helmet on the Spyder, Raven. :thumbup:

Pete

I always carry my old 1/2 helmet in the frunk, for just that reason (I can still get home).

vondalyn
10-28-2023, 05:49 PM
Lidlox. We've always been able to hang our hemets over the end of the bar, so it's not hanging upside down. There are longer "arms" available now that help with this.

vito1943
11-05-2023, 08:19 AM
I have an RT, not an RTL, and so the only place I have for a helmet to fit is in the frunk. No problem if I am alone, but if my wife is with me, we usually take both helmets with us into the restaurant or wherever we are going. Typically I use the frunk and one of the side cases for our jackets and gloves. I've been riding for over 40 years and have never lost a helmet to a thief or anyone else, but helmet cost is not like it once was. When I first started riding I think my first helmet was about $40. Even in those days that was not much of an expense. But with helmets now routinely costing $700 to $800 its just not worth taking the chance of some loser grabbing my, or our helmets and walking off.

Peacekeeper6
11-05-2023, 09:46 PM
I use my ski/snowboard retractable cable lock similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Retractasafe-Cable-Lock-Color/dp/B001RW167G/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1T45OHV9AUQ2&keywords=dakine%2Bski%2Blocks%2Bcable%2Bretractabl e&qid=1699238559&sprefix=dakine%2Bski%2Blocks%2Bcable%2Bretractable %2Caps%2C152&sr=8-13&th=1

With the helmet on the seat, it keeps the seat cool when it's time to "mount up".

I also sometimes place my helmet in the right saddlebag. I didn't realize that the right has just a tad bit more room than the left, thanks to Lew's wife for pointing that out, LOL.

Lew L
11-06-2023, 12:00 AM
I use my ski/snowboard retractable cable lock similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Retractasafe-Cable-Lock-Color/dp/B001RW167G/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1T45OHV9AUQ2&keywords=dakine%2Bski%2Blocks%2Bcable%2Bretractabl e&qid=1699238559&sprefix=dakine%2Bski%2Blocks%2Bcable%2Bretractable %2Caps%2C152&sr=8-13&th=1

With the helmet on the seat, it keeps the seat cool when it's time to "mount up".

I also sometimes place my helmet in the right saddlebag. I didn't realize that the right has just a tad bit more room than the left, thanks to Lew's wife for pointing that out, LOL.
Nova says you're welcome......
LewL