PDA

View Full Version : RT Talk with a Wrench

michaels cycle
11-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I walked off the street today into my Honda/BRP dealership to see if they got the RT demo in yet.
They had a black version sitting there, the RT-S, so I ask for Brad, the sales manager, but he was out deer hunting for a week.

I didn't take one for a ride, but I scored one better, I sat down and talk to the chief service wrench at the dealership, and pick his brain mainly
about his personal take on the GS and RT Spyders in general, because he services them all.

I trust this guy completely, and a straight shooter. He also services my '03 Goldwing since 2003.
He just got off the internet taking one of many RT service test on line from BRP.

Here's what he said in his own words and he's opinion about the Spyders.

Your opinion is welcome at the end of my posting here

Here goes:

Maintenance: His words, EXPENSIVE using a service center.
He say's the plastic parts are layered in the RT, and it takes time to removed a lot of plastic to get at the part you want.
Getting parts cross the border for them is no problem, BUT the difference is in the dollar makes the price of parts expensive.
(Same will be with the new Goldwings now being produce in Japan.)

Power: He said BRP revamped the RT engine to less horsepower BUT more torque, which he say's has plenty power.
Gas mileage will be less on the RT then my '03 Goldwing, AND, premium gas of 91 octane is recommended.
If you insist on using reg. gas, the computer will call for enriched gas, which will drop your gas mileage.
He said the BRP Rotex is a very reliable engine.

Price on the RT: One word EXPENSIVE. We compared a RT to a regular trike conversion and agreed the RT is a real bargain.
No..... the dealership will not discount the new RT's for now, but then again, they did the same for the GS when it was released.

RT offered in 3 models: He say's the cheaper model would be a mistake to buy. The next two up grades have more bang for the buck,
and the cheaper model comes with less features that would be hard to add later.

Here's were we stand: He said don't get to excited about the Spyder until you ride one. Ride one first, then decide because this is a unit
that either..... you'll love it or hate it.

So Spyders Lovers, this is were I stand, until I take their RT for a ride.

Cheers!

Big Arm
11-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for posting his coments.........keep us posted on your take of things after your ride.

SpyderWolf
11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Sounds like a very logical conversation. I also like his statement at the end about either loving or hating it. That pretty well sums it up for me.

Let us know if you love, or hate, it after you get a chance to ride it. :)

ntxYguy2009
11-20-2009, 03:46 PM
I would agree with the maintenance being more expensive. I watched the BRP tech work on a RT at Lamonster's BBQ and I could not believe the level of destruction he had to do to get to a part. This guy was skilled on the RT and it took him about 45 minutes to get down to the part. There were pieces all over Lamonster's garage.

I have taken the RT for a test ride and have to say that when the time comes to trade in my GS, I will be getting an RT-S.

David

Lamonster
11-20-2009, 03:52 PM
I can get the panels off pretty quick, not too much harder than my RS.
I didn't have the same results as far as mileage goes on the RT. Ran fine and mileage was about the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFWBGCLXNWE

michaels cycle
11-20-2009, 04:16 PM
BTW.......I forgot to mention by just sitting on the in-store RT demo,
the main LED screen that shows all functions seem small to me.
Maybe because I use a larger GPS screen.

Also, I'm 6'1" and the material used on the seat is very comfortable and soft.
I did feel I was sitting lower with my knees higher, but then again I
use a sheep skin gel pad on my Goldwing which is higher and would naturally make my feel lower on the RT.

About that test ride. I just hope this mild weather holds for another week, so I can get my test ride in before the snow flys.

Cheers!

Spyder990cc
11-20-2009, 05:00 PM
I think it was a very logical discussion and respected opinion of someone that works on and builds the Spyder. as far as his last statement just got back from about a 45 min demo ride thru traffic and then up on hwy and I for one love the RT.

jabba11
11-20-2009, 11:24 PM
thanks for posting. it is always nice to hear the opinon of someone you trust that is involved in the busniess of working on and selling the spyder. This is the kind of guy i wish I could find to work on mine. I can get the plastic off reasonably quick as well, but you have to be careful with it or it will get scratched damaged etc. not to mention you have to keep all the screws etc togther. I changed the oil on mine the other day and I would say that it took me 3x as long as it would to change the oil in my jeep.

BajaRon
11-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Getting the plastic on and off (for either the RS or the RT) is most definitely a matter of practice.

Lamont can get his down to the naked frame before I can get the key turned to pop the seat!

Well, maybe not that bad but a little practice definitely cuts the time down a great deal.

dltang
11-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Getting the plastic on and off (for either the RS or the RT) is most definitely a matter of practice.

Lamont can get his down to the naked frame before I can get the key turned to pop the seat!

Well, maybe not that bad but a little practice definitely cuts the time down a great deal.

This might sound terrible and maybe not a very appropriate analogy but here goes. Reminds me of the ole show Happy Days where the Fonz is showing the guys how to undo a bra quickly. He has it down to just a click and the others are all thumbs...LOL Sorry, that is just what popped in my head.

BumbleBee
11-21-2009, 05:15 AM
I walked off the street today into my Honda/BRP dealership to see if they got the RT demo in yet.
They had a black version sitting there, the RT-S, so I ask for Brad, the sales manager, but he was out deer hunting for a week.

I didn't take one for a ride, but I scored one better, I sat down and talk to the chief service wrench at the dealership, and pick his brain mainly
about his personal take on the GS and RT Spyders in general, because he services them all.

I trust this guy completely, and a straight shooter. He also services my '03 Goldwing since 2003.
He just got off the internet taking one of many RT service test on line from BRP.

Here's what he said in his own words and he's opinion about the Spyders.

Your opinion is welcome at the end of my posting here

Here goes:

Maintenance: His words, EXPENSIVE using a service center.
He say's the plastic parts are layered in the RT, and it takes time to removed a lot of plastic to get at the part you want.
Getting parts cross the border for them is no problem, BUT the difference is in the dollar makes the price of parts expensive.
(Same will be with the new Goldwings now being produce in Japan.)

Power: He said BRP revamped the RT engine to less horsepower BUT more torque, which he say's has plenty power.
Gas mileage will be less on the RT then my '03 Goldwing, AND, premium gas of 91 octane is recommended.
If you insist on using reg. gas, the computer will call for enriched gas, which will drop your gas mileage.
He said the BRP Rotex is a very reliable engine.

Price on the RT: One word EXPENSIVE. We compared a RT to a regular trike conversion and agreed the RT is a real bargain.
No..... the dealership will not discount the new RT's for now, but then again, they did the same for the GS when it was released.

RT offered in 3 models: He say's the cheaper model would be a mistake to buy. The next two up grades have more bang for the buck,
and the cheaper model comes with less features that would be hard to add later.

Here's were we stand: He said don't get to excited about the Spyder until you ride one. Ride one first, then decide because this is a unit
that either..... you'll love it or hate it.

So Spyders Lovers, this is were I stand, until I take their RT for a ride.

Cheers!

:2thumbs: Keep us posted. When you place your order, add your name to our RT list;

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14987&page=5

Lamonster
11-21-2009, 09:15 AM
This might sound terrible and maybe not a very appropriate analogy but here goes. Reminds me of the ole show Happy Days where the Fonz is showing the guys how to undo a bra quickly. He has it down to just a click and the others are all thumbs...LOL Sorry, that is just what popped in my head.
:2thumbs:

michaels cycle
11-21-2009, 09:11 PM
:2thumbs: Keep us posted. When you place your order, add your name to our RT list;

Ok........ not to get to far off the subject of my post here but here's what's holding me up if I decide to buy a RT.

First .....I wouldn't pay premium $$$$ for something that "demand determines price". The RT is new, and the dealers will be asking top dollars.

Second...... I ride a Goldwing, and to talk trade, the dealership will give me crap for my trade just to make their buck on resale of my Goldwing.

So, you see, there's more to all this then just a test ride.

I'm a little crazy at times but I'm not stupid to give my Goldwing away to some RT dealership.

Just my 2 cents

ddaybc
11-29-2009, 05:37 PM

Practice definitely cuts the time down when it comes to servicing your ride. The first time I changed the air filter on my '05 wing it took almost three hours what with reading the service manual, taking parts off, re-reading the manual, take more parts off, re-re-reading the manual etc. and then put it all back together. I can now change the air filter in about an hour. Stick with it, the learning curve is worth it.

Questions
11-30-2009, 12:07 AM
We had an 06 Gold Wing, and now the RTS. I would say that the Gold Wing is superior to the RTS, IF: You are tall enough, feel comfortable and confident with it.

Now if you are like me at 5'3" the Gold Wing is not an option, actually the very best best option as of today is the RTS. For a person that wants an exceptional touring machine the RTS is the way to go.

Someone may say the Gold Wing Trike might be an option in my case, however they are at least $10K more then an RTS and don't even come close to the RTS in style, handling, comfort, or safety.

I think comparing a two wheeler experience to the spyder experience is apple to oranges, but you can compare what you will use if for, like me I wanted a tourer, and I am SOOOOO very happy with the RTS I can not say enough.

I have always selected my bikes first based on what I want to do, tour, sport touring, dual sport, full off road, then I go get the best for that activity that fits me phyically and of course my budget.