PDA

View Full Version : Got my Speedbleeders today! Straight forward install?

NorwegianRT
10-17-2023, 09:45 AM
Hi all!

Got my order from Speed Bleeders today. Just for the calipers, not the ABS pump.
I also got the tubing and the bag.

Anything to watch out for other than keep area clean while changing bleeders?
I reckon there will be some brake fluid spilling out during the job.

Ride safely all.

BertRemington
10-17-2023, 10:57 AM
Use alcohol or water as brake cleaner can be overly aggressive.

Use 6-point tools to reduce the possibility of rounding the small hexes. The Speedbleeders might be SAE rather than metric -- I forget try both.

The gray goo is critical to the Speedbleeder function so don't wear it out. No more than 1/2 turn to release; try just 1/4 turn first.

If you can, starting by removing old fluid from reservoirs then filling with new fluid. Watch fluid levels carefully. If you get air in the system expect to spend hours getting it out. Every three brake pedal pumps check the levels!

Make at least two trips around the system: LF, RF and rear with at least 2oz fluid flushed from each caliper per trip.

Best wishes.

NorwegianRT
10-17-2023, 03:15 PM
Use alcohol or water as brake cleaner can be overly aggressive.

Use 6-point tools to reduce the possibility of rounding the small hexes. The Speedbleeders might be SAE rather than metric -- I forget try both.

The gray goo is critical to the Speedbleeder function so don't wear it out. No more than 1/2 turn to release; try just 1/4 turn first.

If you can, starting by removing old fluid from reservoirs then filling with new fluid. Watch fluid levels carefully. If you get air in the system expect to spend hours getting it out. Every three brake pedal pumps check the levels!

Make at least two trips around the system: LF, RF and rear with at least 2oz fluid flushed from each caliper per trip.

Best wishes.

Thank you for advise Bert :thumbup:
I changed the brake fluid last May, so I thought of just topping up reservoirs after the install of the speedbleeders for now. But if the fluid comming out looks a bit dark, I might do another full change !

Thank you again and safe rides !

Gwolf
10-17-2023, 04:17 PM
I suggest you tie the brake pedal back so it can't be accidentally pressed or pressed by some un-indoctrinated helper.

I used to tie the brake pedals up and put blocks of wood behind the hand levers, then duct tape them.

Some people walking by a bike just ave to pull on the levers or press the brakes. You won't lose much if the brake pedal is not pressed.

Putting clean rags around under the bleeders will catch most of what might come out. Should not be under any pressure when you open them.

NorwegianRT
10-17-2023, 04:56 PM
I suggest you tie the brake pedal back so it can't be accidentally pressed or pressed by some un-indoctrinated helper.

I used to tie the brake pedals up and put blocks of wood behind the hand levers, then duct tape them.

Some people walking by a bike just ave to pull on the levers or press the brakes. You won't lose much if the brake pedal is not pressed.

Putting clean rags around under the bleeders will catch most of what might come out. Should not be under any pressure when you open them.

Good ideas Gwolf :thumbup:
I will make sure I have the garage to myself when doing the job !

Gwolf
10-18-2023, 04:22 AM
Good ideas Gwolf :thumbup:
I will make sure I have the garage to myself when doing the job !

Yeah, it just seems to be a thing people have to do. If they sit on a bike, they just gotta blip the throttle about 20 times. On the old carb bikes, the throttle blip would shoot a stream of gas into the carburetor, when it activated the accelerator pump. . They would flood the engine playing with the throttle. Then they would have to play with the clutch and the brake levers. Then they would feel like they had to click all the switches on the handlebars.

Best not to have any of those kind of people in the shop when you got the bleeders out.

If you are old and have problems getting off the floor, you might even press the brake pedal yourself, accidentally. It has happened.

DriftersWay
10-18-2023, 04:48 AM
Hi all!

Got my order from Speed Bleeders today. Just for the calipers, not the ABS pump.
I also got the tubing and the bag.

Anything to watch out for other than keep area clean while changing bleeders?
I reckon there will be some brake fluid spilling out during the job.

Ride safely all.

Would you by chance have a picture of the bleeders? And where did you order them from. Thanks

Gwolf
10-18-2023, 04:54 AM
Would you by chance have a picture of the bleeders? And where did you order them from. Thanks

Just put 'Speed Bleeders for Can Am Spyder' into a search engine.

Little Blue
10-18-2023, 04:59 AM
If you have problems getting up off the floor, you might press the brake pedal yourself, accidentally. It has happened. .....:spyder:

I have been known to do that occasionally. Talk about a real nightmare. ....:thumbup:

Good Luck on Your Mission.

NorwegianRT
10-18-2023, 05:06 AM

Here is a link to their webshop: http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Look under "motorcycle applications " and then choose "CanAm" - There you can find your make and model and bleeders part number !

NorwegianRT
10-18-2023, 05:11 AM
If you have problems getting up off the floor, you might press the brake pedal yourself, accidentally. It has happened. .....:spyder:

I have been known to do that occasionally. Talk about a real nightmare. ....:thumbup:

Good Luck on Your Mission.

Well, I am fortunate to have a Big Blue lift for the Spyder, but I can see what you mean Little Blue and thank you !

Grayfox
10-18-2023, 01:40 PM
Put speed bleeders on my 2012 this spring. Just for the calipers love them easy job.

davev1pa
10-21-2023, 08:53 PM
Hello NorwegianRT,
Hey, I am still enjoying the trunk lid support you designed and file you sent to me. I have made 2... using an online 3d company for $15/EACH. In regards to the speed bleeders ... just a simple remove and replace ... it'd be a travesty if you lose more than a couple drops of DOT fluid .... this was so easy ... I did it. I did order the ABS Speed Bleeder but did not install as I had no BUDS and the exchanged fluid is minimal IMO...

PMK
10-21-2023, 09:11 PM
Friend purchased Speed Bleeders for his Spyder. Will install them on his Spyder soon since the weather is getting nice, and I will do the complete flush and bleed using BUDS2 for him.

Our Spyder is due for another complete flush and bleed. Considered buying the Speed Bleeders for our Spyder, but was not impressed by them, so will continue with old school proven bleeders. Not seeing any advantage when using brake system vacuum bleed equipment and degassed fluid.

2dogs
10-21-2023, 10:38 PM
The vacuum system works well if done correctly. It only takes one person and spillage is just about nonexistent.

NorwegianRT
10-22-2023, 03:33 AM
Hello NorwegianRT,
Hey, I am still enjoying the trunk lid support you designed and file you sent to me. I have made 2... using an online 3d company for $15/EACH. In regards to the speed bleeders ... just a simple remove and replace ... it'd be a travesty if you lose more than a couple drops of DOT fluid .... this was so easy ... I did it. I did order the ABS Speed Bleeder but did not install as I had no BUDS and the exchanged fluid is minimal IMO...

Hiya Dave !
Pleased to hear the lid support is still working fine :thumbup: My speedbleeders will be put in next spring as my RT is now in hybernation. First snow have come and gone over here allready.

Ride safe.

DriftersWay
10-22-2023, 04:50 AM
Well, that didn't work . But I was able to find them. thanks for the help. I have them ordered. :)

NorwegianRT
10-22-2023, 12:56 PM
Well, that didn't work . But I was able to find them. thanks for the help. I have them ordered. :)

So sorry my link was not the correct one, but glad you figure it out yourself :thumbup: