PDA

View Full Version : Got Fault code P0340 - where is the Crank Position Sensor? Any Pics or Drawings??

Fearless
10-15-2023, 10:21 PM
G'day all
Got a engine check warning last week. Pulled the code P0340 and Spyder Codes tells me its a crank position sensor.

Question being, where is the sensor located. My manual does not show anything about sensors or their location.

Could anyone perhaps show a drawing or photo or describe where its location .

Bike is 2014RTs SE6.

Cheers all.

Frank

Mikey
10-16-2023, 05:10 AM
Tell us what you're riding?!

hypurone
10-16-2023, 11:40 AM
My list of codes says that P0340 is for the CAMshaft sensor, which is on the right side of the engine, on the backside, near-ish the waterpump... VERY easy to change, I did mine in 10mins. One connector and one bolt. Mine failed due to oil intrusion into the sensor itself... Part is about 80.00 new Part #420664049 is the updated one IIRC...

PS For anyone that may be wondering why the engine response feels soft or not what it used to be, this could be your culprit! I was feeling like mine was running less responsive and not revving like it used to... Then one day I got the limp home notice (even though I was still doing 80+ and rode home 45mins that way!) and once I changed this sensor, it was like I gained a cylinder back!! So the sensor was impeding performance long before I got the actual code for it!!

BertRemington
10-16-2023, 12:23 PM
I have argued the ECM can derive camshaft position using the MAP data. Obviously it won't be as accurate as the camshaft sensor but it would be enough to keep the engine running. Your observation of "soft" engine performance without any console indications supports my argument. Thanks for relating this information.

jjc54
10-16-2023, 01:19 PM
Replaced my cam position sensor on my 2016 Spyder last month after the limp mode episode. Mine was on the right side close to the fuel filter. Notable performance enhancement.